ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Baseball Trivia

It had to be 1935.I knew that the Indians played mostly in League Park,but I had thought they played at least a few in the larger stadium.
Bingo. Indians moved from League Park into Cleveland Municipal Stadium in 1932 but after two years moved back into League Park, but they still held the All-Star game in 1935 at the stadium, soon after the Indians would play weekend games at the stadium and during the week at League Park until 1947 when they moved into the stadium full time.

Here is a photo of the 1935 All-Star game:

Db515T9U8AAX7uq

Let's try something different, listed below is 10 former names of currect MLB teams, one team has two because I couldn't decide which one to use:

1) Beaneaters

2) Bridegrooms

3) Colts

4) Blue Jays

5) Gothams

6) Perfectos

7) Naps

8) Alleghenys

9) Superbas

10) Americans

I did not wade through all the trivia questions, but I
have this one here..

supposedly, there was a play in olden times where 4 errors were committed on one play....

and all by the same player..... how could this come about?....

the player himself claimed this happened, yet no official documentation

Let's try something different, listed below is 10 former names of currect MLB teams, one team has two because I couldn't decide which one to use:

1) Beaneaters

2) Bridegrooms

3) Colts

4) Blue Jays

5) Gothams

6) Perfectos

7) Naps

8) Alleghenys

9) Superbas

10) Americans
I'll share the three I got right.

Gothams - San Francisco Giants. There were only three possibilities and I ruled out the other two.

Naps - Cleveland Indians. This one I knew. Named after Nap Lajoie. They later became the Molly Maguires, which would be even more politically incorrect than their current name.

Alleghenys - Pittsburgh Pirates. This one was a gimme.

Beaneaters has only two possibilities, but I guessed wrong.

Still have no idea who the Blue Jays are. Every search query I could come up with only returned Toronto Blue Jays.

1) Beaneaters

2) Bridegrooms

3) Colts

4) Blue Jays

5) Gothams

6) Perfectos

7) Naps

8) Alleghenys

9) Superbas

10) Americans
1) Beaneaters - Atlanta Braves
2 & 9) Bridegrooms/Superbas - LA Dodgers (Bridgegrooms was a nickname)
3) Colts - Houston Astros
4) Blue Jays - ?
5) Gothams - San Francisco Giants
6) Perfectos- St. Louis Cardinals
7) Naps - Cleveland Indians
8) Alleghenys - Pittsburgh Pirates
10) Americans - Boston Red Sox

I did not wade through all the trivia questions, but I
have this one here..

supposedly, there was a play in olden times where 4 errors were committed on one play....

and all by the same player..... how could this come about?....

the player himself claimed this happened, yet no official documentation
Let's say the player is the catcher. Bases loaded. Batter hits a grounder and the infielder throws home. Catcher misses the throw for ERROR 1.

Catcher retrieves ball. Runner who was originally on second breaks for home. Pitcher covers plate. They have him out by a wide margin, but catcher makes wild throw. Pitcher lunges for it but can only deflect it. ERROR 2.

Pitcher chases down the ball as the catcher returns to his position. Now the runner who was originally on first breaks for the plate. Pitcher makes a good throw but the catcher misses it. ERROR 3.

Catcher retrieves ball. Now the batter, who hasn't stopped running, breaks for the plate, where the pitcher is covering. You guessed it, bad throw for ERROR 4.

Reactions: wheezer
1) Beaneaters - Atlanta Braves
2 & 9) Bridegrooms/Superbas - LA Dodgers (Bridgegrooms was a nickname)
3) Colts - Houston Astros
4) Blue Jays - ?
5) Gothams - San Francisco Giants
6) Perfectos- St. Louis Cardinals
7) Naps - Cleveland Indians
8) Alleghenys - Pittsburgh Pirates
10) Americans - Boston Red Sox
For Colts, Houston Astros seems like the obvious answer but it is not. That team was originally named Colt 45s, not Colts. There is another MLB team that was originally named after the horse, not the gun.

Reactions: Ronnie_B

1) Beaneaters
Today's Atlanta Braves, They were the Boston Red Caps, Beaneaters and a few other names too. They played in Boston, Milwaukee and today they are in Atlanta.

2) Bridegrooms
Today's Los Angeles Dodgers who were also known as the Trolley Dodgers because you had to avoid the trolley cars to get into their stadium.

3) Colts
Today's Chicago Cubs who were also known as the White Stockings and Orphans.

4) Blue Jays
Can't remember this one. Maybe the Philadelphia Phillies?

5) Gothams
Today's San Francisco Giants, the owner also owned the New York Metropolitans of the NL-rival American Association and used the Mets as a feeder team to the New York Giants of the National League.

6) Perfectos
St. Louis Cardinals

7) Naps
Cleveland Indians

8) Alleghenys
Pittsburgh Pirates

9) Superbas
Today's Los Angeles Dodgers who were also the Brooklyn Dodgers, Grays, Bridegrooms.

10) Americans
Boston Red Sox who were occasionally referenced as the Boston Pilgrims.

Reactions: Ronnie_B
Let's say the player is the catcher. Bases loaded. Batter hits a grounder and the infielder throws home. Catcher misses the throw for ERROR 1.

Catcher retrieves ball. Runner who was originally on second breaks for home. Pitcher covers plate. They have him out by a wide margin, but catcher makes wild throw. Pitcher lunges for it but can only deflect it. ERROR 2.

Pitcher chases down the ball as the catcher returns to his position. Now the runner who was originally on first breaks for the plate. Pitcher makes a good throw but the catcher misses it. ERROR 3.

Catcher retrieves ball. Now the batter, who hasn't stopped running, breaks for the plate, where the pitcher is covering. You guessed it, bad throw for ERROR 4.

that would work

there was a third baseman by the name of Mike Grady would claims to have had a 4 error play....

for the longest time it was assumed to be fact, but recently it has come into question, it was recorded
as real in some places

1) ground ball to the third baseman, he boots the
ball for error number one

2) he picks up the ball and over throws the first
baseman in an attempt to make the play,
allowing the runner to advance to second

3) the runner keeps going and the right fielder
makes a good throw to third, which should
have gotten the runner, third baseman boots
it again.

4) runner runs home, the third baseman over
throws the catcher...

The Blue Jays are the Phillies. During WW2, the owner of Philadelphia held a contest for a new name. It never caught on with the fans.

The Philadelphia Phillies claim the longest continuously used city and nickname in MLB. They were initially called the Quakers in 1883 but quickly were being referred to as the Philadelphia Phillies shortly thereafter. Apparently, the Blue Jays changeover in the mid-to-late 1940s was never counted as an official nickname. The Blue Jays logo was displayed on the uniform over the words "Philadelphia Phillies."

PHILLIES_JAYS.jpg

20335040459_4faeaeea1b_o.png

philadelphia-phillies-baseball-pennant.jpg

Last edited:
The Philadelphia Phillies claim the longest continuously used city and nickname in MLB. They were initially called the Quakers in 1883 but quickly were being referred to as the Philadelphia Phillies shortly thereafter. Apparently, the Blue Jays changeover in the mid-to-late 1940s was never counted as an official nickname. The Blue Jays logo was displayed on the uniform over the words "Philadelphia Phillies."

PHILLIES_JAYS.jpg

20335040459_4faeaeea1b_o.png

philadelphia-phillies-baseball-pennant.jpg
Philadelphia Philadelphians aka Philadelphia Phillies

OK here are some Major League trivia questions about the movie "Major League"!

1) What three former MLB players appeared in the movie? I'll give you the obvious one, Bob Uecker.

2) In what stadium were the baseball scenes shot? Hint: It wasn't Cleveland Municipal Stadium.

3) Dennis Haysbert, who played Pedro Cerrano, is now most frequently seen on TV in what role?

4) At the time of movie filming, what was the actual top speed of a Charlie Sheen fastball (as claimed by Charlie Sheen)?

5) Who played Willie Mays Hayes in Major League 2? Hint: It wasn't Wesley Snipes, who chose not to reprise his role in the sequel.

6) What is the alternative ending which is available on the DVD? If you don't know, feel free to offer what you think a good alternative ending would have been.

7) What famous (now, not then) actor/comedian/producer played an insult-hurling benchwarmer, whose scenes all wound up on the cutting room floor?

8) At the time of filming, how old was character actor Chelcie Ross, who played the veteran Vaseline-baller Eddie Harris?

9) Which Major League actor played Bear Bryant in The Junction Boys?

10) What was David Ward's (writer-director) motivation for creating the movie?

EXTRA CREDIT: Which Major League actor had previously toured for four years as a backup singer and musician with Olivia Newton-John?

Apparently Wesley Snipes was a terrible baseball player. And Charlie Sheen in contrast was very good.

A question for Zap or any other Essex County baseball fan.
Back in the early 70s Our Lady of the Valley had two stud pitchers who I think eventually made it to the major leagues.
I think one was Vinnie Byron. Can anyone tell me the other guys name? I've been racking my brain, the little there is to rack, but I can't think of it. Also what year they graduated.

Paul Boris was from Irvington and played at Rutgers. I remember facing him in a summer league in the 70s, and he pitched a bit for the Twins. I don't know if he went to Our Lady of the Valley but the time frame is about right.

Paul Boris was from Irvington and played at Rutgers. I remember facing him in a summer league in the 70s, and he pitched a bit for the Twins. I don't know if he went to Our Lady of the Valley but the time frame is about right.

I remember Boris but I'm not sure if he went to Valley either. But I think he did.

Would be interested to see the strikeout totals if the check swing rule with the first and third base umps was in place. Watching the 69 World Series I laughed at how many huge check swings were not called by the home plate ump, but no checking with the other umps.
Seems that the old “the batter has to break his wrists” unwritten rule has been replaced with “the bat has to cross the plate.”

What former major leaguer played a police officer on a tv show along with Leslie Nielsen?
Hint: show was The New Breed

Apparently Wesley Snipes was a terrible baseball player. And Charlie Sheen in contrast was very good.
True. Snipes could neither run nor throw.

Sheen was a HS player who believed he had minor league talent, but no further. He felt he needed to get bigger for his Major League character, so he went on a steroid regimen. He said this helped improve his fastball by about 6 mph, from 79 to 85. However, he also said his roid rage got him into a few bar fights at the time. That, and his sensitivity to jokes about his Mohawk haircut, which he hated.

That answers question #4 in my Major League quiz. Nine to go in case anyone wants to take some guesses. I'll provide answers on Tuesday.

1) What three former MLB players appeared in the movie? I'll give you the obvious one, Bob Uecker.

2) In what stadium were the baseball scenes shot? Hint: It wasn't Cleveland Municipal Stadium.

3) Dennis Haysbert, who played Pedro Cerrano, is now most frequently seen on TV in what role?

4) At the time of movie filming, what was the actual top speed of a Charlie Sheen fastball (as claimed by Charlie Sheen)?

5) Who played Willie Mays Hayes in Major League 2? Hint: It wasn't Wesley Snipes, who chose not to reprise his role in the sequel.

6) What is the alternative ending which is available on the DVD? If you don't know, feel free to offer what you think a good alternative ending would have been.

7) What famous (now, not then) actor/comedian/producer played an insult-hurling benchwarmer, whose scenes all wound up on the cutting room floor?

8) At the time of filming, how old was character actor Chelcie Ross, who played the veteran Vaseline-baller Eddie Harris?

EXTRA CREDIT: Which Major League actor had previously toured for four years as a backup singer and musician with Olivia Newton-John?

#3 - Selling All State insurance. Was the president on "24".

#9 Tom Berenger

More baseball movie trivia.

1994 Angels in the Outfield starred Danny Glover and Tony Danza.

1. What two former major league players appeared in the movie?
Hint: One of them was a former batting champion.

2. Which two future Oscar winners had minor roles as Angels players?

In 2014,a 4 game Nats-Cubs 4 game series at Wrigley Field starting on Thursday featured a Saturday doubleheader followed by an off day for both teams on Sunday.What was the reason for the unusual scheduling?

OK so how can a team get two triples, a double, and two singles in an inning and not score

OK so how can a team get two triples, a double, and two singles in an inning and not score

More ways than one.

Triple, thrown out at plate trying for in the In the ball park homerun

Triple, tagged up thrown out at the plate

Triple, picked off

Double, thrown out at the plate on single or didn’t advance past third on singles

On the triples the runners were out at the plate, then a double followed by infield hit/bunt twice with runner on second advancing to third and never scoring

Reactions: cubuffsdoug

Sheen was a HS player who believed he had minor league talent, but no further. He felt he needed to get bigger for his Major League character, so he went on a steroid regimen. He said this helped improve his fastball by about 6 mph, from 79 to 85. However, he also said his roid rage got him into a few bar fights at the time. That, and his sensitivity to jokes about his Mohawk haircut, which he hated.

That answers question #4 in my Major League quiz. Nine to go in case anyone wants to take some guesses. I'll provide answers on Tuesday.
Snipes is a martial art guy which is a little different than running and catching a ball. He's more of an actor than an athlete. He went to the School of Performing Arts Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School.

#3 - Selling All State insurance. Was the president on "24".
Don't forget Haysbert was on the show called the Unit on CBS. This was 2 decades before Seal Team on CBS.

Reactions: Doctor Worm

Everybody who played in HS thought they had minor league talent. And, of course, there's no way that Charlie Sheen was throwing 85.

On the triples the runners were out at the plate, then a double followed by infield hit/bunt twice with runner on second advancing to third and never scoring
They could actually get another added single and still not score. Your scenario plus next batter up with bases loaded hits ground ball that hits baserunner. Credit for 3rd single of inning but runner is out

Name the only two players in baseball history who have hit 300 home runs but have struck out less then 500 times in their careers.
(Not that tough)

Finally noticed that you're living in Vietnam? Or R U a Viet Nam Vet?

Just wondering.

Just posted another thread about Baseball trivia.
I'll link it here in case the mods want to combine / not be engulfed by raging stat hungry, trivia pursing MLB fans!
https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/ot-lets-go-peps.197180/

MO:Baseball:

In 2014,a 4 game Nats-Cubs 4 game series at Wrigley Field starting on Thursday featured a Saturday doubleheader followed by an off day for both teams on Sunday.What was the reason for the unusual scheduling?
No one was curious about this?

Well,the answer is that it was Pride Day in Chicago.A local alderman requested the change because the parade was going right past Wrigley Field and that a large percentage of the population in that area was expected to be in the parade.
Since that year,MLB has always scheduled the Cubs to be on the road during that weekend.

No one was curious about this?

Well,the answer is that it was Pride Day in Chicago.A local alderman requested the change because the parade was going right past Wrigley Field and that a large percentage of the population in that area was expected to be in the parade.
Since that year,MLB has always scheduled the Cubs to be on the road during that weekend.
Don't assume no one was curious. It's more like no one knew the answer, and no one felt compelled to respond "I don't know".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT