ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best Cover

How can we all have missed the two greatest covers of all time?
William Shatner covers Elton John's "Rocket Man"

And if your head doesn't fall off your torso after that one, there's Shatner's earlier performance of "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds"

Live from The Vomitorium in music's past!

Reactions: batts
Agree 110% on these being great covers and loving punk covers. A couple of my favorites are "I Fought the Law" by the Clash, "Do You Wanna Dance" by the Ramones,(always thought the Beach Boys had the original, but just noticed it was a hit for Bobby Freeman in 1958) and "Take Me to the River" by the Talking Heads (same year as Devo's cover), and the Banana Splits theme song by the Dickies.

My friend found a various artists of Punk covers. It was released in the UK in the late 80s and had Devo, Sex Pistols,Clash songs mentioned. I'm pretty sure now the Dickies cover was on it too. It also had a cover of Blue Oyster Cult's Godzilla. It was a great albumn with tons of great covers. I've been searching for it online and at Princeton Record Exchange and a similar store close to work. No luck yet.

I can't imagine mine at a Pearl Jam or NIN show lol. Although her taste is improving. I'm sad I never got to see Alice in Chains...I'm a big fan of Layne.. RIP.

they still tour with a new lead singer who does a great job and Jerry Cantrall was the lead on alot of their hits too so the AIC sound is defiinitely there...would highly recommend

My oldest son is not really into music, and my youngest is not into rock music. I dragged my oldest to Springsteen and Twisted Sister (separate shows), and he was not moved.
I took my youngest to The Scorpions, Alice in Chains, Kiss/Motley Crue and Van Halen shows. He thought they were OK, but still not really into rock music. In 20-30 years, rock may truly be a dead music genre.

ugh what do they listen to?

Reactions: TM94goRU
My friend found a various artists of Punk covers. It was released in the UK in the late 80s and had Devo, Sex Pistols,Clash songs mentioned. I'm pretty sure now the Dickies cover was on it too. It also had a cover of Blue Oyster Cult's Godzilla. It was a great albumn with tons of great covers. I've been searching for it online and at Princeton Record Exchange and a similar store close to work. No luck yet.

Sex Pistols Covered the Monkees and Frank Sinatra tunes pretty well:

Steppin Stone:

My Way:

Three more of my favorite punkish covers:

Agent Orange — Do You Want Somebody to Love (Jefferson Airplane did it)

Descendants —Wendy (Beach Boys)

Seven Seconds — 99 Red Balloons (Nena)

Going to see these guys later tonight.

Dave Grohl produced (maybe played on?) the studio verison. Really cool how they repackaged and made sense of the gibberish from Roky Erickson’s original.

Studio

Unplugged

Original

Reactions: ivan brunetti
All time favorite cover:

Although I love the entire album, Grace, by Jeff Buckley -- it's probably in my top 5 of all time, this cover is not in my top 5 tunes of his, maybe because I've heard it 8,000,000 times. Either way, fantastic cover:

Reactions: Mod9a and Jm0513
they still tour with a new lead singer who does a great job and Jerry Cantrall was the lead on alot of their hits too so the AIC sound is defiinitely there...would highly recommend

I second this. They are still very good with the new singer. I've seen them 3 or 4 times recently.

One of my favorite cover songs is David Gilmour’s rendition of There’s No Way Out of Here... probably not universally recognized because the original was never a hit. Always found this to be right in Dave’s wheel house.

This was a critical solo effort as it produced this little demo with no lyrics that producer Bob Ezrin pushed to have included in Floyd’s The Wall. That song would eventually have lyrics put together by Waters and become Comfortably Numb.

Last edited:
Reactions: BABYBULL24
You stole mine hahaha..Love Tori!
Back in the 90's I was totally obsessed with her. Saw her live close to a dozen times across the first 4 albums. Biggest highlight was scoring front row seats for her show at PNC and then hearing her play Mother from LE. It was pretty amazing.

Reactions: Jm0513
Fishbone at The Tradewinds, roughest pit I ever saw, I was scared......I'm going to WEH in May to see the Hold Steady again

Most intimidating pit I saw was when Anthrax performed at Sayreville. A small pit, but there were some cats who just didn’t look right.

Written by Kris Kristofferson made famous by Janis Joplin but think Pink killed it. imo

Metallica - Whiskey in the Jar - old Irish song and Thin Lizzy version is great but this is better.

Reactions: TM94goRU

Sounds like a cool compilation - could it be this one?

https://www.discogs.com/Various-We-Do-Em-Our-Way/release/1118715

Punk

Tracklist
A1 –Sex Pistols (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock
A2 –Devo Satisfaction (I Can't Get Me No)
A3 –The Golant Pistons Friday On My Mind
A4 –Sex Pistols (I'm Not Your) Stepping Stone
A5 –Those Helicopters World Without Love
A6 –Hollywood Brats Then He Kissed Me
B1 –The Flying Lizards Money
B2 –The Slits I Heard It Through The Grapevine
B3 –The Stranglers Walk On By
B4 –The Hammersmith Gorillas* You Really Got Me
B5 –U.K. Subs* She's Not There
B6 –The Dickies Nights In White Satin

That's almost it ! At least I think. Find me a place to get that copy and I will never post on your weather thread again.lol
It doesn't have the Godzilla punk version though. But probably the same UK record company. Flying Lizards Money was definitely on it. And Walk on By

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT