ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Any ex-pats here?

rutobls

Senior
Sep 15, 2009
Just found out my girlfriend received the approvals needed for us to move to Berlin this summer, and we plan to stay there/abroad indefinitely. I am a dual US-German citizen which has made the process much easier. Any other ex-pats here? Anyone in Berlin? To say we are excited is a massive understatement!!!

Other side of the world. Live in Bangkok now for 2.5 years and before that Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam for 4. I wish I had done this 25 years ago.
Enjoy your time overseas!!!!

Reactions: rutobls
Other side of the world. Live in Bangkok now for 2.5 years and before that Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam for 4. I wish I had done this 25 years ago.
Enjoy your time overseas!!!!
was just there! spent some time seeing Taj, then Thailand, then Cambodia before returning home yesterday

I'm and exPat, live in NJ and used to live in America

I'm currently living in London. It's really hard initially to move away from friends and family but you'll have so many experiences that you will never forget.

Reactions: rutobls
I'm in Geneva Switzerland (approaching 9 years).

Have the Block R on my car and have randomly come across people that recognize what it is.

Berlin is pretty sweet.

I think the 1st year or 2 will be the hardest for you both to adjust to. But assuming you speak German that will help tremendously.

We should have a European watch party in the future.

Reactions: redking and rutobls
I'm in Geneva Switzerland (approaching 9 years).

Have the Block R on my car and have randomly come across people that recognize what it is.

Berlin is pretty sweet.

I think the 1st year or 2 will be the hardest for you both to adjust to. But assuming you speak German that will help tremendously.

We should have a European watch party in the future.
I remember I was here only about 3 months (pre Covid ) on a packed Skytrain and I saw some girl with a bELieve 52 shirt. Wanted to ask her about it but lost her in the crowd.

Just found out my girlfriend received the approvals needed for us to move to Berlin this summer, and we plan to stay there/abroad indefinitely. I am a dual US-German citizen which has made the process much easier. Any other ex-pats here? Anyone in Berlin? To say we are excited is a massive understatement!!!
I suppose you are going to claim that this is just a coincidence.

I am in the process of getting my EU passport but haven't decided where I'd move to just yet.

Though Berlin would be on my list for sure.

I’m always patriotic… I stand for the national anthem and the Pledge of Allegiance.. no ex-pat here. Oh wait, never mind 🤪

PS - I’ve never lived overseas but have worked and traveled internationally for 40+ years (even received some local travel advice from @colbert17 for Vietnam and @SkilletHead2 for New Zealand via this board). I’m currently at 83 countries … still haven’t decided where I would live if not here 😉

I've been in New Zealand for almost 18 years now. In Dunedin, south end of the South Island. It's a great place to live and to visit. Especially if you are into mountains, lakes, rivers, and a gazillion miles of shoreline. People are super friendly. Great place to ski or to fly fish.

I miss US as my kids and grandkids are there. Also my brothers. We get back 2-3 times per year. Will be there in about a month, actually. (Also miss great museums and the wider variety of restaurants.)

We are just back from a month long trip to Antarctica. Got to see Scott and Shackleton huts and tons of incredible wildlife (whales, penguins, seals, albatrosses).

People sometimes think of being an ex-pat as turning your back on US. I don't see it that way at all. I still pay a fair amount of taxes in US, vote in the elections, and keep close track of political and social developments. And RU sports of course.

I've been in New Zealand for almost 18 years now. In Dunedin, south end of the South Island. It's a great place to live and to visit. Especially if you are into mountains, lakes, rivers, and a gazillion miles of shoreline. People are super friendly. Great place to ski or to fly fish.

I miss US as my kids and grandkids are there. Also my brothers. We get back 2-3 times per year. Will be there in about a month, actually. (Also miss great museums and the wider variety of restaurants.)

We are just back from a month long trip to Antarctica. Got to see Scott and Shackleton huts and tons of incredible wildlife (whales, penguins, seals, albatrosses).

People sometimes think of being an ex-pat as turning your back on US. I don't see it that way at all. I still pay a fair amount of taxes in US, vote in the elections, and keep close track of political and social developments. And RU sports of course.
My sister just spent 30 days in NZ on vacation and loved it.

Reactions: SkilletHead2

You didn't turn your back on the US, just your kids and grandchildren that you never see.! 😜

Seriously, the wife has always wanted to see Antarctica. Perhaps in the next few years? Backed up on a few big trips due to you know what.

You didn't turn your back on the US, just your kids and grandchildren that you never see.! 😜

Seriously, the wife has always wanted to see Antarctica. Perhaps in the next few years? Backed up on a few big trips due to you know what.
Actually see them as often as I did when I lived in the States as they live in Boston and Virginia. But still not enough. I'm probably going to retire at the end of the year, and then will spend more time with them.

We toured with Tours Direct, and went on the Heritage Adventurer. Would definitely recommend it. And would go on the Feb cruise, not Jan (it's warmer and you are more likely to get to places).

You would probably love NZ as well. Very friendly lots of stuff to do and see.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Loved my extended visit to NZ and thought about living there. Only trouble is, as someone who loves to travel, it is just so damn far from everywhere else. Probably what makes it so nice.

I could see myself living in London, especially now that the cost of living has come down so much.

However, after a recent tour or eastern Europe (some) I think I am more likely to end up in Budapest or Bratislava. The latter, BTW if you don't know much about it, is one of the best kept secrets in Europe.

I dislike penguins.
Went to a Catholic grammar school ?????
6402745-funny-nun-carrying-wooden-ruler-as-a-weapon.jpg

Actually see them as often as I did when I lived in the States as they live in Boston and Virginia. But still not enough. I'm probably going to retire at the end of the year, and then will spend more time with them.

We toured with Tours Direct, and went on the Heritage Adventurer. Would definitely recommend it. And would go on the Feb cruise, not Jan (it's warmer and you are more likely to get to places).

You would probably love NZ as well. Very friendly lots of stuff to do and see.
Always thought about NZ so I can retrace Frodo’s journey to Mount Doom. However, gotta do French Polynesia first. That’s been on the list for a long time.

Reactions: SkilletHead2
I'm currently living in London. It's really hard initially to move away from friends and family but you'll have so many experiences that you will never forget.
Hey I am from Portsmouth England and been in US since 1974-Enjoy England! Bringing my daughter over to England (Chelsea) for Easter. Since I noticed you are a Spurs fan can you give me a legitimate site I can purchase tickets for Spurs vs Brighton game over Easter? I bought 2 tix on Stub Hub ie (International) and believe them to be a fraud. People watch out for this site as not affiliated with Stub hub US!

Hey I am from Portsmouth England and been in US since 1974-Enjoy England! Bringing my daughter over to England (Chelsea) for Easter. Since I noticed you are a Spurs fan can you give me a legitimate site I can purchase tickets for Spurs vs Brighton game over Easter? I bought 2 tix on Stub Hub ie (International) and believe them to be a fraud. People watch out for this site as not affiliated with Stub hub US!
Hey,
Message me privately I'll explain how it works and see what I can do.
For anyone else looking to go to a game in England stubhub isn't authorized to sell Premier League tickets so it's very easy to post fake tix.

Reactions: famousbill19
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT