ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bruce singing Thunder Road Over 41 Years

You missed the first part of my post, where I was agreeing with you on how amazing it is to see an incredibly talented band in a small, intimate space where you're usually just a few feet to maybe a few yards away. Which is another reason I like seeing bands that I like, but aren't well known - I have a huge preference for being able to see a band from reasonably up close (and for a few bucks instead of a few hundred) and before they've become big "stars" - as success often goes to a band's head. Apart from festivals - which are a cool way to see a few dozen bands - I almost never see bands in big venues, as I hate being far away from the performer.

Never went to the Fillmore, but loved the Capitol Theater...

I saw the Kings of Leon at the Starland Ballroom in Sayreville just as they were getting popular. Me and my buds sat at the bar within spitting distance of Caleb and the boys. You knew right away they were gonna be big. Not too long after that we saw them at the Meadowlands. They were still real good, but the contrast between the two experiences was kinda extreme. I never much liked the arena experience, although the big acts seem to only play those venues....and some of them can actually pull it off.

I recently saw Robin Trower in a bar that fit 150 people...tops.
That's similar to me seeing Todd Rundgren a couple of years ago at the Stone Pony and standing within a foot of the stage. Very surreal, but he still sounded pretty good for his age and the venue.

If you are wondering what the "magic" is/was all about and ya have two and a half hours to kill, then go to the following site and watch Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band at the Capitol Theatre in Passaic, NJ on September 20, 1978.

Yep, I know... it's in black and white. The whole thing is worth watching but if you don't have the time, then just listen to Jungleland just shy a minute or so of one hour into the recording and you can tell why he still has fans in 2016.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saint Puppy
If you are wondering what the "magic" is/was all about and ya have two and a half hours to kill, then go to the following site and watch Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band at the Capitol Theatre in Passaic, NJ on September 20, 1978.

Yep, I know... it's in black and white. The whole thing is worth watching but if you don't have the time, then just listen to Jungleland just shy a minute or so of one hour into the recording and you can tell why he still has fans in 2016.

I have a cassette recording of one of his shows at the Capitol at that time.I think it was '78. I was actually at that show. I always seemed to have a knack for scoring Springsteen tickets back then. A friend recorded it for me off of a WNEW-FM radio broadcast of the live show. It's one of my favorites to this day. And loads of friends made me make them copies of it.....until Bruce finally released a live album.

Awesome stuff. Thanks. He should be the State Poet Laureate of New Jersey, if not the entire country.

Thanks.

My sister had front row seats for Bruce, in an auditorium, at Ohio U in 1974. After playing Thunder Road, he handed my sister his harmonica, which still has a home over her fireplace!

Jealous.....very, very jealous.

Not a huge Bruce fan, but respect his work (even though I think Thunder Road isn't one of his best). But I see a lot of mentions of Green Day. My buddies and I have been to countless GD concerts. It's one of those rare bands that just kept getting better and better. They played at RU prior to Dookie or just after it was released. They were a great punk/alt band through the 90's, but really matured with Warning (oddly, the band really doesn't like this album) and then achieved legendary status with American Idiot. It you think of the bands of the early to mid 90's, not many are still around, let alone significantly improved.

Is how art and music are I guess. In the eyes and ears of beholders.

With Bruce, I just hear a bunch of energetic yelling by someone with a not great sounding voice over some mostly formulaic, simplistic music. It's not that it's awful. It's just that it's not particularly good in any way I can understand.

Keep in mind the top song for 1976 was ""Love Will Keep Us Together" by Captain and Tennille - "Rhinestone Cowboy" by Glen Campbell was #2.

I always liked Bruce despite his politics, Saw him in Syracuse once. Guy always worked a show hard - never seemed to just go through the motions. He also described once how "Catholic" he was and how it influenced his music. Clarence Clemons also came from a very religious background and both seemed to have a passion for trying to transcend mundane realities.

In Revelations God is quoted as saying being one extreme or another is not as bad as being lukewarm. So even if Bruce's passions aren't mine I appreciate he had passions (and not the usual sort where a musician is just a drug store etc)

"I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot; I wish that you were cold or hot. 16'So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth. 17'Because you say, "I am rich, and have become wealthy, and have need of nothing," and you do not know that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked,"

In Revelations God is quoted as saying.........

Strange, I talked to god this morning and he said he was misquoted there.
Something was lost in translation.
Seriously ? In a thread about rock music you're injecting your silly sky-god ?
Here's a more relevant quote:
" I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors
but I think that god has a sick sense of humor
and when I die he'll be standing there....laughing."
XTC

Strange, I talked to god this morning and he said he was misquoted there.
Something was lost in translation.
Seriously ? In a thread about rock music you're injecting your silly sky-god ?

XTC

Yep - and everything I said about Bruce and Catholicism is true - he says so himself..

Q: "And I hear that in songs like "Heaven's Wall" and even in some of your protest music, the version of "41 Shots" that's on the album, there's a lament quality to it, you know, and a trying-to-transcend quality.

A: Without overusing the word, you know, there's a Christian element that runs through it because I grew up Catholic and so I was indoctrinated in religious language between eight o'clock and nine o'clock every single morning for the first eight years of my schooling. Five days a week, every single morning, the first thing you did was religion. And so you grew up with that language and it was, of course, distorted, and screwed me up terribly, but at the same time, it made for good writing. And it was a wonderful source of metaphor when you went to write about the world and about your inner life and it served me. I suppose looking back on it, I would like to change some things but I wouldn't have had that any other way in that it's served me very, very well and continues to do so. I have a very deep connection to gospel music. I understand the language — I feel I understand the essence of the music itself."

NPR interview

Loved that. Thanks. One of a kind, Bruce & the entire band.

Yeah, I can recall back in the day when you'd go to a Springsteen concert and after an hour and a half or so you'd be all sweaty and a little worn out from the show and your hands would be sore from all of the clapping.
And then Bruce would say they were gonna take a short break and come back for another whole set of tunes.
And you knew there were gonna be encores too.
I could never figure out where the Boss got the energy to do what he did....night after night.
In a class by himself.

Yep - and everything I said about Bruce and Catholicism is true - he says so himself..

Q: "And I hear that in songs like "Heaven's Wall" and even in some of your protest music, the version of "41 Shots" that's on the album, there's a lament quality to it, you know, and a trying-to-transcend quality.

A: Without overusing the word, you know, there's a Christian element that runs through it because I grew up Catholic and so I was indoctrinated in religious language between eight o'clock and nine o'clock every single morning for the first eight years of my schooling. Five days a week, every single morning, the first thing you did was religion. And so you grew up with that language and it was, of course, distorted, and screwed me up terribly, but at the same time, it made for good writing. And it was a wonderful source of metaphor when you went to write about the world and about your inner life and it served me. I suppose looking back on it, I would like to change some things but I wouldn't have had that any other way in that it's served me very, very well and continues to do so. I have a very deep connection to gospel music. I understand the language — I feel I understand the essence of the music itself."

NPR interview

Saran.. Don't give it another thought... Some atheists "preach" a lot.. Rather hypocritical. And to position to imply that only atheists can be fans of Springsteen.. Just nuts.

Saran.. Don't give it another thought... Some atheists "preach" a lot.. Rather hypocritical. And to position to imply that only atheists can be fans of Springsteen.. Just nuts.

And some atheists just speak the truth......not some fairy tale they've been indoctrinated with by their mommies and daddies.

I figure I'll do some shameless promotion for my niece who was on both the voice and this season on the biggest loser. She released a video:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT