ADVERTISEMENT

Now, about those preseason predictions ...

BoroKnight

All American
Mar 13, 2010
Remember? All the bitching and moaning in November? I sure do.

Men picked to finish dead last. Lots of complaints, "we'll show them," we won't be THAT bad ... and they not only finish last, but actually look worse than that. (To be fair, a few people did think it was valid.)

Women picked to finish fifth. Lots of complaints, "we'll show them," we aren't getting any respect ... and they get the fifth seed in the conference tournament and lose in the 4/5 game (which matters, as technically we tied for fourth) and thus are firmly fifth. (To be honest, I don't remember anyone but me thinking the pick was valid.)

To read these two boards in November, you would have thought we were being intentionally humiliated and picked too low for spite or something. And yet, here we are, the men easily the dregs of the conference and the women only fairly sure of an NCAA bid.

I love to bash preseason predictions, but damn they were exactly right about Rutgers.

And don't you think that it's somewhat ironic that, in your only contributions on this board this week, all you're doing is bitching and moaning about your fellow fans?

Perhaps some of the preseason predictions were somewhat accurate but if you look at the preseason all conference players choices, there seemed to have been limited or no recognition of the quality players that RU has. But at the end of the regular season RU had Laney, Davis, Copper and Scaife all recognized. So, the RU players have demonstrated to be quality members in the conference.
Admittedly injuries such as to Banham (who was preseason player of year) affected the final list, but I think RU players would still have been recognized at season's end.

Let them all get healthy and GO RU!

Maybe the good feelings from the just concluded football season carried over into BB. Yes, one would expect the women's program to be competitive, but we all know the men's program is a train wreck. Remember, the FB team was picked by many to finish last too. It certainly appears that they got the basketball picks correct.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT