ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anybody ever used a professional resume service?

drewbagel423

All American
Oct 30, 2006
I'm getting a little fed up with my current employer. My supervisor is nominating me for a promotion so he and I put together a strong package to submit to upper management. It included endorsements from lots of big shots in the company and even our government customer (I work at a defense contractor).

Well after we submit it he checks on the status and our director tells us that it's not going to go through this cycle because there is a backlog of diverse candidates that need to go through first. My fault for being born a white male (not trying to make this a political debate). And who knows if it'll even go through the next cycle or God knows when.

Anyway it's really got me pissed off and I'm looking to test the waters. I'm not a good creative writer so I was thinking about getting professional help to make it stand out.

Anybody have any suggestions or advice?

In this economy, you don't need a professional resume service?

Any hint on your employer? I work in defense too and would want to avoid your company in the future.

I'm getting a little fed up with my current employer. My supervisor is nominating me for a promotion so he and I put together a strong package to submit to upper management. It included endorsements from lots of big shots in the company and even our government customer (I work at a defense contractor).

Well after we submit it he checks on the status and our director tells us that it's not going to go through this cycle because there is a backlog of diverse candidates that need to go through first. My fault for being born a white male (not trying to make this a political debate). And who knows if it'll even go through the next cycle or God knows when.

Anyway it's really got me pissed off and I'm looking to test the waters. I'm not a good creative writer so I was thinking about getting professional help to make it stand out.

Diversity advancement is out of control. I'm having similar issues with my employer (a global tech giant) because the ONLY people getting promoted for the last two years are people who are not white and male. I sympathize with your predicament.

Change your gender, identify as a woman, start your own defense contracting company, bid on contracts and get some of those women owned set asides. Then give yourself a promotion.

Change your gender, identify as a woman, start your own defense contracting company, bid on contracts and get some of those women owned set asides. Then give yourself a promotion.
He doesn't need to change his gender, just claim that he now identifies as a woman.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
Diversity advancement is out of control. I'm having similar issues with my employer (a global tech giant) because the ONLY people getting promoted for the last two years are people who are not white and male. I sympathize with your predicament.
Heard it is rampant at Universities too (big surprise).
Best move I ever made was forming a small firm that does work for large corporations. However, whenever we come up for review, we do have to provide diversity numbers, which ultimately don't impact us because we are such a small firm.

He doesn't need to change his gender, just claim that he now identifies as a woman.

I was thinking about just walking down the hallway with another guy holding hands.

In this economy, you don't need a professional resume service?

Any hint on your employer? I work in defense too and would want to avoid your company in the future.

I'm potentially being considered for a promotion to an engineering management position at my current company. Since I don't have any experience yet, and those positions seem to be in short supply in this area, I figured it would be good to market myself as best as possible.

As for their name, it rhymes with L3Shmarris.

Reactions: redking
I'm potentially being considered for a promotion to an engineering management position at my current company. Since I don't have any experience yet, and those positions seem to be in short supply in this area, I figured it would be good to market myself as best as possible.

Do what Peter did:
tumblr_njtbu54jH91s372xzo1_1280.gif

Reactions: daneman100 and RW90
Same thing going on at my company—large FinTech. It is pretty sad that the world doesn’t just have the view of taking the best candidate for the job.

I mean that is how all the professional sports teams do it.

Small world. I was that company, but pre-BRAC at Fort Monmouth. After moving to MD, I was part of the agility spinoff, but then left after two years

Fill out your LinkedIn profile and start applying for jobs. The economy is roaring right now and there aren’t enough quality candidates to fill good roles. You’ll have your pick.
One of the things we talk about all the time being a managed service provider in IT, the number of skilled jobs have surpassed the number of skilled candidates. Even more so when it comes to IT security.
I am sure it is the same in other industries. But...I am not sure if it holds true to help anyone that is looking to move ahead internally. And it sounds like most in here talking about their situations seem to be in defense contracting or something else ties to local or Fed governments.
I'm a little thrown off by the process OP has to go through for a promotion as well and that the decision maker actually said what he said directly to him or his supervisor. Question for the OP, do you have a LinkedIn profile? That will be just as important as your resume.

BTW- I do see a lot of skilled minorities, women and people over 50 that are also having a damn hard time finding work. On the other hand, skilled millennials are moving about job to job, raise to raise, promotion to promotion at their free will.

Fill out your LinkedIn profile and start applying for jobs. The economy is roaring right now and there aren’t enough quality candidates to fill good roles. You’ll have your pick.

One of the things we talk about all the time being a managed service provider in IT, the number of skilled jobs have surpassed the number of skilled candidates. Even more so when it comes to IT security.
I am sure it is the same in other industries. But...I am not sure if it holds true to help anyone that is looking to move ahead internally. And it sounds like most in here talking about their situations seem to be in defense contracting or something else ties to local or Fed governments.
I'm a little thrown off by the process OP has to go through for a promotion as well and that the decision maker actually said what he said directly to him or his supervisor. Question for the OP, do you have a LinkedIn profile? That will be just as important as your resume.

BTW- I do see a lot of skilled minorities, women and people over 50 that are also having a damn hard time finding work. On the other hand, skilled millennials are moving about job to job, raise to raise, promotion to promotion at their free will.

I do have a LinkedIn profile. Though I'll admit I have no idea how to use it correctly. I've basically just copy-pasted my resume and job experience over.

Oh and for what it's worth, being almost 38 I'm technically considered a millennial.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I read resumes for a living.

Never used a service so can't speak to the value.

But certainly a little forethought and research can help improve a resume. Reviewing, editing, and spell checking all important.

Some like the ones where you list lot's of competencies and achievements not differentiating what happened at which employer. I hate 'em.

Some thoughts and examples here:
SHRM

Big companies like the one that rhymes with the one you mentioned are going to treat you like garbage. You're just another ant in an organization of thousands. I believe the "Smaller" company in Clifton got acquired a few years back. They're going to do whatever it takes to increase stock value and cut costs.

The days of working for a large blue chip company being the best option are long gone.

The new trend is working for a smaller organization (not too small, obviously) in which management and the employees are more in touch.

Reactions: redking
I do have a LinkedIn profile. Though I'll admit I have no idea how to use it correctly. I've basically just copy-pasted my resume and job experience over.

Oh and for what it's worth, being almost 38 I'm technically considered a millennial.

You can also change your LinkedIn status to “open to new opportunities” or something like that.

I believe they make it so your employer cannot see that status, but worth looking into.

Makes you more marketable to recruiters - also can indicate if open to relocation and where, if so.

Reactions: PRH_RU

But certainly a little forethought and research can help improve a resume. Reviewing, editing, and spell checking all important.

Some like the ones where you list lot's of competencies and achievements not differentiating what happened at which employer. I hate 'em.

SHRM

agree with this —usually chronologically make s the most sense unless there’s former experience you want to highlight for your next role or something.

Reactions: Knight Shift

SHRM
Good advice. In our small office, usually two of the members of the LLC will review a resume. We take particular note when a candidate has researched what we do and put something specific in their cover e-mail/letter to let us know that they have particular experience in one of our core areas of expertise. On the other hand, when that is not done, and we do a phone screen, when we ask the candidate if they think that they can handle the type or work we do, and there is dead silence, that is not looked upon favorably.

Oh my God Poor little Real. Blame it on da black folks. Just what Trump wants you to do. Maybe it's time you started that backyard chicken farm young man. . :WideSmile::Unhappy:Hi

Oh my God Poor little Real. Blame it on da black folks. Just what Trump wants you to do. Maybe it's time you started that backyard chicken farm young man. . :WideSmile::Unhappy:Hi

lol...

What I really need is half a mil in seed money to buy this property in South Amboy and open up a big kick-ass distillery.

You can also change your LinkedIn status to “open to new opportunities” or something like that.

I believe they make it so your employer cannot see that status, but worth looking into.

Makes you more marketable to recruiters - also can indicate if open to relocation and where, if so.
I don’t believe your current employer sees it but individuals may see the update. Always turn your profile to not viewable as you make any update. Turn it back on after.
The other problem is that too often, the recruiters that see you are now available often have a close relationship with your company and you could be outed that way.

The prior company I work for, the millenniums that they thought were superstars zoom to the top with 2-3 promotion after being in their position for 2 years. Older employees even if they were productive weren’t given a chance and in most case terminated after 2-3 bad annual reviews. Most people were gone when they were in the 50’s. Not for doing their jobs but not coming up with more and more improved processes in your job. Defense companies don’t really terminate anyone and not a lot leave and just want security.

It might be worth while to leave the defense industry if you have the abilities. The OP company is basically telling him he’s not worth it and telling him to find another job. Take your time and find a better job. I know it takes effort.

Last edited:
Plan ahead; you can always be replaced in most cases.

Join professional organizations with your expertise.
Join your college Alumni group in your area.
Get additional certifications and continuing education in your field.

Don't get attached to your stapler....

The prior company I work for, the millenniums that they thought were superstars zoom to the top with 2-3 promotion after being in their position for 2 years. Older employees even if they were productive weren’t given a chance and in most case terminated after 2-3 bad annual reviews. Most people were gone when they were in the 50’s. Not for doing their jobs but not coming up with more and more improved processes in your job. Defense companies don’t really terminate anyone and not a lot leave and just want security.

It might be worth while to leave the defense industry if you have the abilities. The OP company is basically telling him he’s not worth it and telling him to find another job. Take your time and find a better job. I know it takes effort.

Always remember: "I bill therefore I am" The secret to succeeding in defense is not if the company likes you but if the Gov agency you are working for likes you. If you have a good relationship with your clients, tell them you are thinking of leaving, they'll go talk to your boss and you will get a promotion, or they will find another contractor for you to move to.

Lester You are one of the smartest guys here. If you focus on it you can sell yourself and the distillery.. I am in a state now that chased Shiners for hundreds of years. Now they got smart and are handing out licenses to open them legally.

Lester You are one of the smartest guys here. If you focus on it you can sell yourself and the distillery.. I am in a state now that chased Shiners for hundreds of years. Now they got smart and are handing out licenses to open them legally.

The license isn't the problem.

The problem is convincing the wife that I don't need a regular paycheck for a couple of years. :)

Full disclosure...I'm a Nittany Lion, so I do not know what RU offers on this front. My wife was the Director of Career Development at a smaller school in PA and I assume RU would have an equivalent. If an alum brought her a resume and asked for a critique, she would go out of her way to help them at no cost. I know PSU advertises this service to alumni. I would be surprised if RU did not offer something similar or even help you off the record.

EDIT: Your timing couldn't be better. See link. RU Career office offering resume critique on Monday 2/3.

https://careers.rutgers.edu/

Last edited:
Reactions: Bugibba and Wolv RU
I have gotten my last 2 jobs through LinkedIn, so I would start with keeping a profile up to date.

LinkedIn is a powerful tool if you know what you are doing...Also- get the job seekers premier membership when looking for a job. Well worth the $

For us "older" folk...one of the lessons learned from being out of work for a while this past year. So many companies, and mostly companies started by Millennials, you know, the ones that offer lunch, fooseball and beer, most of them have their HR AI to look for resumes that have work experience prior to the year 2000, and eliminate them.
What I did list my chronological work experience to only positions held POST 2000. Any experience I had before that, I put into a separate line item that said "additional experience" and put no dates to them.
All of a sudden, I started to get inquiry/first calls, that I was not getting before.
I believe "age" is the biggest work place discrimination right now by far for all colors and genders.

One day about years ago, my wife -- completely frustrated by the floundering organization that employed her -- flipped that LinkedIn switch and was inundated with quality interview requests within a week. She went on three, turned down one offer, and accepted a job with another that brought with it the role she had been looking for, and with a salary substantially higher than she expected.

So, results may vary, but that LinkedIn switch really does work.

One day about years ago, my wife -- completely frustrated by the floundering organization that employed her -- flipped that LinkedIn switch and was inundated with quality interview requests within a week. She went on three, turned down one offer, and accepted a job with another that brought with it the role she had been looking for, and with a salary substantially higher than she expected.

So, results may vary, but that LinkedIn switch really does work.
This post, combined with the OP, reminds me of:

The only resume that is good is the one that gets responses. If you are going to work with anyone, if they can't get response for you, then you wasted your money.

You really need three resumes today:
1) One for ATS
2) One for humans
3) One you can tell face to face

Always remember: "I bill therefore I am" The secret to succeeding in defense is not if the company likes you but if the Gov agency you are working for likes you. If you have a good relationship with your clients, tell them you are thinking of leaving, they'll go talk to your boss and you will get a promotion, or they will find another contractor for you to move to.

I have an endorsement from our government customer in my promotion package. Doesn't matter if the people that are supposed to review the package never open it.

Reactions: RUJohnny99

Your director is an idiot if he told you that, whether it's true or not. If it's true and you were more qualified, that's bad, as that's not the way it should work and opens the company up to liability. I was involved in countless promotion discussions over the years for people in our dept. of about 100 engineers/scientists and our general approach was to utilize diversity as a tie-breaker and/or to cast a wider net, but never to pick a less qualified candidate. If it's not true, but the director is simply using diversity as an excuse rather than tell you why you weren't selected, that's a weak leader, especially as that leader has done you a disservice, both by not giving you potentially helpful performance feedback and by now potentially poisoning the ability of the actual hire to do the job with the respect deserved.

I was also involved in recruiting and hiring for the last ~20 years and have done numerous resume workshops at Rutgers (in the eng'g school; I was also the lead for 12 years for Merck's recruiting efforts for engineers from Rutgers, one of our top 10 schools to recruit from). My biggest piece of advice is to absolutely make sure you don't have any typos/errors, as that just screams out lack of attention to detail and I'd often just throw resumes away that had multiple errors.

Secondly, make absolutely sure your resume lets the employer know the few most important accomplishments that you were responsible for and how that differentiates you from others; also any history of being promoted or even just being given more project/leadership responsibilities even if not promoted (non-managers can still be effective leaders). Vagueness and talking about what "we" did vs. what you did and focusing on skills/competencies (which can be listed later, but shouldn't be the focus), instead of results and accomplishments, are red flags. Good luck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT