ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Does anyone know anyone who has tested positive?

Not sure if I have it. Temp at about 100. Slight pressure in my chest, not a lot of congestion in nose and chest.

I’ll be keeping an eye on it obviously. Been sleeping on the sofa in the LR. Everyone else is in the family room. Using a bathroom only for me. My biggest concern is transmitting it to the family even if it is just a bad cold. Both kids home from college until the end of the semester.

Been working from home for the last week. PA shut down but my job is considered critical infrastructure so at a minimum they will be able to keep the servers in good shape regardless.

People need to keep this thread non political. It was a simple question for those who genuinely want to know the answer. All of the other crap just hides the useful information.
I hope and pray all is fine with you. Please call your Doctor right away and have them assess.

I think his point is experts are not always right...

Again, something is off with the numbers. Is there a chance that we already hit peak and don’t know it? If China knew about this since late nov/early December and we didn’t stop travel until Jan 21, that means that at least 500k people traveled back and forth without any knowledge of what was going on. This assumes that the virus were only coming in from China and other countries were not affected yet. then people complained of flu like symptoms and pneumonia and doctors didn’t know so they treated it like a flu. All the flatten the curve talk assume the curve started in Jan and is based on bad numbers because of the amount of testing at the time.... we keep seeing more and more positive cases by the day not because people are getting sick but because we finally have accurate information.

seriously how could cases be drastically going up in NY when over the past week pretty much everything was shut down?
From what I have heard over and over the past week from Murphy, Cuomo and Deblasio (sp) is that the more we test the more confirmed positives we will see. Now that we are testing more and the confirmed positives are increasing the same three are acting like the world is ending!! Don't get me wrong, this is a major crisis, but don't scream about the increased cases when that is exactly what you said was going to happen! Let's remain calm, social distance, wash hands, don't hoard supplies...we will sirvive!!

Reactions: Pancho1939
From what I have heard over and over the past week from Murphy, Cuomo and Deblasio (sp) is that the more we test the more confirmed positives we will see. Now that we are testing more and the confirmed positives are increasing the same three are acting like the world is ending!! Don't get me wrong, this is a major crisis, but don't scream about the increased cases when that is exactly what you said was going to happen! Let's remain calm, social distance, wash hands, don't hoard supplies...we will sirvive!!

something to note 86-88% of cases are testing negative

Thanks for your concern. Fever broke about an hour ago and chest pressure reduced significantly. If it returns I’ll call. Still will be isolating for a couple of days regardless.
Mind me asking about your health before getting sick.

Friends in NYC ICUs are already seeing the hospital admin stepping down protocols they are running so dangerously thin on resources and manpower. They are going from airborn and isolation to droplet and sequester because negative pressure rooms are all already booked. They are having to rewear N95 masks and scrubs. Using trash bags to cover their feet because they are out off shoe covers.

Was just told the largest hospitals in Ohio dont expect their MAX load of cases to hit for another 2 weeks, and they are well ahead of the curve. Their systems won't even accept visits at this point and are essentially at "about to die or giving birth" for entry. Their satellite hospitals in Florida are anticipating things to go nuclear because of how the state has been ignoring this.

But for 3 trolls in this thread that's JUST not enough right now to care because they lost their sweet sweet market gainz.
Your point about Florida is scary- outside of theme parks, they are acting like this is happening in a third world county and not in our own country. As of a few days ago- their health clubs, spas etc were still open as were malls restaurants etc...not sure about now, plan to call my son this morning but it sux. Even worse, when they do the right thing, it will mean both of my sons are out of work. Both are in hospitality

Not sure if I have it. Temp at about 100. Slight pressure in my chest, not a lot of congestion in nose and chest.

I’ll be keeping an eye on it obviously. Been sleeping on the sofa in the LR. Everyone else is in the family room. Using a bathroom only for me. My biggest concern is transmitting it to the family even if it is just a bad cold. Both kids home from college until the end of the semester.

Been working from home for the last week. PA shut down but my job is considered critical infrastructure so at a minimum they will be able to keep the servers in good shape regardless.

People need to keep this thread non political. It was a simple question for those who genuinely want to know the answer. All of the other crap just hides the useful information.
Thank you for keeping it real and hopefully the guys arguing about the other crap step back.
Hopefully you are feeling better soon. Yesterday was a little scare for me...started with a little cough, then slight pressure in my chest...but also realizing with the very warm day, it could be my normal time of year allergy symptoms too. A kept saying to myself, ok, watch for fever and intestinal issues...I was fine until right after dinner when number 2 started. Still no fever.
Went to bed to see how I wake up...this morning, feel perfectly fine just some slight pressure. No fever no cough...
Will keep an eye on it but very hard to stay away from family as we just moved into our house on Sunday and still unpacking.
Transmitting is the biggest fear though but to be honest, being 57 had me worried last night even with being healthy all my life. Nothing but age would factor in.

Mind me asking about your health before getting sick.

My health is good, not a smoker, not overweight, BP 105/60, age 55, good blood chemistry. I generally fight through colds pretty quickly. Have gotten the flu maybe 2 times before total.

As it turns out, after 5 days, last night things broke. Temp now is normal, any congestion in my chest and nose I expelled last night. My headache is gone and no tightness around my neck anymore. I don’t know what I had/have. I never really had any symptoms that I would call severe, like for instance, I never had difficulty breathing. To be safe I will keep isolated for several days. Not a chance on earth they are going to waste a test on me given my condition and lack of symptoms unless things get bad again.

The weird thing is that several days after a business trip that had me stranded at the beginning of February in Denver for 10 hours I came home from work with headache, high fever, minor body aches, and congestion. It lasted about a day and a half then I was fine. If not for the very short time it took me to get rid of it I would have thought that it was COVID-19. Instead I considered it a minor case of the flu alleviated/shortened by the fact that I received a flu shot in the fall.

I do think there is something to the speculation that this has actually been in this country since shortly after the out break happened in China with the rate of infection much higher than people know. I guess we will find out after the fact when this gets studied with a clear eye and not under the current stresses.

Anyway, I hope everyone is taking care of their families. Better to be safe than have regrets after the fact. Also need to keep your heads too. Especially if you have very young kids as this can be very scary for them.

Thank you for keeping it real and hopefully the guys arguing about the other crap step back.
Hopefully you are feeling better soon. Yesterday was a little scare for me...started with a little cough, then slight pressure in my chest...but also realizing with the very warm day, it could be my normal time of year allergy symptoms too. A kept saying to myself, ok, watch for fever and intestinal issues...I was fine until right after dinner when number 2 started. Still no fever.
Went to bed to see how I wake up...this morning, feel perfectly fine just some slight pressure. No fever no cough...
Will keep an eye on it but very hard to stay away from family as we just moved into our house on Sunday and still unpacking.
Transmitting is the biggest fear though but to be honest, being 57 had me worried last night even with being healthy all my life. Nothing but age would factor in.

Good luck. I really hope we don’t hear any sad news about anything happening to someone in this community. There is lots of arguments but we are all here because of our love for Rutgers. Heck anything that can pull together Eagles and Giants fans must be something special.

Good luck. I really hope we don’t hear any sad news about anything happening to someone in this community. There is lots of arguments but we are all here because of our love for Rutgers. Heck anything that can pull together Eagles and Giants fans must be something special.

You forgot to add Cowboys fans. Lots of us here, lol.

Worried about my nephew. Just got a call from his Mom(SIL) that he went into hospital for his yearly blood transfusion ( born with severe sickle cell) he was fine, released 2 days ago. Got a slight cold symptom when he got home - 29 y/o and went back to get it checked as he would normally do in his usual condition after a transfusion. They are isolating him as if full Virus and they are not even listening to him of why he is there. His symptoms don’t match the virus and has not gotten results but his health is always on edge. His Mom, a nurse is beside herself as they will not allow her to visit and they are not giving any information

whole family on edge right now. Toughest kid I have ever met.

Worried about my nephew. Just got a call from his Mom(SIL) that he went into hospital for his yearly blood transfusion ( born with severe sickle cell) he was fine, released 2 days ago. Got a slight cold symptom when he got home - 29 y/o and went back to get it checked as he would normally do in his usual condition after a transfusion. They are isolating him as if full Virus and they are not even listening to him of why he is there. His symptoms don’t match the virus and has not gotten results but his health is always on edge. His Mom, a nurse is beside herself as they will not allow her to visit and they are not giving any information

I can’t even imagine how difficult that must be in normal day to day life let alone this current situation. I really hope it is just precautionary and it ends up just being a normal cold or better yet nothing.

Found out I know 7 more people that tested positive. All of them were on a business ski trip together.

I can’t even imagine how difficult that must be in normal day to day life let alone this current situation. I really hope it is just precautionary and it ends up just being a normal cold or better yet nothing.
Just got the call that it is a “normal” infection he often gets from this. Still never good but at least it is something he deals with on a normal basis

Prayers to your family.

This is common sense. We lagged in testing. Now that we are testing we are starting to see more positives.

the good news is as more testing is done the more Dara we have and we are seeing all the terrible numbers that were thrown out in February are starting to get less and less terrible such as mortality rate of 1.32% which is down from 4% a week and a half ago, less contagious as previously suspected, less severe and 93% of people showing symptoms were negative... all good news.

the more time that passes and the more data that comes out we are seeing these look more and more like previous virus’.

Unfortunately, the father of a fiend of mine has passed from the virus. He was 89.

This is common sense. We lagged in testing. Now that we are testing we are starting to see more positives.

the good news is as more testing is done the more Dara we have and we are seeing all the terrible numbers that were thrown out in February are starting to get less and less terrible such as mortality rate of 1.32% which is down from 4% a week and a half ago, less contagious as previously suspected, less severe and 93% of people showing symptoms were negative... all good news.

the more time that passes and the more data that comes out we are seeing these look more and more like previous virus’.
If it stays above 1%, that is not at all like previous ones (and certainly not like the flu as some are still insisting).

Reactions: asgot
Unfortunately, the father of a fiend of mine has passed from the virus. He was 89.

Really sad to hear that. I lost both my parents at about that age several years ago about a year apart. I would be beside myself if they were still alive in the senior home having to deal with this. Especially how they appear to be limiting visitors. What a dreadful lonely feeling that must be.

Reactions: LC-88 and Mr Magoo
In times like this, there need to be more reactions than just "like" in this UI. Our condolences go out to your friend.
The seclusion and fear for seniors now must be awful. It was often palpable in normal times when I visited my mom in her assisted living facility before she passed in 2013.

Last edited:
My update from work today. Murphy putting in more stringent restrictions tonight.

"In the US, active infections are at 19,217 with total fatalities at 260. In the coming days, 1 in 5 Americans are expected to be under some sort of strict movement restrictions at a state-level.

Italy again posted its highest number of deaths in a single day, with 627 fatalities. Spain passed the 1,000 death mark with warnings that its health system is at risk of being overwhelmed. Germany has nearly 20,000 infections but only 68 deaths."

Your point about Florida is scary- outside of theme parks, they are acting like this is happening in a third world county and not in our own country. As of a few days ago- their health clubs, spas etc were still open as were malls restaurants etc...not sure about now, plan to call my son this morning but it sux. Even worse, when they do the right thing, it will mean both of my sons are out of work. Both are in hospitality

My daughter is probably out of work as well. Just ZelleD her some of my retirement money to ease her mind about the NYC condo she bought with $ from wife and I.

Now we have a 5pm conference call with 8 siblings to decide issues regarding my Mom and Dad who will be 93 and 89 in April if they make it. I am the sole liaison with them to reduce risk, but I am scared to death that I will transmit C19 and kill them.

Not exactly how I planned out my spring.

Just figured I would stop back in to give a status of how I’m feeling today for information purposes. Late last night I started feeling tightness in my chest again and a bit of a head ache. This accompanied some additional mucus I think. I do not however have a temperature. No heavy coughing maybe a slight tickle every five minutes. I am obviously still self isolating. I will be calling my physician today even though I don’t have a fever and my chest pressure has reduced some what. I figured I might be a real time case study for the group. I’ll let people know what the doc says.

Last edited:
Reactions: LBusDoor90
Thanks for your concern. Fever broke about an hour ago and chest pressure reduced significantly. If it returns I’ll call. Still will be isolating for a couple of days regardless.
14 days if the isolation need. And if you can get a plain may or wear a bandana you bet reduce your chance of spreading it even in close quarters...

unfortunately based on personal experience ERs/hospitals were already being over crowded without coronavirus... A family member of mine went to a big name hospital in NYC, they were forced to go through ER to be admitted. They waited roughly 15 hours the first time and 18 hours the second time before being admitted. Each time the ER had every room full with two patients and gurneys lining the hallways with patients..... coronavirus is certainly not helping this but we need to make sure that we don’t pretend we didn’t have issues in hospitals prior to coronavirus due to years of mismanagement and cost cutting...

Talked to an “on call” doctor. She pretty much recommended what I’m doing now. She did say to drink at least 8 bottles of water a day to stay hydrated. My symptoms currently do not warrant testing per their protocol. I am to call my primary care doctor tomorrow during office hours as he has details of my medical history and he will advise what if anything needs to be done next. If this is COVID-19 I can live with these symptoms for a week if this is how my body is dealing with it. I would not be able to forgive myself if I give it to someone in my household since they tend to have allergy issues and have trouble enough this time of year. The bummer is that if in fact this is COVID-19 I may never know even after I get better. It would be nice to know since I would be immune and could do all the outside stuff for my family without fear of getting re-infected.

Think about this. 1 percent of 10 percent is .001.
.001 of 2.5 million is 2,500.

Talked to an “on call” doctor. She pretty much recommended what I’m doing now. She did say to drink at least 8 bottles of water a day to stay hydrated. My symptoms currently do not warrant testing per their protocol. I am to call my primary care doctor tomorrow during office hours as he has details of my medical history and he will advise what if anything needs to be done next. If this is COVID-19 I can live with these symptoms for a week if this is how my body is dealing with it. I would not be able to forgive myself if I give it to someone in my household since they tend to have allergy issues and have trouble enough this time of year. The bummer is that if in fact this is COVID-19 I may never know even after I get better. It would be nice to know since I would be immune and could do all the outside stuff for my family without fear of getting re-infected.

FWIW. My son and DIL came back from Vermont two weeks ago on Monday with her being Ill, and then him getting sit that Friday. At the same time gave it to us as both my wife and I were very ill over that whole weekend too (Fri to Monday). Felt like I was beaten up and just wanted to sleep. But no fever and no chest issues. She wasn't coughing and I do because I have bad asthma. Some good dizziness which was strange. And serious chills (would usually means fever).

Anywho. it was gone in 4 days as fast as it came on. Never had the fever or coughing. My guess is there is as usual this time of year still residual flu and allergy seasonal changeover crap.

I get your point about knowing for sure though.

Last edited:
FWIW. My son and DIL came back from Vermonth two weeks ago on Monday with her being Ill, and then him getting sit that Friday. At the same time gave it to us as both my wife and I were very ill over that whole weekend too (Fri to Monday). Felt like I was beaten up and just wanted to sleep. But no fever and no chest issues. She wasn't coughing and I do because I have bad asthma. Some good dizziness which was strange. And serious chills (would usually means fever).

Anywho. it was gone in 4 days as fast as it came on. Never had the fever or coughing. My guess is there is as usual this time of year still residual flu and allergy seasonal changeover crap.

I get your point about knowing for sure though.

Glad to hear you’re feeling better as is your family. I hesitated putting my info out there because I don’t want people to minimize the potential threat of what’s going on here. After a while however, I thought that more info is better and people on this forum are smart enough to put stuff in context.

Two faculty members that I know have now tested positive at TCNJ. It took a while to get the tests.

Two faculty members that I know have now tested positive at TCNJ. It took a while to get the tests.
We have a person up here, lived with the first person (so far only) who died from the virus in the county. She was tested 5 days ago and has not yet gotten the results. She has symptoms.

Those that are skeptical should read The Atlantic article titled "Why the Coronavirus Has been So Successful" and the Wired article titled, "The Doctor Who Helped Defeat Smallpox Explains What's Coming". Neither have direct links since I read them through my Apple news app. As a physician, these are excellent articles for lay persons to read.
The gist is that the flu is contagious to the extent that every person that has the flu spreads it to 1.3 people (anything less than 1.0 and the virus dies out). Coronavirus (which is not remotely related to the flu virus genetically) is contagious by a factor of 2.3 per infected person. There is enough data in the world to back that number up.
The flu mortality rate is 0.1% and the mortality rate for the coronavirus ranges anywhere from 1.0 to 2.4%, in other words, 10 to 24 times more fatal. Hopefully, that number diminishes as more people are tested. The cruel thing about the virus that all the naysayers don't quite understand is that besides those infected that need ICU beds and respirators, are patients with other problems such as heart attacks, trauma patients, emergency surgeries, brain injuries, etc, that can't get a respirator or ICU bed because none are available. Those deaths aren't in the virus statistics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT