ADVERTISEMENT

OT: ACC says "Let's make a Deal"

I don't see it mainly because the B1G prides itself on academics as much as athletics, namely in the form of research dollars. Can't forget the B1G makes a shit ton more money on the academic side with research.
No, they don’t make money on research. Research project budgets cover research project expenses without any extra $. In fact, universities lose money on research because funding doesnt usually cover all the research project costs. Full F&A isn’t recovered on research, nor are new hire research lab startup costs.

So while the BIG10 universities do have research revenue which exceeds the BIG10 annual athletics payout, research operates in the red. Same as athletics in most places.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fat Koko
That guy is full of it. He throws literally everything on the wall. I’ve seen him from years ago and he has changed his name too. I don’t pay attention anymore. Might as well be like that WVU guy…dudefromwv or whatever his name was.

This is from a Minnesota guy who also likes to talk about all this stuff but is a little more humble about it. He also likes to gin things up too for views or whatnot, guess they all do. He actually called the USC move from his connection to Minnesota boosters and even got a LA times article written about him because of it. He’s not gospel either but he’s not pompous like that genetics guy. That genetics guy would always harass him but he’s got many receipts as Deion would say lol.

That genetics guy is no Sir Yacht. Lots of posers on social media.

Am I missing something? Tallahassee to Seattle is almost 3,000 miles.
uh fuzzy math? keystroke error? mental lapse in mathematical reasoning? map reading failure?

Point stands though, long travel time to and from.

Reactions: BigRnj
Since money and football notoriety are trumping everything else, is there a chance that eventually schools like Rutgers and Maryland will be relegated? I know both schools brought a huge money boost when they were added to the B1G, but the conference musical chairs game has changed so much since then.

Speaking for myself -- I'm not sure I'd care that much, truthfully. Maryland isn't going to be big player in football going forward. I'm losing interest in college sports anyway...
I gave this a like because I agree with the last segment about the amount of care and interest. I don't think Rutgers is in jeopardy of being relegated unless there is no longer a Big Ten conference. I see the NBA is re-thinking their sponsorship of the Ignite team in the G-League given the presence of NIL in professional college basketball. Those guys aren't stupid. Why should they incur the salary expense when a bunch of boosters with too much money are willing to do so.? Another step in the wrong direction if this happens.

I still don't understand why Texas didn't join the B1G as opposed to the SEC
They fit the model in every conceivable way

200 million is their # while FSU's is 60
100 is what's being floated out there for the settlement
I figure it'll be somewhere around 120 (the original amount for the ACC exit fee) and call it a day
If the ACC settles for the amount of the exit fee or less ($120 million), they might as well just disband the conference at the same time, because they will be admitting their GOR which was supposed to be in addition to the exit fee isn’t worth the paper it is written on.
Yeah I mean in these type of situations, both parties will be shooting their shot
FSU low, ACC high
Going to discovery would be bad for the ACC, and prolonging this would be bad for FSU
So a deal in the 100-120 mil range makes sense for all involved
I don't see the ACC agreeing to settle for just the $120M exit fee or less than that, and give up any right to collect on the GORs. The B12 is probably also working behind the scenes to encourage the ACC not to do that. The more likely amount is the $120M exit fee plus the full ~$40M/yr GORs amount through 2027, since the extension is the biggest issue now, so $240M, $200M or $160M, depending on when FSU wants to leave.

I don't see the ACC agreeing to settle for just the $120M exit fee or less than that, and give up any right to collect on the GORs. The B12 is probably also working behind the scenes to encourage the ACC not to do that. The more likely amount is the $120M exit fee plus the full ~$40M/yr GORs amount through 2027, since the extension is the biggest issue now, so $240M, $200M or $160M, depending on when FSU wants to leave.
The ACC's biggest downfall is all of the dirt then don't want uncovered should things get to discovery phase

From not notifying members of the 2027 end date, to Swofford's antics, it's not a good look.

That, and they've already come to the table publicly extending an olive branch

I don't think it'll be over 200 mil, as that's the amount they're asking for now, per what's getting floated out there now

160 could do it, maybe less, but it should get done sooner rather than later

Of equal importance is whether Notre Dame will come to the table and eventually join the B1G.

They're clearly the biggest fish out there; what would it take for them to come along with FSU and others?

All this FSU excitement is from this excerpt? SMDH. They are reinforcing FSU assigned these rights in the GOR.

“If Florida State wishes to regain control of the rights before the end of the term, it could attempt to repurchase them,” the filing said. “But having to buy back a right which was assigned is not a penalty; it is simply a commercial possibility.”

All this FSU excitement is from this excerpt? SMDH. They are reinforcing FSU assigned these rights in the GOR.

“If Florida State wishes to regain control of the rights before the end of the term, it could attempt to repurchase them,” the filing said. “But having to buy back a right which was assigned is not a penalty; it is simply a commercial possibility.”
It's from many different excerpts, articles written, inside knowledge of the situation and common sense.

I've said they're out in 1-2 years; they cannot sustain excellence in their athletic department under the current financial discrepancy.

Hence, hiring big time lawyers, lining up PE, tapping Boosters, etc.

Why do people assume that the ACC will collapse? How many teams are they going to lose?
People are assuming they will lose at least 2-4 to the B1G/SEC, then at that point the remaining members head for the last spots on the lifeboats (B12) acting like George Costanza in a fire.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Why do people assume that the ACC will collapse? How many teams are they going to lose?
They may not collapse, but at a bare minimum, they'll lose FSU, Clemson and UNC

One has to think Miami won't be far behind, and any other school with an ounce of wanting to somewhat compete in football (NC State, VT) wouldn't be looking to stick around there

Why do you think it’s likely the B1G?
Everything lines up for it to the B1G

National profile and a conference for a national team, expanded academics and research, hospital, affiliation, strong, athletics department, recruiting, new areas of the country, separation from UF, more aligned with big 10, thinking in university, structure and vibe than then SEC, etc.

From an FSU perspective, speaking strictly from a football centric statement, the Big Ten is a much better option, as there are numerous hammers in the SEC that you will have to compete with, and are already behind the ball against

Reactions: bigmatt718
It's from many different excerpts, articles written, inside knowledge of the situation and common sense.

I've said they're out in 1-2 years; they cannot sustain excellence in their athletic department under the current financial discrepancy.

Hence, hiring big time lawyers, lining up PE, tapping Boosters, etc.
"Many different..." such as what exactly? The tweet you linked that started this thread isn't even available anymore.

Since money and football notoriety are trumping everything else, is there a chance that eventually schools like Rutgers and Maryland will be relegated? I know both schools brought a huge money boost when they were added to the B1G, but the conference musical chairs game has changed so much since then.

Speaking for myself -- I'm not sure I'd care that much, truthfully. Maryland isn't going to be big player in football going forward. I'm losing interest in college sports anyway...
No, we bring too much money to the table. Were the reason, USC and the other pac schools, as well as FSU want in.

Yes we are 2nd best conference, but IMO the national view of the BIG is that we are closer to the 3rd ranked conference than we are to the SEC. Not saying that is true but the ESPN hype machine probably thinks that. FSU is a nationally recognized brand and helps us close the gap on the SEC. And sure we brought in 4 respected schools but none of them are better than Texas or Oklahoma so we lost ground there.
Didn't Washington beat Texas in the playoffs?

What made Oklahoma equal to or better than Washington and Oregon?

ESPN attempting to always control the narrative is a real issue being so many get their sports news and opinion from them.

ESPN attempting to always control the narrative is a real issue being so many get their sports news and opinion from them.
Plus USC is the bluest of blue bloods. 10 national championships is basically Texas and Oklahoma combined.

Everything lines up for it to the B1G

National profile and a conference for a national team, expanded academics and research, hospital, affiliation, strong, athletics department, recruiting, new areas of the country, separation from UF, more aligned with big 10, thinking in university, structure and vibe than then SEC, etc.

From an FSU perspective, speaking strictly from a football centric statement, the Big Ten is a much better option, as there are numerous hammers in the SEC that you will have to compete with, and are already behind the ball against
UGA just announced they're opening up a medical school. I think there's a very real chance both FSU and UGA end up in the AAU the next time the opportunity for expansion comes up.

Does FSU have an option beside the Big Ten? Given that the SEC already has Florida, does adding FSU or Miami generate enough incremental TV revenue to make it a net positive? Same with Clemson and South Carolina being in the SEC. For some reason I have a hard time thinking the Big Ten would prioritize Clemson but that may not be the case.

The SEC would prioritize UNC and UVA because they would represent new contiguous markets. Both of those schools would be high on the Big Ten's list as well. If we are talking about the ACC losing 4 or less teams, there is enough left over and the possibility of a couple of adds that could keep them viable with the B-12. It is not out of the realm of possibility that some geographic sanity would allow a swap of Stanford and Cal to the Big-12 and WVU and someone else to the ACC. Academic profiles would not seem to be an issue anymore.

Pitt is a no brainer for the B12, likely with Louisville. It sets up a great group of rivalry teams close together in Pitt, Louisville,, Cincinnati, and WVU.

They don’t have the national markets, they should build on the regional intensity of the teams I mentioned, the Texas teams, the PAC12 additions, etc.
Nah!! Those four schools could never be in the same conf….uh. Never mind. Lllololol

Yes Washington did and they were better last year, but when people talk about the Blue Bloods of college football Texas and Oklahoma are mentioned way before Washington and Oregon.

they will lose 4 schools to the p2 and then 2 more to the B12 in all probability
you have been very vocal regarding the ACC and expansion. Let's assume the ACC GOR starts to crumble with FSU the leader out the door. Where do you see the following schools in 5 years? What's the end game?

FSU
Miami
UNC
NC State
UVA
VaTech
Clemson
ND

And I hope ND declines. Don’t want the greedy bastards in our conference.

UNC with FSU. And then stop. That is enough, IMO.
ND will sure have to adjust to the reality that they do not control the B1G and that may not be possible for them.

FSU, UNC, Maryland, RU and PSU would be a pod most likely.

ND will sure have to adjust to the reality that they do not control the B1G and that may not be possible for them.

FSU, UNC, Maryland, RU and PSU would be a pod most likely.
Why have pods? In football in 2024, we just got rid of East/West, essentially 2 pods. In basketball and every other B1G sport, there are no pods.

No pods. We don’t need no stinkin pods!

Why have pods? In football in 2024, we just got rid of East/West, essentially 2 pods. In basketball and every other B1G sport, there are no pods.

No pods. We don’t need no stinkin pods!
If you have 2 10 team divisions for football, can you play anyone on the other side or just the 9 games in your own division?

Or are the 3 remaining games all the other side of the conference?

Yes we are 2nd best conference, but IMO the national view of the BIG is that we are closer to the 3rd ranked conference than we are to the SEC. Not saying that is true but the ESPN hype machine probably thinks that. FSU is a nationally recognized brand and helps us close the gap on the SEC. And sure we brought in 4 respected schools but none of them are better than Texas or Oklahoma so we lost ground there.
The.BIG has been behind the SEC ( in football)but definitely closed the gap with Michigan winning the NC. The additions of the PAC schools only help.
Overall academically/athletically the BIG is the best conference period.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT