ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Electric vehicles

It's bullshit to equate satisfaction survey results with quality. So you don't get all offended, I'll use Porsche as an example.

Porsche cars, like every other manufacturer out there, can exhibit reliability problems. In some cases, the problems can be really pretty bad and fairly prevalent. And yet Porsche usually ranks pretty highly in customer satisfaction surveys due, in part, to brand loyalty. And in part, because of the feelings evoked by driving the car.

I'm a perfect example. I flat out love my 911. Love. It. But my car isn't perfectly reliable and it has flaws (e.g. the manual gearbox can be notchy at times, especially when cold and the sound system is meh). Doesn't matter to me. Nor does these issues seem to matter much to a majority of 911 owners. My subjective satisfaction level is like 11 out of 10. I'm so happy with it, I'm in the market for a second, more extreme 911.

So I would imagine the same is true for Teslas. Or Jeeps (which are notoriously unreliable). Despite the reliability issues and fit and finish issues, the owners still really like them.

Satisfaction and reliability just don't correlate very well, at least with certain brands. You'd think they would. But they don't.

I've always said the same of Audis. They can be pretty glitchy, but when it happens the service is almost always impeccable and the cars are, IMO, tops in their classes because the driving experience is just so good.

Reactions: mildone
How do you like the software update. I think it’s a big upgrade. Much easier because you can use the main control knob.
I have driven so infrequently, it is sad. But we went out for a ride yesterday, with the old software. Like a little kid waiting for Santa, I kept checking, and it updated last night. Yes, knobs are good, touch screens are bad. The younger generation will likely disagree. I hated trying to adjust the temperature and fan speed with the touch screen. When I bought the Maverick, I had considered the Hyundai small pickup thing, but their interface was 100% touch screen, and that is a major reason why I passed on the Hyundai, other than the looks.

Apparently, there is yet another update? 4.1.3,which includes Video Streaming of YouTube, NBC News And NBC Today. The update says it is for Lariat and Platinum only?

I feel lucky with the 2022. Maybe I am misreading, but a bunch of features were dropped from the 2023 models?

It's bullshit to equate satisfaction survey results with quality. So you don't get all offended, I'll use Porsche as an example.

Porsche cars, like every other manufacturer out there, can exhibit reliability problems. In some cases, the problems can be really pretty bad and fairly prevalent. And yet Porsche usually ranks pretty highly in customer satisfaction surveys due, in part, to brand loyalty. And in part, because of the feelings evoked by driving the car.

I'm a perfect example. I flat out love my 911. Love. It. But my car isn't perfectly reliable and it has flaws (e.g. the manual gearbox can be notchy at times, especially when cold and the sound system is meh). Doesn't matter to me. Nor does these issues seem to matter much to a majority of 911 owners. My subjective satisfaction level is like 11 out of 10. I'm so happy with it, I'm in the market for a second, more extreme 911.

So I would imagine the same is true for Teslas. Or Jeeps (which are notoriously unreliable). Despite the reliability issues and fit and finish issues, the owners still really like them.

Satisfaction and reliability just don't correlate very well, at least with certain brands. You'd think they would. But they don't.

When confronted with a direct question you can't provide evidence for, resort to a completely unrelated, boring snoozefest. Well done. Back to ignore.

Just picked up my MYLR.
Panel gaps are still horrible and there are water stains inside the headlights. Need to schedule a service appt to fix them.

Also, question for you guys. Should I trust the hotel valet in NYC to park my Tesla?
I live in MD and will drive to the MSG game this weekend.

When confronted with a direct question you can't provide evidence for, resort to a completely unrelated, boring snoozefest. Well done. Back to ignore.
LOL. Translation: I can’t refute a word mildone said and he isn’t promoting Tesla, so I don’t want to hear it. 🤣 🤣

Cultists gonna cult.

Just picked up my MYLR.
Panel gaps are still horrible and there are water stains inside the headlights. Need to schedule a service appt to fix them.

Also, question for you guys. Should I trust the hotel valet in NYC to park my Tesla?
Some hotels offer free charging.

Reactions: RutgersNo1
Just picked up my MYLR.

Do you have any choice? If I have a choice, I avoid valet parking as a general rule. If I don’t have a choice, I take a car I don’t mind getting dinged up.

I've always said the same of Audis. They can be pretty glitchy, but when it happens the service is almost always impeccable and the cars are, IMO, tops in their classes because the driving experience is just so good.

and people still love the wrangler.

Reactions: mildone and RU4Real
Ford’s BlueCruise Ousts GM’s Super Cruise as CR’s Top-Rated Active Driving Assistance System

Tesla Autopilot falls to midpack as other high-tech systems improve

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...riving-assistance-systems-review-a2103632203/

Tesla pretty far down the list.

screenshot-2023-01-25-at-8-55-03-am-jpg-jpg-jpg.63865

screenshot-2023-01-25-at-8-55-19-am-jpg-jpg-jpg.63866

Is there really enough of a need for this to justify the risk of cars driving themselves?

Ford desperately cutting prices due to Tesla's demand surge. All F EV models going further into the red. Will F declare bankruptcy soon?

Just picked up my MYLR.

Take the train.

in nyc? it's valet more often than not.
I hate using valet parking. I tend to always train into NYC to avoid that issue, not to mention suspension destroying road conditions and the general view that rubbing is parking on the streets.

I would consider parking at a train station somewhere in NJ, like the Metropark parking deck, and taking the train in. Or, if I didn’t have a beater to take, I might rent. A model Y isn’t rare or impossible to replace. But if I had a new one, I’d probably not want to drive it into NYC.

Is there really enough of a need for this to justify the risk of cars driving themselves?

Frankly, no.

There are instances where autonomy pays off - primarily 2 use cases. In areas of heavy congestion having the ability to start / slow / stop the entire roadway on queue can really minimize delays. Somewhat conversely, having the ability to control all vehicles within the "blast radius" of an incident, when it occurs, can mitigate the risk of secondary collisions.

But both of those use cases don't depend on "vehicle autonomy", per se. Quite the opposite, they're predicated on what you might call the "vehicle hive", where all vehicles on the road are connect to each other and to the infrastructure - this is what @mildone and I have been talking about.

As we've said, there will never come a day when independent vehicles acting fully autonomously are the only links in the chain.

Reactions: mildone
Ford desperately cutting prices due to Tesla's demand surge. All F EV models going further into the red. Will F declare bankruptcy soon?
desperate is giving huge price cuts right before the quarter end to meet sales figures Or after failing behind growth estimates.

How's it's canonball feature?

Oh, that was fun.

It turns out that if you accelerate into a passing maneuver at close range the collision warning gets upset. More than once the car actually applied the breaks just as I was starting to go around someone.

Oh, that was fun.

It turns out that if you accelerate into a passing maneuver at close range the collision warning gets upset. More than once the car actually applied the breaks just as I was starting to go around someone.
My Lightning has pulled that crap twice on me, but did not hit the brakes, just the warning. Must be programmed by non-Jersey drivers. 🙄

My Lightning has pulled that crap twice on me, but did not hit the brakes, just the warning. Must be programmed by non-Jersey drivers. 🙄

Our Grand Cherokee High Altitude and the Durango RT before that did that occassionally as well.

The whole dashboard lights up, bells and whistles go off, LOL. You don't even need the car to hit the break on their own, after the cockpit goes haywire your natural reaction is to hit the brake anyway because it scares the shit out of you. Hahaha.

My wife hates that feature.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Thanks to skyrocketing electricity prices, it now costs more to drive the average electric vehicle 100 miles than it does to drive a gas-powered car the same distance.

A report from the Anderson Economic Group (AEG) shows that driving a gas-powered car 100 miles costs an average of $11.29. However, the cost for people who drive electric vehicles and charge up at home is $11.60 per hundred miles. A little more expensive.
But.

For those electric car owners who use recharging stations, the average cost for 100 miles is substantially higher at $14.40.

But at least you’re saving the planet, right?
Oh, wait, you’re not saving the planet because most of the “clean” electricity you use to charge your eco-car comes from burning fossil fuels…so lol.
From the AEG report:

East Lansing, MI–January 24, 2023: 2022’s final quarter finally brought relief at the pump for drivers of traditional Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) vehicles as the cost to drive 100 miles dropped by more than $2. With the cost for electricity also trending upward during the year, midpriced ICE cars became more economical to fuel than their Electric Vehicle (EV) counterparts for the first time in 18 months.
In Q4 2022, typical mid-priced ICE car drivers paid about $11.29 to fuel their vehicles for 100 miles of driving. That cost was around $0.31 cheaper than the amount paid by mid-priced EV drivers charging mostly at home, and over $3 less than the cost borne by comparable EV drivers charging commercially.
Now, those driving luxury electric vehicles are still saving money compared to gas-powered luxury cars. America’s elite always seem to land on their feet.

A luxury gas-powered car costs $19.96 to operate 100 miles. A luxury electric car costs just $12.40 if you charge at home and $15.95 if you use charging stations.
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...ered-car-100-miles-than-average-electric-car/

Are people buying EVs because they think they are saving the planet? I know several owners and saving the planet was never a factor.

So skinny unless NJ allows self service stations you will be able to keep your job.
For what reason then? Govt subsidies?
Then we must ask why the government is offering subsidies to buy an EV?
Let the market decide.

Reactions: bac2therac
The people I know liked the new technology and financially buying it was no big deal.

They really like their cars.

Saving the planet never crossed their mind.

The market always decides. That is why there will be both for a very long time.

Are people buying EVs because they think they are saving the planet? I know several owners and saving the planet was never a factor.
If not, then why are they marketing them that way? Obviously, they're marketing them to people who think they're environmental hero's and saving the planet.

Reactions: bac2therac
Toyota builds one vehicle that matters. It's not electric and it's not sold in this country. To be ignorant of that fact is to be ignorant of the broader landscape at Toyota.
I am not a car guy so I have no idea about Toyota beyond the American models they sell.

What vehicle are you referring to.

This is hysterical-- people scared to get valet parked in NYC for a basketball game. You still can find municipal parking where you can park yourself and take the train but if you're afraid to let a parking garage attendant park your car you'll crap your pants parking in a city garage or even the port authority. You can't take a car into NYC without parking in a parking garage where they park it. Be prepared, I ate downtown last night and it cost me 40 for 2 hours and sometimes these garages are sold out .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT