ADVERTISEMENT

No. 18 Rutgers Wrestling Treks to 2022 Ken Kraft Midlands Championships

Soldano has gotten completely outmuscled by his last few opponents. They are massive compared to him.

What does Soldano actually weigh in at? He looks so much smaller than all these guys.

Soldano should go 174…hes really short and doesn’t carry all that much muscle…if he had the Scottie winston body type I could see him staying at 84

Team Scores
Printed on 12/30/2022 08:24 p.m.

Team​
Abbr​
Score​
Northwestern​
NU​
118.0​
Penn​
PENN​
115.0​
Pittsburgh​
Pitt​
115.0​
Wisconsin​
WI​
114.5​
Illinois​
IL​
104.5​
Arizona State​
ASU​
86.0​
Rutgers​
RUT​
85.0​
Princeton​
PRIN​
65.0​
SIU Edwardsville​
SIUE​
64.5​
Harvard​
HARV​
55.5​
Virginia​
VI​
53.0​
West Virginia​
WV​
49.0​
Northern Illinois​
NIU​
40.0​
Lehigh​
LEH​
36.5​
Indiana​
IN​
34.0​
Missouri​
MIZZ​
28.0​
Unattached​
UN​
27.5​
Central Michigan​
CMU​
24.5​
UW-Whitewater​
UWW​
22.0​
NC State​
NCSU​
20.0​
Bloomsburg​
BLOO​
19.5​
George Mason​
GMU​
19.0​
Michigan​
MICH​
18.5​
Cleveland State​
CSU​
17.5​
Franklin & Marshall​
F&M​
16.5​
Navy Prep​
NAPS​
16.5​
Brown​
BU​
14.0​
Rhode Island College​
RIC​
11.0​
Oklahoma​
OU​
8.0​
Thomas More​
TM​
6.5​
Buffalo​
BUFF​
6.0​
Pennsylvania RTC​
PRTC​
3.5​
North Carolina​
UNC​
3.0​
Purdue​
PURD​
3.0​
Illinois RTC​
IRTC​
2.5​
U. of Chicago​
CHI​
2.5​
Omega Training Center​
OMEG​
2.0​
Air Force​
AFA​
1.0​
California Baptist​
CBU​
0.0​
Cornell​
CORN​
0.0​
Harper College​
HC​
0.0​
Iowa​
IA​
0.0​
Michigsn State​
MSU​
0.0​
Nebraska-UN​
NEB​
0.0​
North Central College​
NCC​
0.0​
Triton Junior College​
TRJC​
0.0​

Team Scores
Printed on 12/30/2022 08:24 p.m.

Team​
Abbr​
Score​
Northwestern​
NU​
118.0​
Penn​
PENN​
115.0​
Pittsburgh​
Pitt​
115.0​
Wisconsin​
WI​
114.5​
Illinois​
IL​
104.5​
Arizona State​
ASU​
86.0​
Rutgers​
RUT​
85.0​
Princeton​
PRIN​
65.0​
SIU Edwardsville​
SIUE​
64.5​
Harvard​
HARV​
55.5​
Virginia​
VI​
53.0​
West Virginia​
WV​
49.0​
Northern Illinois​
NIU​
40.0​
Lehigh​
LEH​
36.5​
Indiana​
IN​
34.0​
Missouri​
MIZZ​
28.0​
Unattached​
UN​
27.5​
Central Michigan​
CMU​
24.5​
UW-Whitewater​
UWW​
22.0​
NC State​
NCSU​
20.0​
Bloomsburg​
BLOO​
19.5​
George Mason​
GMU​
19.0​
Michigan​
MICH​
18.5​
Cleveland State​
CSU​
17.5​
Franklin & Marshall​
F&M​
16.5​
Navy Prep​
NAPS​
16.5​
Brown​
BU​
14.0​
Rhode Island College​
RIC​
11.0​
Oklahoma​
OU​
8.0​
Thomas More​
TM​
6.5​
Buffalo​
BUFF​
6.0​
Pennsylvania RTC​
PRTC​
3.5​
North Carolina​
UNC​
3.0​
Purdue​
PURD​
3.0​
Illinois RTC​
IRTC​
2.5​
U. of Chicago​
CHI​
2.5​
Omega Training Center​
OMEG​
2.0​
Air Force​
AFA​
1.0​
California Baptist​
CBU​
0.0​
Cornell​
CORN​
0.0​
Harper College​
HC​
0.0​
Iowa​
IA​
0.0​
Michigsn State​
MSU​
0.0​
Nebraska-UN​
NEB​
0.0​
North Central College​
NCC​
0.0​
Triton Junior College​
TRJC​
0.0​
That's not very good. Especially when you look at the amount of participants we had.

Team Scores
Printed on 12/30/2022 08:33 p.m.

Team​
Abbr​
Score​
Northwestern​
NU​
122.0​
Penn​
PENN​
115.0​
Pittsburgh​
Pitt​
115.0​
Wisconsin​
WI​
114.5​
Illinois​
IL​
104.5​
Arizona State​
ASU​
86.0​
Rutgers​
RUT​
85.0​
Princeton​
PRIN​
65.0​
SIU Edwardsville​
SIUE​
64.5​
Harvard​
HARV​
55.5​
Virginia​
VI​
53.0​
West Virginia​
WV​
49.0​
Northern Illinois​
NIU​
40.0​
Lehigh​
LEH​
36.5​
Indiana​
IN​
34.0​
Missouri​
MIZZ​
28.0​
Unattached​
UN​
27.5​
Central Michigan​
CMU​
24.5​
UW-Whitewater​
UWW​
22.0​
NC State​
NCSU​
20.0​
Bloomsburg​
BLOO​
19.5​
George Mason​
GMU​
19.0​
Michigan​
MICH​
18.5​
Cleveland State​
CSU​
17.5​
Franklin & Marshall​
F&M​
16.5​
Navy Prep​
NAPS​
16.5​
Brown​
BU​
14.0​
Rhode Island College​
RIC​
11.0​
Oklahoma​
OU​
8.0​
Thomas More​
TM​
6.5​
Buffalo​
BUFF​
6.0​
Pennsylvania RTC​
PRTC​
3.5​
North Carolina​
UNC​
3.0​
Purdue​
PURD​
3.0​
Illinois RTC​
IRTC​
2.5​
U. of Chicago​
CHI​
2.5​
Omega Training Center​
OMEG​
2.0​
Air Force​
AFA​
1.0​
California Baptist​
CBU​
0.0​
Cornell​
CORN​
0.0​
Harper College​
HC​
0.0​
Iowa​
IA​
0.0​
Michigsn State​
MSU​
0.0​
Nebraska-UN​
NEB​
0.0​
North Central College​
NCC​
0.0​
Triton Junior College​
TRJC​
0.0​

That's not very good. Especially when you look at the amount of participants we had.
Do not think we had a good tournament, but you can only score one wrestler per weight. So Olivieri 7 points, Shawver 5 points are not counted in the team score.

Most years were a better tournament team than dual. This year it’s the opposite. I think we have enough quality guys to win duals but no one is going to go particularly far in tournament. We’re also punting at 165, and we’re physically hurting at 174 and 197.

I have higher expectations for Sammy. I would say his first, second(Penn back-up 3-2 win) and semi-loss were not good matches. Prior to the season, I expected Sammy to be a high AA. I did like how he closed out his 3rd place match and that is the Sammy that I expect each time out. If he wrestles like that each time out, I think he will AA....but he needs to show it each time out.
Just what exactly are those expectations based on? He hasn't finished a season yet... I agree that he has the talent to go with. and beat the best at his weight... But he hasn't had a lot of matches the past 2 years... He's also at a new weight and that takes an adjustment... Like I said, I think he had a pretty good tourny. As he finished a lot stronger then he started... Good confidence booster... But he still has a lot to improve on also... I just feel that before placing any real expectations, we need to see a bigger body of work... There's still a lot of question marks... But they will hopefully start getting answered as we enter the B1G slate...

I am gonna sound like PessimisticallyHopefulPragmatist. But can't ignore our results based on expectations

The coaches meet for seeding meetings and based on the coaches' agreement we underperformed expectations.

Peterson Seeded 4th and medically forfeited for 4th. Wrestled well
Shaver Seeded 6th and didn't place - needs to get off bottom
Heilman Seeded 2nd and finished 5th - needs to get off bottom
Alvarez Seeded 2nd and finished 3rd - Looked good after initial 2 bouts
White Seeded 7th and didn't place
Clark Seeded 8th and finished 6th -gained confidence for rest of season
Turley Seeded 4th and didn't place - didn't seem that he liked wrestling
Soldano Seeded 1st and finished 4th - competition has gone to school
Boone - Seeded 5th and finished 8th - needs big man coach

Team was projected to finish 2nd or 3rd and finished 7th

I place our performance on the coaches and not preparing our guys.Some seemed tired, delayed returning to the center of the mat, and used energy complaining to refs. Our weak schedule didn't prepare us for this competition. Now, next up we have Bloomsbury and Rider. The California tourney was weak and Clarion, Sacred Heart, and Drexel don't prepare us. Tired of wrestling the sisters of the poor. Coach blames Big Ten scheduling. Somehow, other Big Ten teams scheduled much better competition.

My pet peeve is coaches always yelling instructions to wrestlers during the match. Buxton seems as our only coach who is calm and provides valuable instructions as needed. Sanderson remains quiet most of the time and prepares his guys in practice. I know there are coaches like the Brands brothers who scream and win. Just seems that some of our coaches yell so much that it is hard for our guys to concentrate. Just my pet peeve. Don't know if it has merit.

Still concerned about our lack of a big man coach. Don't think bringing Lawson in is the solution. He helps. But we need a big man coach.

Wonder if Soldano could go 174 and Poz 184 in the future. Hope we can retain Poz and Shawver. With an active portal, kids may look around.

Also concerned that our incoming recruiting class is weak. Coaches really need to bring in top kids from the class of 2024.

I know that where we finish in March is what really counts and not an underwhelming performance in December. I remain hopeful and refused to throw in the towel. At the same time, can't ignore the facts. Just seems to be the same story most years. Would love to be a consistent top ten team.

• Haha
Reactions: mikemessner
Wasn't this also one of the weaker Midlands field with regard to competition? I think we all like Goodale, but it does seem like we spend a lot of time rationalizing overall team performances that do not meet expectations or individuals who just don't seem to be getting better. Have we capitalized on Ashnault and Suriano winning individual championships a few years ago? Its a tough sport and roster construction is always a challenge but are we looking at another long season in the B1G? Being young is only a good thing if progress is identifiable. We don't seem to be able sustain a high level of performance. Each year many top teams seem to care less about duals but not sure we are going to win many this year regardless.

I agree with that sentiment. We struggle to get something going and sustaining it. I have a lot of respect for Goodale getting the program to where it is. But have my doubts that it will move forward from here. Honestly, the Ashnsult leaving concerns me the way that did. I’d love to see them turn the program over to Ashnault or Donnie. I just feel where we are, we are at a plateau and hard to see us breaking through.

I am gonna sound like PessimisticallyHopefulPragmatist. But can't ignore our results based on expectations
No, you don't sound like me; I always spell Shawver's name correctly 😊 You've been one of the few besides me to point to the issues, but have done a better job of injecting optimism too.

There seem to be many more expressing concern than is usual at this point of the season. Even NJSC has had moments of truth. My pre-tournament prediction about this tournament being the annual WTF moment went ignored, then again after the WTF moment occurred. It really isn't hard to predict when there is year after year of the same thing happening. I just wonder with amazement how so many can be surprised.

What are some of the common themes? Stuck on bottom, Not finishing. Although I was surprised to see Soldano ridden. I suppose I was wrong about having him go 197; I thought he would be strong enough and didn't know he was as small as he is. He does wrestle a power style. I had also pointed out that his funky back-exposing style would get him in trouble. Yes, it was obvious, so why isn't he getting coached out of it? When you know something can only take you so far, it makes sense to change. He certainly has the skill to adjust and still wrestle a dominant style. I don't remember Poz having those issues.

Now, using Blue's format...
Peterson Yeah, it seems he's the guy going forward
Shawver Dylan is one of the few that has improved year-over-year. Wish he had RS
Heilman As expected
Alvarez Troubles aren't over. He can do it, but will he?
White Expected better, although not uncommon that first year was his best
Clark I'm glad to see him doing well. He took a beating last year up two weights
O'Neill I really thought he'd do better. Is it sucking weight or lacking confidence?
Turley He'll need to get stronger and in better cardio or continue floundering
Soldano Big talent. I hope this isn't his best year
Janzer Done. This is why I was pushing for Soldano to go 197 even if wrong choice
Boone Big improvement, still some good potential

We've got four solid guys, three developing, and three weak spots. Enough to be competitive but not to beat any good teams.

What will be different next year? Really, what will be different? Unless I overestimate Buxton's abilities, he should be put in charge of wrestler development. If things don't change, things won't change. And BTW, Ferrari isn't coming.

Happy new year to all.

I agree with that sentiment. We struggle to get something going and sustaining it. I have a lot of respect for Goodale getting the program to where it is. But have my doubts that it will move forward from here. Honestly, the Ashnsult leaving concerns me the way that did. I’d love to see them turn the program over to Ashnault or Donnie. I just feel where we are, we are at a plateau and hard to see us breaking through.
Deja Vu should make things obvious at some point, except for the cheerleaders. There is no reason to believe the program will improve until there is evidence of something being done differently. Sound reasonable? I hope so. Be careful to assume that Donnie or Ashnault could improve the program. Head coach is essentially a management position. Management skills are much different from wrestling skills and knowledge. The wrestling program is an organization and needs to be run like one. It isn't easy to put that all together and it doesn't come naturally to most people, so you cannot assume a great wrestler will be a good coach. A good manager could start to put it all together even if he has little wrestling experience. He would know how to develop a process and delegate responsibilities. Of course, someone with a solid wrestling background that also knows how to manage would be better. My high school's wrestling coach never wrestled, yet became one of the best coaches in the state and a hall of fame inductee.

Reactions: FoxRU
No, you don't sound like me; I always spell Shawver's name correctly 😊 You've been one of the few besides me to point to the issues, but have done a better job of injecting optimism too.

There seem to be many more expressing concern than is usual at this point of the season. Even NJSC has had moments of truth. My pre-tournament prediction about this tournament being the annual WTF moment went ignored, then again after the WTF moment occurred. It really isn't hard to predict when there is year after year of the same thing happening. I just wonder with amazement how so many can be surprised.

What are some of the common themes? Stuck on bottom, Not finishing. Although I was surprised to see Soldano ridden. I suppose I was wrong about having him go 197; I thought he would be strong enough and didn't know he was as small as he is. He does wrestle a power style. I had also pointed out that his funky back-exposing style would get him in trouble. Yes, it was obvious, so why isn't he getting coached out of it? When you know something can only take you so far, it makes sense to change. He certainly has the skill to adjust and still wrestle a dominant style. I don't remember Poz having those issues.

Now, using Blue's format...
Peterson Yeah, it seems he's the guy going forward
Shawver Dylan is one of the few that has improved year-over-year. Wish he had RS
Heilman As expected
Alvarez Troubles aren't over. He can do it, but will he?
White Expected better, although not uncommon that first year was his best
Clark I'm glad to see him doing well. He took a beating last year up two weights
O'Neill I really thought he'd do better. Is it sucking weight or lacking confidence?
Turley He'll need to get stronger and in better cardio or continue floundering
Soldano Big talent. I hope this isn't his best year
Janzer Done. This is why I was pushing for Soldano to go 197 even if wrong choice
Boone Big improvement, still some good potential

We've got four solid guys, three developing, and three weak spots. Enough to be competitive but not to beat any good teams.

What will be different next year? Really, what will be different? Unless I overestimate Buxton's abilities, he should be put in charge of wrestler development. If things don't change, things won't change. And BTW, Ferrari isn't coming.

Happy new year to all.
When you say Ferrari isn’t coming I’m assuming that’s Angelo.. and why are you so certain?

Ashnault isn’t ready to coach yet and Pritzlaff is already in the room so I don’t know what would with him as head coach instead. I don’t have any issues with Goodale and I still think he’s the right guy for the job. I think so think we’ve hit a bit of a dry spell in recruiting outside of Soldano. Gotta get more blue chip recruits.

When you say Ferrari isn’t coming I’m assuming that’s Angelo.. and why are you so certain?
He’s completely guessing. Even though we’re in the final 5 we’d all be pleasantly surprised if we landed him but that won’t stop him from bragging about how right he was for making this prediction if Ferrari goes elsewhere.

It's just an opinion; I have no direct information. I watch and make my predictions based on the past and what I think I see. In this case, I'm not very interested in seeing him come to Rutgers. There is just too much evidence of potential trouble. Sure, he isn't his brothers, but he is from the same nest. His family will follow. Aside from my personal opinion of the bunch of them, I think a lot of NJ top kids that have had ties to Rutger's wrestling feel an obligation to include Rutgers in their top list. Even when it gets dwindled down, Rutgers is there and becomes a near miss. We almost landed (insert name). In the case of Ferrari, I think they blow smoke up the ass of whoever they can get something from. They strike me as users. All of that aside, look at his list and realize that Rutgers is the bottom performer. Why would he come to Rutgers unless he is able to get some sweet deal for his family too? I didn't expect Mullen to come either. He held out until he found a good excuse.

Let's try something else. What do you really think? I know it is very difficult for some people to be totally objective... and impossible for certain others. Imagine yourself as an agent or even just someone unconnected that the kid comes to for advice. You assess his skills and potential and in this case, he appears to have high potential. He shows you his list of offers (refer to his list). Now, put on your objective hat. What would you recommend he do? Be honest.

Let's try something else. What do you really think? I know it is very difficult for some people to be totally objective... and impossible for certain others. Imagine yourself as an agent or even just someone unconnected that the kid comes to for advice. You assess his skills and potential and in this case, he appears to have high potential. He shows you his list of offers (refer to his list). Now, put on your objective hat. What would you recommend he do? Be honest.
He ain't coming here ...AJ didn't come here and his sister was dating one of our wrestlers at the time so even with that hometown state connection he went elsewhere ..this brother will do the same ..I see no reason why he would wanna come here

• Haha
Reactions: mikemessner
Ashnault isn’t ready to coach yet and Pritzlaff is already in the room so I don’t know what would with him as head coach instead. I don’t have any issues with Goodale and I still think he’s the right guy for the job. I think so think we’ve hit a bit of a dry spell in recruiting outside of Soldano. Gotta get more blue chip recruits.
Agreed that he isn’t ready. But at one point he will be and I believe he will make an excellent coach. The bottom line in my eyes is that the program seems to have plateaued and the climate between NIL $ and changes in media technology has changed considerably since Goody came here. I hope I’m wrong, but it would seem that these changes are only going to make it more challenging not less that the current administration will be able to break through the ceiling.

I place our performance on the coaches and not preparing our guys.Some seemed tired, delayed returning to the center of the mat, and used energy complaining to refs. Our weak schedule didn't prepare us for this competition. Now, next up we have Bloomsbury and Rider. The California tourney was weak and Clarion, Sacred Heart, and Drexel don't prepare us. Tired of wrestling the sisters of the poor. Coach blames Big Ten scheduling. Somehow, other Big Ten teams scheduled much better competition.

WTF...STOP...Who prepares for a Christmas Tournament? Pretty funny You forgot to mention dual against #4 Arizona State and top 20 Princeton

Blue Mountain is a PSU Lover and should be worrying about why they are so bad at 125lbs for past couple seasons

Last edited:
Reactions: Leonard23
Firstly, I want to say not every elite recruit wants to go to an established elite school.. and secondly we already proved we can take an elite prospect(Suriano/Ash) and turn them into ncaa champ.. so this narrative of we can’t develop wrestlers or they can’t win here gotta stop.. ultimately, it’s up to the wrestler how far they wanna get in this sport and the best got mindset so strong they can succeed anywhere.

Next, when a recruit takes a visit it’s not just mainly where they see best fit for them athletically, but also academically, socially, financially, comfortability, and chemistry they feel for teammates and coaches.. I’ve watched the interviews of AJ before he committed and it’s my belief we were his firm second.. he liked the culture we were building and seemed to have that Italian connection to Goodale.. ultimately the allure of wrestling for his childhood hero was too strong.. that being said, his good experience during visit here probably rubbed off on Angelo and RU was the only team on his first and most recent list so we probably got a shot if the chips fall right.. but yeah with the recent miss of Mullen I can understand why some ppl rather not get their hopes up and just rather believe not and avoid disappointment.

Reactions: Leonard23
WTF...STOP...Who prepares for a Christmas Tournament?
Wow. Silly to prepare for a Christmas tournament? A time of giving, right? I think some of the kids there prepared pretty well. I'm trying to think of something dumber I've heard in this forum and I just can't, not even from the other two dummies.
Blue Mountain is a PSU Lover and should be worrying about why they are so bad at 125lbs for past couple seasons
Bluemountain, you too are now a Penn State fan. You have to be if you criticize the Rutgers program, don't you know? The idiocy is staggering.

Happy New Year everyone. I know for a fact the coaches are working with BS to develop a well rounded and broader attack. Tough job. I would not want that assignment

Reactions: Leonard23 and MS-RU
Wow. Silly to prepare for a Christmas tournament? A time of giving, right? I think some of the kids there prepared pretty well. I'm trying to think of something dumber I've heard in this forum and I just can't, not even from the other two dummies.

Bluemountain, you too are now a Penn State fan. You have to be if you criticize the Rutgers program, don't you know? The idiocy is stagg...Of coarse guys prepare for every match as do coaches but we are early in season and the

Bluemountain, you too are now a Penn State fan. You have to be if you criticize the Rutgers program, don't you know? The idiocy is staggering.
Thanks Professor!

• Haha
Reactions: SCNJ
What a stupid comment. You genuinely believe PSU fans are worried about 125?

How did this comment come to mind when discussing how Rutgers stunk at Midlands?

Happy New Year everyone. I know for a fact the coaches are working with BS to develop a well rounded and broader attack. Tough job. I would not want that assignment
Soldano will be fine! He will tweak his style and continue to get better. Remember his Freshman year at High Point-He did not place at States. He came back Soph year with adjustments and dominated the next 3 years. No worries about him.

What a stupid comment. You genuinely believe PSU fans are worried about 125?

How did this comment come to mind when discussing how Rutgers stunk at Midlands?
You guys have a Bat signal or something similar over there on the psu dysfunctional site?

You guys have a Bat signal or something similar over there on the psu dysfunctional site?
Considering RU is my 2nd favorite team, I do browse here but truthfully not much to like with this years team.

That being said PSU is my favorite team and when I see an off the wall comment like that, I wonder if the fan base at RU is as delusional as that guy.

And you’re out of your mind if you believe the PSU site is “dysfunctional” compared to this one.

The knowledge of the two sites are not even comparable.

Considering RU is my 2nd favorite team, I do browse here but truthfully not much to like with this years team.

That being said PSU is my favorite team and when I see an off the wall comment like that, I wonder if the fan base at RU is as delusional as that guy.

And you’re out of your mind if you believe the PSU site is “dysfunctional” compared to this one.

The knowledge of the two sites are not even comparable.
Any board that has "matter" as a part of it is dysfunctional. Apparently, you weren't around here when your nutjobs relentlessly attacked this board during the Suriano situation. You guys come off like a cult trying to live vicariously through Dear leader Sanderson and his 19yr. old minions.

• Haha
Reactions: SCNJ
Seriously. Rutgers fan makes a backhanded comment about the undisputed best team in the country a PSU fan can’t help but get offended.

Pish is a good poster but you can tell 125 is a sore spot

Reactions: koleszar
Pish is a good poster but you can tell 125 is a sore spot
No it’s not lol. The goal is to put championship teams together and no one does it better. We would all love to have studs at every weight but injuries/transfers/guys don’t work out, etc. almost impossible.

I was browsing through this thread watching the back and forth and saw that comment and it just stuck me as odd..that’s all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT