ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Does anyone know anyone who has tested positive?

If you live in middlesex county they are breaking down new cases by town daily

@middlesexcntynj

Multiple people in my Manhattan Office (same company) tested positive, first one was seven floors below.

no idea who they are. I went partial wfh friday, it was announced over weekend and went to full office closure except traders on Monday.

looks like they got it last week of Feb first week of march.
Which building are you in?

Yes it’s serious , deadly and only a month or so in US.... China ‘s (Wuhan) Hubei province with 60 million was shutdown or quarantined what about 3-4 weeks after this started going strong there. Shows still 81, 000 k have been infected with 3100 deaths ... China had 34 new cases since yesterday but not in the epicenter of Hubei...so the dire predictions you’re spouting

480 k in the US ... could happen I suppose but the pros really aren’t sure ... If we start seeing deaths in younger ages then all bets are off... Logically this could come back in fall or perhaps winter... There are at least 14-16 companies working and exchanging ideas with the hope by New Year a workable vaccine could be available along with anti virals like a Tamaflu...Need to develope yearly vaccines for COVID virus which will mutate for sure... gonna be interesting for the anti vaccine crowd.

What I find interesting is experts also said the world is done in 12 years because of climate change but not a single person panicked and not a single stock lost value because of it.

Good news. USA has tested roughly 82,571 people, roughly 8,131 positive(72k negative), 134 dead(7,997 alive). On top of that in the most effected areas people have been social distancing. So as testing increases these numbers will grow further and further apart.

What I find interesting is experts also said the world is done in 12 years because of climate change but not a single person panicked and not a single stock lost value because of it.

Good news. USA has tested roughly 82,571 people, roughly 8,131 positive(72k negative), 134 dead(7,997 alive). On top of that in the most effected areas people have been social distancing. So as testing increases these numbers will grow further and further apart.

Do you have a link you are using for those numbers? Highest testing numbers I've seen so far for the US are in the 42k range.

I get a daily report updating the status of infections at work. Below is what I received today. People who keep saying its only the elderly or the sick who need to worry should be more concerned. Also posted some positive news about China as well.

"In the US, total cases are at 9,415 with active infections at 9,159. In a particularly worrisome development, a CDC report released yesterday found that of the 508 coronavirus patients known to have been hospitalized in the US, 38 percent were between 20 and 54 years old. And nearly half of the 121 sickest patients— those who were admitted to intensive care units — were adults under 65.

In positive news, China reported that Wednesday was the first day without any new domestic infections. Experts have said that it will need to see at least 14 consecutive days without new domestic infections for the outbreak to be considered truly over."

So I ask again ... how many deaths do you think we will see from the Coronavirus? I was asked this question three days ago and I said far less than 150,000. If I can give a number, I think the medical experts should be able to predict a number. Especially since the medical community has unanimously announced we should crash the economy and end all social activities for a minimum of two weeks (I've seen two months in some places) to combat this problem. If the general public should be expected to just take the advice of the unanimous medical community (we're all uneducated rubes after all), I think it's only fair that the medical community provide a death toll prediction so we can gauge their accuracy when it's all over.

This is the most telling thing you wrote.
The medical community has said that 100 to 200 million Americans can get this. Either over the next 4 months or next 14 months. If it happens over the next 4 months, out hospitals will be turning needy people away to die at home or on the street. This is what we are trying to slow down.

if 100 million people get this. 10 million would require hospitalization. 2 million would require ICU/respirators and due because there is no treatment.

how is this information available to me and not you? Are you just choosing not to believe it?

If our social distancing is working, we should see a slow down here in NJ in 10-14 days. I don’t remember the exact numbers, but day by day counts of infected NJans were similar to....

If you went to college, you know this math goes crazy from here. Kind of like that math that if I give you a penny on day one and double it, in 30 you get a lot of money.

will warm weather help, maybe, but only to slow it then it re-emerges in the fall.

vaccine, everyone says end of year at best.

but here in NJ, I believe if social distancing works (because many people still have to work) we should see a plateau of our daily totals of infected people, in a couple weeks.

Last edited:
The medical community has said that 100 to 200 million Americans can get this. Either over the next 4 months or next 14 months. If it happens over the next 4 months, out hospitals will be turning needy people away to die at home or on the street. This is what we are trying to slow down.

if 100 million people get this. 10 million would require hospitalization. 2 million would require ICU/respirators and due because there is no treatment.

how is this information available to me and not you? Are you just choosing not to believe it?

If our social distancing is working, we should see a slow down here in NJ in 10-14 days. I don’t remember the exact numbers, but day by day counts of infected NJans were similar to....

If you went to college, you know this math goes crazy from here. Kind of like that math that if I give you a penny on day one and double it, in 30 you hit a lot of money.

will warm weather help, maybe, but only to slow it then it re-emerges in the fall.

but here in NJ, I believe if social distancing works (because many people still have to work) we should see a plateau of our daily totals of infected people, in a couple weeks.

Swine flu had 60M cases and no one batted an eye. Not one hospital was overrun and not one cent was lost in the stock market....

the only difference is the hysteria around it.

As I said

If you went to college, you know this math goes crazy from here. Kind of like that math that if I give you a penny on day one and double it, in 30 you hit a lot of money.

As I said above, I get daily reports at work. Here is the latest report I received on NY and NJ.

"New York State saw cases rise to 2,382 ( +1008 since yesterday, a 73% increase). Cases in New York City rose to 1,339 cases (+695 since yesterday, a 108% increase). We will continue to see these numbers rise as testing is further expanded in the state.

In response, Gov. Cuomo enacted a mandatory statewide requirement that no more than 50% of employees at any business in the state can report to work at one time (exempting delivery, health care, and other critical services).

New Jersey saw cases rise to 427 (+160 since yesterday, a 60% increase), which comes as the state begins to expand its testing capabilities. "

Reactions: briccnerff
Media has already made it impossible to not give trump tons off credit and call him a hero. They set the bar too high. They have already made this the biggest crisis in American history since WW2. Worse than 9/11, worse than 08 financial crisis.... China has 4K or so dead experts in USA saying we can expect 480k minimum by end of year and our economy is going to burn down to the ground...

You can criticize and make conclusions about people on the board for not taking the media’s word for it hook, line and sinker but the media has been wrong/deceptive a lot over the last 3 years. They have lost credibility. Don’t blame me blame them for accusing a 17 year old kid for being racist, or when they talked about the trump pee tape, or down played the killing of terrorists or called trump xenophobic for stopping flight from China.... Again China has 4K dead and experts predicting 480k in USA by end of year minimum. Some things are not adding up. So excuse me if I am a bit hesitant to be all in on the numbers...
I am a moderate. I was ready to vote Democrat but I could not vote for Hillary. I immediately regretted voting for trump. But, even though he started slow, I think he has done a good job as of late (pertaining to covid-19). Absolutely, if this social distancing works, or if he as able to get tons of new respirators and ICUs up and running, and the slow down keeps our hospitals from being overrun, then yes, he would deserve a ton of credit. I also see that he is so worried about the economy (legacy), but no one reasonable person would blame a recession on him with covid-19. Its obvious that this is affecting the world economy not just ours.

Last edited:
As I said

As I said above, I get daily reports at work. Here is the latest report I received on NY and NJ.

"New York State saw cases rise to 2,382 ( +1008 since yesterday, a 73% increase). Cases in New York City rose to 1,339 cases (+695 since yesterday, a 108% increase). We will continue to see these numbers rise as testing is further expanded in the state.

In response, Gov. Cuomo enacted a mandatory statewide requirement that no more than 50% of employees at any business in the state can report to work at one time (exempting delivery, health care, and other critical services).

New Jersey saw cases rise to 427 (+160 since yesterday, a 60% increase), which comes as the state begins to expand its testing capabilities. "

these increase and increases over the next week mean nothing. The only reason we are seeing huge jumps is because of more tests are available...

Reactions: bac2therac
I am a moderate. I was ready to vote Democrat but I could not vote for Hillary. I immediately regretted voting for trump. But, even though he started slow, I think he has done a good job as of late (pertaining to covid-19). Absolutely, if this social distancing works, or if he as able to get tons of new respirators and ICUs up and running, and the slow down keeps our hospitals from being overrun, then yes, he would deserve a ton of credit. I also see that he is so worried about the economy (legacy), but no one reasonable person would blame a recession on him with covid-19. Its obvious that this is affecting the world economy not just ours.

Unfortunate the media will put the economy on his back because of this. They already have started and wait until it gets close the election. The sad truth is they all know their was no preventing this...

this is why I call it hysteria. I was watching my local news in last night. They had a lady on crying because they won’t test her. What does she say her symptoms are? Shortness of breathe... this may sound mean but you could tell she was at least 50+ pound overweight... this is the problem. This is what panic does to people...

Did you click all their links and where they get their data... probably not but per cdc 7,000 cases 94 deaths...

Yes, that's old data. CDC reports each day at noon on weekdays, based on prior day numbers. Right now their site is showing the noon report out from 3/18, which is numbers as of 4pm on 3/17. But the CDC site also says that there had only been 37,824 tests at that point, too.

1. He didn’t start slow, he was hyper partisan and called the reporting a media hoax.
2. It’s a lot easier to blame a recession on him and the Republicans in Congress if you understand economics and realize that they’ve used up most of the levers to get us out of a recession in order to prop up the economy without actually fixing structural issues.
3. You are not a moderate if you voted for Trump and are considering voting for him again, given what we’ve seen and heard from him over the past 4 years.
Ok I’ll change my political status

As I said

That was foretold a week ago ... the more tested the higher the likelihood of an increase... it is what we should have suspected and they were correct...Thanks China for your neighborly help...

these increase and increases over the next week mean nothing. The only reason we are seeing huge jumps is because of more tests are available...
I didn't make any comment what was causing the increase. Given we are doing more testing, then increase is probably due to increase in the amount of testing not amount of people getting sick. I'm on my corporate group charged with managing this issue so I see a status on the numbers daily (across the world). I was just passing on info I was aware not making any judgements or conclusions.

Reactions: RUBOWLMAN78
Latest numbers I just received. 11% of the people being tested are showing positive. That is not a true reflection on population as a whole as most of these people are being tested because they show symptons.

"In New York City, confirmed cases rose to 3,615 (+2,276 since yesterday, a 170% increase since yesterday). Mayor De Blasio announced the number of people hospitalized in NYC stands at 554 with 169 in the intensive care unit (~30% of hospitalizations in the ICU). There are 980 cases in Queens, 976 in Manhattan, 1030 in Brooklyn, 436 in the Bronx, and 165 in Staten Island.

In New Jersey, cases rose to 742 (+315 since yesterday, a 74% increase). In response, Governor Murphey expanded restrictions on businesses, closing personal-care businesses that "cannot comply with social distancing guidelines," including barbershops, hair salons, and spas. "

Just a heads up, I now know someone who has tested positive. My coworker who sits about 3 offices away. He’s low 30’s male. Very good shape, does triathlons and stuff. He was hospitalized for 4 days with pneumonia and breathing issues. pretty scary.
he’s home now and improving

Just a heads up, I now know someone who has tested positive. My coworker who sits about 3 offices away. He’s low 30’s male. Very good shape, does triathlons and stuff. He was hospitalized for 4 days with pneumonia and breathing issues. pretty scary.
he’s home now and improving
Crap

Got this e-mail a little while ago here in Somerset, 10 minutes from RU.
Tom Merklinger (mail@notify.onecallnow.com)To:you Details
Notification from: Canal Walk HOA

Dear Residents:

Based on the advice of counsel, please accept this correspondence to advise that two occupants in two different homes within the Canal Walk Homeowners Association, Inc. (the “Association”) have been diagnosed with COVID-19. It is the Association’s understanding that one occupant is self-quarantined and the other occupant is in the hospital.

Attached is the CDC Coronavirus Guide. The CDC and New Jersey government websites: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/ and nj.gov provide information on how the virus spreads, symptoms, steps to prevent illness, what to do if you are sick along with additional information and answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs). Go to the CDC and nj.gov websites regularly for updated information.

All members should take the precautions recommended by the CDC, nj.gov and their healthcare professionals. Please note, that the Board and Management are prohibited from releasing or disclosing the identifies of the diagnosed persons.

The Association wishes all its members to remain healthy and safe. Thank you.

Canal Walk Board of Directors

Also, talked to my daughter just now. She is head nurse honcho(and 4 months pregnant) @ Urgent Care on rte 18 in E.Brunswick, and Franklin Twsp, Somerset. She said virus is all over, stay inside if possible.

Got word tonight Pennsylvania shut down all businesses not involved with sustaining life. My company is in the process of shutting down 3 manufacturing plants in PA and may have to shut one in Maryland who get raw materials from PA companies. California also going to state wide stay at home order.

No actual climate scientists said anything was ending in 12 years. Please. You’re embarrassing yourself.

No actual climate scientists said anything was ending in 12 years. Please. You’re embarrassing yourself.

In 2009, Al Gore said there was a 75% likelihood that the North Pole would lose all its ice within 5 to 7 years. How'd that one turn out?

In 2009, Al Gore said there was a 75% likelihood that the North Pole would lose all its ice within 5 to 7 years. How'd that one turn out?
You’re the one who didn’t believe me a few days ago when I said hospitals were overrun. Keep that head in the sand, very helpful.

Reactions: RutCorRx
List his credentials that make him an actual climate scientist. I’ll wait.
Yes, politicians often need to be ignored. The journals from real scientists out there are available to anyone willing to read them.

Reactions: KevH and Scarlet83
This is the update I received this morning.

"Total US infections stand at 14,250 (cumulative) and 13,924 (active). California Gov. Gavin Newsom yesterday ordered all 40M Californians to stay at home as much as possible in the coming weeks. Newsom cited an infection model that state planners have been using, suggesting that 56 percent of Californians, or more than 25 million people, could be infected over eight weeks.

In New York, from Wednesday night to Thursday morning, the state processed the tests of 7,584 people. The testing has increased as dozens of private laboratories in the state received authorization to test for the virus. There are now three drive-in testing sites now operational in the state.

China again posted the 2nd day in a row with no new infections. Hong Kong, however, reported 48 new cases -- the largest daily spike since the crisis began -- largely as a result of returning travelers."

I know this is very OT but just by some bizarre, slim chance you are interested in what real scientists are finding to be true with direct study in Greenland and in Antarctica nowadays, it's all in these (with Rutgers work prominently featured in the 2nd)...

Also, talked to my daughter just now. She is head nurse honcho(and 4 months pregnant) @ Urgent Care on rte 18 in E.Brunswick, and Franklin Twsp, Somerset. She said virus is all over, stay inside if possible.
Can we quantify what her facility has seen?
15?
30?
100?
More?

what exactly is your point in all of this?

do you have any friends or family in health care? I can tell you that doctors and nurses are already spent and we havent even hit our spikes yet.

what part of our healthcare system being overrun do you not understand?

are you being intentionally thick here?

As luck has it for me...I go into our WeWork office in Manhattan every 2 months or so. I was there on March 3rd.
I get a notice a couple days ago that a WeWork Employee from that location tested positive. They gave the 3 days that person was at work and of course- March 3rd was one of them. My office is on the 6th floor and it looks like the 1st, 7th, 10th floors were being washed down.
I called my Dr, Valley and Englewood Hospitals and that did not qualify me for a test without serious symptoms. So- I have self isolated.

what exactly is your point in all of this?

do you have any friends or family in health care? I can tell you that doctors and nurses are already spent and we havent even hit our spikes yet.

what part of our healthcare system being overrun do you not understand?

are you being intentionally thick here?

I think his point is experts are not always right...

Again, something is off with the numbers. Is there a chance that we already hit peak and don’t know it? If China knew about this since late nov/early December and we didn’t stop travel until Jan 21, that means that at least 500k people traveled back and forth without any knowledge of what was going on. This assumes that the virus were only coming in from China and other countries were not affected yet. then people complained of flu like symptoms and pneumonia and doctors didn’t know so they treated it like a flu. All the flatten the curve talk assume the curve started in Jan and is based on bad numbers because of the amount of testing at the time.... we keep seeing more and more positive cases by the day not because people are getting sick but because we finally have accurate information.

seriously how could cases be drastically going up in NY when over the past week pretty much everything was shut down?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT