ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

Since May 1, Mets have lost six games in which they have led after eight innings. No other team has lost more than two.

Can someone explain to me the lineup? Why do you have two players, the only real RBI producers, batting 1st and 2nd? I know it's a flawed team, but why make it worse?

Can someone explain to me the lineup? Why do you have two players, the only real RBI producers, batting 1st and 2nd? I know it's a flawed team, but why make it worse?
That's the analytics nowadays. Dodgers bat Betts and Ohtani 1-2. Not a new thing. The best power hitter in the 69 Mets was their leadoff hitter, Tommy Agee.

That's the analytics nowadays. Dodgers bat Betts and Ohtani 1-2. Not a new thing. The best power hitter in the 69 Mets was their leadoff hitter, Tommy Agee.
Analytics has removed all fun from the game. No more chess matches taking place or going with your gut. Why not drop real people and go with robots? 😠

People make decisions all the time. The analytics boogeyman is just that and there's a constant shift in viewing the game. It's always been like that.

As for the hitters you want your best hitters getting the most ABs so you bat them earlier in the lineup.

People make decisions all the time. The analytics boogeyman is just that and there's a constant shift in viewing the game. It's always been like that.

As for the hitters you want your best hitters getting the most ABs so you bat them earlier in the lineup.
Are Lindor and Alonso the best hitters?
By batting average, it would seem Vientos and Martinez should be #1, #2?

JD is too slow so you still want him behind the others. There's still a method to it.

Sproat domination tonight.

Pete is not exactly a rabbit on the basepaths, but I will take your word for it.

Despite the losses, the Mets put up 19 runs in 3 games, 2 less than the previous 8 games.
Now, time for some pitching and they might be a complete team?

• Haha
Reactions: superfan01
As a Yankees fan I can attest to the fact that the fun has in no way been removed from the game.
Losing, however, is no fun.
Wait,what? You and a couple of "diehards" never stop bitching about Cashman and his analytic binder he hands off to Boone. Oh,let's not forget how shitting on Stanton seems to be a right of passage for Yankees fans. Maybe Torres has taken up that banner for you Johnny come lately twist in the wind fans,lol.

Wait,what? You and a couple of "diehards" never stop bitching about Cashman and his analytic binder he hands off to Boone. Oh,let's not forget how shitting on Stanton seems to be a right of passage for Yankees fans. Maybe Torres has taken up that banner for you Johnny come lately twist in the wind fans,lol.
Wow. You mustn't have seen much of the 2024 version of Gleyber.
Also, I haven't been one of the bitchers about analytics.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
harrison ford film GIF

Mets up a few runs late in the game. Nats are salavating

Ready for an insane stat?

The Mets have played 10 extra inning games this year. That's 10 tenth innings. That's 10 free runners in those 10 tenth innings.

Know how many of those free runners have scored? Exactly one. And that one scored on an error!

Somehow the Mets have managed to go 3-7 in those games, with all three wins coming in the 11th.

The Mets have played 10 extra inning games this year. That's 10 tenth innings. That's 10 free runners in those 10 tenth innings.

Know how many of those free runners have scored? Exactly one. And that one scored on an error!

Somehow the Mets have managed to go 3-7 in those games, with all three wins coming in the 11th.
Wow. That’s almost impossible! Sad as well. !

Between this and the blown game after the 8th stat you have to shake your head. Bad baseball with a mix of bad luck. The team isn't as bad as the record though so hopefully they can get to a few games under .500/.500 by the ASB and go from there.

Brooklyn threw a combined no-hitter last night with Francisco Alvarez catching so that's cool.

The DSL season started on Monday. Yovanny Rodriguez is our big bonus baby from last year playing C. I'll add him but Daiverson Gutierrez is the big bonus baby from 2 years ago and is repeating DSL which is normal. For 2025 the Mets will be signing what most people consider the top IFA Elian Pena. That deal is going to be for over $5 million and by far our largest IFA bonus baby.

June 4 Mets Farm Report (Top 30 Prospects per MLB Pipeline)

AVG/OPS or E.R.A (W-L) (S)

1. Jett Williams SS/CF (AA Binghamton) - Injured
  2. Drew Gilbert OF (AAA Syracuse) - Injured
  3. Christian Scott RHP (AAA Syracuse) - PPD
  4. Ryan Clifford OF/1B (AA Binghamton) - 0/3, BB, K, .145/.626
  5. Luisangel Acuna SS/2B (AAA Syracuse) - PPD
  6. Ronny Mauricio 2B/SS/OF (NY Mets) - Injured; Out for Season
  7. Colin Houck SS (Low A St. Lucie) - 2/3, 3B(4), R, 2 RBI, BB, .211/.643
  8. Marco Vargas INF (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  9. Kevin Parada C (AA Binghamton) - 0/3, BB, K, .200/.638
  10. Blade Tidwell RHP (AAA Syracuse) - PPD
  11. Mike Vasil RHP (AAA Syracuse) - PPD
  12. Jeremy Rodriguez SS (Rookie FCL Mets) - 0/4, .337/.915
  13. Brandon Sproat RHP (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  14. Dominic Hamel RHP (AAA Syracuse) - PPD
  15. Jacob Reimer 3B/1B (High A Brooklyn) - Injured
  16. Alex Ramirez OF (AA Binghamton) - 1/4, .247/.665
  17. Yovanny Rodriguez C (DSL Mets Orange) - 0/3, RBI, BB, K, .000/.125
  18. Tyler Stuart RHP (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  19. Nolan McLean RHP/DH (AA Binghamton) - 5.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 0 BB, 8 K, 1 HR, 5.79
  20. Jonah Tong RHP (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  21. Ronald Hernandez C/1B (Low A St. Lucie) - 1/4, R, 2 K, .283/.756
  22. Jesus Baez SS/2B (Low A St. Lucie) - 1/3, HR(7), R, 2 RBI, .267/.773
  23. Calvin Ziegler RHP (High A Brooklyn) - Injured; TJS Out for Season
  24. Wilfredo Lara OF/3B (High A Brooklyn) - 0/3, BB, K, .206/.595
  25. Boston Baro SS/3B (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  26. Nick Morabito OF (High A Brooklyn) - 1/4, .302/.825
  27. Raimon Gomez RHP (High A Brooklyn) - Injured
  28. Joander Suarez RHP (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  29. Saul Garcia RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  30. Rhylan Thomas OF (AAA Syracuse) - PPD
Honorable Mention

• Douglas Orellana (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  • Kade Morris RHP (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  • Jeffry Rosa OF (Low A St. Lucie) - 0/3, R, 2 K, .182/.620
  • Jack Wenninger RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  • Joel Diaz RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  • Willy Fanas OF (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  • A.J. Ewing 2B/CF (Low A St. Lucie) - 0/2, R, 2 BB, .000/.500
  • Jake Zitella 1B (Rookie FCL Mets) - 0/4, .310/.792
  • Branny De Oleo SS (Rookie FCL Mets) - DNP
  • Simon Juan OF (Rookie FCL Mets) - 1/2, HR(4), R, RBI, 2 BB, .270/.843

Brooklyn threw a combined no-hitter last night with Francisco Alvarez catching so that's cool.

The DSL season started on Monday. Yovanny Rodriguez is our big bonus baby from last year playing C. I'll add him but Daiverson Gutierrez is the big bonus baby from 2 years ago and is repeating DSL which is normal. For 2025 the Mets will be signing what most people consider the top IFA Elian Pena. That deal is going to be for over $5 million and by far our largest IFA bonus baby.

June 4 Mets Farm Report (Top 30 Prospects per MLB Pipeline)

AVG/OPS or E.R.A (W-L) (S)

1. Jett Williams SS/CF (AA Binghamton) - Injured
  2. Drew Gilbert OF (AAA Syracuse) - Injured
  3. Christian Scott RHP (AAA Syracuse) - PPD
  4. Ryan Clifford OF/1B (AA Binghamton) - 0/3, BB, K, .145/.626
  5. Luisangel Acuna SS/2B (AAA Syracuse) - PPD
  6. Ronny Mauricio 2B/SS/OF (NY Mets) - Injured; Out for Season
  7. Colin Houck SS (Low A St. Lucie) - 2/3, 3B(4), R, 2 RBI, BB, .211/.643
  8. Marco Vargas INF (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  9. Kevin Parada C (AA Binghamton) - 0/3, BB, K, .200/.638
  10. Blade Tidwell RHP (AAA Syracuse) - PPD
  11. Mike Vasil RHP (AAA Syracuse) - PPD
  12. Jeremy Rodriguez SS (Rookie FCL Mets) - 0/4, .337/.915
  13. Brandon Sproat RHP (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  14. Dominic Hamel RHP (AAA Syracuse) - PPD
  15. Jacob Reimer 3B/1B (High A Brooklyn) - Injured
  16. Alex Ramirez OF (AA Binghamton) - 1/4, .247/.665
  17. Yovanny Rodriguez C (DSL Mets Orange) - 0/3, RBI, BB, K, .000/.125
  18. Tyler Stuart RHP (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  19. Nolan McLean RHP/DH (AA Binghamton) - 5.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 0 BB, 8 K, 1 HR, 5.79
  20. Jonah Tong RHP (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  21. Ronald Hernandez C/1B (Low A St. Lucie) - 1/4, R, 2 K, .283/.756
  22. Jesus Baez SS/2B (Low A St. Lucie) - 1/3, HR(7), R, 2 RBI, .267/.773
  23. Calvin Ziegler RHP (High A Brooklyn) - Injured; TJS Out for Season
  24. Wilfredo Lara OF/3B (High A Brooklyn) - 0/3, BB, K, .206/.595
  25. Boston Baro SS/3B (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  26. Nick Morabito OF (High A Brooklyn) - 1/4, .302/.825
  27. Raimon Gomez RHP (High A Brooklyn) - Injured
  28. Joander Suarez RHP (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  29. Saul Garcia RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  30. Rhylan Thomas OF (AAA Syracuse) - PPD
Honorable Mention

• Douglas Orellana (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  • Kade Morris RHP (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  • Jeffry Rosa OF (Low A St. Lucie) - 0/3, R, 2 K, .182/.620
  • Jack Wenninger RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  • Joel Diaz RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  • Willy Fanas OF (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  • A.J. Ewing 2B/CF (Low A St. Lucie) - 0/2, R, 2 BB, .000/.500
  • Jake Zitella 1B (Rookie FCL Mets) - 0/4, .310/.792
  • Branny De Oleo SS (Rookie FCL Mets) - DNP
  • Simon Juan OF (Rookie FCL Mets) - 1/2, HR(4), R, RBI, 2 BB, .270/.843
Boy, with injuries and performances that top ten is brutal.

Reactions: rubaseball78
Yup not great. Houck is starting to come on a little the last 2 weeks so hopefully he's turning a corner but far away. Vargas has also been hurt on and off but he's doing well when on the field. I'm not too concerned though as we have a lot of young guys coming on and prospect development is not fully linear. My huge concern besides injuries which we can't help is Parada. Stock super down on him. Scott and Tidwell have been good to very good.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
With Willis comment just quickly if I had to take shares in each top 30 guy per Pipeline. Stock Up Down Even. Lots of guys not in this top 30 with stock up as well so overall I wish the injured guys were out there but overall I'd say more good than bad this year but unfortunately it's taking place at the lower levels so hard to get excited which I understand. I can't knock the injured guys for being hurt especially when it's their first injury in pro ball

1. Jett Williams SS/CF (AA Binghamton) - Even
  2. Drew Gilbert OF (AAA Syracuse) - Even
  3. Christian Scott RHP (AAA Syracuse) - Slightly Up
  4. Ryan Clifford OF/1B (AA Binghamton) - Slightly Down
  5. Luisangel Acuna SS/2B (AAA Syracuse) - Slightly Down
  6. Ronny Mauricio 2B/SS/OF (NY Mets) - Even
  7. Colin Houck SS (Low A St. Lucie) - Even
  8. Marco Vargas INF (Low A St. Lucie) - Even
  9. Kevin Parada C (AA Binghamton) - Down
  10. Blade Tidwell RHP (AAA Syracuse) - Slightly Up
  11. Mike Vasil RHP (AAA Syracuse) - Down
  12. Jeremy Rodriguez SS (Rookie FCL Mets) - Up
  13. Brandon Sproat RHP (AA Binghamton) - Up
  14. Dominic Hamel RHP (AAA Syracuse) - Down
  15. Jacob Reimer 3B/1B (High A Brooklyn) - Even
  16. Alex Ramirez OF (AA Binghamton) - Even
  17. Yovanny Rodriguez C (DSL Mets Orange) - Even
  18. Tyler Stuart RHP (AA Binghamton) - Even
  19. Nolan McLean RHP/DH (AA Binghamton) - Slightly Up
  20. Jonah Tong RHP (High A Brooklyn) - Up
  21. Ronald Hernandez C/1B (Low A St. Lucie) - Even
  22. Jesus Baez SS/2B (Low A St. Lucie) - Up
  23. Calvin Ziegler RHP (High A Brooklyn) - Down
  24. Wilfredo Lara OF/3B (High A Brooklyn) - Down
  25. Boston Baro SS/3B (Low A St. Lucie) - Up
  26. Nick Morabito OF (High A Brooklyn) - Up
  27. Raimon Gomez RHP (High A Brooklyn) - Even
  28. Joander Suarez RHP (AA Binghamton) - Even
  29. Saul Garcia RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - Down
  30. Rhylan Thomas OF (AAA Syracuse) - Up

Reactions: Doctor Worm
. . . . I'm not too concerned though as we have a lot of young guys coming on and prospect development is not fully linear. . . .
Yes, that may be so. But you often hear that from teams that have holes at the tope of their system. "Oh, you should see this young kid, we really like him." Junior prospects, by definition, have less of a record and more variance in how they pan out.

That said, the Mets top 10 has guys like Jett, Clifford and Mauricio who are hurt. I'm not sure there's a top major leaguer in that group, but certainly potential good players that could start on a winning team.

Its just that, at least to me, this year has suggested that the Mets still have a lot of work left to improve the talent in the system. I'm encouraged, though, that Stearns has had little to nothing to do with what's there right now.

Yes, that may be so. But you often hear that from teams that have holes at the tope of their system. "Oh, you should see this young kid, we really like him." Junior prospects, by definition, have less of a record and more variance in how they pan out.

That said, the Mets top 10 has guys like Jett, Clifford and Mauricio who are hurt. I'm not sure there's a top major leaguer in that group, but certainly potential good players that could start on a winning team.

Its just that, at least to me, this year has suggested that the Mets still have a lot of work left to improve the talent in the system. I'm encouraged, though, that Stearns has had little to nothing to do with what's there right now.
That's all very fair. I'd say too that there are only so many uber prospects out there that have that sky high upside who become top MLB players. They are few and far between for all teams not just the Mets. Also you have guys like Judge and Soto who were highly thought of but no one ever thought they would turn into the players they did. We can't predict how actual individuals will perform and get better or worse.

Also this is where Cohen money will help the most. Once Stearns gets this where he wants we can hopefully buy some of the above average players and we use the system to supplement them. We don't want to have to dip into the FA market for everything. Saving $10 million here $15 million there on overpays will cripple just as much as spending $30 million on the wrong high priced FA

BA just added Tidwell and Sproat to their top 100. Tidwell at 94 and Sproat at 97.

Full Mets list.

#27 Scott
#32 Williams
#74 Gilbert
#76 Mauricio
#94 Tidwell
#97 Sproat

With Willis comment just quickly if I had to take shares in each top 30 guy per Pipeline. Stock Up Down Even. Lots of guys not in this top 30 with stock up as well so overall I wish the injured guys were out there but overall I'd say more good than bad this year but unfortunately it's taking place at the lower levels so hard to get excited which I understand. I can't knock the injured guys for being hurt especially when it's their first injury in pro ball

1. Jett Williams SS/CF (AA Binghamton) - Even
  2. Drew Gilbert OF (AAA Syracuse) - Even
  3. Christian Scott RHP (AAA Syracuse) - Slightly Up
  4. Ryan Clifford OF/1B (AA Binghamton) - Slightly Down
  5. Luisangel Acuna SS/2B (AAA Syracuse) - Slightly Down
  6. Ronny Mauricio 2B/SS/OF (NY Mets) - Even
  7. Colin Houck SS (Low A St. Lucie) - Even
  8. Marco Vargas INF (Low A St. Lucie) - Even
  9. Kevin Parada C (AA Binghamton) - Down
  10. Blade Tidwell RHP (AAA Syracuse) - Slightly Up
  11. Mike Vasil RHP (AAA Syracuse) - Down
  12. Jeremy Rodriguez SS (Rookie FCL Mets) - Up
  13. Brandon Sproat RHP (AA Binghamton) - Up
  14. Dominic Hamel RHP (AAA Syracuse) - Down
  15. Jacob Reimer 3B/1B (High A Brooklyn) - Even
  16. Alex Ramirez OF (AA Binghamton) - Even
  17. Yovanny Rodriguez C (DSL Mets Orange) - Even
  18. Tyler Stuart RHP (AA Binghamton) - Even
  19. Nolan McLean RHP/DH (AA Binghamton) - Slightly Up
  20. Jonah Tong RHP (High A Brooklyn) - Up
  21. Ronald Hernandez C/1B (Low A St. Lucie) - Even
  22. Jesus Baez SS/2B (Low A St. Lucie) - Up
  23. Calvin Ziegler RHP (High A Brooklyn) - Down
  24. Wilfredo Lara OF/3B (High A Brooklyn) - Down
  25. Boston Baro SS/3B (Low A St. Lucie) - Up
  26. Nick Morabito OF (High A Brooklyn) - Up
  27. Raimon Gomez RHP (High A Brooklyn) - Even
  28. Joander Suarez RHP (AA Binghamton) - Even
  29. Saul Garcia RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - Down
  30. Rhylan Thomas OF (AAA Syracuse) - Up
That's very generous to Clifford to say only slightly down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT