ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

As fyi Ozzie Albies was activated several days ago by Braves. He had been injured
He's only batting right handed. I am cautiously optimistic and confident going into this series. Just have to contain Ozuna and Olsen who has suddenly started producing and not get hurt by guys like Urshela and Darnaud. And always some worry against left- handed pitchers because of the guys you'd expect to do the best against them like Alonso and Martinez just aren't. I don't know if you can play Martinez against anyone right now. I don't care what he says about finding what the problem has been. He still looked futile in his one at bat in the game tonight. Tuesday's game is so huge. The last time we faced that rookie Swellenbach I think it might have been our worst offensive performance as a team at that point in the season. All the good feelings coming out of this 3 of 4 series win mean nothing if we don't exercise those late season demons in Atlanta. But this team is just different.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
He's only batting right handed. I am cautiously optimistic and confident going into this series. Just have to contain Ozuna and Olsen who has suddenly started producing and not get hurt by guys like Urshela and Darnaud. And always some worry against left- handed pitchers because of the guys you'd expect to do the best against them like Alonso and Martinez just aren't. I don't know if you can play Martinez against anyone right now. I don't care what he says about finding what the problem has been. He still looked futile in his one at bat in the game tonight. Tuesday's game is so huge. The last time we faced that rookie Swellenbach I think it might have been our worst offensive performance as a team at that point in the season. All the good feelings coming out of this 3 of 4 series win mean nothing if we don't exercise those late season demons in Atlanta. But this team is just different.
We need to get this first one. We need to get at least one of any of these next 3 but let’s start with the first one so we can breath

Would be awfully nice to pop the corks on their turf.
Full House Yes GIF by Bubble Punk

You are forgetting the tiebreaker.

If Mets take the series, they take the tiebreaker. Up 3 with 3 to go. Over and out.

If Mets take just 1, then they are 1 up, but the Braves would then have the tiebreaker. Mets would still be in the driver's seat, but with no margin for error.

If Mets get swept again, no bueno. I include this merely for the sake of completeness.
Worst case scenario is obviously losing all 3. Throw that one out.

If Mets go 1-2 vs. Braves, Mets are up 1, with Braves having the tiebreaker.

Mets would need to:
1. Win all three against Brewers
2. Mets/Braves have same records in final series. Braves have the KC Royals.

As for the D-backs, with whom Mets are tied and own the tiebreaker, D-backs have 3 against the Giants but then 3 against the Padres. D-backs are 5-5 vs. Padres and 6-4 against Giants.

Mets are 5-5 vs. Braves and 0-3 vs. Brewers this season, but that was the first 3 games of season.

Just win more!

EDIT - Fixed per Rahway Bob's comment below!!

Last edited:
Worst case scenario is obviously losing all 3. Throw that one out.

If Mets go 1-2 vs. Braves, they are tied, with Braves having the tiebreaker.

Mets would need to:
1. Win all three against Brewers
2. Have the same or better record than Braves in final 3 games. Braves have the KC Royals.

As for the D-backs, with whom Mets are tied, D-backs have 3 against the Giants but then 3 against the Padres. D-backs are 5-5 vs. Padres and 6-4 against Giants.

Mets are 0-3 vs. Brewers this season, but that was the first 3 games of season.

Just win more!
The Mets are 2 games up on the Braves! If they go 1 and 2 in the series, they would still have a 1 game lead.

Lindor back tues

Who sits ? Who is DH ?

RHP 1st game.

JD has been terrible as in 0-32 terrible , two LHP game 2 and 3

Marte DH ?
Nimmo Bader Taylor in OF ?

Could you sit Nimmo if his numbers vs one of them are bad ? Go bader Taylor marte OF DH vientos ? Acuna to 2B ?

Lindor ss
OMG 3B
Marte RF
Pete 1B
Vientos DH
Taylor LF
Alvarez C
Bader CF
Acuna 2B

I think Mets go with JD DH and sit Acuna , Nimmo plays LF

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
70% chance of rain forecast for Thursday. From a tropical system forming now and expected to come through the gulf. But obviously the game will have to be played. Even if it's a Rick Camp game 3 in the morning special. I guess if we were to win the first two they could call it off should the game not matter depending on what the Dbacks do up until then. I don't generally put a whole lot of stock in those extended forecasts though. They seem to change so often. For good or bad.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
Lindor back tues

Who sits ? Who is DH ?

RHP 1st game.

Marte DH ?

Could you sit Nimmo if his numbers vs one of them are bad ? Go bader Taylor marte OF DH vientos ? Acuna to 2B ?

Lindor ss
OMG 3B
Marte RF
Pete 1B
Vientos DH
Taylor LF
Alvarez C
Bader CF
Acuna 2B

Not sure what Acuna’s 2B skills are. If good, your scenario looks good - if not, I would put him at DH to not disrupt two infield spots. Would be nice if JD woke up, but not holding my breath.

Sale last start 5 inn , and previous 2 6 innings
Atlanta article said he looked a little gassed in last start. 177 innings so far. Had not been even close to 170 since 214 in 2017 !

Let’s hope Mets work him and get him out after 5 innings.

It’s time to erase the Fulton county demons like the sawx did to Yankees on way to 1st championship in 86 years

It would be good to pass the Braves and Arizona . This would move us to the Phillies Bracket otherwise if we are the third WC team, we will be in Dodgers bracket.

Lindor back tues

Who sits ? Who is DH ?

RHP 1st game.

Marte DH ?

Lindor ss
OMG 3B
Marte RF
Pete 1B
Vientos DH
Taylor LF
Alvarez C
Bader CF
Acuna 2B

Nimmo has been producing as of late and his BA is higher this year against lefties than righties

I know it's a tough call but I would bench Martinez and keep Acuna in the lineup. Depending on how Lindor is feeling, he or Acuna could be the designated hitter. But my read on our manager is that he will show confidence in JD and play him. Hopefully, JD doesn't continue to be a liability.

I know it's a tough call but I would bench Martinez and keep Acuna in the lineup. Depending on how Lindor is feeling, he or Acuna could be the designated hitter. But my read on our manager is that he will show confidence in JD and play him. Hopefully, JD doesn't continue to be a liability.
I find people who are passed over get a sense of urgency to get it in gear. JD could use a dose of it for another game or two.

70% chance of rain forecast for Thursday. From a tropical system forming now and expected to come through the gulf. But obviously the game will have to be played. Even if it's a Rick Camp game 3 in the morning special. I guess if we were to win the first two they could call it off should the game not matter depending on what the Dbacks do up until then. I don't generally put a whole lot of stock in those extended forecasts though. They seem to change so often. For good or bad.
Or will it. Win Tuesday and Wednesday and we are in. Only question is can we catch San Diego (probably not).

Lindor back tues

Who sits ? Who is DH ?

RHP 1st game.

Marte DH ?

Lindor ss
OMG 3B
Marte RF
Pete 1B
Vientos DH
Taylor LF
Alvarez C
Bader CF
Acuna 2B

Lindor will not be back Tuesday. Mark my words.

I haven’t seen anything about Lindor returning Tuesday.

I don’t know if he ll play again during the regular season unfortunately.

Nothing has been suggested of any improvement in his injury situation.

Today’s game would be huge. Not a disaster if we lose but man oh man- a win tonight gives us house money.
I used to go to Vegas with a group from work. Usually 6-10 of us. We always started the first night the same way. Everyone puts in $100
Then, we each pick a different game put them in a hat to choose the order we played them. Then, we picked names out to see our order. So- you may not be the one on the game you pick.
Rule of the game- whoever is playing, they play a max of 20 mins. And they are allowed to go all in with our money at anytime or just do the minimum- the rest of us could not overrule them.
But, here is game 1- always Roulette. We all decide a color. First game of the night- all money collected is put on that color. We lose- everyone loses their $100 and go onto our nights. Win, we double our pot. And first player is up.
Tonight feels like that first all in on Roulette

Today’s game would be huge. Not a disaster if we lose but man oh man- a win tonight gives us house money.
I used to go to Vegas with a group from work. Usually 6-10 of us. We always started the first night the same way. Everyone puts in $100
Then, we each pick a different game put them in a hat to choose the order we played them. Then, we picked names out to see our order. So- you may not be the one on the game you pick.
Rule of the game- whoever is playing, they play a max of 20 mins. And they are allowed to go all in with our money at anytime or just do the minimum- the rest of us could not overrule them.
But, here is game 1- always Roulette. We all decide a color. First game of the night- all money collected is put on that color. We lose- everyone loses their $100 and go onto our nights. Win, we double our pot. And first player is up.
Tonight feels like that first all in on Roulette
Well. Did you win or lose in roulette ?

Been watching the weather for the last 15 minutes and now some rain for Wednesday has been added to this forecast. And that isn't even related to the tropical system. Probably more that's its been hot as hell here since the weekend with temps hitting the mid to upper 90's. I was wondering if they could perhaps try to schedule a double-header for Wednesday with the Thursday forecast. I don't know. And that would perhaps make Manea unavailable to pitch since he pitched on Saturday. I haven't heard of any contingency plans yet but I would think there has been some discussions.

Braves have Sale, Fried and a strong rookie on the mound. They have to be favorites to take 2 out of 3. Simple.

The Mets are going to have to pitch and hit well to come out of this in good shape.

Last edited:
Easy solution- move games to Citi Field!!! Ha, ha.

Here is the NWS call--could they move the Wednesday game up to 1 p.m.? Link below has % potential starting Wednesday at noon. From noon to 8 p.m. the call is for 0.4 inches of rain:

Wednesday
A chance of showers and thunderstorms, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 82. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Wednesday Night
Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Low around 68. East wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
Thursday
Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. High near 75. East wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.
Thursday Night
Tropical storm conditions possible. Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Low around 67. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

It's too late now but maybe a few days ago if they saw this coming, they could have scheduled a double header for today so they have flexibility to play or not on Wednesday and Thursday. It seems like we're going to be in a messy situation tomorrow and Thursday. This weather could impact the pitching significantly. Tonight's game is pretty massive.

Braves have Sale, Fried and a strong rookie on the mound. They have to be favorites to take 2 out of 3. Simple.

The Mets are going to have to pitch and hit well to come out of this in good shape.
Just like the Phils were prohibitive betting favorites going into Wheeler vs. Megill. I'll take our chances with the 3 we have going against any team out there right now.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
I may have read it here but somewhere I saw that Sale is at 170 innings pitched on the season, which is his highest in 5 years. We'll see but he may not be his dominant self. And the Mets already beat him this season. Given this weather situation, tonight is huge. The Mets need to put themselves in a position where a 3rd game doesn't need to be rescheduled.

One possibility not mentioned they can’t play the 3rd game after Mets take 1st 2. Or sweep brewers and royals take a few from Braves Game has to be played because Braves need a win to beat out diamondbacks

Mets are already in Who in the hell would pitch for Mets in meaningless last game of season ?

Would Mets send half of team to San Diego ?

It's too late for today but they should announce a day/night doubleheader for tomorrow. I was just looking at the Weather Channel and there is no chance they will play on Thursday.

One possibility not mentioned they can’t play the 3rd game after Mets take 1st 2. Or sweep brewers and royals take a few from Braves Game has to be played because Braves need a win to beat out diamondbacks

Mets are already in Who in the hell would pitch for Mets in meaningless last game of season ?

Would Mets send half of team to San Diego ?
Let JD pitch and take the bus to San Diego!!!

I guess with Winker being a lefty and JD slumping, it wasn't such a hard decision. But the lineup does look far less intimidating with Lindor and Martinez' bats missing.

I guess with Winker being a lefty and JD slumping, it wasn't such a hard decision. But the lineup does look far less intimidating with Lindor and Martinez' bats missing.
At some point JD has got to get a hit. Right? Ugh

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT