ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Giants Off Season Thread

No QB could look even average with the receivers and the OL Jones was put behind in the first half of last year.
Except for the fact that UDFA DeVito and Taylor looked a ton better with basically the same team. Jones is allergic to throwing the ball deep. He also relies heavily on running the ball since he can't pass and with multiple neck injuries and now a torn ACL that part of his game is more in doubt. He's not a good pocket passer.

Except for the fact that UDFA DeVito and Taylor looked a ton better with basically the same team. Jones is allergic to throwing the ball deep. He also relies heavily on running the ball since he can't pass and with multiple neck injuries and now a torn ACL that part of his game is more in doubt. He's not a good pocket passer.
what pocket?

what pocket?
Hogwash. We can go back and look at plays where he had time and still couldn't get it right. He's a one read and panic QB. CBs all through the NFL know this. The perfect example was in Seattle game going in for a TD Jones make the wrong read on the play and Seattle rookie QB makes the INT and takes it in for a TD. He had Waller wide open in the end zone and messed it up.

Rumor going around today is that the Giants are attempting to trade up to #3 to draft a QB.

Ugh. Not only are they going to be giving up a ransom to #3 but they totally invalidate their own decision to resign Jones 13 months ago

I guess we'll see but not sure I buy it. The Patriots currently have Zappe as their starting QB and are at #3 with a chance to draft a higher end QB.

Drafting is different than resigning

Not really. A decision is a decision.
The number one rule is don't double down on bad past decisions.
Jones and Neal and Thomas and everyone else under contract are sunk costs.
Denver traded a ton for Russell Wilson. Then promptly moved off him.
They didn't let him hang around for years just to "validate" the trade they made.

Some sunk costs are fine - such as Thomas.
Some sunk costs are not fine - such as Jones and Neal perhaps (or Russell Wilson).
You don't let those suck costs impact future decisions though.
You take the medicine and work through changing things.

Especially when they are short term costs (1-2 year contracts).
Ideally GM Schoen should be planning the team for the next 10 years - not the next 2.

Brooklyn Nets seem adamant on not trading Bridges in some sort of attempt to "validate" the KD/Kyrie trades.
And it's holding back the team from moving forward getting a plan forward in place and they have arguably the worst future outlook in the NBA.

They didn't let him hang around for years just to "validate" the trade they made.

Some sunk costs are not fine - such as Jones and Neal perhaps (or Russell Wilson).

Ideally GM Schoen should be planning the team for the next 10 years - not the next 2.

Brooklyn Nets seem adamant on not trading Bridges in some sort of attempt to "validate" the KD/Kyrie trades.
And it's holding back the team from moving forward getting a plan forward in place and they have arguably the worst future outlook in the NBA.

I agree that you try not to compound mistakes .... but don't agree that its always that black and white as the salary cap timing comes into play.

The Broncos are taking a $53M cap hit this year by cutting Russel Wilson. Their QB Depth is now Stidham and Zach Wilson. Even if they draft another QB, they could be looking as several years of bad football

Cutting Neal would be folly this year as the dead money would greatly exceed his cap hit. OL sometimes take longer to develop so IMO its still too early to tell. Further, the Giants entire OL pretty much stunk it up and did not work well together last year. Was that coaching? They brought in a new OL coach - so we will see. Note that his best position might actually be at guard.

Jones in hindsight was not a good signing. But the team did not have many other viable options from a Free Agent QB at the time who would have worked under their cap last season. Plus coming off a playoff year, they did not want to overtly take a step back (even though that's what happened - again hindsight being 20/20). After this season they can move on from Jones and take a $22M cap hit, so timing comes into play with managing sunk costs against the cap .

It's a totally different assessment.

You have much more information on a player when you decide to re-sign him. He's been in your system for 3-5 years and competing in the NFL for mutliple seasons. A draft pick is a projection that they can succeed in your system.

Could this be why this guy may be not sure if he is gonna play next year? I heard rumors he was having substance issues again. For his sake if he is not in it anymore I hope he just retires.

I liked Odunze better than Nabers.

I watched enough RU ball to have acquired an appreciation of a hand catching WR who humiliates DBs in red zone. Good kid too.

Belichick said Nabers is "hard to cover."

Reactions: RU from Jersey
I liked Odunze better than Nabers.

I watched enough RU ball to have acquired an appreciation of a hand catching WR who humiliates DBs in red zone. Good kid too.

Belichick said Nabers is "hard to cover."
I would have been fine with either

Recovering from knee surgery and has a reoccurring neck injury
So then next year there will be QB s available
Wilh a better receiver, lineman, and so on.
Early picks go to the worst teams. improve
the team maybe we will find someone that
wants to come here.

Zap, off topic:
Today's Star Ledger sports, had an article on
Art Schallock celebrating his 100th birthday
the oldest living major leaguer. He was on the 51, 52, and 53 world series team. He was called
up when Mantle was sent down. He was Yogi's
roommate. Yogi sent him to the lobby
every day to get him the funnies. Good read
did you know him?

Last edited:
Reactions: Plum Street
Zap, off topic:
Today's Star Ledger sports, had an article on
Art Schallock celebrating his 100th birthday
the oldest living major leaguer. He was on the 51, 52, and 53 world series team. He was called
up when Mantle was sent down. He was Yogi's
roommate. Yogi sent him to the lobby
every day to get him the funnies. Good read
did you how him?

Worried most about the first neck injury which I think was a disc issue. 2nd neck issue was supposedly stinger, so not really sure if that will be a long term issue. Not worried too much about the ACL as it seems even RB's are coming back in as soon as 8 months these days.

"The Giants pick is in". Followed by 5 minutes of commercials. Then Tyler Nubin, a player in a position of need. Next pick 30 sends later. Giants fans getting played.

"The Giants pick is in". Followed by 5 minutes of commercials. Then Tyler Nubin, a player in a position of need. Next pick 30 sends later. Giants fans getting played.
There is always commercials when the Giants pick. Every year it happens

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT