ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Baseball Trivia

colbert17

Heisman Winner
Aug 30, 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
Name the only two players in baseball history who have hit 300 home runs but have struck out less then 500 times in their careers.
(Not that tough)

Last edited:
Name the only two players in baseball history who have hit 300 home runs but have struck out less then 500 times in their careers.
I won’t give it away. I only know the answers because I researched it. I can say my knee jerk answers of Ted Williams, Gwynn, Boggs, Ichiro didn’t work because most of them didn’t even have 150HRs. With that said, in regards to the 2 corrects answers, 1 makes total sense. Not surprising. The other is a bit of a shock. And should make someone on this board very proud.

Reactions: colbert17
I won’t give it away. I only know the answers because I researched it. I can say my knee jerk answers of Ted Williams, Gwynn, Boggs, Ichiro didn’t work because most of them didn’t even have 150HRs. With that said, in regards to the 2 corrects answers, 1 makes total sense. Not surprising. The other is a bit of a shock. And should make someone on this board very proud.

Williams was also my first answer. I also got Joe D. You are correct, the other is a little surprising.

Yogi Berra
5 times during his career he had more home runs than strikeout for the season.
Last season the MLB record for fewest strikeouts (minimum 500 ABs) was held by Hanser Alberto of the Orioles. He had 50.

The MOST strikeouts Yogi ever had in a season was 38.

Reactions: LC-88 and zappaa
Would be interested to see the strikeout totals if the check swing rule with the first and third base umps was in place. Watching the 69 World Series I laughed at how many huge check swings were not called by the home plate ump, but no checking with the other umps.

Three times a World Series was played in the confines of one ballpark. Name the year of the series, ballpark and the teams.

Three times a World Series was played in the confines of one ballpark. Name the year of the series, ballpark and the teams.
I looked it up so I won't reveal. I will say that I knew one of them with the year, and I knew one other but not the year. What I did not know was that one of the three was a rematch.

Reactions: Ronnie_B
New York Yankees vs. New York Giants when both teams shared the Polo Grounds for a decade. The teams met in the World Series from 1921-23 - the first two at the Polo Grounds. Yankee Stadium opened in 1923.

My other guess would have been in the 1910s when the Boston Braves Nickerson Field was used by the Red Sox for World Series play but that wouldn't seem to be the case.

Reactions: Ronnie_B
This switch hitter was the first to achieve 100 hits from each side of the plate?
Hint: I watched him do it?

The only other guy to do it I played against in high school

New York Yankees vs. New York Giants when both teams shared the Polo Grounds for a decade. The teams met in the World Series from 1921-23 - the first two at the Polo Grounds. Yankee Stadium opened in 1923.

My other guess would have been in the 1910s when the Boston Braves Nickerson Field was used by the Red Sox for World Series play but that wouldn't seem to be the case.
It was called Braves Field then and yes the Red Sox did play a World Series there in 1916, back then the owners were not sentimental at all, they just cared about selling tickets and Braves Field at the time was the biggest ballpark in the country so they moved the series from Fenway to there.

Rutgers football team used to play Boston University at Nickerson Field (a.k.a. Braves Field). They also played at Fenway Park.

Casey was a tough guy when he played.

Zap

Did you dad ever mention a catcher named Moe Berg, who graduated from Princeton? He died in NJ (Clara Moss).

Two players were standing around the batting cages and talking about Berg, who was a good defensive catcher but light hitter.

Player 1 said " Berg can speak around 15 languages".

Player 2 retorted " Yeah and he can't hit in any of them".

This made me think of your dad because of the humor.
But there was a difference. Your dad's humor was self deprecating and not malicious.
He was a gentlemen.

Here's to his memory.

Just wondering.

MO

Last edited:
This switch hitter was the first to achieve 100 hits from each side of the plate?
Hint: I watched him do it?

The only other guy to do it I played against in high school
First one I need a hint, did you watch him as a player or fan/kid?

And the second one, did he go to Summit HS?

EDIT: Oh duh, it's gotta be Rose on first one.

It's Templeton.
I also played against Willie Wilson in high school and Ray Liotta who went to Union.

Never Zap though.

Last edited:

Debunks the popular (and wrong) question of the only Yankee manager not to manage in Yankee Stadium

A question for Zap or any other Essex County baseball fan.
Back in the early 70s Our Lady of the Valley had two stud pitchers who I think eventually made it to the major leagues.
I think one was Vinnie Byron. Can anyone tell me the other guys name? I've been racking my brain, the little there is to rack, but I can't think of it. Also what year they graduated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT