ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Civil War Buffs

Used to love the tour guides down south when I was a kid calling it " the war of northern aggression". 😂😂

This country somehow let Southerners tell the story of the Civil War. War of Northern Aggression is just Lost Cause nonsense. Lee was a great general (he wasn't). or that Lee was a benevolent slaveholder (another lie). Those knuckleheads also hate Lincoln.

This country somehow let Southerners tell the story of the Civil War. War of Northern Aggression is just Lost Cause nonsense. Lee was a great general (he wasn't). or that Lee was a benevolent slaveholder (another lie). Those knuckleheads also hate Lincoln.
Someone in this very thread called Lincoln a traitor in a different thread. Can't make it up.

Lee wasn't the saint many try to make him out to be, nor the devil that he seems like to others.
History being updated to show the flaws, ignored before, isn't something anyone should be opposed to , if the facts are right..
The truth usually falls somewhere in the middle.

Google the "Wilmington (NC) Massacre of 1898." Post-war south. Old Confederates in action, prominent citizens. Used a Gatling gun, effectively. Josephus Daniels founded Raleigh's News & Observer. A beloved Tar Heel.
Good book on the subject- Wilmingtons Lie by David Zucchino. Wilmingtons government was an elected group of white Republicans and blacks. KKK like group called the Red Shirts terrorized black voters, ran an armed insurrection that kicked out the fusion government , killed blacks and white Republicans and exiled a number of former white officials from the city threatening them with death if they returned.

Good book on the subject- Wilmingtons Lie by David Zucchino. Wilmingtons government was an elected group of white Republicans and blacks. KKK like group called the Red Shirts terrorized black voters, ran an armed insurrection that kicked out the fusion government , killed blacks and white Republicans and exiled a number of former white officials from the city threatening them with death if they returned.
origins of gun control

post civil war was absolutely crazy for my beloved America

Reactions: goru1869
Someone in this very thread called Lincoln a traitor in a different thread. Can't make it up.
well he was a tyrant and threatened to disband the Supreme Court as well as considered blacks lower than dust and abhorred race mixing. Lincoln's hands weren't clean and he would have absolutely kept slavery to keep the south from seceding. facts

Then you responded to the wrong post brother.
Two different conversations.
Looked back at my post - I mentioned mobs in NY killing blacks and burning orphanage in NYC and antiblack riots in Memphis and NO. Said nothing about firemen. Your direct response to that post
Said you didn’t know firemen were killing blacks and burning orphanages. Don’t know what “different” conversation you are talking about. You can go back and look it up, if you like.

Saw it on history channel where a civil war historian was talking about uneducated young northers being enticed to head south and be a renegade.
The allure of being a Rebel has always been a thing, even today.
Wait... When did the History Channel start showing actual history? I'm a bit skeptical of anything that channel puts out.

Looked back at my post - I mentioned mobs in NY killing blacks and burning orphanage in NYC and antiblack riots in Memphis and NO. Said nothing about firemen. Your direct response to that post
Said you didn’t know firemen were killing blacks and burning orphanages. Don’t know what “different” conversation you are talking about. You can go back and look it up, if you like.
You quoted e5fdny's story about firemen fighting over fire hydrants in your post. Maybe I read it wrong.
Wasn't being a jerk. Was genuinely confused.
Guess I missed something. Don't want to sidetrack a good thread. No offense intended.

Reactions: RUinPinehurst
You quoted e5fdny's story about firemen fighting over fire hydrants in your post. Maybe I read it wrong.
Wasn't being a jerk. Was genuinely confused.
Guess I missed something. Don't want to sidetrack a good thread. No offense intended.
Guess we both got confused. Didn’t go back to see what Fdny posted first - NYC fire companies had a history of fighting each other, but my post didn’t really speak to that in relation to mob riots. So no offense taken, enjoy the thread.

Reactions: RUinPinehurst
well he was a tyrant and threatened to disband the Supreme Court as well as considered blacks lower than dust and abhorred race mixing. Lincoln's hands weren't clean and he would have absolutely kept slavery to keep the south from seceding. facts

You consider Lincoln a tyrant? Most historians rank him as our best or second-best president. I get why people abhor 1619, but c'mon man, let's also shitcan the Lost Cause nonsense as well.

Reactions: ScarletNut
The outbreak of the Civil War even gave something to American Football.

About a week after the firing upon Fort Sumpter, a thousand members of the 7th Regiment of New York came through Princeton on the train from New York City to Washington, D.C.

The Princeton townpeople cheered them at the train station and the Regiment gave them their "skyrocket cheer." It was the chanting sounds of a firework being set off.

There was the "ssssss" of the lit fuse; the "BOOM!" when the firework explodes and the "ahhhhhh!" of the pleased crowd.

If you repeat the quoted phrases over and over, faster and faster, you come up with American football's first cheer heard by the Princeton side at America's first intercollegiate football game on November 6, 1869!

Last edited:

About a week after the firing upon Fort Sumpter, a thousand members of the 7th Regiment of New York came through Princeton on the train from New York City to Washington, D.C.

The Princeton townpeople cheered them at the train station and the Regiment gave them their "skyrocket cheer." It was the chanting sounds of a firework being set off.

There was the "ssssss" of the lit fuse; the "BOOM!" when the firework explodes and the "ahhhhhh!" of the pleased crowd.

If you repeat the quoted phrases over and over, faster and faster, you come up with American football's first cheer heard by the Princeton side at America's first intercollegiate football game on November 6, 1869!
THAT is awesome

thanks

THAT is awesome

thanks
The Tiger Cheer stemmed originally from the British Navy’s ‘three cheers and a tiger’ which did not mean shouting tiger at the end, but rather concluding the triple round of yells with a tiger-like roar.

Widely considered the only coup d’etat in US history

For those who have interest, check out American Battlefield Trust. They raise money to buy and preserve US battfields(Revolutionary, Civil and 1812).
They have some neat battlefield shows on YouTube.

Bugs Bunny! Bugs Bunny! Rah Rah Rah!
😂😂😝

That may be your experience, but I see this all the time. I am an investor in a family real estate development company. We hire a number of legal immigrants and American-born workers from latin-American backgrounds and Puerto Ricans (who are American) to work in skilled and unskilled manual labor. I constantly hear derisive comments that the jobs should go to 'Americans'. And guess who're the harder workers?
I’m going to have to agree with you on who the hardest workers are, and I definitely respect someone who’s not afraid to work hard and get their hands dirty, In my experience over the years the latin men & women bust their asses to support their families and I’m 61 and work circles around the younger kids , they just want to look at their freaking phone all day, it’s crazy & frustrating, I’m old school my friends I don’t get it 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT