ADVERTISEMENT

OT: ACC says "Let's make a Deal"

jaydogsmooth1

Senior
Jul 28, 2021
My my my, what in the world is going on down in ACC land?
It certainly appears like they don't want to get into Discovery phase and realized the rent's about to be due.
100 million appears to be magic number to leave
Will it be B1G or SEC ??

If I was FSU I would make sure I have a definitive landing spot for 2025-26 and pay the discounted negotiated rate immediately.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
The BIG should float them a loan if they need it to get them into the conference.

Jay, do you straight up think it's going to be the B1G for Florida State? You've been right all along so far...

Reactions: RUpop
BIG should leap at UNC, UVA, GT, and FSU. No private schools.
Way too many schools. No way it would increase B10 share and it would actually cut everybody B10 share. Maybe one other like NC, just enough to destroy the ACC, and then the networks can spread more of the ACC money to B10 and SEC. Whatever is left over will get less TV money and be even less competitive.

My my my, what in the world is going on down in ACC land?
It certainly appears like they don't want to get into Discovery phase and realized the rent's about to be due.
100 million appears to be magic number to leave
Will it be B1G or SEC ??

This is not news. The issue is how much will it cost FSU. The GOR buyout and the exit fees are over $500 million. The question is how low can FSU negotiate this. Is paying $400 million worth it for FSU. And if the go Big Ten, the are likely to get an undervalued deal until the new tv contract come up. That’s a lot of bread

The ACC is showing a weak hand. Do others follow out the door? If so, which schools?
it's not a weak hand

you guys need to go read the one thread, I and Jay laid it all out

of note, before a judge, the options are 432mm ish or zero.....you run the ACC, what is your call? if you say anything other than a negotiated settlement without going to court, let's hope you don't breed

Reactions: cicero grimes
This is not news. The issue is how much will it cost FSU. The GOR buyout and the exit fees are over $500 million. The question is how low can FSU negotiate this. Is paying $400 million worth it for FSU. And if the go Big Ten, the are likely to get an undervalued deal until the new tv contract come up. That’s a lot of bread
as previously stated, it won't be in the 500mm area as the contract for ESPN rights only goes to 2027 per existing contract. Once the suit was filed, that is the marked date, not 2036

Reactions: Arizona Knight
Jay, do you straight up think it's going to be the B1G for Florida State? You've been right all along so far...
I do
Everything lines up perfectly for it to be the B1G

From academic goals, research, hospital partnership, overall athletics dept, recruiting, new portion of the country, national profiles, separating from UF, stadium renovations, university acquiring new land, etc - it makes too much sense

BIG should leap at UNC, UVA, GT, and FSU. No private schools.
without being condescending, are you re^arded? You do understand there is a baseline of revenues that needs to be met for any additional school(s)?

Last edited:
Likely ~100 million and I’ve heard full share upon every

Saw that yesterday but that’s not really new news. It’s always been about how much? How much is the ACC willing to accept and how much is FSU willing to pay?

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Saw that yesterday but that’s not really new news. It’s always been about how much? How much is the ACC willing to accept and how much is FSU willing to pay?
200 million is their # while FSU's is 60
100 is what's being floated out there for the settlement
I figure it'll be somewhere around 120 (the original amount for the ACC exit fee) and call it a day

yes but it's the first backtracking publicly by the ACC. important move but ACC, imho, opened the gates and can say 2 schools already pulled a Missouri

...I'm sure Clemson is thrilled and the Pitt and cuse fans that frequent the board will talk about how this is 'great' for the ACC...

Joe P.
Clemson is definitely happy, while Cuse and Pitt should focus their attention on bball and non-revenue sports moving forward

I do
Everything lines up perfectly for it to be the B1G

From academic goals, research, hospital partnership, overall athletics dept, recruiting, new portion of the country, national profiles, separating from UF, stadium renovations, university acquiring new land, etc - it makes too much sense
gonna be the longest travel for away games of any conference Miami to Oregon almost 1400 miles. Away games are gonna be brutal. umm maybe 1400 is a little shy 🙃

Last edited:
200 million is their # while FSU's is 60
100 is what's being floated out there for the settlement
I figure it'll be somewhere around 120 (the original amount for the ACC exit fee) and call it a day
If the ACC settles for the amount of the exit fee or less ($120 million), they might as well just disband the conference at the same time, because they will be admitting their GOR which was supposed to be in addition to the exit fee isn’t worth the paper it is written on.

Clemson is definitely happy, while Cuse and Pitt should focus their attention on bball and non-revenue sports moving forward
Pitt is a no brainer for the B12, likely with Louisville. It sets up a great group of rivalry teams close together in Pitt, Louisville,, Cincinnati, and WVU.

They don’t have the national markets, they should build on the regional intensity of the teams I mentioned, the Texas teams, the PAC12 additions, etc.

Pitt is a no brainer for the B12, likely with Louisville. It sets up a great group of rivalry teams close together in Pitt, Louisville,, Cincinnati, and WVU.

They don’t have the national markets, they should build on the regional intensity of the teams I mentioned, the Texas teams, the PAC12 additions, etc.
Pitt/Louisville fit in the Big 12 with Cincy/WVU. That's a solid east wing quartet of schools.

I don’t think they’re enough spots in the B10/SEC for a whole bunch of ACC schools.

If that’s the case, I still think it’s more likely B12 schools (WVU/UCF) go to the ACC than the the other way round.

The B12 and ACC are the same, difference is negligible. If anything being in the east coast time zone might bring a little more value to the ACC. Just 6 of one, half size of the other imo.

Reactions: 50 yd line RR
If the ACC settles for the amount of the exit fee or less ($120 million), they might as well just disband the conference at the same time, because they will be admitting their GOR which was supposed to be in addition to the exit fee isn’t worth the paper it is written on.
Yeah I mean in these type of situations, both parties will be shooting their shot
FSU low, ACC high
Going to discovery would be bad for the ACC, and prolonging this would be bad for FSU
So a deal in the 100-120 mil range makes sense for all involved

• Haha
Reactions: Leonard23

I agree
They'd fit in nice w/the B12
As for Wake, Cuse and BC... they're done (maybe not Cuse as they'd be on the outer fringes of the B12, but I doubt it)

Reactions: RUaMoose
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT