ADVERTISEMENT

OT. CFP Championship Game Michigan/Washington

rutgersguy1

Hall of Famer
Dec 17, 2008
Rooting for UW. I think Michigan defensive backfield is better than Texas but Penix is so accurate if they can keep him upright and he can slide around I think they still could be effective.

I think Texas probably should’ve run it more on UW as they were quite successful but no doubt Michigan will not lose patience with the run. I think Texas felt like they needed to keep up with UW. I think Michigan will be patient with their boa constrictor style and stick with running it but we’ll see.

Last edited:
Washington is #10 total offense and has tremendous passing stats with iffy defense
Michigan is more the reverse of that - being #1 for total D (Wash is #97) and #72 for total offense.
Michigan #10 for time of possession and Wash is # 65 (about 2 mins difference)
Michigan #2 for pass D and #15 for sacks (Wash 104 for sacks)
Michigan #2 for turnover margin and Wash = #56
On screen Michigan has more balance but coaches can pull rabbits out for big games

Washington is #10 total offense and has tremendous passing stats with iffy defense
Michigan is more the reverse of that - being #1 for total D (Wash is #97) and #72 for total offense.
Michigan #10 for time of possession and Wash is # 65 (about 2 mins difference)
Michigan #2 for pass D and #15 for sacks (Wash 104 for sacks)
Michigan #2 for turnover margin and Wash = #56
On screen Michigan has more balance but coaches can pull rabbits out for big games
From an Athletic article interviewing coaches.

Pressuring Penix without leaving the secondary vulnerable is almost impossible. That leaves defenses with one other option, said multiple coaches: Confuse him.

From the article:

“If I’m Michigan, I’m utilizing a lot of disguises in my coverages. Pre-snap, I want Michael to see Cover 2 but really I’m Cover 3. I want him to see man but at snap, we’re getting into Cover 3, Cover 4. You press those corners, you disguise and you send pressure. That’s what Arizona State did. They were in his head a little bit. He didn’t have time to go through his reads, and it wasn’t as clean as he wanted it to be.”

That 15-7 win over the Sun Devils was the only game this season in which Penix threw more than one interception and one of two games in which he was held without a touchdown pass, and the Huskies didn’t have a pass play longer than 21 yards.

“Michigan is so tough on defense,” said one coordinator who faced the Wolverines this season. “They made Alabama one-dimensional. Their D-line is that good. They made Bama look like an average O-line.”

If Penix, in his sixth year playing college football, can sniff out coverages clearly before the snap and check into a different play, it’s a disaster for defenses.

“They have more Cover 3 zone beaters than you’ve ever seen,” one head coach said. “Schematically, these guys are incredible. I have the utmost respect for them.”

Reactions: ashokan
Of course it’s always good to play from out front but I think it’ll be more important for Michigan so they can stick with their run game and play keep away.

If they do that it won’t matter as much if their defense can contain UW or not.

Michigan looking good so far with their bully balll style. They won’t let up like Texas.

What is Washington defense doing ? They just gave up a TD to the cheaters from michighan in the first few minutes of the game !
They weren’t good against the run against Texas either, it’s just Texas didn’t stick with enough and probably felt the need to keep up. As long as Michigan stays out front or within striking distance they will keep running and being patient with it.

Kick the FG if you can’t get it in. Stay within striking distance for your offense and points will be at premium if Michigan sucks up clock

Not good using 2 timeouts. I think DeBoer is good but game management at times seems questionable to me.

This is more vintage Michigan under Harbaugh where their explosive plays are big runs not so much big passes

Running the ball for UW is almost a wasted play with a hobbled RB. Stick with your bread and butter.

It’s not their day when Penix misses a wide open WR for a TD essentially

Game is over if Michigan has gotten into Penix’s head like that

Surprised they went conservative the way they can run on UW. I’d go for it if I was Michigan.

Why does Grubb insist on running it with hobbled back. I don’t like these calls.

Who are you talking to no one in here
Happens in the game threads too during the season sometimes lol. I don’t like going back and forth too much between threads if someone starts one later and I’ve already posted info and stuff. So I just stay in the same thread mostly. People can read whatever they like.

This is like the Alabama game. Michigan dominated but only up 7 and in that game it was only up 3.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT