ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Amelia Earhart?

Don't buy it. Japan says they have no record of her and, even though part of this theory is that she and her navigator died in one of their prisoner camps, there is no reason that Japan would withhold this information from us. They are an ally and wouldn't want to damage our relationship by not being honest about it.

The known facts immediately surrounding Earhart's disappearance are more than ample to conclude that she crashed into the ocean after running out of fuel. At night, with no visual frame of reference, a survivable water landing would have been next to impossible.

I don't understand how a photo of someone with their back turned to the camera is "proof" that she survived the crash.

The first night airmail service utilized an airport built about three miles north of Rutgers Stadium called Hadley Field (then in Piscataway, today in South Plainfield). Later the airport would also host airshows. In 1932, a flyer sent their Lockheed Vega 5B down from Newark Airport with an assistant to later fly in an airshow. But, in the end, the pilot couldn't make the show.

Yep... the person was Amelia Earhart and that plane was the one she soloed in across the Atlantic.

Also, Jimmy Doolittle was invited to the airshow but couldn't shake free from prior commitments.

World War I flying ace (shot down nine planes and a balloon according to the April 1, 1931 Daily Home News) and, later, Naval Reserves Rear Admiral Ken Unger ran the Aviation School there. During Unger's show, he had to parachute out of his plane that was breaking up. He not only landed safely, he was back up in the air with a new plane within an hour after the crash.

The known facts immediately surrounding Earhart's disappearance are more than ample to conclude that she crashed into the ocean after running out of fuel. At night, with no visual frame of reference, a survivable water landing would have been next to impossible.
Pretty much, nothing else needs to be said.

Reactions: RickB113
What's interesting, in part, here, is that the folks who are lending credence to these reports are fairly reputable people.

Looking at this from an Occam's razor perspective, one would have to bet that they crashed in the ocean near Howland. But that would be far from conclusive evidence, and there is a fair amount that suggests that they survived the crash. But if they did, why no remains of them or the plane? This photo would explain how that occurred.

If I had to put money on it, I'd go with "sleep with the fish," but with good enough odds, I'd put a few quid on "captured by the Japanese, never seen again."

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
Props to them...cashing in on a completely unprovable theory...

I kinda like the idea.. believable.. apparently the locals have always said she was there... now this photo might add credence to their testimony. The idea that she crashed on Howland.. (stuff was found on Howland) was captured by the Japs.. and they took her and her plane by boat to Saipan.. makes sense.

Was she a spy? Maybe. Probably just trying to fly around the world.. but the Japs were doing some bad things and planning more bad things.. and thus were overly suspicious... makes sense.

I kinda like the idea.. believable.. apparently the locals have always said she was there... now this photo might add credence to their testimony. The idea that she crashed on Howland.. (stuff was found on Howland) was captured by the Japs.. and they took her and her plane by boat to Saipan.. makes sense.

Was she a spy? Maybe. Probably just trying to fly around the world.. but the Japs were doing some bad things and planning more bad things.. and thus were overly suspicious... makes sense.

Ultimately unprovable...

Ultimately unprovable...
perhaps unprovable... I am a firm believer in the old "where there's one, there's more" axiom. I used to use it when diving into coolers and trash cans of ice fishing around for one of the last beers.. but in this case, maybe this one photo shows something.. and if another is uncovered in some dusty archive somewhere? Maybe fire-bombing Tokyo made such things disappear.. I don't know.. but where there's one...

Last edited:
Reactions: RUJohnny
It's interesting but Japan would have a record of it. Capturing a couple of American spies would have made it into their records and they surely would have given the info to the US by now. The turn off was the man saying the US government was hiding something. They are catering to the flat earth people.

Not Howland, Marshalls. She was supposed to go to Howland.

US/Japan relations were close to actively hostile in 1937, and Japan's international activities were actively hostile in general. If the Japanese did capture and kill/imprison Earhart, why would they make that public? I could imagine they tried to ransom her and US refused. That would give both governments a reason to bury the incident.

Again, most likely she just crashed and sank, but the photo and the stories are fun to ponder. Not out of the question.

I just put some bread in the oven prior to leaving for work. Her image appeard as the bread browned.

The Japs?

Don't think the story is out of the question. Like poster wrote their were rumors from the locals.

Last edited:
I still think she was that old lady they found wandering around Roswell.

Best comment I've seen... "new evidence supports the fact Amelia Earhart survived, if you ignored all the evidence that she totally died".

Don't buy it. Japan says they have no record of her and, even though part of this theory is that she and her navigator died in one of their prisoner camps, there is no reason that Japan would withhold this information from us. They are an ally and wouldn't want to damage our relationship by not being honest about it.
The same Japan that whitewashed their war crimes in textbooks? i don't even want to think about what they would've done to her if she was captured.

The first night airmail service utilized an airport built about three miles north of Rutgers Stadium called Hadley Field (then in Piscataway, today in South Plainfield). Later the airport would also host airshows. In 1932, a flyer sent their Lockheed Vega 5B down from Newark Airport with an assistant to later fly in an airshow. But, in the end, the pilot couldn't make the show.

Yep... the person was Amelia Earhart and that plane was the one she soloed in across the Atlantic.

Also, Jimmy Doolittle was invited to the airshow but couldn't shake free from prior commitments.

World War I flying ace (shot down nine planes and a balloon according to the April 1, 1931 Daily Home News) and, later, Naval Reserves Rear Admiral Ken Unger ran the Aviation School there. During Unger's show, he had to parachute out of his plane that was breaking up. He not only landed safely, he was back up in the air with a new plane within an hour after the crash.
It was a nice little airport, but eventually lost out and became the SP Mall.

almost every jap soldier was killed and close to 25k civillians during the battle of saipan. all military records were destroyed during the battle as the japs used their remaining fuel to burn everything and they blew up the prison which was used for wounded so Americans wouldn't get any live prisoners

who knows but the picture, witness accounts, and military records in late 60s suggest it's plausible

Have no idea if she survived an obvious crash landing, but the Japs were beyond comprehension in their level of brutality. Anyone who studies WW2 knows that they were responsible for unheard of treatment of prisoners whom they considered with disdain. I would not be surprised if they have buried this deep so as to not inflame Americans.

-----------
this of course is the most logical conclusion.... I still think you cannot totally rule out that she landed on some island, sent out a few distress transmissions that were widely reported, and died shortly thereafter on that island..... as I mentioned on the other thread there were over a hundred reports of people picking up a distress transmission..... sure, a number of them could be bogus

yes, transmission (120 of which 57 now deemed credible) were made until the 16/17th

coordinates given however, would disprove this new 'evidence' as the transmissions put her on Howland/Gardner island

The show airs Sunday, should be worth a watch. Not sure how legit it is until I can watch it.

Question, What was the male populations opinion of a Woman flying around the world after flying solo across to the Atlantic?
I betting the male pop. Wasn't very enthused about her endeavors.
Could any of this played a roll in her final outcome?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT