ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you who like chaos, tomorrow could be your lucky day!

Here are the scenarios:

1) Mets win, D-Backs lose. (Braves result irrelevant.)

This is the simplest and least controversial scenario. Braves advance as WC2 and go to San Diego. Mets advance as WC3 and stay right where they're at, in Milwaukee. D-Backs out. Monday DH cancelled.

2) All three teams win; OR all three teams lose; OR Mets lose, D-Backs lose, Braves win .

Braves clinch, either because they won or because the D-Backs lost. However, Mets still need to win one more game. So the DH proceeds as scheduled. If Braves sweep, D-Backs are in and Mets are out.

Here's the potential controversy. The last thing the Braves want to do is play what for them is a meaningless DH. If they lose the first game, then all is settled and the second game is likely cancelled. Do they tank?

3) Mets lose, D-Backs win, Braves win.

Braves clinch by virtue of their win. Mets now have to sweep the DH, otherwise they are out and D-Backs are in. The problem for the Mets is, the Braves will be highly motivated to win the first game, so they don't have to play the second!

4) Mets win, D-Backs win, Braves lose.

Now it gets complicated. No one has clinched anything yet, and they have to play the DH. The winner of the first game is in. However, the second game must be played, because if the loser of the first game can salvage the split, they too are in. If either team sweeps, the loser is out and the D-Backs are in. If the Mets win the first game and clinch their spot, we can expect to see a lot of Brazoban, Ottavino, and the Youngs in game 2.

5) Mets lose, D-Backs win, Braves lose.

D-Backs clinch. Mets and Braves play the DH, and the Mets must sweep. This will be the most difficult scenario for the Mets. It might actually be advantageous for them if the Braves win tomorrow,

Crazy, no? I think I have it right, but no promises.

For those of you who like chaos, tomorrow could be your lucky day!

Here are the scenarios:

1) Mets win, D-Backs lose. (Braves result irrelevant.)

This is the simplest and least controversial scenario. Braves advance as WC2 and go to San Diego. Mets advance as WC3 and stay right where they're at, in Milwaukee. D-Backs out. Monday DH cancelled.

2) All three teams win; OR all three teams lose; OR Mets lose, D-Backs lose, Braves win .

Braves clinch, either because they won or because the D-Backs lost. However, Mets still need to win one more game. So the DH proceeds as scheduled. If Braves sweep, D-Backs are in and Mets are out.

Here's the potential controversy. The last thing the Braves want to do is play what for them is a meaningless DH. If they lose the first game, then all is settled and the second game is likely cancelled. Do they tank?

3) Mets lose, D-Backs win, Braves win.

Braves clinch by virtue of their win. Mets now have to sweep the DH, otherwise they are out and D-Backs are in. The problem for the Mets is, the Braves will be highly motivated to win the first game, so they don't have to play the second!

4) Mets win, D-Backs win, Braves lose.

Now it gets complicated. No one has clinched anything yet, and they have to play the DH. The winner of the first game is in. However, the second game must be played, because if the loser of the first game can salvage the split, they too are in. If either team sweeps, the loser is out and the D-Backs are in. If the Mets win the first game and clinch their spot, we can expect to see a lot of Brazoban, Ottavino, and the Youngs in game 2.

5) Mets lose, D-Backs win, Braves lose.

D-Backs clinch. Mets and Braves play the DH, and the Mets must sweep. This will be the most difficult scenario for the Mets. It might actually be advantageous for them if the Braves win tomorrow,

Crazy, no? I think I have it right, but no promises.
Thanks for this. Still waiting for The Athletic e-mail providing last Thursday's scenarios.

The Mets clinching a playoff spot TODAY after a win and loss by Arizona despite all the negative videos posted by fake Mets fan Knight Shift. I guess not having Volgelwaste to pimp for has left him thinking he can post shots at the team's recent play. Good thing he did,since none of us were aware,lol.

For anyone who likes stats, the Braves have a 98% chance of making the playoffs, the Mets are at 61%, and the Dbacks are at 41% right now.
Today is gonna be a good day in Mets land. Either way, two games tomorrow will have to be played for seating.

The Mets clinching a playoff spot TODAY after a win and loss by Arizona despite all the negative videos posted by fake Mets fan Knight Shift. I guess not having Volgelwaste to pimp for has left him thinking he can post shots at the team's recent play. Good thing he did,since none of us were aware,lol.
Nine year old alert.

Wouldn't both teams have to agree to that?
Technically no. Commissioner's decision. That said, I would be shocked if there were any disagreement on this. Why would a team that begins its playoff series on Tuesday, want to play on Monday, if they don't have to?

Just couldn’t help himself with the obligatory JD outs. One more and ties a Mets 0-fer

Needed to get as many runs as possible that 4th inning. Best thing that could happen today is to win. Next best thing after that; besides a Dbacks win would be to not have to use the back end bullpen guys today.

If the Braves lose today, the Mets and Braves need a gentlemen’s agreement to split tomorrow, though I dont’t think I’d trust them. Regardless, wouldn’t it be smart for the winner of the first game to rest the regulars in the 2nd?

If the Braves lose today, the Mets and Braves need a gentlemen’s agreement to split tomorrow, though I dont’t think I’d trust them. Regardless, wouldn’t it be smart for the winner of the first game to rest the regulars in the 2nd?
The winner is tanking game 2. No doubt. Especially pitching.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
I don’t think that is happening. They are professionals and take the field to win.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
I don’t think that is happening. They are professionals and take the field to win.
Professionalism will get tossed when u are playing in a playoff game the next day. Expect the worst starting pitching they can find, beat up stars to sit, etc. Lindor for instance ain’t playing if somehow the Mets win g1.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Glad the Heimlich worked today !

Need to do another Heimlich tomorrow to puke out the demons in Atlanta !

Should the Mets have to use both Severino and Megill tomorrow and do make the playoffs - who starts game 1 of wild card round?

do the Braves pitch Sale in game one or hold him for game 2 or the first game of the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT