ADVERTISEMENT

One ranking has us #101/353

Could be right though. Thank you for the feedback

Mullin gets a bad rap on this site (imo). He arguably walked in to a roster worse than Coach Pikiell. I think the best player he inherited may have been Fedrico Mussini. SJU would have been pretty good a season ago if Marcus Lovett did not walk away from the team at the end of the OOC. They were 8-2 having drilled Nebraska and with losses to only ASU and Missouri. They went in to a tail spin after Lovett left, but regrouped about 10 games later and beat both Duke and Villanova. Short handed.

Watch out for SJU this year if Heron gets cleared. Ponds is an AA. Heron was a 5* who averaged 16/5 for Auburn last season. Justin Simon (Zona transfer) and Marvin Clark (Mich St transfer) are nice pieces. They also had a kid transfer in from Quinipiac, and add two 4* and 2 3* kids in this class. They are a borderline Top 25 team with Heron.

Last edited:
Mullin gets a bad rap on this site (imo). He arguably walked in to a roster worse than Coach Pikiell. I think the best player he inherited may have been Fedrico Mussini. SJU would have been pretty good if Marcus Lovett did not walk away from the team at the end of the OOC. And still he beat Duke and Villanova.

Watch out for SJU this year if Heron gets cleared. Ponds is an AA. Heron was a 5* who averaged 16/5 for Auburn last season. Justin Simon are Marvin Clark nice pieces. They also had a kid transfer in from Quinipiac, and add two 4* and 2 3* kids in this class. They are a borderline Top 25 team with Heron.
Didn't SJU win 21 games the season before Mullins first season? What happened? Did a bunch of guys graduate and transfer? Because they fell back to eight wins in his first season.

Didn't SJU win 21 games the season before Mullins first season? What happened? Did a bunch of guys graduate and transfer? Because they fell back to eight wins in his first season.

Steve Lavin's charm had worn off and anyone who followed SJU knew the roster was about to be decimated.

Lavin recruited well when he first got there (Mo Harkless, Jakarr Sampson, D'Angelo Harrison, Chris Obepka, Sir Dominick Pointer, Rysheed Jordan, etc.). But the kids were knuckleheads (Rysheed being the biggest knucklehead) and then he stopped getting kids. He actually was poised to have a big 2nd year at SJU and Harkless unexpectedly declared for the NBA draft after his frosh year. And Mo was one of the few non-knuckleheads on that team. He wound up only going to the NCAA his first year. He was done and left Mullin with nothing.

I've linked Mullin's first roster below. You'll see why Lavin was fired when you look in horror at that.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/st-johns-ny/2016.html

Last edited:
Steve Lavin's charm had worn off and anyone who followed SJU knew the roster was about to be decimated.

Lavin recruited well when he first got there (Mo Harkless, Jakarr Sampson, D'Angelo Harrison, Chris Obepka, Sir Dominick Pointer, Rysheed Jordan, etc.). But the kids were knuckleheads (Rysheed being the biggest knucklehead) and then he stopped getting kids. He actually was poised to have a big 2nd year at SJU and Harkless unexpectedly declared for the NBA draft after his frosh year. And Mo was one of the few non-knuckleheads on that team. He wound up only going to the NCAA his first year. He was done and left Mullin with nothing.

I've linked Mullin's first roster below. You'll see why Lavin was fired when you look in horror at that.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/st-johns-ny/2016.html
I remember Rysheed Jordan's recruitment. IIRC it was pretty normal for a while and then I want to say someone close to him died and that kid just was not the same after that.

Yankuba Sima was a prospect I really liked when he was in high school. He was long, athletic, had good height and seems to have the right commitment to improving his skills. However, I always felt that picking the right program was important for him. He needed a program with a proven big man coach. I believe he really wanted to go to Maryland but they got a commitment from Diamond Stone.

I really appreciate this info. Like I said I really don't follow sju or the Big East so this was educational for me.

Mullin gets a bad rap on this site (imo). He arguably walked in to a roster worse than Coach Pikiell. I think the best player he inherited may have been Fedrico Mussini. SJU would have been pretty good a season ago if Marcus Lovett did not walk away from the team at the end of the OOC. They were 8-2 having drilled Nebraska and with losses to only ASU and Missouri. They went in to a tail spin after Lovett left, but regrouped about 10 games later and beat both Duke and Villanova. Short handed.

Watch out for SJU this year if Heron gets cleared. Ponds is an AA. Heron was a 5* who averaged 16/5 for Auburn last season. Justin Simon (Zona transfer) and Marvin Clark (Mich St transfer) are nice pieces. They also had a kid transfer in from Quinipiac, and add two 4* and 2 3* kids in this class. They are a borderline Top 25 team with Heron.

Mullin might end up being a Hall of Fame coach, for all I know. And maybe he has learned a lot on the job. But, I will never forget when he was miked up for his first game against Eddie Jordan's RU team a couple of years ago, he sounded like a complete moron during the time outs. Instead of calling plays, etc., he was only a cheerleader with lines like "we've got to play harder. . . . "

Last edited:
It's confirmed that Auburn transfer and star guard Mustafa Heron is immediately eligible for St Johns....official announcement is Tuesday but will make the November 16th home game a definite date with a likely Top 25-35 program on the resume.

It's confirmed that Auburn transfer and star guard Mustafa Heron is immediately eligible for St Johns....official announcement is Tuesday but will make the November 16th home game a definite date with a likely Top 25-35 program on the resume.
They have a JuCo transfer named L.J. Figueroa from Odessa College that has a chance to be a really good wing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT