ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018-19 NY Mets Offseason "Hot Stove" Thread

Was Smith released or did he leave over lack of OF playing time? I'm not sure his MLB career is over. $$$$
I thought I read he wasn’t released but he left because they had him playing 1B and not the OF

What prompted THAT?
Let me see... Instead of getting a qualified GM who was involved with getting the Tampa Rays organization prepared by getting some great prospects and having the big club competing in the same division with TWO, 100 win organizations EVERY YEAR, they get a GM who (I GUARANTEE THIS REASONING) they think theyll get player discounts in FA. I hope all of those players go to Scott Boras so he can tell the Wilpons to GO F*** THEMSELVES.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Let me see... Instead of getting a qualified GM who was involved with getting the Tampa Rays organization prepared by getting some great prospects and having the big club competing in the same division with TWO, 100 win organizations EVERY YEAR, they get a GM who (I GUARANTEE THIS REASONING) they think theyll get player discounts in FA. I hope all of those players go to Scott Boras so he can tell the Wilpons to GO F*** THEMSELVES.
I share your concerns. On the basis of what little I know, I would have preferred Bloom. Key words are "what little I know". In fact, I don't know anything other than what I've heard and read through the media. I didn't conduct any interviews, obtain any references, do any research. Sometimes ya gotta defer to those who did do those things. Especially since they own the team.

I've already posted at length about the dysfunctionality of this process. In light of that, we Met fans have three choices:
  • Accept it and hope for the best
  • Find a new rooting interest among 28 other teams. (I say 28 because I've eliminated one out of hand. We can agree on that, right?)
  • Come up with two billion dollars and make an offer.
My totally uninformed speculation is that Van Wagenen is the compromise candidate - the one guy whom Fred and Jeff could both agree on. If so, then he's the right guy. Far better than Fred picking somebody and Jeff undercutting him. IMO that's the worst case scenario, and one which we can't rule out.

I see you have speculated as well. Not sure why you call it a guarantee though.

EDIT: One last thought. The fact that somebody is an excellent #2 in an organization doesn't ensure he'll be an excellent #1. Julie Hermann provides evidence of that. For that matter, so does Chris Ash.

So it’s the agent according to reports. Will be announced this week

I hope the new guy is ready to hit the ground running. Free agency began TODAY at 9AM. (It used to be that prospective free agents had to formally declare, but MLB has dispensed with that formality.) There is a five day contact period, and signings can begin on November 3. Hopefully Van Wagenen is making phone calls as we speak!

Well, at least they did something different. Same 'ol Mets would have grabbed Melvin - had him penned in and circled.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
Either this is a bold move to make the Mets competitive again or a stupid ill-considered choice that will mire the Mets in conflict of interest problems with MLB and the Players Union. Based on the Mets ownership's track record, I know which one is more likely.

"WE WILL WIN NOW"

There were a bunch of takeaways from the press conference, but that's the only one that matters. No blow-up, no rebuild, no multiyear plan. Win now. We shall see.

Hopefully Jerry Maguire convinced the Coupons that they need to spend. One would think Fred - with not too many years left - wants to see some more games in October and understands to do this he needs to spend some interest earned on the Ponzi Scheme and/or the interest free loans from MLB.

Reactions: redking
I guess the only reason why this guy was hired because Bloom wasnt going to put up with the Three Stooges.

Okay, I enjoy making fun of the Mets, but this GM hire is like shooting fish in a barrel. It's just not fun.

So as for this news.....no comment.

So much for the Yankees winning multiple Championships in the next 5 years, our new GM just said we will win this year, and every year!!! Lmao,[cheers]:cool2:[laughing]

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Either this is a bold move to make the Mets competitive again or a stupid ill-considered choice that will mire the Mets in conflict of interest problems with MLB and the Players Union. Based on the Mets ownership's track record, I know which one is more likely.

Right now it reeks of stupidity since the TB dude would have been a compelling choice. Wilpons only care about money. The 2015 surge to the World Series was the worst thing that could have happened (unless, of course, they actually won it). It keeps the fans appeased for a while again.

I guess the only reason why this guy was hired because Bloom wasnt going to put up with the Three Stooges.
Pretty much this...Bloom would only come here if he had full control and he saw a ton of changes that needed to be made. Wilpons saw this as a major threat. First, they love being involved too much and second, if Bloom came in and made the Met's a real franchise without interference from the Wilpons, it would be proof of who destroyed this franchise in the first place.
Jerry McGuire on the other hand, has known these idiots for years and it feels as if both sides are still wiping off their chins after their closed door interviews.

I still don't understand how this will work for guys like deGrom and the others he used to represent. Yes, I get it, they are no longer his clients but they are still clients of CAA and obviously this guy is still very close to his buddies there. And let's use deGrom, he and Jacob may have already had talks about how they would use the Met's over this next year to drive the market up on his services. How can that possibly be fair practice?

Reactions: redking
I'm going to give BVW the benefit of the doubt until I feel like he falls into the same Jeff trap all previous GM's have. Let's see what he has up his sleeve this offseason even with de facto Jeff next to him.

I wouldn't think of the 3 of them as idiots -- the Mets create an environment where success is nearly impossible. There should only have been one interim GM instead of a 3 headed monster, as an example.
According to Andy Martino of SNY, the three headed monster may lose two of its heads. He is reporting that both Ricco and Ricciardi may choose to go elsewhere (although reportedly both have been invited back). Only Minaya is considered certain to return.

According to Andy Martino of SNY, the three headed monster may lose two of its heads. He is reporting that both Ricco and Ricciardi may choose to go elsewhere (although reportedly both have been invited back). Only Minaya is considered certain to return.

Can’t fault guys that get passed over that want to leave.

Any other Mets fans thinking/worried BVW will do better at signing free agents than making trades ? My fear is he's going to be shunned by other GM's for awhile because he didn't go through the ranks like they did, and he's from the other side of the tracks so to speak. He'll be looked at as another avenue of potential candidates for teams to look at, if successful, to replace their jobs.

If Calloway doesn't work out this season, and with Sandy gone,does Wally Backman move into the picture as a possible Mets manager?

If Calloway doesn't work out this season, and with Sandy gone,does Wally Backman move into the picture as a possible Mets manager?
That would shock me beyond belief. Backman is 59 years old and is currently managing in the Indy leagues. Before that it was Mexican League. Thirty MLB franchises, and he can't get a job managing a Rookie League team, much less major league. The fact that we are having this conversation is a tribute to his self-promotion ability.

But then, the Wilpons just hired an agent as their GM, so who the hell knows.

That would shock me beyond belief. Backman is 59 years old and is currently managing in the Indy leagues. Before that it was Mexican League. Thirty MLB franchises, and he can't get a job managing a Rookie League team, much less major league. The fact that we are having this conversation is a tribute to his self-promotion ability.

But then, the Wilpons just hired an agent as their GM, so who the hell knows.
It's not a new thing. Golden State Warriors GM is a former agent, and he did an excellent job of collecting talent. Even the Lakers and an MLB team (can't think of the team right now) have former agents as GM.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Backman?? Heck no.

Also no not worried other teams are going to try and hold BVW to the fire more than any other GM we would have hired.

Mets made their first transactions of the Van Wageren era today. They dropped five players from the 40 man roster. No surprises:
  • Rafael Montero, Phillip Evans, and Jamie Callahan were released. They declined minor league assignments and are now free agents.
  • PJ Conlon accepted an outright assignment to Syracuse (Mets new AAA affiliate)
  • Jack Reinheimer was waived and claimed by the Cubs.
I remember that Montero and deGrom came up to the Mets on the same day in early 2014. At the time, Montero was considered the better prospect. Goes to show you never can tell.

The roster now stands at 38 players. They will need to clear out more space for free agents, Rule 5 pickups, rookies requiring protection, etc.

Interestingly, David Wright is still on the roster. I guess he has not yet officially retired. Maybe it's an insurance thing.

Why do people still think Backman is a viable manager option?

He got one offer to be a manager and was fired in 4 days because he hid his background and they didn't really vet him. I don't think he's even gotten an interview in years. He will never be the Mets manager, nor should he be.

Reactions: tico brown
In other Mets news, the team did NOT make qualifying offers (1 year, $17 Mill) to any of their six free agents: Blevins, Jackson, Lobaton, Mesoraco, Ramos, and Reyes. They are all free to go elsewhere.

One prominent observer expressed approval of the decision:
EGfX.gif

get DeGrom extended and sign Bryce Harper. Then this GM might have a shot.
Really need to lock up our starting pitchers if Met's plan is to start winning now. And while we need a big bat in the lineup like Harper, if given a choice, I would much prefer to spend even less money to get Brantley and Grandal. And then get some RP's.

Reactions: tico brown
The organizational shakeup has begun! Pat Roessler OUT as hitting coach, Ricky Bones OUT as bullpen coach. More moves may be forthcoming.

On an unrelated note, Jacob deGrom was named a Cy Young finalist, along with Scherzer and Nola. No surprises there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT