ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2023 FIBA World Cup

WhichReligionIsRight

Hall of Famer
Oct 19, 2010
Davis, CA
There must be some other international basketball fans out there.

USA is off to a great start. I saw the USA-Greece game and the USA basically curbed stomped the Greeks. Giannis isn't playing (though his brother is - confusing). I expect the USA to beat Jordan by at least 50 points.

Unfortunately, I don't get ESPN+, so can't watch any of the other matches. This is a major drag. I really wish Disney would show the games on ESPN/ESPN2.

Surprisingly, France is out, and Canada may really be one of the top teams this year.

I have a question - hope someone can help me with this. During the group state, teams get points - 2 points for winning and 1 point for losing. FIBA also uses scoring differential as a tie-breaker. However, why do they award one point for losing a game? The Philippines lost all three games and ended up with three points. There must be some good underlying reason for this scheme, but I don't get it.

I don't understand the losing and receiving a point thing at all. I know of no other international competition where that's the case. I have been following the tune-ups and the games mainly by reading. I keep forgetting that the games are on in the morning. The US games have aired at 8:30 a.m., which isn't a bad viewing time.

There must be some other international basketball fans out there.

USA is off to a great start. I saw the USA-Greece game and the USA basically curbed stomped the Greeks. Giannis isn't playing (though his brother is - confusing). I expect the USA to beat Jordan by at least 50 points.

Unfortunately, I don't get ESPN+, so can't watch any of the other matches. This is a major drag. I really wish Disney would show the games on ESPN/ESPN2.

Surprisingly, France is out, and Canada may really be one of the top teams this year.

I have a question - hope someone can help me with this. During the group state, teams get points - 2 points for winning and 1 point for losing. FIBA also uses scoring differential as a tie-breaker. However, why do they award one point for losing a game? The Philippines lost all three games and ended up with three points. There must be some good underlying reason for this scheme, but I don't get it.
Giannis underwent a ‘cleanup’ procedure on one of his knees a few weeks ago and is now in the process of recovery. That's why he skipped the Word Cup.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT