ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Electric vehicles

That's the problem, the government has interfered in several of these markets, subsidizing one item over another. Look at power generation in California: they drove out nuclear power by subsidizing wind and solar.

I get that some don't care about the future and/or think resources like fossil fuels are infinite....but there is an eventual limit to everything. My thoughts are that subsidies are a combo of PAC influende and perhaps trying to play the long game. Known oil reserves are targeted to run out in about 60 years. Coal there is a bigger buffer (140 years). These measurements are probably not an exact science but promoting a switch starting now seems like a smart risk mitigation to start to ease the burden and shift to electrical where there is a longer lead time with coal generated electricity and as posted, nuclear as well. This will also have an impact to national security.

Note that Lithium supply is projected at 70 years. There are different battery technologies in development to extend life and charge capacity, reduce lithium or provide alternatives even without heavy metals or even revamping traditional solid state batteries.

Reactions: mildone
Just picked up my MYLR.
Panel gaps are still horrible and there are water stains inside the headlights. Need to schedule a service appt to fix them.

Also, question for you guys. Should I trust the hotel valet in NYC to park my Tesla?
I live in MD and will drive to the MSG game this weekend.
Use Sentry Mode. You'll be fine.

Use Sentry Mode. You'll be fine.
Yeah, because that'll prevent the car from getting dinged, dented, or otherwise scratched up. And because thieves never wear masks. 🙂

But hey, never miss an opportunity to talk up some Tesla feature, right? So what if virtually every car maker on the planet offers similar or better anti-theft systems.

I just realized recently how much sentry mode drains the battery. Had my car in airport parking and unexpectedly had to stop for a quick top off charge on the way home.
Does the system not have adjustable parameters, such as sensitivity, full-time or motion detection modes, and an tunable auto-off point at which various features are turned off to prevent further draining the battery?

Why are right wing nuts so threatened by electric cars? I mean a lot of these cars are now being built in the US (Hyundai just announced a huge factory in Georgia). They perform better than gas guzzlers and are quieter on the highway.

If you don’t like electric cars, don’t buy them.

We bought a 2022 Lucid Air. I get over 400 miles per charge. It has a fast charging mode that allows me to recharge 250 miles capacity in 20 minutes. My wife and I drove from NJ to the Outerbanks recharging only once for 30 minutes at a free charging station while we took a lunch break. We arrived with about 175 miles left in the battery.

My wife recharges her battery for free at her work’s parking lot. We rarely charge at home.

It is dangerously fast. Hit Launch Mode and you can go 0-60 in 3 seconds flat. It gets to 100 in 6 seconds. It supposedly has a top speed of 170.

I don’t know what else you would want in a car (well except that it doesn’t support Apple CarPlay).

because there are states formulating plans mandating elimination of gas powered cars, lawn equipment, gas powered stoves....where have you been, there are receipts, its not made up

Does the system not have adjustable parameters, such as sensitivity, full-time or motion detection modes, and an tunable auto-off point at which various features are turned off to prevent further draining the battery?
if you like math , counting watts and constantly measuring your power usage while searching for power stations--hey leave that air off-- evs are for you-- i understand hybrids but I 'll wait for better technology and lighter , safer evs.

if you like math , counting watts and constantly measuring your power usage while searching for power stations--hey leave that air off-- evs are for you-- i understand hybrids but I 'll wait for better technology and lighter , safer evs.
I need no convincing to get an EV when the time is right. Soon as a mid-size or larger SUV EV demonstrates a real-world range close to 600 miles, I'll be seriously considering an EV purchase. I would probably wait a year or so to let the new model bugs get worked out.

But then I'd get one, long as the pricing wasn't too crazy. I wouldn't get a Lucid SUV that costs $200K. An SUV is, for me, an occasional use vehicle so that would be more than I'd want to pay for one.

It does shut off at 20% battery. I don't think it currently has the ability to adjust for sensitivity but that has been said to be in the works.

Reactions: mildone
I've misjudged my trip twice in 18 months and had to stop for a cup of coffee at wawa to top off. The car does all the work for you, no math required.

It is upgraded. Every year capacity increases. With stationary storage being added to the mix, grid capacity is growing even faster. The luddites are oblivious to this fact. They also think 100% EV adoption is going to happen tomorrow.
??

I've never considered myself a "Luddite".

I did like The Osterman Weekend a lot, but all the Bourne stuff was mostly stupid, IMO.

That’s the problem . You need the infrastructure and support to handle this beforehand. But we know that won’t happen and it will be a nationwide problem. Hell, texas couldn’t keep power on because of snow . This is a huge policy issue that hasn’t been addressed.
This is basically like building a house, constructing a kitchen, bathrooms and painting and then you’re gonna come back and check on the foundation later because “it needs to be improved”
It is being addressed. You're just not paying attention. Texas added large stationary storage projects after the Feb 2021 outage and has plans for more. The information is out there....if you bother to look.

https://electrek.co/2022/01/06/tesla-unveils-giant-megapack-battery-project-texas/

https://pv-magazine-usa.com/2022/06/01/huge-battery-facility-in-texas-goes-online/

Why is EV adoption growing exponentially then? People enjoy being inconvenienced, uncomfortable, and stressed while driving?

I've driven an EV for 3 years. Nothing within your post is true. Stop regurgitating clickbait FUD.

i never side with bac on anything, but you do have to consider than his business relies on gas powered equipment. replacing that stuff with battery powered stuff will have a huge impact.
Our town banned gas power lawn equipment during COVID. The reason wasn’t because of the environment. People were working from home and complaint about the noise.

Did you ever pause and think that perhaps an EV makes for a better driving and ownership experience?
What's needed to make what you say a reality is for EVs to be helped along in the quest for better technology so they can prove to be the best way to drive and for the environment , while not making fossil fuel the enemy as that technology is being developed.
EV technology still needs to be improved,especially the battery and what goes into making EV batteries.
Right now there are too many fighting the inevitable change to EV transportation, while EV supporters want quick change without recognizing there are flaws in the EV battery manufacturing that need to be addressed before a full changeover can be accomplished properly.
I'm all for EVs but question how much mining the battery material improves the environment over fossil fuel .
As technology improves the cost and life of battery will improve, but need to find better ways to build batteries that don't cause environment damage

Like everything, when two sides don't agree , a compromise needs to be reached
but it seems like the same old same old neither side will bulge from their positions and
making the problem more political than necessary .

i never side with bac on anything, but you do have to consider than his business relies on gas powered equipment. replacing that stuff with battery powered stuff will have a huge impact.

Can electric mowers still go 30 mph in circles and tear up my f*ckin' lawn? Cuz if not, I don't think my guy would be interested.

Why I do my own. I can come by with my John Deere tractor at my hourly rate.

Between the landscaping in the front and the pool and all the hardscaping in the back, there's not a lot of lawn. I'd just do it myself except... I refuse. I'm just gonna tell the wife I'm gettin' a friggin' goat. We can have chickens and a goat and not have to worry about the lawn.

what, not fond of the zero turn donuts engraved into your lawn? think of it as and artist's personal flourish!

On one side of my house is The Wet Spot. It exists due to a combination of poorly constructed swales, a dodgy drainage system and the fact that the lawn guys refuse to stop digging up the grass.

The last guy actually sank his tractor to the axles. It took him 2 hours, 2 friends and an F-350 with a cable winch to get it out, right before I fired him.

It's the unspoken dirty little secret. Solar panels and wind blades don't last forever either, except in fairy land. Right now, nobody knows what to do with them, except bury them. Technology will eventually be there but right now it's being pushed before it's ready.
Great. Bury them and throw them in the landfills. Are the tree huggers thinking of this possibility?

Reactions: koleszar
The amount of disinformation spewed on this thread is absurd. The solar panels on my roof are warranted for 30 years (I've owned them for eight years with zero problems - they paid for themselves last year). So much defensiveness from Climate Deniers.

It is being addressed. You're just not paying attention. Texas added large stationary storage projects after the Feb 2021 outage and has plans for more. The information is out there....if you bother to look.

https://electrek.co/2022/01/06/tesla-unveils-giant-megapack-battery-project-texas/

https://pv-magazine-usa.com/2022/06/01/huge-battery-facility-in-texas-goes-online/
Lol it was a hot summer . And the electric companies here in jersey cut the power down every chance they get because the grid couldn’t handle peak demand . Maybe you don’t bother to notice . That’s them addressing the issue . Stop Clowning . You’re learning a lot here I guess

Lol it was a hot summer . And the electric companies here in jersey cut the power down every chance they get because the grid couldn’t handle peak demand . Maybe you don’t bother to notice . That’s them addressing the issue . Stop Clowning . You’re learning a lot here I guess

PSE&G, for example, has put a plan in place to upgrade their grid, especially for residential use due to the adoption of more EVs. They had released a statement last year saying their projections expect that there could 600,000 EVs by the end of the decade charging on their system so they are working on being able to handle that kind of load on top of their typical residential/commercial usage.

In 2022, they got approval from the state for a $511 million infrastructure upgrade for better substations and improved reliability for customers as well as some smaller upgrades like gas metering improvements, etc. That's on top of the nearly $175 million approved in 2021 to upgrade residential service to handle increased residential EV service and supercharger service.

PSE&G, for example, has put a plan in place to upgrade their grid, especially for residential use due to the adoption of more EVs. They had released a statement last year saying their projections expect that there could 600,000 EVs by the end of the decade charging on their system so they are working on being able to handle that kind of load on top of their typical residential/commercial usage.

In 2022, they got approval from the state for a $511 million infrastructure upgrade for better substations and improved reliability for customers as well as some smaller upgrades like gas metering improvements, etc. That's on top of the nearly $175 million approved in 2021 to upgrade residential service to handle increased residential EV service and supercharger service.
Plans … statement . Ok cool.
Stand next to a major appliance on a hot summer afternoon of 23 and see if the power has been reduced by PSE&G. That Statement is blowing smoke

Plans … statement . Ok cool.
Stand next to a major appliance on a hot summer afternoon of 23 and see if the power has been reduced by PSE&G. That Statement is blowing smoke
It's kind of funny how angry you seem over this.

Like why are you so bitter and adamant that PSE&G, for example, isn't working on upgrading their grid?

It's kind of funny how angry you seem over this.

Like why are you so bitter and adamant that PSE&G, for example, isn't working on upgrading their grid?
I didn’t even initially mention PSE&G . You did . And you can’t possibly be that dumb to believe a policy statement over real life , could you?

Are people buying EVs because they think they are saving the planet? I know several owners and saving the planet was never a factor.

So skinny unless NJ allows self service stations you will be able to keep your job.
Every time I plug in I know that I am somehow helping the Polar Bears survive in Antarctica.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT