ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

This should be interesting…

Either no one will give a crap about him or his family…

Or The Mets is going to have its soul dragged out of its already dead carcus for cutting a player with language issues, going through a mental health situation, while his child is awaiting a life saving transplant.
The Mets have been de-souled, maybe since Mrs. Payson died in 1975 or so. Even Frank Cashen couldn't lift whatever curse is on the franchise permanently. It only got worse when the Wilpons were running the show full time and got dragged down in Madoff's mess.

Constant underachievers, though this team has a 1991/"Worst Team Money Could Buy" feel toward them.

This should be interesting…

Either no one will give a crap about him or his family…

Or The Mets is going to have its soul dragged out of its already dead carcus for cutting a player with language issues, going through a mental health situation, while his child is awaiting a life saving transplant.
Sorry, but only the Mets can go this Mets. Just wow.

Reactions: superfan01
The Mets have been de-souled, maybe since Mrs. Payson died in 1975 or so. Even Frank Cashen couldn't lift whatever curse is on the franchise permanently. It only got worse when the Wilpons were running the show full time and got dragged down in Madoff's mess.

Constant underachievers, though this team has a 1991/"Worst Team Money Could Buy" feel toward them.
I thought the Mets had a pretty good run under Cashen and Davey Johnson.

Reactions: yesrutgers01

The Wilpons were better than this right now. Who would have thought Uncle Steve would take the team backwards?

Consider that those 1984-1990 teams would have been division champs two years and wildcards the other five. That’s pretty good.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
I’ve looked before

Pretty sure one year Mets had second best record in league and missed playoffs

Also one year Mets and Yankees had 3rd and 4th best records and missed playoffs. Edit …1985

85 and 87 were 2 years they would’ve had a chance

Consider that those 1984-1990 teams would have been division champs two years and wildcards the other five. That’s pretty good.
I’ve looked before

Pretty sure one year Mets had second best record in league and missed playoffs

Also one year Mets and Yankees had 3rd and 4th best records and missed playoffs. Edit …1985

85 and 87 were 2 years they would’ve had a chance
Tough… Those were the rules back then and they were good enough to win the NL East in 84, 85, 87, maybe 89 but didn’t.

Oh well.

They should’ve won two more World Series if they did drink and sniffed those rings up their noses.
While they did those things- if there was a wildcard back in those days- like there is now- good chance of at least 1 or 2 more rings- They had a string of very good years that they didnt make the playoffs. it isn't like they fell to a .500 team during those years

Dusty Baker Win GIF by MLB

Guess the number of wins.
My guess- 30 max.
Used to make watching the games a priority in my evenings or weekends, or at least listening to the radio broadcast. Will check the scores and this thread, but otherwise, I have tuned out for the season.
Only need 29 more. I like those odds.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
Only need 29 more. I like those odds.
Was just going to post-- Stop the presses, the Mets won tonight!!! Did not realize there was a game, but did my evening MLB score check and saw the news.

And who is this phenom Danny Young, pitching in relief? 2-0 and 0.00 ERA!!!!! Forever Young!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While they did those things- if there was a wildcard back in those days- like there is now- good chance of at least 1 or 2 more rings- They had a string of very good years that they didnt make the playoffs. it isn't like they fell to a .500 team during those years
87 was very disappointing with Gooden suspension / countless injuries etc and then the Pendleton homer. Ugh. Still kills me. What could’ve been!

88 just as disappointing given blowing Game 4 vs Dodgers. Another game of countless heartaches ! What could’ve been in a classic WS Vs Oakland and the Bash Brothers !

It ended in 89. Keith and Carter got old.

Unfortunately the hyped kids ( Jefferies / Madagan / Miller) didn’t develop as planned.

And oh yeah - the partying / booze and drugs. Ugh.

Shame no wild card in those days!

Fun era of Mets baseball ⚾️!

May 30 Mets Farm Report (Top 30 Prospects per MLB Pipeline)

AVG/OPS or E.R.A (W-L) (S)

1. Jett Williams SS/CF (AA Binghamton) - Injured
  2. Drew Gilbert OF (AAA Syracuse) - Injured
  3. Christian Scott RHP (NY Mets) - 5.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 4 K, 0 HR, 3.90
  4. Ryan Clifford OF/1B (AA Binghamton) - 1/3, 2B(4), R, 2 RBI, BB, K, .152/.582
  5. Luisangel Acuna SS/2B (AAA Syracuse) - 0/4, .255/.669
  6. Ronny Mauricio 2B/SS/OF (NY Mets) - Injured; Out for Season
  7. Colin Houck SS (Low A St. Lucie) - 1/5, K, SB(5), .194/.578
  8. Marco Vargas INF (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  9. Kevin Parada C (AA Binghamton) - 1/4, 2B(7), R, 2 K, .213/.672
  10. Blade Tidwell RHP (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  11. Mike Vasil RHP (AAA Syracuse) - 5.1 IP, 3 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, 0 HR, 7.59
  12. Jeremy Rodriguez SS (Rookie FCL Mets) - 2/4, HR(2), R, RBI, BB, .362/.972
  13. Brandon Sproat RHP (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  14. Dominic Hamel RHP (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  15. Jacob Reimer 3B/1B (High A Brooklyn) - Injured
  16. Alex Ramirez OF (AA Binghamton) - 1/5, 2B(9), 2 K, .242/.663
  17. Yovanny Rodriguez C (Extended Spring Training) - N/A
  18. Tyler Stuart RHP (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  19. Nolan McLean RHP/DH (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  20. Jonah Tong RHP (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  21. Ronald Hernandez C/1B (Low A St. Lucie) - 2/5, HR(2), R, RBI, K, .291/.779
  22. Jesus Baez SS/2B (Low A St. Lucie) - 0/4, BB, K, SB(8), .276/.786
  23. Calvin Ziegler RHP (High A Brooklyn) - Injured; TJS Out for Season
  24. Wilfredo Lara OF/3B (High A Brooklyn) - 0/3, 2 R, 2 BB, .198/.569
  25. Boston Baro SS/3B (Low A St. Lucie) - 1/3, HR(1), R, 2 RBI, 2 BB, 2 K, .261/.746
  26. Nick Morabito OF (High A Brooklyn) - 2/4, RBI, BB, SB(13), .338/.913
  27. Raimon Gomez RHP (High A Brooklyn) - Injured
  28. Joander Suarez RHP (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  29. Saul Garcia RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  30. Rhylan Thomas OF (AAA Syracuse) - 2/4, 2 R, .265/.712
Honorable Mention

• Douglas Orellana (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  • Christopher Suero 1B/C (High A Brooklyn) - 0/2, 3 R, 3 BB, K, SB(3), .204/.641
  • Kade Morris RHP (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  • Jeffry Rosa OF (Low A St. Lucie) - 2/5, HR(3), R, RBI, 2 K, .203/.670
  • Jack Wenninger RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - 7.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 12 K, 2 HR, 4.87
  • Joel Diaz RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  • Willy Fanas OF (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  • A.J. Ewing 2B/CF (Rookie FCL Mets) - 2/5, HR(5), 2 R, RBI, K, SB(5), .246/.958
  • Jake Zitella 1B (Rookie FCL Mets) - 1/2, 2 BB, .328/.832
  • Branny De Oleo SS (Rookie FCL Mets) - 0/5, 2 K, .237/.597
  • Simon Juan OF (Rookie FCL Mets) - DNP

87 was very disappointing with Gooden suspension / countless injuries etc and then the Pendleton homer. . . .
I was at the Pendleton game. Ooof!

To counteract it, I was at the '86 NL East clincher, and I was one of those guys on the field after the win that Pete Flynn (understandably) was so angry with the next day on the news.

As a matter of fact, if you go back and look at the schedule, the weekend series before NL East clincher was in Philly against the second-place Phillies, and the Mets had a magic number of only 2. The Mets needed to win only 1 of those 3 games to clinch. They lost all three. I went to all three games. Ugh. The Phillies went on to win their next two games against other teams on Monday and Tuesday, while the Mets won only once. So the magic number was 1 on September 17, 1986. And so I went to the game with friends. That was a great night.

Last edited:
Flurry of moves. Scott will be back up but a lot of off days coming up with the London trip and they want to keep him on regular turn.

Flurry of moves. Scott will be back up but a lot of off days coming up with the London trip and they want to keep him on regular turn.

O.N. DFA- snuck that in but sounds like Alvarez is almost ready. And as much as many fans don’t like Nido- he just seems to keep falling into that number 2 position

O.N. DFA- snuck that in but sounds like Alvarez is almost ready. And as much as many fans don’t like Nido- he just seems to keep falling into that number 2 position
Narvaez has been brutal so it makes sense. Nido is fine as a #2 and is hitting the ball hard this season. The only thing I didn't get was adding the C from the Yanks and not just waiting for Alvy to be back next week before making the DFA but doesn't really matter much.

Narvaez has been brutal so it makes sense. Nido is fine as a #2 and is hitting the ball hard this season. The only thing I didn't get was adding the C from the Yanks and not just waiting for Alvy to be back next week before making the DFA but doesn't really matter much.
Maybe Torrens is still optionable, whereas Narvaez is not?

Reactions: Zak57
It looks like the Mets may have found the highest paid leadoff hitter. Now if only Nimmo could figure out not hitting lead off

Reed Garrett has certainly come back to earth.
Why are you always so negative? 😀 😂 . . . .Kidding.

Think they need to do an exorcist in the bullpen. The bullpen is snakebitten.
In fairness, Garrett had one really crap outing on May 24 vs. San Francisco. Tonight was shaky, but not horrific.

Are the Phillies going to go on a losing streak?

For what it’s worth. an article a couple of days ago (NY Post, I think) said that advance stats suggest that Nimmo and Lindor have been two of the five unluckiest hitters in MLB given numbers vs how they’ve been hitting the ball.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Lindor's BABIP is very low and his metrics are the same or better than the previous few years.

Two guys with a podcast on Mets prospects. Found it interesting enough:

Really hope BB is a not just a “AAAA” player.

He really looks bad on big league curve balls.
I hoped for an Alec Bohm trajectory , Bret is not even close to that

Reed Garrett has certainly come back to earth.

Why are you always so negative? 😀 😂 . . . .Kidding.

Think they need to do an exorcist in the bullpen. The bullpen is snakebitten.
In fairness, Garrett had one really crap outing on May 24 vs. San Francisco. Tonight was shaky, but not horrific.

Are the Phillies going to go on a losing streak?
Blame me!

d4f7d9e7-1fb6-41e8-a6a9-a5a8d0ffdcec_text.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT