ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Giants Off Season Thread

Of which I certainly am not one. But I like draft talk, draft scenarios. Anyway here is the question. If as expected quarterbacks go 1 and 2 next month would you then try to make a move to jump ahead of Arizona and grab Marvin Harrison Jr. at 3? New England has that pick followed by Arizona and the Chargers. I don't think either would take a QB so New England could move down to number 6 and still get the 3rd QB. I guess the risk for them would be someone QB hungry moving up to 4 or 5 to take one.
I keep hearing QB's go 1-2-3. Giants to take McCarthy at 6.

But a top TE.
Yes a top TE, but legit bad WR's.

Giants are missing a stud WR, but I actually like the group. Robinson looks good. Slayton is decent. Need more from Hyatt, but I think he has talent. I thought they squeezed Hodgins to get everyone else involved but he's OK.

Waller was a massive disappointment, though "technically" a TE.

Cry me a river.

You don’t know that the Giants would have taken Darnold. Josh Allen went at #7 that year. The Bills say thank you to the Giants and Jets.

Barkley is healthy now, yet former RU / tOSU OG Jonah Jackson, drafted # 75 in 2020, just signed a 3 year deal worth $14m more than Barkley’s; let that sink in. It’s about positional value, and Gettleman was clueless.
In hindsight the move was probably to trade back and get extra picks, but I have full confidence Gettleman would have screwed up all those picks.

Reactions: GSGS
Cry me a river.

You don’t know that the Giants would have taken Darnold. Josh Allen went at #7 that year. The Bills say thank you to the Giants and Jets.

Barkley is healthy now, yet former RU / tOSU OG Jonah Jackson, drafted # 75 in 2020, just signed a 3 year deal worth $14m more than Barkley’s; let that sink in. It’s about positional value, and Gettleman was clueless.

Nobody can say for sure who Giants would have taken (if not Saquon) but probabilities have Darnold right up there. We didn't hear "Suck for Josh" for a year before draft. NYG org was on hot seat over needing Eli replacement. Most teams admired Allen's arm strength but he was seen as inaccurate and INT prone.
Playing for D1A Wyoming vs USC wasn't a plus.

Of course looking back Allen would have been a great pick but Gettleman drafted Jones in 19 because Shurmer wanted him (Gettleman liked Herbert and went to Oregon games). Some teams know how to draft QBs (like KC) and some don't (like Chicago). Accorsi was good but Giants haven't been very good QB drafters. Sims was developmental - I watched the coaches teaching him how to throw in first summer camp at Pace U.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSGS
Antonio Brown busts Giants on Jones

Jones on stage with Zack Bryan’s band

Here's a guy who gets the "contested catches" dynamic and not just TDs and YDs. Rome Odunze made Penix look better than he was.

"Q: Why is University of Washington’s Rome Odunze your favorite receiver?

A: My comp was a bigger, stronger, faster Garrett Wilson. It’s his size, he catches everything with his hands — he dropped a total of three balls last year. He was a punt returner at Washington, I saw him take one back to the house. He’s fast, and his contested ball catch was 75 percent, which was by far the best in the whole country. It didn’t matter who he was going against, ball’s in the air, his ability to go up and get it, use his size, his leaping ability, his speed. … He’s got the whole combination that you’re looking for. He looks like he’s a faster Davante Adams."

Reactions: Postman_1
Here's a guy who gets the "contested catches" dynamic and not just TDs and YDs. Rome Odunze made Penix look better than he was.

"Q: Why is University of Washington’s Rome Odunze your favorite receiver?

A: My comp was a bigger, stronger, faster Garrett Wilson. It’s his size, he catches everything with his hands — he dropped a total of three balls last year. He was a punt returner at Washington, I saw him take one back to the house. He’s fast, and his contested ball catch was 75 percent, which was by far the best in the whole country. It didn’t matter who he was going against, ball’s in the air, his ability to go up and get it, use his size, his leaping ability, his speed. … He’s got the whole combination that you’re looking for. He looks like he’s a faster Davante Adams."

He seems like a very high character guy. After the combine he was running a drill until he got the number he wanted. Nabers had the issue with a gun a few years ago and was not charged. Not sure how that plays into the Giants draft strategy. With character questions with Toney and Baker maybe they stay clear?

If they trade up for a QB I hope they don’t give up too much. They still have a lot of holes to fill

Reactions: ashokan
He seems like a very high character guy. After the combine he was running a drill until he got the number he wanted. Nabers had the issue with a gun a few years ago and was not charged. Not sure how that plays into the Giants draft strategy. With character questions with Toney and Baker maybe they stay clear?

If they trade up for a QB I hope they don’t give up too much. They still have a lot of holes to fill

I liked Odunze the first time I saw him. I always look for contested receptions by a WR. There's more to being a good WR than having speed and good hands although they help.

Even if players who fight for balls dont make receptions they tend to be better at swatting INTs from DBs. They are also good for drawing pass interference fouls. Interference fouls are a big part of the long pass game

Bill's about to turn 72.
If he ran for president he would be the youngster.
72 is too old for college but 76 in NFL for proven coach isn't so bad.
Would Joe Judge, Schurmer and McAdoo be better?

Shows how bad things have been for them. A combination of QB, WR's and O line. I saw another stat they are dead last in 1st quarter TD's the last 3 years with 8.

mcieuscqvuuc1.png

Reactions: ashokan
I’d rather draft Bo Nix
I don't think Nix is good enough to warrant the #6 pick in this draft. Maybe if he's available in round 2. I would prefer the Giants take the best available O-lineman with their pick, but they're probably gonna go with the best available wr at #6.

Last edited:
Reactions: Morrischiano
I liked Odunze the first time I saw him. I always look for contested receptions by a WR. There's more to being a good WR than having speed and good hands although they help.

Even if players who fight for balls dont make receptions they tend to be better at swatting INTs from DBs. They are also good for drawing pass interference fouls. Interference fouls are a big part of the long pass game
I always thought that "contested catches" meant not getting separation.

I always thought that "contested catches" meant not getting separation.

It can in places like red zone.
Red zone is a short field and secondary is right near the box - any throw can easily be in close quarters.
Even good WRs can be bad at fighting for receptions.
Sanu was a monster that way - he would not only make the catch but leave the DB crumpled on the ground lol

Rumor going around today is that the Giants are attempting to trade up to #3 to draft a QB.

Ugh. Not only are they going to be giving up a ransom to #3 but they totally invalidate their own decision to resign Jones 13 months ago

Reactions: Plum Street
Rumor going around today is that the Giants are attempting to trade up to #3 to draft a QB.

Ugh. Not only are they going to be giving up a ransom to #3 but they totally invalidate their own decision to resign Jones 13 months ago

They should listen to Logan Ryan. And if not a receiver, draft an ORT. They could trade down a little, pick up a late 2nd or 3rd and draft Latham, ORT from Albama. But I'm sure there will be all sorts of rumors flying around for the next two days.

Who cares if they invalidate their decision to sign Jones. It's been clear as day he isn't a SB winning QB and that's before you add in yet another injury. They were dumb in the first place to sign him to that deal. You don't give up trying to improve the position because you made a mistake a year ago. You learn from it and move on.

Reactions: NickRU714
Who cares if they invalidate their decision to sign Jones. It's been clear as day he isn't a SB winning QB and that's before you add in yet another injury. They were dumb in the first place to sign him to that deal. You don't give up trying to improve the position because you made a mistake a year ago. You learn from it and move on.
No QB could look even average with the receivers and the OL Jones was put behind in the first half of last year.

If he ran for president he would be the youngster.
72 is too old for college but 76 in NFL for proven coach isn't so bad.
Would Joe Judge, Schurmer and McAdoo be better?
You do wonder if the longer the stay away from the game, the less likely they are to return. How many times has Cowher's name been floated? He appears to have less than zero interest in going through the grind again. Vermeil shocked me when he returned.

Don't tell them that drafting an OT at #6 "invalidates" the decision to draft Evan Neal at #7 overall in 2022.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT