ADVERTISEMENT

OT: “Avoiding a traffic signal” ticket

I have close to a half dozen friends who are cops. And to a man they will state they are too busy actually protecting and serving to issue such a bullshit ticket. But maybe they are not expert enough for you?
It all depends on the department they work for. You can’t base it on what your friends say. Maybe ones a sheriffs officer and doesn’t do traffic? Ask NYPD about having to write tickets, you’ll get a diff story.

Turnpike, m'man. Turnpike. Drove out to Wayne, PA this morning and in 80 miles of interstate highway didn't see a single cop. 100+ in most places.

The roads are fine places to be in this day and age. The cars have never been better and the enforcement has never been more lenient.

I moved from Old Bridge to Montgomery late last year and now my commute is all back roads through Montgomery and Hopewell and they love to pull people over!

I moved from Old Bridge to Montgomery late last year and now my commute is all back roads through Montgomery and Hopewell and they love to pull people over!

@T2Kplus10 can help you with this. I'm sure there's some special dispensation that can be provided for a fellow Scarlet Knight.

Reactions: TreyA and Zak57
@T2Kplus10 can help you with this. I'm sure there's some special dispensation that can be provided for a fellow Scarlet Knight.
People are pulled over to educate, not ticket. Only 25-30% of local traffic stops generate an enforcement action (i.e., ticket).
:)

Reactions: Zak57
The Waze app also helps..."POLICE REPORTED AHEAD!"

People are pulled over to educate, not ticket. Only 25-30% of local traffic stops generate an enforcement action (i.e., ticket).
:)

So does that mean the answer is no, there is no special dispensation for fellow Scarlet Knight fans. Would it help if I say I'm internet friends with Mayor Whacko?

I guess it's a good thing I have a PBA gold card!

I have one as well. Although I couldn’t find it when he asked for my license, reg, ins...

It was in back of my glove compartment. I showed him after he write ticket but said there’s nothing he could do once ticket was written.

Needless to say it’s in my wallet now at all times.

Reactions: Zak57
Turnpike, m'man. Turnpike. Drove out to Wayne, PA this morning and in 80 miles of interstate highway didn't see a single cop. 100+ in most places..

While its probably not a big deal to have said this.. didn't this board have a guy who started a business to defraud the DOD and he bragged about it here and soon after ended up in prison?

Not saying someone here brought it to the fed's attention.. but its possible.

It all depends on the department they work for. You can’t base it on what your friends say. Maybe ones a sheriffs officer and doesn’t do traffic? Ask NYPD about having to write tickets, you’ll get a diff story.
I get where you are going but put it this way; each of my buddies from Holmdel, Keansburg, Jersey City to state trooper will say that the only way they write that ticket is if:
1. The driver was an asshole
2. They did the driver a favor by giving him the lesser ticket.
Face it, Its a bullshit summons and as others in this thread have pointed out it is simply for the municipality to make money.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUsSKii
While its probably not a big deal to have said this.. didn't this board have a guy who started a business to defraud the DOD and he bragged about it here and soon after ended up in prison?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

But the reality, particularly re: the NJTP, is that speed enforcement is the lowest priority. Enforcing speed limits does NOT enhance thorofare safety. This is proven fact.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

But the reality, particularly re: the NJTP, is that speed enforcement is the lowest priority. Enforcing speed limits does NOT enhance thorofare safety. This is proven fact.
This could easily be misinterpreted. The way that police enforce speed limits hasn't really changed speeding behaviors - that is true. But there's no question if the average speed dropped from 85 to 65 mph with the same traffic density, safety would be improved. Simple math and physics - corrective/evasive actions are not as effective at higher speeds, leading to more accidents and accidents at higher speeds cause more damage. Doesn't stop me from going quite fast when traffic allows it.

This could easily be misinterpreted. The way that police enforce speed limits hasn't really changed speeding behaviors - that is true. But there's no question if the average speed dropped from 85 to 65 mph with the same traffic density, safety would be improved. Simple math and physics - corrective/evasive actions are not as effective at higher speeds, leading to more accidents and accidents at higher speeds cause more damage. Doesn't stop me from going quite fast when traffic allows it.

I track every single major MVA on the turnpike. The head of the roadway's TMO is a friend of mine and used to work for me. Anecdotally, there hasn't been a single major incident on the road, this year, that was exacerbated by rate of travel of the vehicles involved.

Traffic engineers have know for decades that posted speed limits have little to do with actual speed traveled. Driver speeds will cluster around a point that represents an overall comfort level with volume and conditions. There is a LOT of work on the subject.

I admittedly stopped after the second or third paragraph. Does it in any way give you pause that your entire premise is based on him perjuring himself? So the "judicial system is a scam" and "people are innocent until proven guilty" but the solution is for the person in question, who is admits he is guilty, to go court and lie about what happened to get out of it?

And you see no hypocrisy there? Seems to me like the scam is being guilty, and then lying under oath.... basically calling the State's bluff that they won't go looking for witnesses or surveillance footage.
As someone who has been through municipal court and NJ's Superior Court systems. They have evolved into another way for the state to tax you, nothing more, nothing less. Courts really are not interested in justice anymore, the entire system is set up to extract as much revenue from people as quickly and efficiently as possible. This theft has only increased as NJ's fiscal situation gets worse. Policing has evolved from looking prosecuting "serious" crimes (Felonies) to prosecuting minor infractions (misdemeanors) and traffic stops. The reason for this is simple, money! As others have observed the system is setup to make fighting ANY minor infraction as time consumming as possible. They want you to go into it with the attitude that fighting it is a waste of time and the statistics prove that something like 99% of people just pay the fine. As several people have observed that is why they are going to "give you a deal" to plea down the charges. It is simple marketing. Because you got the "deal" you will plead guilty and feel good about it. Of course 99% of your fellow citizens are taking the same deal. I have fought tickets and won but most of the time I just pay the fine and move on. The court has all the advantage of eating up as much of your precious time as possible they can delay and cause you to take off work to the point you will gladly pay the fine even if you are not guilty.

Policing has evolved from looking prosecuting "serious" crimes (Felonies) to prosecuting minor infractions (misdemeanors) and traffic stops.

The police don't "prosecute". Thanks for playing.

Investigations into major crimes are not, for the most part, even led by local police departments. They're led by the county prosecutor's office, using the PO's investigative officers.

partially you're correct...but as someone who works for the county and sees these old retired cops working as investigators, you might change your mind if you saw it (double dipping too). usually the police initiate a case, file with the PO. The police detectives then work with the PO to continue on the case. And point to be made, the government makes no money on the felony cases because the defendants have no money. The "street" cops bring in the money with these traffic tickets, they are stopping the people on the way to or from work. They may make an arrest but the detectives are the ones doing the big lifting on felony cases.

Investigations into major crimes are not, for the most part, even led by local police departments. They're led by the county prosecutor's office, using the PO's investigative officers.

Were you born a jackass or did you just learn how to be one? My use of the term "prosecution" in regards to the police was to encapsulate the entire process of the Judicial process in one sentence versus explaining each step of it individually. I am sure most people could deduce what I was getting at. Thanks for playing!

Were you born a jackass or did you just learn how to be one? My use of the term "prosecution" in regards to the police was to encapsulate the entire process of the Judicial process in one sentence versus explaining each step of it individually. I am sure most people could deduce what I was getting at. Thanks for playing!

So you intentionally misused the word.

We're not impressed.

Traffic engineers have know for decades that posted speed limits have little to do with actual speed traveled. Driver speeds will cluster around a point that represents an overall comfort level with volume and conditions. There is a LOT of work on the subject.

This.

Posted speed limits along roadways are set below the design speed utilized in engineering various sections of roadway (which, just like any other design, includes a factor of safety as well).

Posting artificially low speed limit signs is practically criminal on the part of municipalities. While not universally popular, situation-based traffic calming measures can be better implemented to moderate speed conditions.

So I recently got pulled over and ticketed for “avoiding a traffic signal”

I was on highway stuck at red light in my way to shopping center. Traffic fairly heavy at light and beyond light. Main shopping center entrance was to turn right at light. Also two entrances beyond the light and an entrance before the light thru a restaurant lot that leads to main shopping center lot. So me, being the impatient person I am, cut thru the restaurant (I assumed it was part of the shopping center to which I was heading towards, anyway), and as I left the restaurant lot to road connecting to main lot, cop pulls me over.

I was honest, said I was trying to avoid the traffic so figured I’d take shortcut in. He tells me it’s against law to do and issues me a ticket. I said I had no idea it was illegal and wouldn’t have done it had I known. Says it will be a fine and points..but ticket said no court appearance is required.

So figured I’d just pay fine, take points and learn my lesson. But turns out I can’t pay and must go to court. A judge will determine my fine and points. Any advice on getting minimal penalty? Will be my first court appearance, my first traffic violation in 15 years of driving..I’m sure that will help, but don’t know what to expect. I also have a pba card..will that do anything in court?

Thanks in advance!

http://www.userichnjlaw.com/driving...avoid-a-traffic-sign-or-signal-njsa-394-66-2/

Is that what happened to old WhatsHisName?

Is that what happened to old WhatsHisName?
You mean hewhoshallnotbenamed? I think so.. I have no inside knowledge.. but if you remember that "fan-".. I understand he spent some time in the big house over that. Have no idea if someone here ratted him out... but I wouldn't be surprised... he was.. er.. challenging.

Reactions: rurichdog
Since you made a careless mistake in your post (your for you're).. I think you've been lucky and you have now jinxed yourself. Good luck in court.
lucky for me that i don't speed, i use my turn signals to change lanes, keep appropriate distance from the car in front of me... etc etc... so kiss my keester! oh... and i don't break any traffic laws!!!!!!!!![smoke][smoke][smoke][smoke]

lucky for me that i don't speed, i use my turn signals to change lanes, keep appropriate distance from the car in front of me... etc etc... so kiss my keester! oh... and i don't break any traffic laws!!!!!!!!![smoke][smoke][smoke][smoke]
Are you sure you’re from NJ

you've never gone above the speed limit? there are many situations where driving the speed limit or below is causing MORE of a danger.

Reactions: Block R
You mean hewhoshallnotbenamed? I think so.. I have no inside knowledge.. but if you remember that "fan-".. I understand he spent some time in the big house over that. Have no idea if someone here ratted him out... but I wouldn't be surprised... he was.. er.. challenging.

The details of your story are completely inaccurate.

you've never gone above the speed limit? there are many situations where driving the speed limit or below is causing MORE of a danger.
don't speed in the first place... damn criminal! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

EDIT: i don't go below or above... btw

Find something similiar that doesnt have points. Meet the judge tell him you were truely unaware, and see if he will reduce the offense. When at RU, i was with someone who threw Something out the window...in plain sight of cruiser. He issued a ticket for throwing objects from a moving vehicle...with points. Went to court had it reduced to air pollution, no points smaller fine.

So you were the guy I was cursing at in front of me doing 55 while the flow of traffic was 70+. Probably best for everyone you relocated south.
maybe i was, maybe i wasn't.. nevertheless, ur a criminal going over in the first place.. you should be in jail with all the others.. oh wait, you ARE.. you still live in jersey

some advice buddy, going 15 over is only gonna save you about 5-7 mins per HOUR LENGTH drive and increase the risk of accidents by like 35%.. go look it up yourself chief...

Passing on the right on a two lane road when the car in front of you is turning left is another potential problem that few drivers think about. We learned a costly lesson in North Carolina. $$$$

maybe i was, maybe i wasn't.. nevertheless, ur a criminal going over in the first place.. you should be in jail with all the others.. oh wait, you ARE.. you still live in jersey

some advice buddy, going 15 over is only gonna save you about 5-7 mins per HOUR LENGTH drive and increase the risk of accidents by like 35%.. go look it up yourself chief...

Yeah... Going 75 vs. 60 saves you 12 minutes on a 60 mile drive. Your math sucks.

Also, your "35%" risk assertion is bullshit as well.

The NJSP now write more tickets on the Turnpike for impeding the flow of traffic (aka "left lane asshole") than for speeding. It's one of the safest roads in the country with a left lane off-peak flow rate in excess of 90 mph.

It seems like every time you open your mouth you challenge this board's already stellar record for Wrongness.

Reactions: RUinOhio
Passing on the right on a two lane road when the car in front of you is turning left is another potential problem that few drivers think about. We learned a costly lesson in North Carolina. $$$$
Cops used to sit in the parking lot of a shuttered motel on Route 1 every morning during rush hour. The parking lot was located right on a jug handle. Traffic would always back up and folks wanting to take the jug handle would get impatient and drive on the shoulder to get to the jug handle. Cops would hand out tickets as fast as they could write them.

FWIW, my father told me about the "avoiding a traffic signal" law years before I could drive, even. There's nothing new about it. I have used the procedure suggested by RU4Real, and it worked. It's kind of blackmail: "pay us enough money and we won't tell on you", but it sure raises a lot of money for the state and counties.The prosecutor thought it was quite funny that a law professor was using the procedure, but I still think it was money well-spent.

Yeah... Going 75 vs. 60 saves you 12 minutes on a 60 mile drive. Your math sucks.

Also, your "35%" risk assertion is bullshit as well.

The NJSP now write more tickets on the Turnpike for impeding the flow of traffic (aka "left lane asshole") than for speeding. It's one of the safest roads in the country with a left lane off-peak flow rate in excess of 90 mph.

It seems like every time you open your mouth you challenge this board's already stellar record for Wrongness.
1. only if you're driving with no traffic at all
2. 35% is pretty spot on
3. lot's of criminals like you should be thankful i never went into the academy... i'd be issuing speeding tickets left and right, along with reckless driving, failure to use a turn signal, etc

driving is privy, not a right big man... drive the way you do down here and you might end up in the klink... please stay in jersey, the south doesn't want ego-centric asshats that like to break the law

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT