ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018-19 NY Mets Offseason "Hot Stove" Thread

LOL at Andy Martino "Would Mets offer Rosario" for Realmuto? Sure they can, and the Marlins will respond, "OK, that's a start". I'm not sure they'd even accept Syndergaard straight up. Also FWIW I've read that they'd prefer not to trade Realmuto within the division.

Desperately need a catcher - just not many great options out there. Want nothing to do with Grandal, etc.

Love Nimmo (prefer Rosario gone if had to part with one of them).

Sadly, OF hole easier to plug than SS. Oy. Is Gimenez ready??

Not sure how reliable but read a report the Marlins asked for Conforto, Rosario + for Realmuto. The Mets offered Nimmo+.

Again not sure how reliable the report is.

Not sure how reliable but read a report the Marlins asked for Conforto, Rosario + for Realmuto. The Mets offered Nimmo+.

I find the report of the Marlins ask to be very credible. Catcher is a premium position. There are few really good ones. If you want the best, and are competing with other teams for him, you will have to overpay.

I can see the Marlins demanding this. Realmuto is probably the best catcher available in years and it is within the division. Might as well ask for the moon.

I am not giving away Nimmo, Conforto, or Rosario for Realmuto. He's good but he's not as great as everyone thinks and scouts question his defense anyways. Also why fill one hole but possibly create a new one or two? Also again he's a FA in two years are we going to extend him? We still have deGrom, Noah, and Wheeler to possibly extend where is all this money coming from unless BVW has got the Wilpons to up the budget 10x more than now.

I am not giving away Nimmo, Conforto, or Rosario for Realmuto. He's good but he's not as great as everyone thinks and scouts question his defense anyways. Also why fill one hole but possibly create a new one or two? Also again he's a FA in two years are we going to extend him? We still have deGrom, Noah, and Wheeler to possibly extend where is all this money coming from unless BVW has got the Wilpons to up the budget 10x more than now.

I think I'm seeing the potential plan and it would involve extending virtually none of them. Hear me out:

- Rosario goes in a package for Realmuto
- Sign a CF like Pollock
- Grab another bullpen arm
- Fill the SS gap with a big deal to Machado. I know this last piece is completely anti-Wilpons and trust me, I hate them but I could see them on board for this.

You then spend the next couple years going for a title before deGrom hits FA. You're not giving him an extension so the next couple seasons stay lower in salary than they would be if they gave him a new deal. Same for Thor. Your closer is giving huge value from a salary perspective. All of that helps with the affordability of the above and you hope to cash in.

Then you tear it down and rebuild after 2020 because Machado and Cano would be the only ones with big money on the books for 2021 and beyond. DG leaves and Thor and Realmuto get moved for assets as pending FAs. Payroll plummets in that 2021-2023ish window as they rebuild which balances out the budget from the uncharacteristic spending over the prior couple years.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I think I'm seeing the potential plan and it would involve extending virtually none of them. Hear me out:

- Rosario goes in a package for Realmuto
- Sign a CF like Pollock
- Grab another bullpen arm
- Fill the SS gap with a big deal to Machado. I know this last piece is completely anti-Wilpons and trust me, I hate them but I could see them on board for this.

You then spend the next couple years going for a title before deGrom hits FA. You're not giving him an extension so the next couple seasons stay lower in salary than they would be if they gave him a new deal. Same for Thor. Your closer is giving huge value from a salary perspective. All of that helps with the affordability of the above and you hope to cash in.

Then you tear it down and rebuild after 2020 because Machado and Cano would be the only ones with big money on the books for 2021 and beyond. DG leaves and Thor and Realmuto get moved for assets as pending FAs. Payroll plummets in that 2021-2023ish window as they rebuild which balances out the budget from the uncharacteristic spending over the prior couple years.
So is this going to be like the way the Houston Astros rebuilt their organization or the way the Miami Marlins dump players every other year?

So is this going to be like the way the Houston Astros rebuilt their organization or the way the Miami Marlins dump players every other year?
Yes?

The fact is this organization has done a terrible job of taking advantage of the ridiculous performance per dollar they have been getting out of DG/Thor and time is just about up. They should be handling this like you see NFL teams take advantage of strong QBs on rookie contracts: load up the rest of the roster and try and win before you need to pay the QB $25+ million. It's a necessity in a salary cap league and unfortunately the Mets operate like they are in one.

Reactions: rags and redking
Mets fans should be very aware there aren't many good catchers in baseball. Finding a great one is nearly impossible. Now it looks like the Mets have an opportunity to fill a huge hole and some here are balking at it.

Agree on Thor but I think many of you are over rating those other 3. Replacing those players are a lot easier than finding a young All Star catcher.

Not really. Filling one hole and opening another one or two is just moving pieces around for the sake of it. We don't have an unlimited payroll either.

Mets fans should be very aware there aren't many good catchers in baseball. Finding a great one is nearly impossible. Now it looks like the Mets have an opportunity to fill a huge hole and some here are balking at it.
Duly noted. Just saying that the package they sent for Cano/Diaz wouldve gotten Realmuto and a top prospect. Or Maybe the Mets 2 or 3 Top 3 prospects wouldve been enough for Realmuto.

The Marlins are dumb if they really turned down Soroka and Riley from the Braves. I am not sure if anyone beats that combo.

Not really. Filling one hole and opening another one or two is just moving pieces around for the sake of it. We don't have an unlimited payroll either.
Good outfielders are a dime a dozen. Great catchers there is way less than a dozen.

Good outfielders are a dime a dozen. Great catchers there is way less than a dozen.

In a vacuum yes. Considering what else we need on the team and our payroll situation then the offers on the table right now are just not a good fit.

Realmuto is very good but we're not talking Mauer in his prime. Catchers don't play enough games and are too susceptible to injury to vastly overpay even for one of the best at the position. If Rosario and another couple minor pieces isn't enough, move on and focus on a defensive-minded C to at least solidify that part of the position and use the $ savings/resources to upgrade another spot on the field.

Reactions: redking
Per Mike Puma of NY Post, Mets are unwilling to include Conforto in a Realmuto deal. Seems like that could be that.

I'm not trading Conforto, Nimmo, Rosario or Thor for Realmuto. Might consider Nimmo even up, but not crazy about that. Catchers are one foul tip away from being out for the season. Get a great defensive catcher , If all the position players hit the way they should, we should have enough offense with our pitching. I would sign 2 RP pitchers, one being Andrew Miller. Get some strong veteran hitter for the bench, someone who can play the OF.

I would’t give up on Rosario yet but I’d consider dealing him in a Realmuto trade depending on the rest of the players involved.. Conforto and Nimmo would be off limits for Realmuto as far as I’m concerned. They’re better off signing a defensive catcher and try for a big bat. Goldschmidt was there for the taking and I’m not sure why the Mets weren’t interested unless they think Alonso is going to be as good as some people think. They don’t even have a first baseman right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT