ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Yankees Season Thread

Yankees have called up Jorbit Vivas...who plays mostly 2nd base but can also play 3rd.
IMO overdue, as he's been impressive in the minors.

The Yankees have been the worst team in baseball for at least a month. However, Baltimore hasn't fully taken advantage. Holding just a 2 game lead.
hopefully, get to weather the storm and hope the O's don't get hot. Can't think the Yankees will continue this poorly. Besides no hitting outside of the big two- the pitching has almost a 6 era over the past month. And as you said- it is still only 2 games.

LaMahieu leading off, hitting an impressive .195!

Dat der is sum funny shite.

Amazing how some guys can turn one, good season into a fat contract and then go back to sucking!

Amazing how some guys can turn one, good season into a fat contract and then go back to sucking!
He may not have been great as his best years but not sure what he is going back to. But, not sure what he has left

He has two more years on his contract.
I see nothing to indicate that he's about to turn a corner and become a much-needed productive part of this lineup.
He may be done.
And yet tonight he batted leadoff. Bizarre.

Last edited:
Reactions: MitchLL
Yankees bullpen solid tonight. Cole looked like Cole.
And no way Holmes was throwing at that guy.

Reactions: RUDave_01
Baby steps. Avoided getting swept. Take the next step and win today. Put pressure on Baltimore!
Judge with #33 with one AB and 4 walks!
DJ, if in the lineup, should hit 9th only! 0 for 5!

I think he's done as well. However, you can't not give him his props as he had way more than 1 good season in his career. He's hit .300 5 different seasons and has a .291 lifetime hitting average. Pretty good.

I think he's done as well. However, you can't not give him his props as he had way more than 1 good season in his career. He's hit .300 5 different seasons and has a .291 lifetime hitting average. Pretty good.
Agree he was a great player. An All Star 2x batting champion, one with the Yankees. Great defensive player. I don't remember anyone complaining when he resigned with the Yankees but injuries and age have caught up with him. He was a great teammate anywhere he's been. However, he is a shell of what he used to be. The Yankees didn't help trying to make him a home run hitter, that started his first downfall and it's been hard to watch the last few years.

Reactions: Rhuarc
Agree he was a great player. An All Star 2x batting champion, one with the Yankees. Great defensive player. I don't remember anyone complaining when he resigned with the Yankees but injuries and age have caught up with him. He was a great teammate anywhere he's been. However, he is a shell of what he used to be. The Yankees didn't help trying to make him a home run hitter, that started his first downfall and it's been hard to watch the last few years.

Here are the batting averages of the seven guys in today's lineup not named Judge or Soto:
.238, .230, .230, .220, .245(and sinking daily), 173, .188.
How do you fix THAT ?

Last edited:
Another positive is that tonight Gil looked more like he did in April and May.
If Gil is back...and it looked today like he is...the future looks pretty bright for the Yankees.

Here are the batting averages of the seven guys in today's lineup not named Judge or Soto:
.238, .230, .230, .220, .245(and sinking daily, 173, .188.
How do you fix THAT ?
Better than last year, no?

The Yankees game tomorrow is listed as being at 11:30 a.m. on Roku.
What is Roku ?

The Yankees game tomorrow is listed as being at 11:30 a.m. on Roku.
What is Roku ?
One of a 100 services that provide content for a price of course. Roku outbid Amazon Prime that was used last few years. Add to the madness the game starts at 11:35am!

So, they think I'm gonna pay extra to watch Carlos Rodon pitch ?
I'll spare myself the torture.

Roku Channel is showing it for free. Looks like it is available on the various streaming devices (Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire, Chromecast etc). Nice to get a break from Kay

Reactions: NickKnight 1
I don't now.
I know they talked about upgrading the offense. I guess Soto was it.
They have near a 300 million dollar payroll. What else can they do? They have multiple bad contracts and are going to try to add a 500 million dollar Soto contract at the end of the season. They better hit on some of their young prospects and give them a chance, otherwise this team will be very similar for a long, long time.

Again...a closer that can't strike out guys at critical times.
Stop! Don't blame the pitching on this game. The defense literally gave it away. You're up by a run and the left fielder is playing in??

Closers strike guys out.

Not every ball should be in play.
He struck out their best hitter (Gunner Henderson) for the second out and then an easy ground ball to Volpe botched and god knows what Verdugo was doing. I don’t love Holmes as a closer, but today wasn’t on him.

Reactions: Kbee3
He struck out their best hitter (Gunner Henderson) for the second out and then an easy ground ball to Volpe botched and god knows what Verdugo was doing. I don’t love Holmes as a closer, but today wasn’t on him.
So true.

Yankees have called up Jorbit Vivas...who plays mostly 2nd base but can also play 3rd.
IMO overdue, as he's been impressive in the minors.
Not sure why they called this guy up if they weren't gonna let him play.
He's been sent back down.

Closers strike guys out.

Not every ball should be in play.
Not every player needs to be struck out. If the defense player average Yanks win the game. You are a one minded skipping record. We get it, you want perfect closers who strike out the side on 9 pitches.

Last edited:
A few years back Brett Gardner went at least the first half of the season with a pathetic bat, but turned things around in the second half. Perhaps they're hoping for a similar re-awakening from DJ. A shame they couldn't regain any of the games they lost in the first half because of his putrid production with the bat.
BTW, DJ has two more years left on his contract.

Last edited:
Verdugo should have easily caught the ball on that game-winning "double".
Soooooooo glad this puerile little jerk off was traded off the Red Sox.

BTW, he is an above average outfielder. He played RF very well for the Red Sox.

A few years back Brett Gardner went at least the first half of the season with a pathetic bat, but turned things around in the second half. Perhaps they're hoping from a similar re-awakening from DJ. A shame they couldn't regain any of the games they lost in the first half because of his putrid production with the bat.
BTW, DJ has two more years left on his contract.
If DJ was great last year this would be the hope. He hasn't been good or healthy for a few years now.

Soooooooo glad this puerile little jerk off was traded off the Red Sox.

BTW, he is an above average outfielder. He played RF very well for the Red Sox.
Somehow I'm not believing Bosux fans don't like Verdugo because he's "puerile".

If DJ was great last year this would be the hope. He hasn't been good or healthy for a few years now.
I think the only reason DJ hasn’t been released is his versatility in playing anywhere on the IF. But yeah, certainly his bat has been AWOL since 2022.

I think the only reason DJ hasn’t been released is his versatility in playing anywhere on the IF. But teah, certainly his bat has been AWOL since 2022.
Actually, I think it's the two more years left on his contract and their thought that they have no better options.
Which is dumb, because Peraza can hit ,190 just as well as DJ.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT