ADVERTISEMENT

Noah Fernandes commits

Great to have three players, at three different positions, that can shoot the trey at a good clip. If Paul comes back and gets on the floor with those guys, we’ll have 4 legitimate threats from deep.
Paul from deep? Which Paul?

No offense but I really hate these type questions. If these guys can’t handle some competition (from a 1 year transfer no less) then they don’t belong.

If this program is going to get better we need more talent (particularly at positions of need which this is). If these kids want to WIN and be the BEST they can be they should welcome the talent/competition. If not….later!!!
I'm not referring to competition, I'm referring to how many minutes Simpson will get, and the role he'll play (assuming more of a 2 guard) with Noah on the court.

We absolutely need a true PG on this team, which Noah is.

Paul from deep? Which Paul?
He was starting to come around with that last year but seemed much more hesitant this year for some reason. Could’ve been due to health issues. But with other threats out there now a healthy Paul can definitely knock down some key threes.

I'm not referring to competition, I'm referring to how many minutes Simpson will get, and the role he'll play (assuming more of a 2 guard) with Noah on the court.

We absolutely need a true PG on this team, which Noah is.
Simpson is good but imho he hasn’t shown yet that he can be the main starting PG on an NCAA team. At this point he has shown that he can be explosive/ score in spurts (which is good since he was basically the only RU player that could create his own shot last year). But he was very inconsistent. And again imho he showed that he could slash and score but did he really show a lot of true PG skills? maybe at times but not consistently by any stretch

so If Rutgers going to bring in more talent then Simpson is going to elevate his game to keep the minutes. Just the way it is.

Reactions: RUPete
Simpson is good but imho he hasn’t shown yet that he can be the main starting PG on an NCAA team. At this point he has shown that he can be explosive/ score in spurts (which is good since he was basically the only RU player that could create his own shot last year). But he was very inconsistent. And again imho he showed that he could slash and score but did he really show a lot of true PG skills? maybe at times but not consistently by any stretch

so If Rutgers going to bring in more talent then Simpson is going to elevate his game to keep the minutes. Just the way it is.
Nothing wrong with that and he probably already knows this is a big offseason for him with big opportunity ahead. He’ll be fine.

Nothing wrong with that and he probably already knows this is a big offseason for him with big opportunity ahead. He’ll be fine.

I’m sure he will be. And from the story they did on him he seems like a confident and competitive kid that embraces challenges (that’s how they portrayed him at least)

My point is that neither fans nor coaches should be worrying about the impact on existing players. If they’re good enough they’ll play, but if they get surpassed…oh well. Just means the programs improving.

And frankly in this day of NIL/ portal it’s basically free agency so if the kid doesn’t get the minutes he wants he is hardly being held captive here (as they arguably were pre-portal).

Reactions: RUPete
I’m sure he will be. And from the story they did on him he seems like a confident and competitive kid that embraces challenges (that’s how they portrayed him at least)

My point is that neither fans nor coaches should be worrying about the impact on existing players. If they’re good enough they’ll play, but if they get surpassed…oh well. Just means the programs improving.

And frankly in this day of NIL/ portal it’s basically free agency so if the kid doesn’t get the minutes he wants he is hardly being held captive here (as they arguably were pre-portal).
Yup, and the bottom line as we realized this year, you can’t have too much talent and depth.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
As many have said to be successful, make the dance and get at least to round of 32, you need to be able to go 8-9 deep without any noticeable loss of effectiveness. That’s been the thing holding us back the last few years. It looks like maybe the 23-24 season is where we can go 8-9 deep and be successful. Looking forward to seeing Cam, Noah and Gavin light it up.

As many have said to be successful, make the dance and get at least to round of 32, you need to be able to go 8-9 deep without any noticeable loss of effectiveness. That’s been the thing holding us back the last few years. It looks like maybe the 23-24 season is where we can go 8-9 deep and be successful. Looking forward to seeing Cam, Noah and Gavin light it up.
In the transfer portal era, on a few teams are very deep. In 2022 in the Tournament, the final four teams were playing about 7 guys.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I don’t mean this as a knock on Simpson, but to me he’s shown similar promise to lower class man Tez. Slasher type player. Simpson is shorter, with a better handle but not necessarily better distribution skills. Similar type of player in my opinion - nobody was penciling Tez in to start 30+ min at the point. Plenty of explosive games from him too by the way…

I don’t mean this as a knock on Simpson, but to me he’s shown similar promise to lower class man Tez. Slasher type player. Simpson is shorter, with a better handle but not necessarily better distribution skills. Similar type of player in my opinion - nobody was penciling Tez in to start 30+ min at the point. Plenty of explosive games from him too by the way…
Simpson had 50 assists this year, with 31 turnovers. Mathis' high water mark was 38 assists as a sophomore, also with 31 turnovers. Simpson has shown better distribution skills as a freshman than Mathis did in any year on the banks.

Yea but it was tweeted first and already public knowledge…

Lol kidding!
No it wasn’t. @ me.

Good to have more shooting. Sone real question marks about the back court defense but this is what we wanted, a little trade off.

If we can add a two way wing I think it’ll go along way.

I think Simpson will be a key and get plenty of play time. Maybe as a super sixth man providing a spark (like Jacob Young)….maybe as a starter.

No it wasn’t. @ me.

Good to have more shooting. Sone real question marks about the back court defense but this is what we wanted, a little trade off.

If we can add a two way wing I think it’ll go along way.

Geo posted OP at 12:22pm and the tweet (public knowledge) was posted at 12:19pm.

Do you struggle with telling time? Maybe that’s why your other post didn’t go over so well.

I didn’t @ you because it was a joke (but an accurate one) and I didn’t want to derail the great thread.

Simpson had 50 assists this year, with 31 turnovers. Mathis' high water mark was 38 assists as a sophomore, also with 31 turnovers. Simpson has shown better distribution skills as a freshman than Mathis did in any year on the banks.
Simpson played PG this year, he better have had more assists than Montez who exclusively played the wing.

His step back is Geo-like. I notice GG will be arriving with a step back as well.
If you look at the game by game stats, Noah didn’t shoot a lot last year. His game high was 12 shots. The previous year he was more of a scorer. He really adds a lot of versatility. He can be a pass first PG or a scoring guard that can shoot deep or take a defender to the rim. Crafty is probably the best way to describe him.

Reactions: Scangg
If you look at the game by game stats, Noah didn’t shoot a lot last year. His game high was 12 shots. The previous year he was more of a scorer. He really adds a lot of versatility. He can be a pass first PG or a scoring guard that can shoot deep or take a defender to the rim. Crafty is probably the best way to describe him.

He’s actually more like Geo than Simpson is. Simpson is explosive with nice length so his upside is tremendous.

Geo posted OP at 12:22pm and the tweet (public knowledge) was posted at 12:19pm.

Do you struggle with telling time? Maybe that’s why your other post didn’t go over so well.

I didn’t @ you because it was a joke (but an accurate one) and I didn’t want to derail the great thread.
This one went over your head. Was giving it back.

This one went over your head. Was giving it back.

Nothing went over my head. You said @me…I got it.

I was referring to your comment about “no it wasn’t” which was you commenting over the time of this OP and a tweet….which you um, are wrong about.

Might want to brush up on how a clock works. I think this is contributing to your poor posts.

So, making some assumptions about who will ultimately be on the roster next year...

1 - Fernandes
1 - Davis
1/2 - Simpson
1/3 - Mulcahy
2/3 - Spencer
2/3 - Griffiths
3/4 - Mag
3/4 - Hyatt
3/4 - Chol
4/5 - NDongo
4/5 - Woolfolk
5 - Omoruyi

Is that roughly accurate? Gives us a lot of overlap between positions and would allow us a lot of flexibility in lineups (and ability to go big or small)

I like a Simpson but not sold on him yet as a PG. IMO, he has a scorer’s mentality, which is good provided you’re not the primary ball handler.

I think NF is exactly what we needed.

So, making some assumptions about who will ultimately be on the roster next year...

1 - Fernandes
1 - Davis
1/2 - Simpson
1/3 - Mulcahy
2/3 - Spencer
2/3 - Griffiths
3/4 - Mag
3/4 - Hyatt
3/4 - Chol
4/5 - NDongo
4/5 - Woolfolk
5 - Omoruyi

Is that roughly accurate? Gives us a lot of overlap between positions and would allow us a lot of flexibility in lineups (and ability to go big or small)
Maybe some slight variation, but roughly right. I can also see Pike grabbing one more guy if say Hyatt/Paul/Cliff happen to leave.

When did Mathis show his promise? Was it when he repeatedly tried to go end to end and drive directly into 2/3 taller defenders to get stuffed? Or when he actually got by someone and missed layups (one being a layup airball)? I think I missed any coronation moments hinting at his potential while he was on the college court.

Fernandes reminds me of two people --

1. A slightly taller version of Myles Mack

2. A righty, slightly shorter version of MD's Jamhir Young

I'm happy with this news and this potential roster. Time to renew now. Not that I wasn't renewing anyway.

When did Mathis show his promise? Was it when he repeatedly tried to go end to end and drive directly into 2/3 taller defenders to get stuffed? Or when he actually got by someone and missed layups (one being a layup airball)? I think I missed any coronation moments hinting at his potential while he was on the college court.

Mathis had some flashes where he had really good games, but it wasn't consistent.

I think Simpson will be a key and get plenty of play time. Maybe as a super sixth man providing a spark (like Jacob Young)….maybe as a starter.

Go back and look at his frosh stats. 6 games scoring 16+ points in one season from a freshman is potential. He played out of control, yes, but at the time you would’ve chalked it up to him being a frosh. The problem was it continued in future years.

Tez would’ve been a big help to last year’s team. We needed transition players. I do agree Derek is a better ball handler, but I still think think they are similar types of players and ultimately Derek will play a slasher role and not be our primary point. Time will tell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT