ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

Jorge Lopez post game interview was a doozy

To summarize

Pretty much said

I’m on the f—-ing worst team in the league and they were embarrassed by me throwing glove
F them , I’ll be here if they want me to , if not I don’t
f—ing care

Asked to clarify yea we are the worst team

Jorge Lopez post game interview was a doozy

To summarize

Pretty much said

I’m on the f—-ing worst team in the league and they were embarrassed by me throwing glove
F them , I’ll be here if they want me to , if not I don’t
f—ing care

Asked to clarify yea we are the worst team
Wow. Sounds like he has to be released immediately.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Think the Mets medical staff analogy started after Reyes was diagnosed with a slight calf strain on a road trip with medical staff saying it was day to day , Reyes ended up missing 8? weeks .

Think the Mets medical staff analogy started after Reyes was diagnosed with a slight calf strain on a road trip with medical staff saying it was day to day , Reyes ended up missing 8? weeks .
Or when David Wrights shoulder turned into spinal stenosis?

He did say TEAMMATE not TEAM.

I’m surprised that someone as good as Gelbs went for the low hanging fruit.

But Lopez should still be gone.
He apparently said both. And he was not wrong. But I agree he should be gone. No need to inject toxicity into a poor performance. The manager, coaches and players need to look in the mirror and work harder.

Mets =

200w.gif

Since we’re talking “worst” here, of course the worst poster chimes in.
Show some class Pete. Mets have embarrassed themselves this season. Despite having the highest payroll they are a league wide embarrassment and laughing stock.

Not saying Lopez is right for throwing his glove, and cussing, and whatever. I do think he said worst team mate first, then followed up with worst team on a follow up which, I think he's not too far off from, but that was not his original intent.

But a guy showing frustration while playing on a garbage team? Is that so bad? Is this so far off from a Paul ONeil tirade(who would go nuts while playing for a good team)?

What if this wakes the team up, while he is stuck in the minors? That would seem weird.

He apparently said both. And he was not wrong. But I agree he should be gone. No need to inject toxicity into a poor performance. The manager, coaches and players need to look in the mirror and work harder.

I mention it just above but is it toxicity? Or is it a wake up call?

I think the professional thing to do is toe the line after the manager says it's unacceptable, but he didn't, and by not doing so it so I think it got out of his control going places he didn't intend it to.

Odd situation, and I don't really fault him.

Reactions: Knight Shift
May 29 Mets Farm Report (Top 30 Prospects per MLB Pipeline)

AVG/OPS or E.R.A (W-L) (S)

1. Jett Williams SS/CF (AA Binghamton) - Injured
  2. Drew Gilbert OF (AAA Syracuse) - Injured
  3. Christian Scott RHP (NY Mets) - DNP
  4. Ryan Clifford OF/1B (AA Binghamton) - 0/1, BB, .140/.539
  5. Luisangel Acuna SS/2B (AAA Syracuse) - 1/3, 2 R, BB, SB(19), .260/.681
  6. Ronny Mauricio 2B/SS/OF (NY Mets) - Injured; Out for Season
  7. Colin Houck SS (Low A St. Lucie) - 3/4, 2B(8), R, 2 RBI, BB, K, .194/.584
  8. Marco Vargas INF (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  9. Kevin Parada C (AA Binghamton) - 0/3, 2 K, .212/.670
  10. Blade Tidwell RHP (AAA Syracuse) - 6.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 4 BB, 2 K, 0 HR, 1.54
  11. Mike Vasil RHP (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  12. Jeremy Rodriguez SS (Rookie FCL Mets) - 1/5, K, .354/.902
  13. Brandon Sproat RHP (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  14. Dominic Hamel RHP (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  15. Jacob Reimer 3B/1B (High A Brooklyn) - Injured
  16. Alex Ramirez OF (AA Binghamton) - 0/2, BB, K, .244/.664
  17. Yovanny Rodriguez C (Extended Spring Training) - N/A
  18. Tyler Stuart RHP (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  19. Nolan McLean RHP/DH (AA Binghamton) - 5.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, 0 HR, 5.00
  20. Jonah Tong RHP (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  21. Ronald Hernandez C/1B (Low A St. Lucie) - 4/5, 2 R, K, .287/.758
  22. Jesus Baez SS/2B (Low A St. Lucie) - 1/5, 2 K, .282/.800
  23. Calvin Ziegler RHP (High A Brooklyn) - Injured; TJS Out for Season
  24. Wilfredo Lara OF/3B (High A Brooklyn) - 2/2, R, RBI, BB, .203/.571
  25. Boston Baro SS/3B (Low A St. Lucie) - 0/4, R, BB, K, .258/.703
  26. Nick Morabito OF (High A Brooklyn) - 1/5, HR(2), R, RBI, 2 K, .328/.886
  27. Raimon Gomez RHP (High A Brooklyn) - Injured
  28. Joander Suarez RHP (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  29. Saul Garcia RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  30. Rhylan Thomas OF (AAA Syracuse) - 1/4, R, .233/.676
Honorable Mention

• Douglas Orellana (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  • Christopher Suero 1B/C (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  • Kade Morris RHP (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  • Jeffry Rosa OF (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  • Jack Wenninger RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  • Joel Diaz RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - 3.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 6 K, 2 HR, 3.00
  • Willy Fanas OF (Low A St. Lucie) - 0/3, BB, 2 K, .250/.766
  • A.J. Ewing 2B/CF (Rookie FCL Mets) - 1/3, HR(4), R, RBI, 2 BB, .231/.916
  • Jake Zitella 1B (Rookie FCL Mets) - 1/4, K, .321/.799
  • Branny De Oleo SS (Rookie FCL Mets) - 1/4, 2 K, .259/.650
  • Simon Juan OF (Rookie FCL Mets) - 0/4, BB, 3 K, .234/.691

Reactions: RU-05
I don’t even know what to say about these Mets anymore. I don’t remember those 79-81 teams well since I was like 8. But they were supposed to suck in those Doug Flynn/ Alex Trevino years.

I DO remember the 91-92 Vince Coleman Years. That squad and the current squad were supposed to compete but both suck. And both squads are full of disgraced 🫏 holes.

Reactions: Doctor Worm

I think the professional thing to do is toe the line after the manager says it's unacceptable, but he didn't, and by not doing so it so I think it got out of his control going places he didn't intend it to.

Absolutely correct about toeing the line. I'm a big fan of the leadership principles espoused by ex Navy Seal Jocko Willink. The core principle is extreme owernship--it's ownership from the top down in an organization. Problems and mistakes happen, but each person must take ownership and not deflect onto others. You have a weak link --well guess what, the leaders need to address that, but others on the team need to compensate for it.

Above all else, when you screw up, own it, take a mea culpa and don't deflect. "I did the wrong thing. I was wrong, and I apologize to my teammates, the manager and the organization. My actions were unacceptable." What Lopez did was deflect.

I don’t quite get the DFA. He’s not happy, shouldn’t be, and showed it badly. If he wasn’t frustrated, I’d be more worried. I think management is looking to give the team a kick in the pants, but I’m not sure that this is the way.

Absolutely correct about toeing the line. I'm a big fan of the leadership principles espoused by ex Navy Seal Jocko Willink. The core principle is extreme owernship--it's ownership from the top down in an organization. Problems and mistakes happen, but each person must take ownership and not deflect onto others. You have a weak link --well guess what, the leaders need to address that, but others on the team need to compensate for it.

Above all else, when you screw up, own it, take a mea culpa and don't deflect. "I did the wrong thing. I was wrong, and I apologize to my teammates, the manager and the organization. My actions were unacceptable." What Lopez did was deflect.
Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF by The Academy Awards

See I don't think he deflected though. He took it on himself.

What he didn't do though was put the fire out. He put more gas on it.

Question is does this team need to put the fire out, or does it need some fire?

Now the team did what it had to do, Lopez went outside the lines, and then refused the opportunity to get back within the lines, but I kind of see what Lopez did as a positive.

See I don't think he deflected though. He took it on himself.

What he didn't do though was put the fire out. He put more gas on it.

Question is does this team need to put the fire out, or does it need some fire?

Now the team did what it had to do, Lopez went outside the lines, and then refused the opportunity to get back within the lines, but I kind of see what Lopez did as a positive.
I agree that he took it on himself, but he compensated by saying the team sucks. So, to me that is deflection. Funny thing, this morning I find myself in a similar situation with a work issue. I need to explain to the boss that I messed up. But the mess up came from the top down. I'm certainly not going to say that this place has been f'd up for years, and I'm just part of the problem. I'm going to own my mistake, point to where it originated and say that I should have caught it much earlier. And I want to make it right.

Different people have different feelings on these types of issues, and that's OK. Depending on a person's perspective, they may feel the other way is "wrong," and maybe that's not the best way to look at it. One positive on what Lopez did is he shined a bright light on the dumpster fire. But it has been in plain view for a while now.

Reactions: RU-05
May 29 Mets Farm Report (Top 30 Prospects per MLB Pipeline)

AVG/OPS or E.R.A (W-L) (S)

1. Jett Williams SS/CF (AA Binghamton) - Injured
  2. Drew Gilbert OF (AAA Syracuse) - Injured
  3. Christian Scott RHP (NY Mets) - DNP
  4. Ryan Clifford OF/1B (AA Binghamton) - 0/1, BB, .140/.539
  5. Luisangel Acuna SS/2B (AAA Syracuse) - 1/3, 2 R, BB, SB(19), .260/.681
  6. Ronny Mauricio 2B/SS/OF (NY Mets) - Injured; Out for Season
  7. Colin Houck SS (Low A St. Lucie) - 3/4, 2B(8), R, 2 RBI, BB, K, .194/.584
  8. Marco Vargas INF (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  9. Kevin Parada C (AA Binghamton) - 0/3, 2 K, .212/.670
  10. Blade Tidwell RHP (AAA Syracuse) - 6.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 4 BB, 2 K, 0 HR, 1.54
  11. Mike Vasil RHP (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  12. Jeremy Rodriguez SS (Rookie FCL Mets) - 1/5, K, .354/.902
  13. Brandon Sproat RHP (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  14. Dominic Hamel RHP (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  15. Jacob Reimer 3B/1B (High A Brooklyn) - Injured
  16. Alex Ramirez OF (AA Binghamton) - 0/2, BB, K, .244/.664
  17. Yovanny Rodriguez C (Extended Spring Training) - N/A
  18. Tyler Stuart RHP (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  19. Nolan McLean RHP/DH (AA Binghamton) - 5.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, 0 HR, 5.00
  20. Jonah Tong RHP (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  21. Ronald Hernandez C/1B (Low A St. Lucie) - 4/5, 2 R, K, .287/.758
  22. Jesus Baez SS/2B (Low A St. Lucie) - 1/5, 2 K, .282/.800
  23. Calvin Ziegler RHP (High A Brooklyn) - Injured; TJS Out for Season
  24. Wilfredo Lara OF/3B (High A Brooklyn) - 2/2, R, RBI, BB, .203/.571
  25. Boston Baro SS/3B (Low A St. Lucie) - 0/4, R, BB, K, .258/.703
  26. Nick Morabito OF (High A Brooklyn) - 1/5, HR(2), R, RBI, 2 K, .328/.886
  27. Raimon Gomez RHP (High A Brooklyn) - Injured
  28. Joander Suarez RHP (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  29. Saul Garcia RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  30. Rhylan Thomas OF (AAA Syracuse) - 1/4, R, .233/.676
Honorable Mention

• Douglas Orellana (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  • Christopher Suero 1B/C (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  • Kade Morris RHP (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  • Jeffry Rosa OF (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  • Jack Wenninger RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  • Joel Diaz RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - 3.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 6 K, 2 HR, 3.00
  • Willy Fanas OF (Low A St. Lucie) - 0/3, BB, 2 K, .250/.766
  • A.J. Ewing 2B/CF (Rookie FCL Mets) - 1/3, HR(4), R, RBI, 2 BB, .231/.916
  • Jake Zitella 1B (Rookie FCL Mets) - 1/4, K, .321/.799
  • Branny De Oleo SS (Rookie FCL Mets) - 1/4, 2 K, .259/.650
  • Simon Juan OF (Rookie FCL Mets) - 0/4, BB, 3 K, .234/.691
Love that Acuna starting to find his way. Also Tidwell can’t get here soon enough.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
I don’t even know what to say about these Mets anymore. I don’t remember those 79-81 teams well since I was like 8. But they were supposed to suck in those Doug Flynn/ Alex Trevino years.

I DO remember the 91-92 Vince Coleman Years. That squad and the current squad were supposed to compete but both suck. And both squads are full of disgraced 🫏 holes.
Yeah, this team has that "Worst Team Money Could Buy" vibe. The Mets have had some teams that were bad, but very easy to root for. This one is not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT