ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

Can you say, money money money to get whomever they want and a one stop destination for entertainment. I guess a long weekend here in Queens might look more attractive than one in the Bronx for tourist wanting to visit the city and take in a ball game.😎
I can’t imagine that anyone, anywhere, at any time has engaged in the mental agony of choosing between a long weekend in Queens or a long weekend in the Bronx.

• Haha
Reactions: Rutgers NJ
The results last night were not Met-friendly:

Dodgers beat Padres to clinch NL West. Padres now pretty much locked into 4 seed, and will have little motivation against the D-Backs.

Royals beat Nats, and Twins lose in 13 innings (which nowadays is a marathon) to Marlins. Royals magic number for clinching playoff is 1. They will be motivated tonight against the Braves, but maybe not beyond tonight.

Too many possible outcomes this weekend to enumerate. Mets could clinch before Monday and not have to play. Or they could clinch before Monday, but still have to play. Or they could be eliminated by Monday, and not get to play. Or anything in between.

Our attention will of course be diverted tonight, but I suspect we'll keep an eye on this.

The results last night were not Met-friendly:

Dodgers beat Padres to clinch NL West. Padres now pretty much locked into 4 seed, and will have little motivation against the D-Backs.

Royals beat Nats, and Twins lose in 13 innings (which nowadays is a marathon) to Marlins. Royals magic number for clinching playoff is 1. They will be motivated tonight against the Braves, but maybe not beyond tonight.

Too many possible outcomes this weekend to enumerate. Mets could clinch before Monday and not have to play. Or they could clinch before Monday, but still have to play. Or they could be eliminated by Monday, and not get to play. Or anything in between.

Our attention will of course be diverted tonight, but I suspect we'll keep an eye on this.
Brewers have nothing to play for also.

Here is the breakdown from The Athletic. There is more, but article is paywalled, and this is the essence:

Padres

• Have clinched a postseason berth

• Have clinched a finish ahead of Atlanta

• Clinch a finish ahead of Arizona with one more win or Arizona loss

• Clinch a finish ahead of New York with a combination of two San Diego wins or New York losses

• Clinch the NL West title ahead of Los Angeles with a combination of seven more San Diego wins or Los Angeles losses

Diamondbacks

• Clinch a finish ahead of Atlanta with a combination of four Arizona wins or Atlanta losses

• Clinch a finish ahead of New York with a combination of five Arizona wins or New York losses

• Clinch a finish ahead of San Diego with a combination of seven Arizona wins or San Diego losses

Mets

• Clinch a finish ahead of Arizona with a combination of four New York wins or Arizona losses

• Clinch a finish ahead of Atlanta with a combination of five New York wins or Atlanta losses

• Clinch a finish ahead of San Diego with a combination of eight New York wins or San Diego losses (This cannot happen before Monday)

Braves

• Clinch a finish ahead of Arizona with a combination of five Atlanta wins or Arizona losses

• Clinch a finish ahead of New York with a combination of seven Atlanta wins or New York losses (This cannot happen before Monday)

One takeaway​

• The Mets cannot be eliminated before Monday’s doubleheader

What would render Monday’s doubleheader completely unnecessary?​

There are a couple scenarios in which the National League playoff field is set and seeded by Sunday night. This would require:

• A Royals sweep of the Braves

• The Padres to take two of three from the Diamondbacks

• The Mets to win the series over the Brewers

In these cases, the Padres would host the Mets and the Brewers would host the Diamondbacks. The Braves would be eliminated.

• Wow
Here is the breakdown from The Athletic. There is more, but article is paywalled, and this is the essence:

Padres

• Have clinched a postseason berth

• Have clinched a finish ahead of Atlanta

• Clinch a finish ahead of Arizona with one more win or Arizona loss

• Clinch a finish ahead of New York with a combination of two San Diego wins or New York losses

• Clinch the NL West title ahead of Los Angeles with a combination of seven more San Diego wins or Los Angeles losses

Diamondbacks

• Clinch a finish ahead of Atlanta with a combination of four Arizona wins or Atlanta losses

• Clinch a finish ahead of New York with a combination of five Arizona wins or New York losses

• Clinch a finish ahead of San Diego with a combination of seven Arizona wins or San Diego losses

Mets

• Clinch a finish ahead of Arizona with a combination of four New York wins or Arizona losses

• Clinch a finish ahead of Atlanta with a combination of five New York wins or Atlanta losses

• Clinch a finish ahead of San Diego with a combination of eight New York wins or San Diego losses (This cannot happen before Monday)

Braves

• Clinch a finish ahead of Arizona with a combination of five Atlanta wins or Arizona losses

• Clinch a finish ahead of New York with a combination of seven Atlanta wins or New York losses (This cannot happen before Monday)

One takeaway​

• The Mets cannot be eliminated before Monday’s doubleheader

What would render Monday’s doubleheader completely unnecessary?​

There are a couple scenarios in which the National League playoff field is set and seeded by Sunday night. This would require:

• A Royals sweep of the Braves

• The Padres to take two of three from the Diamondbacks

• The Mets to win the series over the Brewers

In these cases, the Padres would host the Mets and the Brewers would host the Diamondbacks. The Braves would be eliminated.

That is a good analysis but I think it is a day old. Padres cannot win NL West. Dodgers have clinched with their win yesterday, which was not helpful to us.

It is true that no matter what happens, the Mets cannot be eliminated this weekend. Worst case, they will need to win two on Monday.

Mets can make Monday's results irrelevant (even though they may have to play), by outdoing the D-Backs by one game this weekend. Or, by outdoing the Braves by two games this weekend.

That is a good analysis but I think it is a day old. Padres cannot win NL West. Dodgers have clinched with their win yesterday, which was not helpful to us.

It is true that no matter what happens, the Mets cannot be eliminated this weekend. Worst case, they will need to win two on Monday.

Mets can make Monday's results irrelevant (even though they may have to play), by outdoing the D-Backs by one game this weekend. Or, by outdoing the Braves by two games this weekend.
Just realized that. I don't know what it is with The Athletic since they reverted back to the NYT website. Their articles used to be "real time," and now the morning e-mailers are like the newspaper article that was written the night before and lands on your step with "yesterday's news."
I don't think the word "geometry" means what you think it means ;) But I get your point!
What's your vector, Victor? (Name the movie, and you win a date to see the movie).

Back when there were 31 games left i posed the question, how many wins would it take for the Mets to make the playoffs. At the time I thought 20 wins and 11 losses would get us in. Some others thought around 18 was the number.

They've already won 20 and still have 5 to play. And they haven't clinched a spot!

So, with 5 games left, how many wins does it take to feel very very comfortable they make it? (obviously both against the Braves would do), but if they go 3-2 down the stretch, regardless of who against, is that enough?

Reactions: Knight Shift
it AP or AP2 where he had the "drinking problem" - I quote that all the time when someone spills their drink

drinking-problem-airplane.gif

Surely you can’t be serious. Airplane!

Last edited:
Two straight games in a row where the Mets SP has come up pretty small. I'll stick to the football game until they demonstrate that a fold-up job isn't underway.

Home plate ump - DeJesus - is awful.

Always has been.

He’s an Angel Hernandez clone.

Mendoza tossed. Awful strike 3 call which would have been ball 4 and loaded the bases. Umpire has been very very bad.

KC clinched the 3rd wild card with the Twins loss tonight. Will they even care the next 2 days? They couldn't even score when the game mattered. But then Milwaukee wasn't supposed to care either.

Last edited:
Thank u SD. AZ is the path
Yep. Need two wins and AZ to split their last two. Or one win and AZ to lose both.

Bears repeating: No matter what happens this weekend, Mets cannot be eliminated. Worst case scenario is that they will need to sweep the doubleheader on Monday.

Alvarez hurt.

He slid into 3b unnecessarily and injured his back.

He was in a lot of pain though after the game he said the back felt better.

Maneaa looked like he was pitching in an old timers game.

From the times I saw Lindor, he is still in pain. Saw him grimace several times

Between injuries piling up / sp going to hell past 2 games - I’m very concerned about our ability to make it to the finish line !

Tonight's pitching matchups, as far as we know:

Mets-Brewers: Jose Quintana vs. Jared Koenig, whom I assume will be opener in a bullpen game.

Royals - Braves: Seth Lugo vs. Reynaldo Lopez. Lots of questions here. If Lugo starts, he'll be lined up for WC game 3. Will Royals save him for game 1? Lopez is coming off the IL without benefit of a rehab assignment. How long can he go, and how effective will he be?

Padres - Diamondbacks: No starters yet announced.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT