ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

You may want to look at the back of Torrens’s baseball card before you get too ga ga over 16 at bats.
Kid can throw out runners. Something this team is lacking. Either way he would only be a back up for Alvarez. We will take any positive bat production as we can

willis: Always the downer!
That could be one way to look at it. But there are folks here who also want to constantly cut guys without a viable replacement or consideration of their past performance. I'm not big on that either. It's not so much that I'm always a downer. I am, however, most often just trying to keep my head on the outside of my a**.

He has a .229 career average. That's really bad. Now, it's better than Nido's career average, who has never hit either.

I liked Torrens's double-play yesterday. A lot. And his 2 HRs. But he's going to have to do a hell of a lot more to show that he's anything other than a really bad hitter.

He has a .229 career average. That's really bad. Now, it's better than Nido's career average, who has never hit either.

I liked Torrens's double-play yesterday. A lot. And his 2 HRs. But he's going to have to do a hell of a lot more to show that he's anything other than a really bad hitter.
The MLB average BA for 2024 is .240. Granted, that is historically low. For the last five years, the average BA is about .245.

In that context, .229 for a backup catcher (which has always been a defense-first role) is not bad at all.

It is bad, and you'll feel it if/when he retreats to his norm. At that point, I don't expect you'd be saying that the Mets can trade him for a prospect.

Unless these 16 at bats turn out to be an about face on the other 700 at bats on the back of his card, Torrens will likely be minimal to zero improvement and get us nothing in a trade (if anyone would even trade for him.)

It is bad, and you'll feel it if/when he retreats to his norm. At that point, I don't expect you'd be saying that the Mets can trade him for a prospect.

Unless these 16 at bats turn out to be an about face on the other 700 at bats on the back of his card, Torrens will likely be minimal to zero improvement and get us nothing in a trade (if anyone would even trade for him.)
Why trade him? Can easily see him as a servicable back up. Alvarez will see the majority of work behind the plate

Reactions: Rutgers NJ

How do you come to that conclusion when most years, he had a smattering of at bats?

How do you come to that conclusion when most years, he had a smattering of at bats?

I looked at his career of over 700 ABs and a .229 average (not a subset thereof).

He couldn't even get a deal to play in the majors this season and had spent the year in the minors until the Mets got him, and the Yankees only got cash for him in that trade.

I hope you're right that he can hit, though.

Reactions: Knight Shift

DgR9w7iXUAUiVC0.jpg

Buster Olney’s social media account was hacked. Report of the Mets finalizing a deal of Lindor to Oakland are false.

Yeah Nido was kinda screwed last year when he was DFA'D. His service time was about 15 days short of free agency eligibility when he cleared waivers. So the Mets were able to stash him in AAA until needed. He now has the requisite service time, and will certainly elect free agency if he clears waivers.

How did Nido win a batting title in the minors at any level? I kept waiting to see that guy. I really was rooting for him, oh well, hopefully it works out for all involveled.

LOL yeah 90 games. SSS like I said and there was never any projection in that bat. .344 BABIP explains a lot of it too.

Looks like he was batting .279 with 5 HR's and 6 doubles in 30 AAA games this season. .807 OPS.

Not a ton of minor league games in any recent season but:

.737 OPS in 24 games last year.

.857 in 17 gp's the year prior.

.839 in 19 the year before.

.873 in 97 AA games in 2019.

Add in his 2021 season in the Majors?

I think there is a chance that he can be a decent hitter.

Dragged down by a .163 BA in 56 gp's as a rookie back in 2017. .241 since.

After a strong 2021, he struggled in 2022, batting .225 and a .298 slugging. Seems teams didn't want to give him much of a chance after that.

After a strong 2021, he struggled in 2022, batting .225 and a .298 slugging. Seems teams didn't want to give him much of a chance after that.
The stats seem to invite our cherry picking. Time will tell. Don't know his history in Seattle and why he was not given more time in 2022, and don't care to look it up. We'll see what he has now. Hopefully, it is an upgrade, because the Mets need a lot of upgrades in batting.

Reactions: RU-05
The stats seem to invite our cherry picking. Time will tell. Don't know his history in Seattle and why he was not given more time in 2022, and don't care to look it up. We'll see what he has now. Hopefully, it is an upgrade, because the Mets need a lot of upgrades in batting.

And looking for positives, given the relatively low work rate, he's a young 28 as far as catchers go.

I think there is a lot there to suggest he can hit a little.

Other than his bad stretches he's OK? He was just traded for cash and no personnel.

Here's hoping he's better than that.

Other than his bad stretches he's OK? He was just traded for cash and no personnel.

Here's hoping he's better than that.
If I was pulling out bad stretches from throughout his career you'd have a point. I'm pulling out the first 50 games of his career from 7 years ago. I don't think those games are at all relevant as per the player he is today.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
I read what you wrote.

Data miners always have reasons to support their argument to discard data that doesn’t fit their conclusion. Seems that much of baseball doesn’t agree with you. But here’s hoping he’s good.

I read what you wrote.

Data miners always have reasons to support their argument to discard data that doesn’t fit their conclusion. Seems that much of baseball doesn’t agree with you. But here’s hoping he’s good.
Do you really consider what I did as data mining?

Rookie season, 21 years old, 7 years ago, the clear outlier season in his career.

I think my reasoning for looking at his most recent 650 ab's, while forgiving his initial 120 is pretty sound. Solid minor league stats as well.

2021-23 seasons.

Amongst catchers, minimum 300 plate appearances, Torrens's OPS , in 574 plate appearances, ranked 34th out of 74. His .238 BA ranked 24th.

Nido by comparison in 535 plate appearances was 70th in OPS. 48th in BA.

Torrens struck out 27% of the time which is bottom 3rdish, but Nido was way worse.

So at the very least it looks like a solid upgrade. I think there is a lot there that suggest he could be a pretty decent backup.

Look at Omar Narvaez as per why you don't look at a guys career numbers and say, this guy is good. Career .251 BA. .708 OPS. You have to be more selective then that. He was having a very nice career, but since his solid 2021 season he has been abysmal. Batting .206ish with a .590ish OPS over the last 2+ seasons.

Don't blame the Mets for hoping to find a reclamation project after one bad season, but the last couple seasons are now strongly suggesting he is done.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT