ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Business meeting Lunch in Princeton

By far the biggest question is why would you send both parties so far out of their way to meet in Princeton? It's about 1:15 for each party to get to Princeton, while the midpoint between FL/WT is about 0:52. Red Bank, Matawan and Woodbridge are all only a few minutes from the Parkway, not far from the midpoint of the trips, and all have some good mid-level restaurants.
Because those places blow compared to the Princeton area.

Yes....used to work in the area. Here are some places that might work for you.

Mediterra
Winberies
Teresa's
Yankee Doodle Tap
Brick House Tavern (chain) - Rt. 1
Alchemist & Barrister
Brick house tavern is a chain? Associated with the one on 518 just outside Hopewell Village?

The Tail is nowhere near a Dive Bar but I wouldn't think of going there myself. Seen Lawyers and Real Estate and plenty of other business folk there over thec years. Nothing beats the bartender making your own half pound burger in grill behind the bar!

Same for Conte's which is excellent and has one if not the coldest damn bottled beer around!
I typically visit both places at least once a year.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Not associated. Brick Farm Tavern is definitely one to add to the list in the general area though
The former Brick Farm Market seems to be getting a new life. The building reopened with the Ottoburger service. Maybe something else as well. Still the same owners.

Not a fan of Roots steakhouse but like the Roots Asian restaurant on route 1, which isn't affiliated with the steakhouses: https://www.rootsprinceton.us/.

Not associated. Brick Farm Tavern is definitely one to add to the list in the general area though
Preferred the prior 2 or 3 owners and chefs, and the old BFT menu. Not sure Zizak's are right for BFT.
Blue Point Grill is good for seafood
BPG is great but they don't serve lunch.

The newer owners killed what was a great business.
The Dairy Barn right near me on 31 at Pine Creek is a dead business now sitting there as well (same owners or they leased it out selling their local stuff). They came into Hopewell and put a bunch of businesses OUT (including my bros "Paint the Roses" Tea house near the liquor store..also sitting empty store front) and have now left. Beautiful stuff and that town leadership is clueless and let it happen.

• Sad
Reactions: Leonard23
The Dairy Barn right near me on 31 at Pine Creek is a dead business now sitting there as well (same owners or they leased it out selling their local stuff). They came into Hopewell and put a bunch of businesses OUT (including my bros "Paint the Roses" Tea house near the liquor store..also sitting empty store front) and have now left. Beautiful stuff and that town leadership is clueless and let it happen.
Love Pine Creek, but what the hell happened to the Red Barn? Surprised it closes. It was always busy. Used to get lunch/burgers and then do a round of mini-golf or local hiking with the family. Ice cream afterwards. Cool place.

Love Pine Creek, but what the hell happened to the Red Barn? Surprised it closes. It was always busy. Used to get lunch/burgers and then do a round of mini-golf or local hiking with the family. Ice cream afterwards. Cool place.
The guy that owns the mini golf also built the liquor store and the Red Barn.. he sold the Liquor store and then was leasing the Barn to Farm Market. Not sure why they bailed. I think it is the same deal with the Farm Market in Hopewell. They just decided to consolidate all their operations including the Sourland Distillery into the one place. Expanded and contracted potentially leaving empty properties (which are everywhere around here these days).

Another consideration is they got out when there were plans to put a cannabis facility on that spot. @Rutgers Chris can probably provide more insight.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Yup I know it well. The original Brick Farm owners didn't want to deal with the restaurant side of the business anymore just their farm Double Brook so they split it with the Otto guy. The Otto guy came in and ruined it all. They didn't have to change anything but they did and we see the aftermath.

Speaking of hot ..my brother used to manage Studio 27 for several years to ight next door.
He told just the other day that the guys from the Bada Bing club had actually come down to check them out when they were starting up things. Several celebs used to frequent the place including LT.. (#57)
That was one of the last clubs in the area. Such an odd location too right next to the Amish market tucked away in little Rocky Hill

The guy that owns the mini golf also built the liquor store and the Red Barn.. he sold the Liquor store and then was leasing the Barn to Farm Market. Not sure why they bailed. I think it is the same deal with the Farm Market in Hopewell. They just decided to consolidate all their operations including the Sourland Distillery into the one place. Expanded and contracted potentially leaving empty properties (which are everywhere around here these days).

Another consideration is they got out when there were plans to put a cannabis facility on that spot. @Rutgers Chris can probably provide more insight.
Definitely possible they are moving out ahead of the proposed cannabis facility behind the golf course. It’s a mess. I lost track of it since I moved but the former and current mayor allegedly worked with the town to rezone the area and put in a facility they have a stake in. Not sure where it stands. The other grow facility on the other side of the township is up and running and residents are going nuts over the constant skunk smell they were told would never happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: ClassOf02
Drove past that place a million times but my god it looked creepy from the outside
Some of the guys from my firehouse (many years ago) used to go there. The staff were apparently young women from Brooklyn via Russia. A couple allegedly had bullet wounds in their hind regions. I never felt compelled to verify. 🤷‍♂️

• Wow
Reactions: newell138

I voted to approve that expansion while serving on the DRCC (kind of like a regional planning board). Pine Creek was closed for a few years, then sold, and the new owner submitted plans to reopen with that liquor store and food place. Was thrilled to get Pine Creek back.

Yup I know it well. The original Brick Farm owners didn't want to deal with the restaurant side of the business anymore just their farm Double Brook so they split it with the Otto guy. The Otto guy came in and ruined it all. They didn't have to change anything but they did and we see the aftermath.
I remember the owners saying that they screwed up by business scope creep. It started as a narrowly focused farm market, but kept expanding more and more to become a restaurant and mini-grocery store.....well beyond just selling their crops and products. Also, the 518 bridge getting knocked out hurt them financially.

Also, I really liked Ottoburger at its original location down the road. It was a fun and unique restaurant. That move to the Brick building screwed up both places!

Was also going to suggest The Rocky Hill Inn a couple blocks from Tiger's Tale. However, they scaled back their business hours and are only open for lunchtime Friday to Sunday. Otherwise, Monday to Thursday they are solely open for dinners now.

Last edited:
Because those places blow compared to the Princeton area.
Once again we have T showing a complete lack of comprehension. It's a business lunch, so first off, presumably time is important, so why waste a collective ~45 minutes driving? And secondly, his first choice is Seasons52, which is, at best, half decent, so it's not like he's looking for haute cuisine - plenty of places at that level or better in the three towns I mentioned. Lastly, even straight up, Red Bank is about as good as Princeton when it comes to dining options, while Woodbridge is only a small step behind Princeton (I'm sure I've been to more restaurants in all 3 towns than you ever will); I'll acknowledge Matawan is bigger step behind, but given the first two points, who cares?

For a business lunch...

Mediterra
Agricola
Eno Terra - my favorite of the bunch.
Aspendos
Teresa's

Meeting House is a nice spot. Food isn't as good as the others I listed tho.

Seasons is quite good for a chain.

If you’d rather go in town you could try Agricola or the Witherspoon Grill, both on Witherspoon Street. Might take longer to find parking though.
this is the way

Definitely possible they are moving out ahead of the proposed cannabis facility behind the golf course. It’s a mess. I lost track of it since I moved but the former and current mayor allegedly worked with the town to rezone the area and put in a facility they have a stake in. Not sure where it stands. The other grow facility on the other side of the township is up and running and residents are going nuts over the constant skunk smell they were told would never happen.
I didn't realize you had moved out of the area. Where exactly is that other spot Chris? Far enough from the Pine Creek area that I could never get a whiff around here? Asking because we've had some real bad smell days of late and not from the farms dumping the waste fertilizer.

I voted to approve that expansion while serving on the DRCC (kind of like a regional planning board). Pine Creek was closed for a few years, then sold, and the new owner submitted plans to reopen with that liquor store and food place. Was thrilled to get Pine Creek back.
Thanks. I'm thrilled with the liquor store nearby lol.

Once again we have T showing a complete lack of comprehension. It's a business lunch, so first off, presumably time is important, so why waste a collective ~45 minutes driving? And secondly, his first choice is Seasons52, which is, at best, half decent, so it's not like he's looking for haute cuisine - plenty of places at that level or better in the three towns I mentioned. Lastly, even straight up, Red Bank is about as good as Princeton when it comes to dining options, while Woodbridge is only a small step behind Princeton (I'm sure I've been to more restaurants in all 3 towns than you ever will); I'll acknowledge Matawan is bigger step behind, but given the first two points, who cares?
Don't yell at me, the OP likes quality. :)

To respond and some of the posts have me reconsidering location...but to be honest- for my own personal travel- there is less risk of delays by going to Princeton. But, I may still reconsider and will ask the other person their thoughts on it- As for the business lunch- it is more like networking with someone I have known for years in the same business but havent seen in a while and to see if there is a way to use each of our connections to help each other out. The reason for me leaning toward Seasons is that I am familiar with it and have been to the one in Paramus many times for both personal and business- and have never been disappointed. The menu is diversified enough for everyone. Only down side is if you may prefer a beer with lunch- they only do drinks and wine. And it is a reasonable price for what you get

Reactions: RU848789
I didn't realize you had moved out of the area. Where exactly is that other spot Chris? Far enough from the Pine Creek area that I could never get a whiff around here? Asking because we've had some real bad smell days of late and not from the farms dumping the waste fertilizer.
The corner of 518 and Rock Road. The old “warehouse church.” I think it’s far enough away that you aren’t smelling it. You’re probably smelling the Fulper Farm’s spring fertilizing but maybe not.

The corner of 518 and Rock Road. The old “warehouse church.” I think it’s far enough away that you aren’t smelling it. You’re probably smelling the Fulper Farm’s spring fertilizing but maybe not.
Yeah. The Fulpers have gone wild last couple of years. It used to be one or two weekends..this past year was like 4. Full weeks . Big fan of farming but they are out of control with that stuff.

I'll have to take a short drive there. Only a couple of miles. Thought it was around there. Thx.

Reactions: Rutgers Chris
Rock Road is pretty far from 31. Many believe farming is only passive, idyllic, and natural. Not so fast! Most of it is, but plenty of examples to the contrary. Farming can mean a lot of things, which is why NJ Right to Farm laws have some issues (even though I support most of that they do).

To respond and some of the posts have me reconsidering location...but to be honest- for my own personal travel- there is less risk of delays by going to Princeton. But, I may still reconsider and will ask the other person their thoughts on it- As for the business lunch- it is more like networking with someone I have known for years in the same business but havent seen in a while and to see if there is a way to use each of our connections to help each other out. The reason for me leaning toward Seasons is that I am familiar with it and have been to the one in Paramus many times for both personal and business- and have never been disappointed. The menu is diversified enough for everyone. Only down side is if you may prefer a beer with lunch- they only do drinks and wine. And it is a reasonable price for what you get
You know I have no issue where you want to eat for your business meeting (although Seasons isn't my fave - we have one about a mile from our house - way overpriced and pretty narrow menu, IMO) - was just responding to T's dumb post dissing the towns I mentioned. My only real question was the meeting point. I get that the Parkway can be a challenge, but usually it's pretty good before/after lunch, plus you have alternates on the northern end, while the trip north (and back) from Waretown on the Parkway would normally not be an issue except in summer on Friday). I'd way rather do that than have to battle with 206, which sucks. The driving times are pretty big differences for a spot along the Parkway vs. Princeton. Whatever you decide, have fun...

Rock Road is pretty far from 31. Many believe farming is only passive, idyllic, and natural. Not so fast! Most of it is, but plenty of examples to the contrary. Farming can mean a lot of things, which is why NJ Right to Farm laws have some issues (even though I support most of that they do).
I’m about .75 mile away from the 518/Rock Rd facility, and if I’m being honest, I don’t smell a thing….ever.

you're over thinking this. just follow your gut and have a great lunch

Reactions: yesrutgers01
You know I have no issue where you want to eat for your business meeting (although Seasons isn't my fave - we have one about a mile from our house - way overpriced and pretty narrow menu, IMO) - was just responding to T's dumb post dissing the towns I mentioned. My only real question was the meeting point. I get that the Parkway can be a challenge, but usually it's pretty good before/after lunch, plus you have alternates on the northern end, while the trip north (and back) from Waretown on the Parkway would normally not be an issue except in summer on Friday). I'd way rather do that than have to battle with 206, which sucks. The driving times are pretty big differences for a spot along the Parkway vs. Princeton. Whatever you decide, have fun...
T is an idiot and best ignored. He is an attention whore-provocateur.

Reactions: RU848789
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT