ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Does Beyoncé's new song Texas Hold 'Em fall into the country genre?

Is her new song truly a country song?

• Total voters

Giddens, an Oberlin Conservatory trained opera major, fronted the Carolina Chocolate Drops, a fabulous bluegrass group. I was lucky to see them when I lived in Madison, and again with Giddens and some former members of the group in Charleston SC.

if you’re not familiar with with her or the group look up her/their performances on YouTube.

The focus on race regarding this song is predictable and emblematic of the times we live in. I was fortunate, having grown up listening to the “Golden Era” of rock music from the mid 60’s through early 70’s. The beauty of that era is that it was a veritable melting pot of sound. A cacophony of “cross pollenization” musical sound and style. The fact is from the beginning, both Northern European ( Scotch/ Irish folk) music combined with African American Blues/Gospel music to form what would become “Country” and “Rhythm and Blues” . Jimmie Rodgers “The Father of Country Music”. was influenced by early Blues singers. Hank Williams Sr was also influenced by Blues singers/musicians. McKinley Morganfield aka “Muddy Waters” the great Blues singer was influenced by Jimmie Rodgers, the “Country” singer. Music is in the air and rises above man made barriers.
One of my best friends...who is in his 40s...has thumbed through my extensive vinyl record collection and opined that he grew up in the wrong era musically....should have been the mid 60s thru early 70s. Of course he gets more jealous when I tell him about hanging in NYC, walking past the Fillmore, seeing a great band was playing, and for a couple of bucks getting tickets.
It was a different time.
BTW, he gets real jealous when I start talking about Woodstock or Strawberry Fields.

Reactions: RUGuitarMan
To the point of this thread, I am neither a fan of country music or pop diva tunes. I don't think I've ever heard a Beyonce tune.
I'm strictly rock and reggae.

Are you gonna catch Bob Marley: One Love in the theater?
I've already seen three films about Bob Marley:
2001...Rebel Music: The Bob Marley Story
2011...Bob Marley: The Making of a Legend
2012...Marley
I enjoyed all three, with 2012's Marley the best IMO.
Of course I'll still see the current one. Although I don't see how it could be as good as the 2012 film. It's gonna be a little weird seeing some actor portraying Bob though.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT