ADVERTISEMENT

OT: ACC says "Let's make a Deal"

Does FSU have an option beside the Big Ten? Given that the SEC already has Florida, does adding FSU or Miami generate enough incremental TV revenue to make it a net positive? Same with Clemson and South Carolina being in the SEC. For some reason I have a hard time thinking the Big Ten would prioritize Clemson but that may not be the case.

The SEC would prioritize UNC and UVA because they would represent new contiguous markets. Both of those schools would be high on the Big Ten's list as well. If we are talking about the ACC losing 4 or less teams, there is enough left over and the possibility of a couple of adds that could keep them viable with the B-12. It is not out of the realm of possibility that some geographic sanity would allow a swap of Stanford and Cal to the Big-12 and WVU and someone else to the ACC. Academic profiles would not seem to be an issue anymore.
Depends who you ask

I recently spoke with two guys super connected to the happenings of the athletic dept - both are convinced there’s no way the SEC lets the B1G come in and swoop us up

Depends who you ask

I recently spoke with two guys super connected to the happenings of the athletic dept - both are convinced there’s no way the SEC lets the B1G come in and swoop us up
Would FSU choose the SEC over the BIG?

If you have 2 10 team divisions for football, can you play anyone on the other side or just the 9 games in your own division?

Or are the 3 remaining games all the other side of the conference?
I don’t want divisions or pods. Period. The B1G just had divisions in football and got rid of them. No pods or divisions.

Over a number of years, each school plays everyone else in the conference the same amount of times.

Highly doubtful
Big Ten offers so many different advantages at the SEC doesn’t
What are these advantages? SEC would be less travel. From a purely athletic competition perspective they seem similar particularly once you bring in the West Coast four. Not sure any other factors really matter. Presidents will make it seem like there are other academic considerations but to me that is all window dressing at this point.

I am going to be very interested in how the likes of UCLA, USC and perhaps FSU deal with November trips to places like Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota and Wisconsin. I guess right now FSU has an occasional late season game scheduled at Pitt, BC or Blacksburg but they could avoid such inclement weather considerations if they go the SEC route. Wasn't there some statistic that no SEC schools venture north of the Mason Dixon line after the end of September?

What are these advantages? SEC would be less travel. From a purely athletic competition perspective they seem similar particularly once you bring in the West Coast four. Not sure any other factors really matter. Presidents will make it seem like there are other academic considerations but to me that is all window dressing at this point.

I am going to be very interested in how the likes of UCLA, USC and perhaps FSU deal with November trips to places like Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota and Wisconsin. I guess right now FSU has an occasional late season game scheduled at Pitt, BC or Blacksburg but they could avoid such inclement weather considerations if they go the SEC route. Wasn't there some statistic that no SEC schools venture north of the Mason Dixon line after the end of September?
Less travel is definitely true but that doesn’t outweigh the other advantages the B1G has

UF didn’t travel outside FL for an OOC game for 30 years

Reactions: RUTGERS95
I don’t want divisions or pods. Period. The B1G just had divisions in football and got rid of them. No pods or divisions.

Over a number of years, each school plays everyone else in the conference the same amount of times.
How do you handle rivalry matchups? Are you saying that Michigan and Ohio State or USC and UCLA do not play every year?

Sorry if this was already brought up......

Push comes to shove, would FSU rather be in the same conf as UF, not be in the same conf, or it doesn't matter either way?
Definitely prefer Different conferences
There’s so much politically w them at the state level & funding, not to mention athletically

How do you handle rivalry matchups? Are you saying that Michigan and Ohio State or USC and UCLA do not play every year?
Simple. The same way the B1G handles rivalry matchups in 2024.

Because in 2024 there are no divisions and there are no pods.

It’s precisely why A&M must be absolutely furious with the SEC that Texas is now in there

UF and FSU are equivalence in most things, athletically, especially where it counts most in football

Same number of Heisman, same number of national championships, roughly the same overall success throughout their respective histories

UF has more fans in Florida, FSU has more fans nationally

Texas and Texas A&M is more similar to an Alabama and Auburn type situation. A&M is always will be the little brother to Texas, so when they went out on their own into the SEC, that was their chance to differentiate themselves and really carve their own niche.

Then Sec goes behind in they’re back in ads Texas, which, knowing how the SEC operates, is not surprising, given their track record of shadiness (which is another reason, if given the option of joining the B1G of SEC, not to go into business with them as they cannot be trusted)

Medica

Medical schools and affiliated hospitals are where the big money comes from

Since Pitt was mentioned in this thread, I'll join in the discussion.

Your comments about Medical Schools, Hospitals and Research Income are spot on. I'll get into that in a bit.

As far as FSU is concerned, since they are not happy in the ACC I would like to see them go after they pay a negotiated exit fee which can be distributed among the schools. In some ways like a marriage, you signed the prenup so how how much change will both parties agree too.

I would like to see them go to the B1G because I think their football fortunes would not be great (aka Nebraska).
Playing a potential diet of Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, USC, UCLA, Washington and Oregon would not give a great W/L record compared to what they were used to IMO. The B1G will be like the NFL where most teams will beat each other up and no one will be undefeated like in the past.

Money made from sports is actually very small (maybe 5 cents on a dollar) when compared to income that can be made from annual Research Grants (Research Grants to a University can only be used for the Research Project).

Example, B1G sports teams will each get $60 million or more which is great compared to the ACC getting maybe $40 million.

However sports income compared to yearly income from Research Grants is very small. Consider Pitt a University of just 30,000 students. In 2023 Pitt had total annual Research Grants of $1.16 Billion including $658.3 million from NIH funding. Pitt invests as much as possible in facilities which will enhance its research capabilities.
Penn State will be spending $700 million on renovating Beaver Stadium (used 7 times a year). Pitt plays in Acrisure Stadium (used 7 times per year) but will be building a $1.5 Billion 17 story UPMC Presbyterian Hospital in Oakland to be opened in 2026 and spending $250 million on a Bioforge Manufacturing facility to be opened in 2025.

Rutgers now having a Medical School and Hospital System is great because they will be able to bring in additional income from getting additional Research Grants.

US News Global Universities Rankings 2023 illustrates how your school compares to other world class research universities (criteria involves Research, Graduate Programs, Published Papers etc).

US News Global University Ranking 2023: (Pitt #45, Penn State #84, Florida State #241 and Alabama #512).

I would have liked Pitt to be a member of the B1G not so much for the Sports Programs but for the Academic prestige (17 AAU members) although I condsider the ACC the 2nd best Academic Conference (9 AAU members).

If a few other teams leave the ACC Conference they will be able to be replaced. The ACC at 18 (maybe 17) members is too large to be consumed.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
ND will sure have to adjust to the reality that they do not control the B1G and that may not be possible for them.

FSU, UNC, Maryland, RU and PSU would be a pod most likely.
iu

Since Pitt was mentioned in this thread, I'll join in the discussion.

Your comments about Medical Schools, Hospitals and Research Income are spot on. I'll get into that in a bit.

As far as FSU is concerned, since they are not happy in the ACC I would like to see them go after they pay a negotiated exit fee which can be distributed among the schools.

I would like to see them go to the B1G because I think their football fortunes would not be great (aka Nebraska).
Playing a potential diet of Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, USC, UCLA, Washington and Oregon would not give a great W/L record compared to what they were used to IMO. The B1G will be like the NFL were most teams will beat each other up and no one will be undefeated like in the past.

Money made from sports is actually very small (maybe 5 cents on a dollar) when compared to income that can be made from annual Research Grants (Research Grants to a University can only be used for the Research Project).

Example, B1G sports teams will each get $60 million or more which is great compared to the ACC getting maybe $40 million.

However sports income compared to yearly income from Research Grants is very small. Consider Pitt a University of just 30,000 students. In 2023 Pitt had total annual Research Grants of $1.16 Billion including $658.3 million from NIH funding. Pitt invests as much as possible in facilities which will enhance its research capabilities.
Penn State will be spending $700 million on renovating Beaver Stadium (used 7 times a year). Pitt plays in Acrisure Stadium (used 7 times per year) but will be building a $1.5 Billion 17 story UPMC Presbyterian Hospital in Oakland to be opened in 2026 and spending $250 million on a Bioforge Manufacturing facility to be opened in 2025.

Rutgers now having a Medical School and Hospital System is great because they will be able to bring in additional income from getting additional Research Grants.

US News Global Universities Rankings 2023 illustrates how your school compares to other world class research universities (criteria involves Research, Graduate Programs, Published Papers etc).

US News Global University Ranking 2023: (Pitt #45, Penn State #84, Florida State #241 and Alabama #512).

I would have liked Pitt to be a member of the B1G not so much for the Sports Programs but for the Academic prestige (17 AAU members) although I condsider the ACC the 2nd best Academic Conference (9 AAU members).

If a few other teams leave the ACC Conference they will be able to be replaced. The ACC at 18 (maybe 17) members is too large to be consumed.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Sports are only a small part of the equation in the big picture, but obviously pertinent for this discussion on a football board

I wish Penn State would’ve gotten a death penalty for the Sandusky scandal, and then Pitt could’ve slid right in their spot in the Big Ten that would’ve been ideal

In regards to the SEC versus the Big Ten, there are advantages for each, but the big 10 advantages far out away the SEC

Reactions: RUNVA
Sports are only a small part of the equation in the big picture, but obviously pertinent for this discussion on a football board

I wish Penn State would’ve gotten a death penalty for the Sandusky scandal, and then Pitt could’ve slid right in their spot in the Big Ten that would’ve been ideal

In regards to the SEC versus the Big Ten, there are advantages for each, but the big 10 advantages far out away the SEC

Pitt was always on the cusp of getting a B1G invite but never got that call.

Actually, Pitt was considered for the B1G many years ago but in the end I believe Michigan State got the Invite.

I agree with you in that the advantages of the B1G are greater than the SEC.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Pitt was always on the cusp of getting a B1G invite but never got that call.

Actually, Pitt was considered for the B1G many years ago but in the end I believe Michigan State got the Invite.

I agree with you in that the advantages of the B1G are greater than the SEC.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
to be honest, I'd rather Pitt than someone like Clemson or UVA

Pods are inevitable.
Big Ten/SEC can't have 20+ teams and not sort themselves into divisions.

It'll mimic the NFL.
You play your own division every year.
Then rotation of teams from other divisions.

Then have their own playoffs to determine conference champ.
Division winners in a 4 team playoff.
I hope so, makes perfect sense and would be awesome

I'll ask again, assuming the ACC will allow schools to buy out/leave, or GOR expires,
Where do the following schools land? FSU-Miami-UNC-NC State-UVA-Va Tech-Clemson-ND. Would any more western schools get a B1G invite CO-UT-AZ to balance the west?

How many in B1G, how many in SEC? How do you see the pods/divisions that you state will be awesome?

Pods are inevitable.
Big Ten/SEC can't have 20+ teams and not sort themselves into divisions.

It'll mimic the NFL.
You play your own division every year.
Then rotation of teams from other divisions.

Then have their own playoffs to determine conference champ.
Division winners in a 4 team playoff.
My list just keeps getting longer. 🎯🔫 😉

Zipper with a protected matchup works fine. Gets thru the whole list faster (than pods) too.

Separate thread but I think the 2024 Big Ten Championship game selection is going to be very eye opening for many.
And could immediately lead to 2-4 divisions by 2025 or 2026.

With no divisions, its just going to be top 2 teams in conference.
What if three teams are all 7-2?
Or 9-0 and two at 8-1?
Or someone goes 8-1 with an easier schedule than someone who goes 7-2.
Won't be as easy to compare schedules with less common opponents (without divisions).

I don't believe the tie breakers have been announced.
Will they use CFP rankings?
Would people be happy the selection committee could be selecting the Big Ten Championship participants?

Separate thread but I think the 2024 Big Ten Championship game selection is going to be very eye opening for many.

Or 9-0 and two at 8-1?
Won't be as easy to compare schedules with less common opponents (without divisions).

Would people be happy the selection committee could be selecting the Big Ten Championship participants?
i dont like pods simply because they will be geographic and not a fan of that, it would like what an old big east/acc might look like, thats not why i joined the big 10

Reactions: NickRU714

Or 9-0 and two at 8-1?

This issue happened back in the old days when it was just the “Big 10” when trying to figure out who went to the Rose Bowl. Even then when it was just 10 schools, not everyone played each other.

They figured it out then and they’ll figure it now.

Last edited:
Hey I would rather see 10 team conferences with a geographic structure but have to acknowledge any size B1G is better for RU
Agree.

But that doesn’t mean a pod set up is necessarily the future.

I'll ask again, assuming the ACC will allow schools to buy out/leave, or GOR expires,
Where do the following schools land? FSU-Miami-UNC-NC State-UVA-Va Tech-Clemson-ND. Would any more western schools get a B1G invite CO-UT-AZ to balance the west?

How many in B1G, how many in SEC? How do you see the pods/divisions that you state will be awesome?
Very good chance FSU ends up in the B1G
As for the others I’ll defer to 95

The SEC would be a great fit for FSU - culturally and athletically.
Agree athleticly
Disagree culturally

Though not NYC, Tallahassee is nothing like Gainesville, Oxford, Starkville, Auburn, etc

Bc it’s the Capitol, it has a different vibe
FSU isn’t the only game in town

It’s more similar to New Brunswick then State College

Reactions: RUTGERS95
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT