ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Chris Rock just destroyed Will Smith on Netflix

One of my favorite current comedians, at the moment, is Bill Burr. And some of my favorite moments in his recent Netflix shows have been when he basically gets right up to the edge of acceptable, and a bit beyond at times, and his audience clearly isn't sure how to respond.

In his most recent show, Burr is literally shushing people in the audience when they start cheering for a seemingly supportive statement he's just made, essentially telling them they ought to know who he is and that he's setting them up... right before making jokes at their expense that he knows will piss them off.

Burr will pick on everybody and anybody. But he's doing it as a joke, not a political statement. It's a comedy act, not reality, and he loves to shove that down the throats of those who forget the difference.
Did you see the video of Bill Burr in Philadelphia.

It was legendary

Speaking of comedy, I went to the Stress Factory for the first time in years last weekend. What a great club and an overall great experience heading into NB for dinner and a show. Definitely need to do it more often.

Overall I don't think that it was one of his better shows. The jokes about Jada were pretty funny though. Maybe I'm not hip enough but I didn't understand the final line about "my parents taught me not to fight in front of white people." It was a mic drop and the crowd went wild but I guess that I missed something.

Reactions: tom1944
Because the poster is suggesting we're all of white racist and can't appreciate comedians of color who are honest. . In the toolbox next to the hammers.
Actually this would have been my initial response, bit didn’ want this to go off the rails immediately. i think there was also the assumption that he would be spouting out a one sided liberal views.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Overall I don't think that it was one of his better shows. The jokes about Jada were pretty funny though. Maybe I'm not hip enough but I didn't understand the final line about "my parents taught me not to fight in front of white people." It was a mic drop and the crowd went wild but I guess that I missed something.
Its a joke about staying in good favor with white people. Just look at how Smith was cancelled…through selective outrage……

. . .
Also there are plenty of guys selling out arenas (Joe Rogan . . .
I like Joe Rogan as a podcast host a lot. And I’m not surprised that that’s where he made it big. Because his stand up has never been very funny to me. Too forced. I don’t think he’s in the same league as the best stand ups. Not even close. Without the podcast, he might still be playing clubs and looking for tv gigs. Good for him though. He’s definitely a hustler.

I like Joe Rogan as a podcast host a lot. And I’m not surprised that that’s where he made it big. Because his stand up has never been very funny to me. Too forced. I don’t think he’s in the same league as the best stand ups. Not even close. Without the podcast, he might still be playing clubs and looking for tv gigs. Good for him though. He’s definitely a hustler.
Agreed, I enjoy the podcast based on guests but his standup isn’t the greatest to me. His biggest impact on comedy is using his platform to amplify up and coming comics

I wasn't impressed with the clip. Good comedy comes with irony or sharp observations that other people can't immediately put into words but which they agree with when they hear it. He was basically just laying into Will Smith directly. It's completely understandable and deserved but not especially funny. Mean-spirited humor is blunt, good humor is sharp.

Not until this thread. I listened to half of it, but it wasn’t funny so I stopped. No idea what the context was.
That Philly/South Jersey crowd was dogging the 💩💩💩 out of EVERY comedian that stepped on stage at the Tweeter Center that day. Let’s just say that Bill Burr called an audible for his set and the rest was history.

Reactions: Rutgers Chris
Chris and Chapelle are my two favorite comics.

Chris put on a great show. Had some good parts about dating younger women, the Kardashians, and his family life now. I enjoyed it.

Chris and Dave always have a great way to tie their story together, I liked the story about what his mom went through in the South to where his daughter is now, and how they can bond over it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rutgers Chris
I don’t care about Smith or Rock, but if a guy makes a joke about a medical condition my wife has, in public, in front of all of her colleagues, and she gets upset, I’m not gonna laugh along with the crowd.

I might not hit the guy, but I’d definitely say something at the least. I think that’s reasonable.

Always thought it was funny how so many keyboard warriors got so upset by what Smith did. Rock’s a comedian, sure, but sometimes when you cross the line you get hit. That’s how the world works, comedian or not.
Chris explains why he was annoyed with her before he ever made the joke, and why Will was already a broken man before that night ever happened.

Reactions: Kbee3
Chris and Chapelle are my two favorite comics.

Chris put on a great show. Had some good parts about dating younger women, the Kardashians, and his family life now. I enjoyed it.

Chris and Dave always have a great way to tie their story together, I liked the story about what his mom went through in the South to where his daughter is now, and how they can bond over it.
DL Hughley is the best IMO.
Love Chris and Dave though.

Reactions: tico brown
Good to see a comedian take some real shots at people. For the most part, comedy is dead especially when you compare it to the Dangerfield and Kinison era. Sad that the PC world makes comedy virtually impossible to pull off without the threat of blowback.
The PC mindset didn't affect Chapelle or Louis C.K. The comedians that are complaining about comedy being impossible because of "wokeness" often aren't funny.

Just saw teh HBO special by Marlon Wayans: God Loves Me. Its about his relationships with Chris Rock, Jada Pinket Smith and Will Smith.. whole hour. It is a little hit and miss but overall pretty interesting and funny... especially his take on Chris Rock which he opens the show with.

Watched it. Didn't think it was very funny. More preachy than comedy.

Rock also needs to lay off the botox. Looks stupid and his face barely moves which isn't good for a comedian.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT