ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2021-22 NHL Regular Season Thread

There is a lot wrong with the Devils. Here are a few of my thoughts.

1) The coaching, the scheme they play does not suit that team at all. Ruff's system is unique and they are the only team playing this scheme. They are not strong enough along the boards which leads to a lot of lost pucks and easy high danger attempt's between the circles. They need a little size on the wing.
2) They are young, they make bad decisions every night when trying to clear the zone. Good coaching will correct this with time. For example, Adam Larson, struggled until Scott Stevens joined the staff. The next year Larson started looking like a top defensive prospect with time spent under Stevens.
3) Goaltending - Awful is being nice, Blackwood has too many gaffs per game, bad angles, and dropping to butterfly too early. The two AHL guys need time but both seem promising. Drafting a high-round goalie now still would not help the team in the next 2 to 4 years as he develops. Need someone in the system now to step up.
4) Severson, needs to be traded. People love him for his offensive ability but his defensive issues are greater than his plus on the offense side. Yes, every defenseman makes mistakes, but Severson's mistakes always lead to great scoring chances and most likely a goal. The 2-1 shorthanded goal against the Leafs is Severson at his best being bad. Not only does he misplay the puck on the point. but back on defense he looks confused on who to take, then moves over late to take away the pass. Only to stop and let leafs player behind him for an easy tap-in for a go-ahead goal.
5) Ty Smith, needs to go to the AHL and gain some confidence back. He constantly gets lost when the puck is in his feet and gets pushed off the puck behind the net and along the boards. He seems to be gripping the stick way too tight and misses easy passes, especially on the power-play point.
6) Pavel Zacha experiment has to end, he needs a fresh start somewhere. I liked him even when he wasn't scoring, now it seems his defense is hurting with his inability to produce offense, heck I would be happy if he would miss way fewer shots and get some on the net.
7) The obvious! they need 2-3 players to step up and show they can score goals. Hughes\Bratt can't be our main hope every night. Less missed shot on the net from the whole team would be a good start.

A ton of other crap can be listed, but long reads suck so I will stop with one last issue(Drafting, we need more mid-round draft picks to become contributors for this team. Oilers are a great example of what happens if you don't draft well after the first round)
4) Go back to the first uniform design AFTER the green as this present one is just not doing it.👎

Reactions: robcac26
There is a lot wrong with the Devils. Here are a few of my thoughts.

1) The coaching, the scheme they play does not suit that team at all. Ruff's system is unique and they are the only team playing this scheme. They are not strong enough along the boards which leads to a lot of lost pucks and easy high danger attempt's between the circles. They need a little size on the wing.
2) They are young, they make bad decisions every night when trying to clear the zone. Good coaching will correct this with time. For example, Adam Larson, struggled until Scott Stevens joined the staff. The next year Larson started looking like a top defensive prospect with time spent under Stevens.
3) Goaltending - Awful is being nice, Blackwood has too many gaffs per game, bad angles, and dropping to butterfly too early. The two AHL guys need time but both seem promising. Drafting a high-round goalie now still would not help the team in the next 2 to 4 years as he develops. Need someone in the system now to step up.
4) Severson, needs to be traded. People love him for his offensive ability but his defensive issues are greater than his plus on the offense side. Yes, every defenseman makes mistakes, but Severson's mistakes always lead to great scoring chances and most likely a goal. The 2-1 shorthanded goal against the Leafs is Severson at his best being bad. Not only does he misplay the puck on the point. but back on defense he looks confused on who to take, then moves over late to take away the pass. Only to stop and let leafs player behind him for an easy tap-in for a go-ahead goal.
5) Ty Smith, needs to go to the AHL and gain some confidence back. He constantly gets lost when the puck is in his feet and gets pushed off the puck behind the net and along the boards. He seems to be gripping the stick way too tight and misses easy passes, especially on the power-play point.
6) Pavel Zacha experiment has to end, he needs a fresh start somewhere. I liked him even when he wasn't scoring, now it seems his defense is hurting with his inability to produce offense, heck I would be happy if he would miss way fewer shots and get some on the net.
7) The obvious! they need 2-3 players to step up and show they can score goals. Hughes\Bratt can't be our main hope every night. Less missed shot on the net from the whole team would be a good start.

A ton of other crap can be listed, but long reads suck so I will stop with one last issue(Drafting, we need more mid-round draft picks to become contributors for this team. Oilers are a great example of what happens if you don't draft well after the first round)
Sounds pretty bleak for Newark. :)

Sounds pretty bleak for Newark. :
Not really, it's what's I think(which means nothing) is wrong now with the team, time changes everything. Players might excel in Ruff's system, Some of the young bigger forwards move up to the NHL or they make a decent trade for help.
Devils have a good starting base. especially at the center position with Hughes, Hischier, Mercer, and McLeod they could be great for many years.
It all comes down to continue growth find a few good pieces either in the system or via trade\FA.
Then there is the biggie, goaltending if it does not improve it won't matter how good Hughes and company get. Ask Flyers fans or Edmonton fans how life is without a good goalie

Not really, it's what's I think(which means nothing) is wrong now with the team, time changes everything. Players might excel in Ruff's system, Some of the young bigger forwards move up to the NHL or they make a decent trade for help.
Devils have a good starting base. especially at the center position with Hughes, Hischier, Mercer, and McLeod they could be great for many years.
It all comes down to continue growth find a few good pieces either in the system or via trade\FA.
Then there is the biggie, goaltending if it does not improve it won't matter how good Hughes and company get. Ask Flyers fans or Edmonton fans how life is without a good goalie

The Devils are definitely solid down the middle, so you're right about that. But, I think you oversimplify what yhey still need.
Goaltending is obvious, but the defense needs to be upgraded, and they need to add to their 2nd and 3rd line wings.

Can’t believe Jack is out.
I thought they weren’t testing?
Oh yea, they are when you play in Canada

The Devils are definitely solid down the middle, so you're right about that. But, I think you oversimplify what yhey still need.
Goaltending is obvious, but the defense needs to be upgraded, and they need to add to their 2nd and 3rd line wings.
I agree with that, I had hoped I covered that in my previous post. Basically said Severson and Smith are a liability defensively right now. Mentioned we need middle draft picks to pan out, these are usually your depth players that make up the bottom 6 forwards.

Devils had multiple opportunities at 3-1 to make this a close, down to the wire game.

Ottawa goals 2 and 3 killed them.

Second goal Dawson Mercer was in front of net watching the guy below the goalline, didn't recognize the guy alone in the slot. Mental lapse, but costly.

Then I think there was a bit of a team brain farm, because the next one was 9 seconds later.
But, for 40 minutes Devils were better by a lot.

It is too bad Primeau can't be the opposing goalie for all games, 😆. A nice reprieve for the Devils in this lost season. I hope they can bottle the effort and build on it.

Marchand suspended 6 games for suckered punching Pittsburgh goalie Tristan Jarry.

Guy is way too talented to be this big of a douche.

Marchand suspended 6 games for suckered punching Pittsburgh goalie Tristan Jarry.

Guy is way too talented to be this big of a douche.
And then spearing him with his stick as he was led off the ice.

That certainly didn’t help his cause.

And then spearing him with his stick as he was led off the ice.

That certainly didn’t help his cause.

Bizarre that Pittsburgh did little in response.
But, Billy Smith would have made him think twice about that kind of silliness.

If there was a scrum at the netfront, maybe a player reacts to something; still wrong but whatever. Marchand skated in from the wall or below the circle to deliver the blow.

The guy is just a piece of crap, his actions go past what an "agitator" would do.

Bizarre that Pittsburgh did little in response.
But, Billy Smith would have made him think twice about that kind of silliness.

If there was a scrum at the netfront, maybe a player reacts to something; still wrong but whatever. Marchand skated in from the wall or below the circle to deliver the blow.

The guy is just a piece of crap, his actions go past what an "agitator" would do.
I think everyone was, Bruins and Penguins, just too shocked when they both happened.

Way over the line in both instances IMO.

Reactions: miker183
Hey Harris and Blitzer, your NHL team the NJ DEVILS, can't win with ECHL level goaltending!!! From 3-1 ahead to a 6-3 loss.

Reactions: Ronnie_B
Two goals for Ovie tonight (31 on season).

From Twitter:

Alex Ovechkin has scored goal No. 761.

6 goals to pass Jaromir Jagr for 3rd all-time.

41 goals to pass Gordie Howe for 2nd all-time.

134 goals to pass Wayne Gretzky for most all-time.

Hey Harris and Blitzer, your NHL team the NJ DEVILS, can't win with ECHL level goaltending!!! From 3-1 ahead to a 6-3 loss.
It's frustrating but in fairness they twice have been snake bit by UFA signings of backup goalies, Crawford last year quit right before the season started and Bernier is out for the year with an injury, and of course Blackwood is out too, it was hoped that two of the AHL goalies would be ready to step in but they're not. But we can't continue with Gilles the rest of the year, Fitz needs to find someone to fill in.

Reactions: TM94goRU
It's frustrating but in fairness they twice have been snake bit by UFA signings of backup goalies, Crawford last year quit right before the season started and Bernier is out for the year with an injury, and of course Blackwood is out too, it was hoped that two of the AHL goalies would be ready to step in but they're not. But we can't continue with Gilles the rest of the year, Fitz needs to find someone to fill in.

The D needs to shoulder some of the blame.
Subban was minus FOUR last night. And I know most Devils fans recognize he's not the player he was, but I thought that when they got him.
I've read articles that he's an asset for the Devils at the trade deadline, but I need to ask: who wants THIS version of Subban?

The D needs to shoulder some of the blame.
Subban was minus FOUR last night. And I know most Devils fans recognize he's not the player he was, but I thought that when they got him.
I've read articles that he's an asset for the Devils at the trade deadline, but I need to ask: who wants THIS version of Subban?
Last night as much as this season mostly falls on terrible goaltending:

With just average goaltending were talking a six game swing the other way, that's pretty significant, imagine if they had someone of the stature of Shesterkin?

And Subban has actually been pretty solid this year, it does have some value and I would be surprised if a team like Toronto, his hometown, might be willing to bring him on.

Last night as much as this season mostly falls on terrible goaltending:

With just average goaltending were talking a six game swing the other way, that's pretty significant, imagine if they had someone of the stature of Shesterkin?

And Subban has actually been pretty solid this year, it does have some value and I would be surprised if a team like Toronto, his hometown, might be willing to bring him on.

Completely disagree on Subban, but different opinions.

As for goaltending, due to recent draft orders, the Devils have secured a strong stable down the middle and that is a great place to start.
BUT, it needs to be a rare talent to draft a goalie in top 10 picks. So the only ways to get a keeper is by trade or draft and patience. Personally, when Schneider was secured by the Devils it was an early coup, as they gave up little for him (my opinion.) His play deteriorated quickly; no idea why.

I still think the Rangers' hidden gem is Benoit Allaire; the goaltending coach. The backups in NY are sought after in free agency. I think Georgiev bucks that trend, but I think he feels he is better than reality proves. LOL.

True, but by waiting this long and not being proactive, the season is over. Poor management.

And gave it back because of the rag. connection, right?
No. LOL

Huge Ranger fan that started out in the blue seats and because of a very successful career now against the glass.

I didn’t know anything about the award but after some research it was obvious my friend was a well deserved recipient.

After watching the Michigan game on BTN last night and Luke's play all game along capped by this brilliant coast to coast goal:

I'm ready to say this for the the first time - Luke should have gone #1 overall in the 2021 NHL draft. For the season as a defenseman in 32 games he has 16 goals and 16 assists.

And here is the point to remember - he's the younger player in NCAA hockey this year. Born one week later he would be in this year's draft and most likely go #1 overall.

Him and Jack are going to be something else for us Devils fans.

After watching the Michigan game on BTN last night and Luke's play all game along capped by this brilliant coast to coast goal:

I'm ready to say this for the the first time - Luke should have gone #1 overall in the 2021 NHL draft. For the season as a defenseman in 32 games he has 16 goals and 16 assists.

And here is the point to remember - he's the younger player in NCAA hockey this year. Born one week later he would be in this year's draft and most likely go #1 overall.

Him and Jack are going to be something else for us Devils fans.
One of the best sports related reactions I’ve seen in quite sometime was Jack’s when his brother got picked.

One of the best sports related reactions I’ve seen in quite sometime was Jack’s when his brother got picked.
Because if anyone knows how special Luke is going to be it's his brothers.

And that was a great genuine moment of happiness, still get moved by it.

Still a ways to go, and he can tank it all tomorrow, but Shesterkin is playing out of his mind right now. Like top 10 year for a goalie ever kinda good.

Plus, here are the ages of his starting D right now:

It makes no sense. It makes even less sense given that I don’t believe that the NYR forwards have been known as a bunch of Guy Carbonneaus.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT