ADVERTISEMENT

Official RAC Parking Issues Thread

I do that as often as I can
Could not do it last night and thus was part of the horror show
Just wondering, were you ever honored as a long time basketball season ticket holder?
Last night they honored someone who had season tickets for 31 years.
I'm pretty sure you had them since the first game in 77.

You're NARF unless you arrive 90 minutes before game time. :Wink:

So what am I if I get there about an hour before the game? If it was 90 min I would have been standing outside in the light rain b/c evidently they did not open the doors til 6pm & when they did it was one door to boot. Typical Rutgers.

BTW yes can see how much of a cluster this will be when its raining or cold which most of the season will be b/c they will struggle to work, scan or be in pockets. Something so simple with the way they handled it before is looking to be genius compared to this.

Just wondering, were you ever honored as a long time basketball season ticket holder?

I have had season tickets since the first year of the RAC, and no they have not honored me

Same for football, 1975 I believe

Last year a basketball rep came up to my seat and gave a small gift bag of stuff with a note thanking me, but that is it

I get the feeling that they lost track of how long some fans have had seats,

I was thinking of mentioning it, just as a matter of principle

edit: rep called me back, said I should then park in the yellow lot, which I complained about.....

they only have me down for 35, 36 years for bb and football....this is what I figured, they lost track somewhere..... I had season fb since 75 and bb, 78 (or opening of the RAC)

Last edited:
I called the office and asked what was I supposed to do if there was no spots in the green lot when I get there. Did not get an answer they will get back to me

Sometimes student still have their car in the lot from the daytime classes

I called the office and asked what was I supposed to do if there was no spots in the green lot when I get there. Did not get an answer they will get back to me

Sometimes student still have their car in the lot from the daytime classes
The lot was probably 25% full when I got there at 4:45pm. It's always been that way for the last few years.

So what am I if I get there about an hour before the game? If it was 90 min I would have been standing outside in the light rain b/c evidently they did not open the doors til 6pm & when they did it was one door to boot. Typical Rutgers.

BTW yes can see how much of a cluster this will be when its raining or cold which most of the season will be b/c they will struggle to work, scan or be in pockets. Something so simple with the way they handled it before is looking to be genius compared to this.
Good Lord. They don't open the doors 90 minutes before game time?

One door?

Closing a lane of traffic post game?

Damn, that's some MEAC/SWAC/A-Sun amateur hour hot mess going on in NJ.

I got to the Livingston Campus at 6:45, and took Avenue E to Hospital Road, parked in the Green Lot and was in my seat before tip off. So I am not sure what happened to some people.

That said....there are only two lots now. So on the way in, I cannot understand why they do not make Hospital road the entrance for Green Lot Only (regardless of whether you come from Avenue E or Sutton). And then make Rockafeller Road for Yellow Lot Only. Then have two entrances to each lot, so everyone coming down Hospital from Avenue E would use the first entrance to the Green Lot and then everyone coming from Sutton down Hospital would use the further entrance to the Green lot. Same for Yellow. It would simplify so much, and be so simple to implement.

They already do this for football (Hoes Lane for Blue and Yellow, Sutphen for Green and Red).

I have had season tickets since the first year of the RAC, and no they have not honored me

Same for football, 1975 I believe

Last year a basketball rep came up to my seat and gave a small gift bag of stuff with a note thanking me, but that is it

I get the feeling that they lost track of how long some fans have had seats,

I was thinking of mentioning it, just as a matter of principle
Funny, last year the person sitting next to me got a gift bag and I know he didn't have season tickets since 1977.
I assume your Athletic Dept account number is in the 500-700 range like mine.

I got to the Livingston Campus at 6:45, and took Avenue E to Hospital Road, parked in the Green Lot and was in my seat before tip off. So I am not sure what happened to some people.

That said....there are only two lots now. So on the way in, I cannot understand why they do not make Hospital road the entrance for Green Lot Only (regardless of whether you come from Avenue E or Sutton). And then make Rockafeller Road for Yellow Lot Only. Then have two entrances to each lot, so everyone coming down Hospital from Avenue E would use the first entrance to the Green Lot and then everyone coming from Sutton down Hospital would use the further entrance to the Green lot. Same for Yellow. It would simplify so much, and be so simple to implement.

They already do this for football (Hoes Lane for Blue and Yellow, Sutphen for Green and Red).
I've said before that Green should enter from Ave E & Hospital Rd and Yellow should enter from Sutton Lane and Hospital Rd with barrier across Hospital Rd separating Green and Yellow. Exiting after the game would go in the reverse direction.
That way both lanes can be used to each of the lots. You could also have a separate Yellow lot entrance on Rockefeller Rd. That way you have no crisscrossing of people entering and leaving a game.

Reactions: wheezer

Too logical, lol. And this sounds like a case where technology is not helping at all either. I'd far rather park a few hundred yards further away with zero wait time getting in and out and for free. Got there at 6:40 pm, was at will call by 6:47 pm, took 10 minutes for that mess (I don't use a smart phone, so had to have my ticket kept at will call and they scrambled to verify that I was on my friend's ticket plan) and was in my seat by 7 pm - if I could still print my ticket at home, I could have avoided that 10 minutes.

I got there early, so I did not run into any issues, but since it took the guy over a minute to scan my parking pass, I could tell that it would be a clus***f*** as it got crowded. They need to be able to scan 40 - 100 cars per minute to avoid parking backups.

So there are a couple of things they need to do:
  • More Scanners. When I arrived, there was just one person scanning parking passes at the green lot entrance I was at. Since it took a while to scan my parking pass, there was already a line behind me. They need at least 4 people scanning at each gate.
  • Better traffic patterns. As indicated by others in this thread, they need to fix traffic patterns so traffic doesn't get backed up.
  • Eliminate student parking in Green and Yellow lots on game day. Since Athletics doesn't use the parking deck, all student parking on game days should be at the deck. All student parking in the athletic lots should be banned after 2 pm. At 4 pm they should ticket cars still in the lots.
  • Open the doors to the RAC 30 minutes earlier. If you spread out arrivals to 90 minutes, rather than 60 minutes, it will be easier to manage some of the crunch. Although you'll still have most people showing up close to game time, if you can eliminate some of the earlier backups, it makes it easier to manage the crunch.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I got there early, so I did not run into any issues, but since it took the guy over a minute to scan my parking pass, I could tell that it would be a clus***f*** as it got crowded. They need to be able to scan 40 - 100 cars per minute to avoid parking backups.

So there are a couple of things they need to do:
  • More Scanners. When I arrived, there was just one person scanning parking passes at the green lot entrance I was at. Since it took a while to scan my parking pass, there was already a line behind me. They need at least 4 people scanning at each gate.
  • Better traffic patterns. As indicated by others in this thread, they need to fix traffic patterns so traffic doesn't get backed up.
  • Eliminate student parking in Green and Yellow lots on game day. Since Athletics doesn't use the parking deck, all student parking on game days should be at the deck. All student parking in the athletic lots should be banned after 2 pm. At 4 pm they should ticket cars still in the lots.
  • Open the doors to the RAC 30 minutes earlier. If you spread out arrivals to 90 minutes, rather than 60 minutes, it will be easier to manage some of the crunch. Although you'll still have most people showing up close to game time, if you can eliminate some of the earlier backups, it makes it easier to manage the crunch.

Do away with parking pass transfers and thus no need to scan passes and people can just drive in like they used to

Reactions: ColonelRutgers
Do away with parking pass transfers and thus no need to scan passes and people can just drive in like they used to
like they used to wasn't so good either. And there is a real benefit to being able to transfer the parking pass when you transfer tickets. If I can't make it to a game and transfer my tickets to a friend, previously we had to find a way to meet up so I could give him the parking pass.

Good Lord. They don't open the doors 90 minutes before game time?

One door?

Closing a lane of traffic post game?

Damn, that's some MEAC/SWAC/A-Sun amateur hour hot mess going on in NJ.

Yes apparently 60 minutes is what they do. 90 minutes will do no harm & not make people wait in the cold. Yes sadly one door I almost had to do a double take, maybe a few minutes later the rest did but thats how it was. All I can hope is that it was game 1 & they have some new people & have to work out the cluster of the situation. I have a feeling they wont.

The lot was probably 25% full when I got there at 4:45pm. It's always been that way for the last few years.
---
and I would guess that most of those cars were for students at class, etc, not for the game...or they went to the game after class and just left the car there, taking up spaces sold.

I have been going to games at the RAC since it opened in 1977. It is now several years that whenever I arrive the Yellow lot is almost completely full by students parking there. This never use to happen. I think they need to make new parking lots on the other side of Rockafeller Rd. across from the Yellow lot for the students parking. The Yellow lot should only be for parking for events at the Athletic Center. We should not have to look for a parking spot an hour before the game. Getting scanned in was a complete joke as well. It took quite a while for the scanner to take my parking permit scan. It is a complete farce.

Reactions: Local Shill
like they used to wasn't so good either. And there is a real benefit to being able to transfer the parking pass when you transfer tickets. If I can't make it to a game and transfer my tickets to a friend, previously we had to find a way to meet up so I could give him the parking pass.
Season Tickets cost like $1000 per ticket so if you buy 2 you're already shelling out about $2000 and parking is $10 a game. If you're giving away or selling your tickets the recipient should be able to handle the $10 for parking for the common good. If I were to sell my tix (which I don't), I'd take the $10 hit on selling my pass if it meant not being stuck in traffic and missing the beginning of games. It's not like there's a real difference between parking lots at the RAC compared to football where it matters. Hell, I paid $13 for a cheesesteak at the concessions yesterday. I can eat the $10.

Season Tickets cost like $1000 per ticket so if you buy 2 you're already shelling out about $2000 and parking is $10 a game. If you're giving away or selling your tickets the recipient should be able to handle the $10 for parking for the common good. If I were to sell my tix (which I don't), I'd take the $10 hit on selling my pass if it meant not being stuck in traffic and missing the beginning of games. It's not like there's a real difference between parking lots at the RAC compared to football where it matters. Hell, I paid $13 for a cheesesteak at the concessions yesterday. I can eat the $10.

It's not a huge deal. But it is convenient to be able to transfer parking passes. Every other venue manages to do it. Most have been doing it for years. It can't be that hard.

It's not a huge deal. But it is convenient to be able to transfer parking passes. Every other venue manages to do it. Most have been doing it for years. It can't be that hard.
In this case, it's not doable and it is that hard. The RAC is not "every other venue". It's a university parking lot that has limited entry / exit points that is shared with students for general campus parking. And the timing of games (7:00 weeknights) creates major issues with people trying to get into the arena on time under the best of circumstances. It's just a terrible fan experience. It's a "net negative".

In this case, it's not doable and it is that hard. The RAC is not "every other venue". It's a university parking lot that has limited entry / exit points that is shared with students for general campus parking. And the timing of games (7:00 weeknights) creates major issues with people trying to get into the arena on time under the best of circumstances.
And that is unlike Maryland in what way (other than Maryland drawing much bigger crowds)?

They are going to need covered entrances to parking..
600-magickingdom-entrance.jpg

I don’t understand the meaning of them needing to scan the parking pass, all that does is slow up the process and piss people off

Season Parking for basketball has always been a mess.....why have preferred parking if you need to wait in the same line with game day parking....I guess Rutgers Athletics hasn't figured out having a large sign "Green Parking Pass Only" turn! And turn here for Game Day Parking.

Maybe a Rutgers Professor from the Business School can enlighten the Athletic Department about "Queing Theory"!

Game 2 - Weekend Game Parking Edition

Pulled in 1 hour before tipoff. Handed my pass to attendant. No issues with scanner. Literally half of green lot is cordoned off for VIP today which will make my exit that much more complicated because my route home is to exit on the side where the VIP spots are.

Game 2 - Weekend Game Parking Edition

Pulled in 1 hour before tipoff. Handed my pass to attendant. No issues with scanner. Literally half of green lot is cordoned off for VIP today which will make my exit that much more complicated because my route home is to exit on the side where the VIP spots are.

12pm entry and no lines

REALLY? My dad (and others) has had them since the day THE RAC opened and has never been “honored” lol

REALLY? My dad (and others) has had them since the day THE RAC opened and has never been “honored” lol
Join the crowd. (small one at that) At today's game I'm pretty sure they 'honored' someone with 7 years as a season ticket holder.
On Nov 30th it will be our 42nd year.

Sounds like they should bump the price of tickets and make parking free. First come, first served. No scanning or making cash change or taking credit cards. Just folks to direct traffic, with no other function but direct traffic and minimize road rage incidents.

Today was a breeze getting in and out. I think it took no more than 5 minutes from getting into my car to turning onto Sutton Rd.

One side note, the attendants were forcing cars to turn right out of the yellow lot towards Sutton, rather than up to Avenue E. One driver of a white sedan decided to try and turn left and nearly ran over the blonde attendant three times... she stood her ground and finally forced them to turn around (I thought she was going to get hit).

Edit: Meant to write Sutton Rd.

Last edited:
It was fine today but could somebody find out whats the story is with the double secret probation Green VIP parking or people are going to start moving ridiculous coned off sections.

Reactions: ColonelRutgers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT