ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Giants Off Season Thread

Giants plan to release veteran guard Mark Glowinski, sources told @JordanRaanan and me. The release saves $5.7M on the cap.

Glowinski was easily the Giants highest-rated guard this past season, per PFF, 25th overall with a 64.8 grade

So on a team with a horrible O line outside of Thomas they release the best Guard they have. I know it saves them money but the O line is worse now then it was last year if that is even possible

The Giant's decline under Jerry Reese began when he was ditching OL every year to save money.
Decent FA OL barely exist, and the draft is a roll of the dice that has not been good for NYG.

Tyron Smith is reported as probably leaving Dallas but he's been playing since 2013. He had a good 2023 though

Last edited:
New 40 yd dash record at combine - 4.21 seconds.
Former record (4.22) was by John Ross who was a NYG for one year (2021).
Ross didn't do much and has left the league

Saw that yesterday and it was all the talk on NFL network. Usually these guys dont pan out to be top receivers. Hopefully for the kid it improves his draft position and he works out for the team. I remember Ross, he was good for one deep ball every few games and nothing else.

Reactions: ashokan
I listen to WFAN and Evan and fans say Saquon was a bust compared to expectations.
But he started out great and then got injured.
Plus all RBs need a OL and a passing game.
When defense knows a QB cant get the time to throw long the defense gets to play tight to the LOS.
Saquon had best ability to break a TD run compared to rest of league.

I listen to WFAN and Evan and fans say Saquon was a bust compared to expectations.
But he started out great and then got injured.
Plus all RBs need a OL and a passing game.
When defense knows a QB cant get the time to throw long the defense gets to play tight to the LOS.
Saquon had best ability to break a TD run compared to rest of league.

Bust? Evan and those fans are nuts. Name me an RB who would do better behind that OL and with those WRs.

Reactions: Kbee3 and ashokan
Bust? Evan and those fans are nuts. Name me an RB who would do better behind that OL and with those WRs.

When fans don't know football basics and just look at stats you get comments like Evan's.

A passing game benefits from a good running game and vice versa. Defenses like being able to ignore half of an offense. When they have to defend run and pass equally they get stressed. Opposing defenses had an easier time focusing on Saquon with weak OL that couldn't block run or pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: mdk01
This WR is great - made Penix look good

"A team captain with good size and elite ball skills, Odunze consistently dominated his competition. While most receivers look to open separation windows with speed or route running, Odunze seems to relish jump balls and contested catches. He shines in all aspects of ball skills, including positioning, body control, hand strength, timing and mid-air adjustments. He has a tendency to cruise through routes rather than working with attention to detail and pacing. He was a decorated high school sprinter, so speed should not be an issue in the pros. He’s a high-volume target on the next level that play-callers can utilize to mismatch finesse cornerbacks. Elite ball skills are often the secret sauce for top NFL receivers, so it should not surprise if Odunze is a Day 1 starter who becomes a top-flight WR1."

This WR is great - made Penix look good

"A team captain with good size and elite ball skills, Odunze consistently dominated his competition. While most receivers look to open separation windows with speed or route running, Odunze seems to relish jump balls and contested catches. He shines in all aspects of ball skills, including positioning, body control, hand strength, timing and mid-air adjustments. He has a tendency to cruise through routes rather than working with attention to detail and pacing. He was a decorated high school sprinter, so speed should not be an issue in the pros. He’s a high-volume target on the next level that play-callers can utilize to mismatch finesse cornerbacks. Elite ball skills are often the secret sauce for top NFL receivers, so it should not surprise if Odunze is a Day 1 starter who becomes a top-flight WR1."

And it wouldn't matter if the QB is on his back (or on IR) in 2.5 seconds. Unless they sign some FAs they should go OL in the 1st. They could even trade down 3-4 spots in the round, pick up a pick in the 3rd and draft Latham, Alabama ORT who's listed as the #14 to #18 overall prospect on most draft sites.

And it wouldn't matter if the QB is on his back (or on IR) in 2.5 seconds. Unless they sign some FAs they should go OL in the 1st. They could even trade down 3-4 spots in the round, pick up a pick in the 3rd and draft Latham, Alabama ORT who's listed as the #14 to #18 overall prospect on most draft sites.

This same argument comes up every year for teams.
Same for "QB doesn't matter if he has no time".
It's not mutually exclusive. "Draft a QB/WR or improve OL."
You can do both.

Houston had a terrible OL and still took Stroud.
We took an OL at #7 2 years ago and already looking to replace him.

There was a big Begals fan debate over drafting Chase or an OL.
Not comparing the players but just the general situation.
This meme sums it up.

This same argument comes up every year for teams.
Same for "QB doesn't matter if he has no time".
It's not mutually exclusive. "Draft a QB/WR or improve OL."
You can do both.

Houston had a terrible OL and still took Stroud.
We took an OL at #7 2 years ago and already looking to replace him.

There was a big Begals fan debate over drafting Chase or an OL.
Not comparing the players but just the general situation.
This meme sums it up.
This.

Further, developing an OL from even a First Round Pick often takes multiple years, so even if the Giants draft another Tackle at #6, there is no guarantee the line will get better right away. Giants have a lot of needs and should take who they consider the best player at #6 based on their draft board - whether that is a QB, RB or otherwise.

I'll guess that the OL will improve next year simply based on Thomas being healthy (he missed a number of games). Also guessing that they will move Neil to guard. He obviously is a mess in pass protection but is a decent run blocker and at guard his pass protection footwork won't be a liability as it is on the end at tackle against smaller/quicker edge rushers. Schmitz showed potential to be solid at Center. Perhaps they will bring in a right tackle via Free agency. They will also likely use the draft to build OL depth.

Neal will stay at RT to start this year I think. They're going to hope the new OL coach can get him and the rest of the line straightened out. Guard seems to be the place we'll attack in FA.

Last edited:
Neal will stay at RT to start this year I think. They're going to hope the new OL coach can get him and the rest of the line straightened out. Guard seems to be the place we'll attach in FA.

Could be, and I'm hoping this works as Guard will be a lesser cap hit than tackle. I can guess based on my limited knowledge of watching the team and Neal.

The pick was a bust.

He could certainly still have a good career, but if it's in a different uni, while we get no compensation(which is another topic worthy of discussion) then it doesn't make the pick look any better.

Reactions: NickRU714
The pick was a bust.

He could certainly still have a good career, but if it's in a different uni, while we get no compensation(which is another topic worthy of discussion) then it doesn't make the pick look any better.

If you want to say the pick was a bust because he played behind a piss poor OL with little WR talent that's one thing. But he had and has the talent to justify being picked at that spot in the draft.

If you want to say the pick was a bust because he played behind a piss poor OL with little WR talent that's one thing. But he had and has the talent to justify being picked at that spot in the draft.
His injuries have to be factored in.

As does the decision to draft a RB with the pick. Unless we want to say that makes it a bad pick, as opposed to a bust.

Giants signed Singletary - 3 years $16.5 million - not sure how much guaranteed

Also signed Jon Runyan (Guard) - 3 years $30M

Xavier McKinney signed by GB.

What a great afternoon. 2 out the Giants 3 best players walked out the door today.

This GM doesn’t seem to have any discernible vision.

1. Never draft a RB high
2. Definitely never pay a RB
In general I agree and as an Eagles fan I don't love this signing, but I can see their thought process and don't mind it.

I think for the Giants going from Barkley to Singletary doesn't matter much they are not going to be a contender no matter what.

For the Eagles I think Barkley for 4-5 mill per year than Swift or another RB raises their ceiling on Offense, which is the key to winning games. With the cap going up, paying a RB this year isn't going to kill them.

Reactions: Plum Street
Xavier McKinney signed by GB.

What a great afternoon. 2 out the Giants 3 best players walked out the door today.

This GM doesn’t seem to have any discernible vision.

Perhaps his vision is to spend the money instead to try and build the best defensive line in the NFL as well build up what has been a shitty OLine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT