ADVERTISEMENT

OT: anyone else see this? Apparently it's gone viral and its bugging me out

I keep scrolling up and down on the OPs site link and yes now and I see it as black and blue after I scroll to pic of blue/black dress beow and then scroll up but each time I scroll up and down it changes virtually every time. I guess it has something to do with the eyes focusing on a certain way

Function of multiple poorly /un-controlled variables - lighting ... angle/framing of photograph / exposure / and individual visual perception.... there are misleading contextual cues in here as well

Apparently, properly & evenly lit with balanced or natural lighting , photographed with a normal exposure, with a normal perspective & framing - and nothing to distort the context - you end up with a picture of a black & blue dress - see other posts

it is a bit of an optical illusion

On my computer and with the exposure of the picture screwed up, it looks white and gold with the white on the blue side. The actual dress color is black and blue. So don't worry you are not color blind no matter what color it appears to you. That was the biggest waste of 60 seconds in my life.

Steve-Carell-Tells-Paul-Dano-He-Cant-Fly-Jets-If-Hes-Color-Blind-In-Little-Miss-Sunshine.jpg

Originally posted by RUChoppin:
I wonder what the overlap is between people who see the dress as white/gold and people who think our scarlet uniforms look salmon.
After seeing this dress thing all over the internet for the last few days, I am wondering what the overlap is between people making an effort in trying to figure this out, and people who don't research the issues before they vote (or don't vote at all) because "they don't have the time".

The fact that it is an optical illusion is somewhat interesting.

But the thing that has garnered attention isnt that its an optical illusion. The below is a neat and similar optical illusion (the dresses in each image are the same color) based on this whole thing. But had it just been posted, people would be - oh thats neat and gone about their day.

Whats interesting is that the optical illusion appears to come and go and vary between people and between viewings. Two people looking at it on the same device in the same ambient lighting conditions are seeing two different things. Thats what made it go viral. Its just so out of the ordinary, and calls into question alot of how you think about what you see (I mean no wonder eye witnesses are unreliable if two people cant even agree on something as basic as the broad colors of a picture of a dress.)

dress_color.png

Originally posted by derleider:

Whats interesting is that the optical illusion appears to come and go and vary between people and between viewings. Two people looking at it on the same device in the same ambient lighting conditions are seeing two different things. Thats what made it go viral. Its just so out of the ordinary, and calls into question alot of how you think about what you see (I mean no wonder eye witnesses are unreliable if two people cant even agree on something as basic as the broad colors of a picture of a dress.)
I agree with this.

Originally posted by rutgersguy1:

I agree with this.
It's not really that weird, that's the whole point of optical illusions. People's brains are correcting the image for them based on past experiences and sensory details, i.e the gold/white crowd is assuming the image is a darkened photo due to shadows and the brain therefore projects it as such, whereas the blue/black see it as an overexposed photo. This is exactly what der's example image shows, you correct colors based on what you perceived the background to be.

FWIW, the dress is actually blue/black. Here is a picture of it pulled from an online retail store and the original image when the exposure is corrected for. If you assume it's underexposed (i.e you see it as gold/white) the color becomes extremely messed up when attempting to fix it.

Yn5RIvg.png

Originally posted by RUGT:

I agree with this.
It's not really that weird, that's the whole point of optical illusions. People's brains are correcting the image for them based on past experiences and sensory details, i.e the gold/white crowd is assuming the image is a darkened photo due to shadows and the brain therefore projects it as such, whereas the blue/black see it as an overexposed photo. This is exactly what der's example image shows, you correct colors based on what you perceived the background to be.

FWIW, the dress is actually blue/black. Here is a picture of it pulled from an online retail store and the original image when the exposure is corrected for. If you assume it's underexposed (i.e you see it as gold/white) the color becomes extremely messed up when attempting to fix it.
I think it is. Like I mentioned on that National Geographic show Brain Games they do these kind of optical illusions of how our brains perceive things and try to fill in the blanks etc...using contextual clues and what not. The thing is unless they change those contextual clues from subject to subject pretty much everyone has the same perception of whatever test they may be demonstrating.

In this you've kind of controlled for the variables like background light, screen brightness, device used, etc.. and two people are seeing completely different things that aren't even close. It's not say people on "opposite sides of the internet" with their own devices, various ambient lighting etc...It's 2 people in the same room looking at the same thing on the same device at the same angle and seeing completely different things. I don't know about you but I don't come across too many things like that.

This post was edited on 2/27 1:00 PM by rutgersguy1

Yes. And I said the optical illusion itself isnt that weird. Thats not why it went viral. We see optical illusions all of the time from the time we are kids. They are fascinating, but not noteworthy in the way this is. If this were some trick where you flipped a swtich and it had a white background and looked blue and black and ten you flipped on the black background and its white and gold, it wouldnt have gotten nearly so much play.

Its weird that the illusion doesnt reveal itself to everyone in the same way and on such a basic level as the color of something. This isnt some complex and intentionally deceptive drawing that could be a vase or two faces. Its just a picture, and yet different people see wildly different things.

I agree with this.

ec

I agree with this.

I think it is. Like I mentioned on that National Geographic show Brain Games they do these kind of optical illusions of how our brains perceive things and try to fill in the blanks etc...using contextual clues and what not. The thing is unless they change those contextual clues from subject to subject pretty much everyone has the same perception of whatever test they may be demonstrating.

In this you've kind of controlled for the variables like background light, screen brightness, device used, etc.. and two people are seeing completely different things that aren't even close. It's not say people on "opposite sides of the internet" with their own devices, various ambient lighting etc...It's 2 people in the same room looking at the same thing on the same device at the same angle and seeing completely different things. I don't know about you but I don't come across too many things like that.

This post was edited on 2/27 1:00 PM by rutgersguy1
I'm not saying it's not interesting, rather it's just not that hard to explain. You look at the picture, and immediately make an assumption on whether or not the photo is overexposed or underexposed. This assumption comes from relating sensory details of the image to past experiences and physical characteristics of your eyeball. Depending on which assumption you make, you get the different white/gold or black/blue answer.

I think the best illusion i've ever seen is this .gif. which way is she spinning, left or right?

spinning
This post was edited on 2/27 1:26 PM by RUGT

One of the things that's interesting to me is that Buzzfeed did a (very unscientific) poll asking what people saw, and 75% of them thought it was gold/white.... which means that the majority of people saw that picture and had their brains correct in the wrong direction (assuming it was underexposed rather than overexposed), while a minority was able to see past the bad photo to the actual dress colors.

Except you dont MAKE the assumption - not consciously at least. And its is very unexpected and surprising and weird to most people that the human optical processing mechanisms vary so much from person to person that they see completely different colors.

Its not hard to explain WHY people would see white/gold to begin with. Its harder to explain why so many people don't.

And as I said - the fact that its NOT a designed illusion, and that it works on the basic level of color (less complex than shapes or motion) and that the difference is so stark adds to the interest.

Idiocracy is happening all around us...the dumbing down of America

And to the fool that ended the debate by saying its blue and black because here is the actual dress for sale on a website....they do sell things in different colors...
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Let me tell you all something:

It does not matter what color the dress is....it's friggin UGLY.

gold/white blue/black it's all the same U-G-L-Y

Originally posted by RutgersROB:

And to the fool that ended the debate by saying its blue and black because here is the actual dress for sale on a website....they do sell things in different colors...
Why do you think this is dumbing down. In fact if anything, lots of Americans probably learned something today about visual perception that they didnt know before.

I mean its kind of rich that you are complaining about people being dumb for talking about this, when you obviously spend some amount of time on this website talking about and debating things that are even dumber.

As for selling stuff - do they sell it in gold and white? It wouldn't be hard to see that on Amazon and in fact maybe the dumb person here is you for being a jackass without a point.

Who cares what color it is, its an optical illusion... Its not important one way or another is it? People care more about stuff like this then more important issues...

You can talk shit and call names and make fun about the 9/11 stuff i post but to say that it is just as dumb as the color of a dress, really?

There isnt enough art, science, music, literature in existance to save ourselves from the hypnotizing internet...

Im sure you learned a lot from the deflate gate stuff too a couple weeks ago

Not this!!! My twitter feed is flooded with this.

It is of course Blue and Black, as someone already pointed out that is it label as blue and black on the website, the people who posted the photo also said it was blue and black. It is 100% blue and Black and that is 100% fact.

So how the heck do so many people can't see that and think it is somehow White and Gold, since that is way off?

From the linked article:

Some people see the dress as black and blue. Others see it as white and gold. According to the store website, it's blue and black.

But for those who are still skeptical, i.e. the people screaming it's actually white and gold, here's why you may see the dress differently.

According to Pantone, the world's leading authority on color, the human eye and brain work together to turn light into color. The retina in your eye is covered with light-sensitive cells shaped like rods and cones. These are the receptors that filter the light you see into nerve impulses that then travel to your brain through the optic nerve.

No one person's arrangment of cones is the same, which will cause everyone to perceive color differently. This doesn't mean someone is wrong for seeing one color, and someone else is right.

And according to Thomas Stokkermans, the optometrist who directs the optometry division at UH Case Medical Center in Cleveland, the time of day and our surroundings can affect how we see color.

"Our brain basically biases certain colors depending on what time of day it is, what the surrounding light conditions are," Stokkermans told ABC News. "So this is a filtering process by the brain."

According to Dr. Lisa Lystad, a neuro-opthalmologist at Cleveland Clinic's Cole Eye Institute, people can also see colors differently based on their memories and past experiences.

The optical illusion, called the Bezold Effect, was actually named after Wilhelm von Bezold, who realized he could change the appearance of the color combinations of his rug designs by altering one color. It's mentioned in Josef Albers' 1963 book "Interaction of Color."

So stop telling your co-workers they are color blind. It's an optical illusion.

This post was edited on 2/27 2:50 PM by Scarlet_Scourge

http://www.latimes.com/fashion/alltherage/la-dd-science-behind-thedress-20150227-story.html

Originally posted by RutgersROB:

Are you serious? The dress is blue/black. It's been shown through existence of the dress at online stores (with no gold/white option, despite thousands of people presumably searching for it) and color adjustment. Whether or not your steve buscemi eyes confirm that is irrelevant.

Last night, at our monthly poker game, 7 of 8 of us all thought it was gold/white (or white with a bluish tint) and only one thought it was blue/black, so we all made fun of him. My eyes have been perfectly calibrated against the Pantone Color Matching System and it was gold and white with a bluish tine, to me. :>)

I played with the photo yesterday once I realized it was blue and black.. and Wired confirmed it for me today. it is a white balance issue. The photo was set up with the blue color being the white balance point.. whether that was done in-camera or afterward doesn't matter much. The way Wired said it was that whit the blue as the white balance point.. you saw the actual color blue popping in highlights.. and that was wrong. As soon as they used a black balance point and set the darkest pixel in the black/gold area to black.. the photo began to look normal.

We have all taken bad photos with inferior devices where the brains of the camera are fooled by difficult lighting conditions. This was one such case.

As viewers, our brains and eyes have evolved over hundreds of thousands of years to try to make sense from various lighting conditions.. to see tigers about to eat us and the like... in this case, the improperly balanced phto fooled our brains to seeing white and gold... because that made sense to us.

On one site I checked today.. if I began to scroll down on the page and the top of the photo began to disappear.. leaving more of the black/gold than white visible in the photo.. more and more I began to see it as blue/black

check out this Brain Games thing on color perception (great show btw)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT