ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Electric vehicles

Kelly Blue Book EV Sales report for q1. US only.

"One bright spot in Q1: Strong EV sales from luxury makers, suggesting the EV market continues to be luxury-driven. Cadillac achieved a 499.2% year-over-year increase in electric vehicle sales due to robust sales of its Lyriq model. At Mercedes, EV sales were up 66.9%. BMW posted a 62.6% increase in EV sales compared to Q1 2023. At Audi, Q1 EV sales grew 28.8% year over year."

Above quote from Cox.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Tesla announced to Gigafactory Texas employees that it will shorten Cybertruck production shift amid rumors that it is preparing a round of layoffs.

We received several reports today from Tesla employees hearing rumors of an important round of layoffs happening this week at the company.

Some of them are talking about layoffs as high as 20% of the workforce, which would mean tens of thousands of employees.

Interesting comments under the article:

1 hour ago

Repost from another article. And now for something completely different. Tesla is cutting production hours for the CT. Not a whole lot, but reducing them a bit for each shift. Teslarti is stating there were 2,803 CTs delivered in the first quarter according to Cox Automotive and the plant has been building 900-1,000 per week. Tesla has also stopped deliveries of the CT to correct an accelerator lubricant issue that can cause it to slip, whatever that means. The outbound lots must be very full now. About 8,000 Of them?

• 1 hour ago

The CT accelerators are getting stuck...so dangerous that even Elon signed off on delivery stoppage

15 minutes ago

BUT, BUt, But, but, the edgelord said the plant could do 250,000 a year. A 1,000 a week is a fifth of that. The big point is why they have only delivered less than 250 per week so far.

Oh yeah, ramp up! /s

31 minutes ago

I’m not a Tesla hater. But 1000 CT’s per week is never going to happen.

night sinking GIF

Tesla announced to Gigafactory Texas employees that it will shorten Cybertruck production shift amid rumors that it is preparing a round of layoffs.

We received several reports today from Tesla employees hearing rumors of an important round of layoffs happening this week at the company.

Some of them are talking about layoffs as high as 20% of the workforce, which would mean tens of thousands of employees.

night sinking GIF
I hope, for the sake of all those employees, that the rumors are untrue.

1 hour ago

Repost from another article. And now for something completely different. Tesla is cutting production hours for the CT. Not a whole lot, but reducing them a bit for each shift. Teslarti is stating there were 2,803 CTs delivered in the first quarter according to Cox Automotive and the plant has been building 900-1,000 per week. Tesla has also stopped deliveries of the CT to correct an accelerator lubricant issue that can cause it to slip, whatever that means. The outbound lots must be very full now. About 8,000 Of them?

• 1 hour ago

The CT accelerators are getting stuck...so dangerous that even Elon signed off on delivery stoppage

15 minutes ago

BUT, BUt, But, but, the edgelord said the plant could do 250,000 a year. A 1,000 a week is a fifth of that. The big point is why they have only delivered less than 250 per week so far.

Oh yeah, ramp up! /s

31 minutes ago

night sinking GIF
Seriously doubt there is the demand for 1000 a week. I think the truck is ugly as sin, but it's also a very ill timed release.

Tesla right now looks to be strong on lower price models, specifically the Y, much less strong amongst the higher end models.

Seriously doubt there is the demand for 1000 a week. I think the truck is ugly as sin, but it's also a very ill timed release.

Tesla right now looks to be strong on lower price models, specifically the Y, much less strong amongst the higher end models.
Don't know if Tesla could have helped the timing on the Cybertruck. The shine is off of EVs (for now). Yes, they are still selling, but a few things going on. On the lower to medium end, there are Volkswagen, Kia and Hyundai supplying EVs that compete with Tesla's sedans/SUV (if that's what you call it). As has been noted, the luxury car companies have a nice array of choices (BMW, Audi and Cadillac to name a few). The Cybertruck is what it is. It will have a market for people who want something different, and there is an aspect of coolness to it, but it really is not a direct competitor to the F150 Lightning and the Rivian pickup trucks. IMO, one interested in a more traditional pickup will pick the Rivian or the F150 Lighting.

Elon also seems to have and continues to alienate potential customers with his positions on a variety of social and political issues. Some people (like me) don't particularly care if the product is good and the positions are not too extreme, but have seen on a number of EV forums and articles where he has seemingly turned potential customers off with his positions.

Always hate to see a large scale layoff at any company. Tesla is still the king of EVs and will remain so for the foreseeable future. In the comments to the Electrek story, someone had mentioned there was supposed to be a Model 2 (lower priced car)? 2024 was the projected launch date about a year ago. Not sure where this is at right now:

Reactions: RU-05

1 hour ago

• 1 hour ago

15 minutes ago

Oh yeah, ramp up! /s

31 minutes ago

night sinking GIF
So news this morning is layoffs of its global workforce, not specifically CT assembly workers.

Though CT assembly was halted.

So news this morning is layoffs of its global workforce, not specifically CT assembly workers.

Though CT assembly was halted.
There is some sort of problem with the accelerator pedal. If this is the issue, for $120K, they could not afford a couple of screws or fasteners?

Production supposedly to resume April 20. How appropriate.

Tommy Chong Weed GIF by Paramount Movies
Weed 420 Blaze It GIF by MOODMAN

Interesting take from someone who now owns two F150 Lightnings and trading in a Tesla Y to get the Lightning:

We're going to clean the Tesla up and sell it. It's a decent vehicle and very quick, but the F-150 is much more of a Swiss army knife of utility, does everything the Tesla does (and better in most cases) and the Tesla fell short this winter in the snow and rain where my Lariat ER plowed through unchallenged. Every time we have 3 or 4 vehicles we find that one of them sits unused, so we try not to sit on depreciating assets and pay insurance on them when the use case changes. One day, when all the chores are done, I'd like to add a manual rwd 2-door back into the fleet, but other shiny things are sucking up any disposable income for the moment.
Cheers!
-Zap

My gal came from a 2021 STI to the Model Y and definitely appreciated the speed but said the handling left much to be desired, as did power management/distribution (squirrely in rain and snow) and likes to drive quickly but appreciated the safety conversation about being in a larger vehicle while people are driving increasingly crazy out there. The C8 is magnificent, I only wish it came with a manual, but the E-Ray in particular, being awd, is a dream machine. Hope it works out for you!
-Zap

Interesting take from someone who now owns two F150 Lightnings and trading in a Tesla Y to get the Lightning:

We're going to clean the Tesla up and sell it. It's a decent vehicle and very quick, but the F-150 is much more of a Swiss army knife of utility, does everything the Tesla does (and better in most cases) and the Tesla fell short this winter in the snow and rain where my Lariat ER plowed through unchallenged. Every time we have 3 or 4 vehicles we find that one of them sits unused, so we try not to sit on depreciating assets and pay insurance on them when the use case changes. One day, when all the chores are done, I'd like to add a manual rwd 2-door back into the fleet, but other shiny things are sucking up any disposable income for the moment.
Cheers!
-Zap

My gal came from a 2021 STI to the Model Y and definitely appreciated the speed but said the handling left much to be desired, as did power management/distribution (squirrely in rain and snow) and likes to drive quickly but appreciated the safety conversation about being in a larger vehicle while people are driving increasingly crazy out there. The C8 is magnificent, I only wish it came with a manual, but the E-Ray in particular, being awd, is a dream machine. Hope it works out for you!
-Zap

Curious how these things are leasing now. A buddy leased one and loves it but he pays a ton a month (he was one of the early acquirers) and said the deals are much better now with the rebates, inventory levels, etc.

I keep tinkering with the idea of an EV for our second car. I was going to get an Ariya a few months ago but waited.

Cheers!
-Zap

-Zap

To me, the difference is the finish. Been in S, Y and 3. The interior finish is just avg to cheap.

ETA my ID4 is also feels cheap

Here's a good piece from the Times (gasp!) Tesla's market share has dropped from 62% to 51% over the past year. It has "leveled off" in the sense that its share hasn't dropped for the last three quarters -- but the total number of sales has decreased. Worse, Ford, although it increased its sales greatly in the last quarter, is retreating from EVs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/15/...e_code=1.k00.I3J7.DLj5sJnmLUmI&smid=url-share

Here's a good piece from the Times (gasp!) Tesla's market share has dropped from 62% to 51% over the past year. It has "leveled off" in the sense that its share hasn't dropped for the last three quarters -- but the total number of sales has decreased. Worse, Ford, although it increased its sales greatly in the last quarter, is retreating from EVs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/15/...e_code=1.k00.I3J7.DLj5sJnmLUmI&smid=url-share
Thanks for the gifted link! This nails it "an increasing number of automakers are competing for a slice of a shrinking pie."

Retreating seems to be the wrong word. Retooling/ refocusing on cheaper vehicles. Not sure if there will be a huge market for F150 Lightnings, but most owners love their vehicle. Same can be said for Tesla owners. The early adopter market seems saturated for now. There will be a next wave when infrastructure and battery technology improves.

Reading the comments, and not surprised from a NYT reader:

"I would not purchase a pair of roller skates from a company owned or managed by Elon Musk, in whole or in significant part. I will not knowingly spend one dime that could end up in Elon Musk’s pocket. Period."

But I'm more like this commenter (not necessarily on the politics, but on making purchase decisions-I don't factor in the company owners/executives- I buy based on whether I like the product, not a person):

"I've owned an EV for 2 years and I am absolutely never going back to an ICE car, even though I dislike Elon's politics. I already have solar panels so I get most of my electricity for free."

And OMG, do people really think this way? Human beings are not meant to be isolated dolts working from home and never having any personal interaction with their co-workers- this comment is hilariously sad:

"If we were serious about carbon, WFH would be mandatory for roles that can support it. Or, if you require someone in a "remote enabled role" to come into the office, you pay their entire salary as an additional tax each year for what you're doing to the environment without a good reason. Having people who can work remotely drive into an office is the moral equivalent of "rolling coal" with a deleted pickup truck on the highway. IMHO, we should go as far as boycotting companies that mandate WFO when it's obvious that WFH would work for that line of business (nearly all white-collar work)."

One other interesting comment in the NYT story:
"One of the worst EVs (scam, really) is the tesla cybertruck. It uses 45 kwh of electricity to travel 100 miles or twice as much energy as a Nissan Leaf. Now, this wouldn't be bad for a workhorse truck that was used in the landscaping business, contractor, etc. but the vast majority of these trucks are driven by suburban men who want to show off. The Ford Maverick hybrid is a much better pickup and is about 1/3 of the price. No wonder tesla is racing to the bottom.

1 Reply​

JJ

@osavus I own a Maverick and have put 4k miles on it. A pleasure to drive and economical. Bought off the lot with tax and license for $26,500"

Motor Trend runs fuel cost per mile for a variety of vehicles, and interesting, the Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid was cheaper to run than that the Ford F150 Lightning XLT:

VehicleEngineMPGFuel Cost per Mile
2020 Nissan Sentra2.0L I-429.9$0.12
2023 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid2.5L hybrid I-435.0$0.13
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning XLT2-motor electric62.8*$0.14
2020 Ram 2500 HD6.7L turbodiesel I-617.5$0.16

Musk got into China before Xi embarked on dictatorship with fuller ramp-up of strategic mercantilism.
China gets US fools to rush in for the slave labor - training them and managers, creating supply chains.
Then after a few years they start their own knockoff companies with ripped-off tech.
After Apple there are now a few dozen Chinese phone companies.

Elon knew only people with money would buy the boutique electrics that weren't practical
China then aims for the cheap cars once they make enough improvements.
Tesla was very innovative for factory method so CCP let them roll a little while longer.
Now the cars are getting banned from locations. https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/S...bans-in-China-as-security-concerns-accelerate

Telsa gets like 60% of is parts from China and that's crazy.
They will never get back to even ground.
Now China is making heavy electric generation while it funds US to terminate its electric while getting BlackRock to cripple companies with DEI.
Spectacular.

Don't miss Dave Walsh on Tesla - top guy on electric - forget MSM

One other interesting comment in the NYT story:
"One of the worst EVs (scam, really) is the tesla cybertruck. It uses 45 kwh of electricity to travel 100 miles or twice as much energy as a Nissan Leaf. Now, this wouldn't be bad for a workhorse truck that was used in the landscaping business, contractor, etc. but the vast majority of these trucks are driven by suburban men who want to show off. The Ford Maverick hybrid is a much better pickup and is about 1/3 of the price. No wonder tesla is racing to the bottom.

1 Reply​

JJ
@osavus I own a Maverick and have put 4k miles on it. A pleasure to drive and economical. Bought off the lot with tax and license for $26,500"

Motor Trend runs fuel cost per mile for a variety of vehicles, and interesting, the Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid was cheaper to run than that the Ford F150 Lightning XLT:

VehicleEngineMPGFuel Cost per Mile
2020 Nissan Sentra2.0L I-429.9$0.12
2023 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid2.5L hybrid I-435.0$0.13
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning XLT2-motor electric62.8*$0.14
2020 Ram 2500 HD6.7L turbodiesel I-617.5$0.16

Let me be persnickety. The comment is not "in" the story -- that is, it is not something written by the reporters -- but is a reader comment "on" the story. In other words, it's Joe Blow talking, not the New York Times.

Let me be persnickety. The comment is not "in" the story -- that is, it is not something written by the reporters -- but is a reader comment "on" the story. In other words, it's Joe Blow talking, not the New York Times.
You sir, are correct. I should have said in the link to the NYT story. Not laughing at you, but I have to laugh at a certain segment of NYT readers, some with a holier than thou attitude at the world. However, just like here, there is a debate between the EV purists who think we must have EVs now, and those who see plug-in hybrids (and for that matter, non-plug in hybrids) as a bridge to cleaner air and eventual full EV adoption.

That comment above, however, about companies and WFH (work from home) still has me wondering. Life goes on.

Reactions: dconifer
Musk got into China before Xi embarked on dictatorship with fuller ramp-up of strategic mercantilism.
China gets US fools to rush in for the slave labor - training them and managers, creating supply chains.
Then after a few years they start their own knockoff companies with ripped-off tech.
After Apple there are now a few dozen Chinese phone companies.

Elon knew only people with money would buy the boutique electrics that weren't practical
China then aims for the cheap cars once they make enough improvements.
Tesla was very innovative for factory method so CCP let them roll a little while longer.
Now the cars are getting banned from locations. https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/S...bans-in-China-as-security-concerns-accelerate

Telsa gets like 60% of is parts from China and that's crazy.
They will never get back to even ground.
Now China is making heavy electric generation while it funds US to terminate its electric while getting BlackRock to cripple companies with DEI.
Spectacular.

Don't miss Dave Walsh on Tesla - top guy on electric - forget MSM

China banning of Teslas makes more sense than our banning of TikTok. Although in both cases, it's much less about security than geopolitics.

And for all the patterns you seek out, you keep missing the single most destructive behavioral pattern in the United States, which is out of control partisanship and ideological demagoguery.

The bipolarization of the US electorate and stalemate in DC is, at the same time, both a result and a consequence of our willingness to form rigidly ideological camps that hate each other.

China (among others) has been doing all it can to encourage and fuel this polarization. Who benefits most if the US tears itself apart from the inside? Hint: it's sure as shit not the US.

But people in the US, like you, who continue to allow yourselves to define your biggest enemy as "that other ideological group" and insist that one side is better than the other, are playing right into the hands of our geopolitical foes. Y'all either lack the wherewithal to recognize how you're being manipulated by external forces, or recognizing it, fail to have the personal discipline to reject it.

Which is why are facing an election with the two most unfit presidential candidates in living memory, one clearly suffering early dementia, the other obviously having sociopathic-narcissistic personality disorder. No healthy nation could have such tremendously awful candidates.

This situation couldn't be more ideal for China, Russia or other nations who want the US to fail.

That's the national security risk people should be paying attention to. Not green energy or big oil or electric or gas cars. And with the polarization problem, people can actually do something about it themselves, unlike most other national security risks where civilians are basically spectators.

China banning of Teslas makes more sense than our banning of TikTok. Although in both cases, it's much less about security than geopolitics.

And for all the patterns you seek out, you keep missing the single most destructive behavioral pattern in the United States, which is out of control partisanship and ideological demagoguery.

The bipolarization of the US electorate and stalemate in DC is, at the same time, both a result and a consequence of our willingness to form rigidly ideological camps that hate each other.

China (among others) has been doing all it can to encourage and fuel this polarization. Who benefits most if the US tears itself apart from the inside? Hint: it's sure as shit not the US.

But people in the US, like you, who continue to allow yourselves to define your biggest enemy as "that other ideological group" and insist that one side is better than the other, are playing right into the hands of our geopolitical foes. Y'all either lack the wherewithal to recognize how you're being manipulated by external forces, or recognizing it, fail to have the personal discipline to reject it.

Which is why are facing an election with the two most unfit presidential candidates in living memory, one clearly suffering early dementia, the other obviously having sociopathic-narcissistic personality disorder. No healthy nation could have such tremendously awful candidates.

This situation couldn't be more ideal for China, Russia or other nations who want the US to fail.

That's the national security risk people should be paying attention to. Not green energy or big oil or electric or gas cars. And with the polarization problem, people can actually do something about it themselves, unlike most other national security risks where civilians are basically spectators.

Sometimes I have some kind of morbid relief that I won't be above ground for too many more decades, and I worry about the world my kids are going to live in.

I like your post a lot, as I always do. I also worry about some things that Ashokan talks about, things I sometimes go full ostrich on. After reading up on the Ukraine war yesterday, and understanding what and how much China is doing to directly support Putin and Russia (in invading a sovereign nation for no reason), I just feel depressed. I'm sure that there is a quid pro quo, namely Russian support for the coming Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a country we are bound by treaty to support.

Okay, thinking about reaching for the bourbon now...

You sir, are correct. I should have said in the link to the NYT story. Not laughing at you, but I have to laugh at a certain segment of NYT readers, some with a holier than thou attitude at the world. However, just like here, there is a debate between the EV purists who think we must have EVs now, and those who see plug-in hybrids (and for that matter, non-plug in hybrids) as a bridge to cleaner air and eventual full EV adoption.

That comment above, however, about companies and WFH (work from home) still has me wondering. Life goes on.
I was thinking of saying something of the kind in my post. If it makes you feel better, even New York Times reporters and editors are often taken aback by their readers' comments. (For some stories, the reporter responds to the comments.) The Times' leadership has remarked repeatedly that many of its readers say they want the paper to be slanted to the left (yes, I know -- it already is, but the readers want it to be more so) and resent stories (and there are many) that don't follow the "party line."

Sometimes I have some kind of morbid relief that I won't be above ground for too many more decades, and I worry about the world my kids are going to live in.

I like your post a lot, as I always do. I also worry about some things that Ashokan talks about, things I sometimes go full ostrich on. After reading up on the Ukraine war yesterday, and understanding what and how much China is doing to directly support Putin and Russia (in invading a sovereign nation for no reason), I just feel depressed. I'm sure that there is a quid pro quo, namely Russian support for the coming Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a country we are bound by treaty to support.

You and everyone else should be very worried about the state of affairs in the world. 30 years of British style imperialistic warmongering by the US is about to bite us in the ass. Both parties are to blame but it's not a coincidence that it is all coming to a head under the most incompetent administration in US history. It's not 1995 and the world has caught up with us and can fight back. Our actions have driven the Chinese/Russians/Iranians/etc. to work together.

Ukraine has clearly lost and hopefully we see a negotiated settlement sooner than later to put an end to the killing. There are signs that is happening but anything can happen.

The middle east is much more problematic because the geocidal sociopaths who run Israel seem hellbent on escalating and drawing the US into a wider conflict. Obviously that powder keg could blow at any time. But I think the Iranian response to the destruction of their consulate in Syria has shown the Israelis that they are very vulnerable and hopefully they will stand down but who knows with them. Biden has clearly lost control.

The warmongers are trying to pivot from their losing effort in Ukraine and the middle east and to Taiwan. Don't fall for it.

You and everyone else should be very worried about the state of affairs in the world. 30 years of British style imperialistic warmongering by the US is about to bite us in the ass. Both parties are to blame but it's not a coincidence that it is all coming to a head under the most incompetent administration in US history. It's not 1995 and the world has caught up with us and can fight back. Our actions have driven the Chinese/Russians/Iranians/etc. to work together.

Ukraine has clearly lost and hopefully we see a negotiated settlement sooner than later to put an end to the killing. There are signs that is happening but anything can happen.

The middle east is much more problematic because the geocidal sociopaths who run Israel seem hellbent on escalating and drawing the US into a wider conflict. Obviously that powder keg could blow at any time. But I think the Iranian response to the destruction of their consulate in Syria has shown the Israelis that they are very vulnerable and hopefully they will stand down but who knows with them. Biden has clearly lost control.

The warmongers are trying to pivot from their losing effort in Ukraine and the middle east and to Taiwan. Don't fall for it.
How about those EVs? 🤷‍♂️

Tesla stock dropping like a rock.

The situation is pretty depressing at times. I have no clue how this gets corrected at this point. None.

It requires individuals to self-reflect. But nobody's doing that. It's all just finger-pointing instead.

Page A16 of today's (Tuesday) WSJ. Japan preparing to bring a nuclear reactor on-line for the first time since 2012.
I think what you are referring to is the restart of a plant idled in 2012 after the Fukushima accident. I thought perhaps you were talking about the opening of a new plant. The reopening is important because it illustrates how rising fuel costs and the desire for decarbonization have turned Japan away from a planned phaseout of nuclear energy. But, of course, reopening an existing plant is a far cry from actually building and operating new capacity. https://apnews.com/article/japan-nu...wa-fukushima-18976a399154dd3e850d963ab506548d

440 mile range GMC Sierra Denali is out. This is cool with the mid range gate:

I know a guy who has been waiting on a EV Silverado for a year now. Was still way down the list the last I talked to him. Supposedly GM had been allocating their EV's toward fleet purchasers.

Will the Denali be more readily available to the general public? Is this release a signal of GM finally getting up to speed in terms of manufacturing these EV's?

I do think this is another example of legacies focusing on higher end EV's.

I know a guy who has been waiting on a EV Silverado for a year now. Was still way down the list the last I talked to him. Supposedly GM had been allocating their EV's toward fleet purchasers.

Will the Denali be more readily available to the general public? Is this release a signal of GM finally getting up to speed in terms of manufacturing these EV's?

I do think this is another example of legacies focusing on higher end EV's.
IDK. I find the Silverado Denali intriguing, but I have generally never had a good experience with GM products, and their tepid entry into the EV space is a little bit of a concern (maybe tepid is the wrong word, bc they have had the Bolt/Volt EVs for a while). But there are a lot of cool features on this truck. Mentioned this to my better half on the commute in today in our F150 Lightning, and she laughed at me. Don't think we will unload our F150 Lightning at a loss to jump into a more expensive EV. We have no plans to sell, as we are still thrilled with the Lightning. But that pickup truck bed with the folding back doors on the Silverado is really cool, and they also have a frunk. Confession, have not used the frunk for anything.

IDK. I find the Silverado Denali intriguing, but I have generally never had a good experience with GM products, and their tepid entry into the EV space is a little bit of a concern (maybe tepid is the wrong word, bc they have had the Bolt/Volt EVs for a while). But there are a lot of cool features on this truck. Mentioned this to my better half on the commute in today in our F150 Lightning, and she laughed at me. Don't think we will unload our F150 Lightning at a loss to jump into a more expensive EV. We have no plans to sell, as we are still thrilled with the Lightning. But that pickup truck bed with the folding back doors on the Silverado is really cool, and they also have a frunk. Confession, have not used the frunk for anything.
I asked my Buddy of mine who works for GM what the hold up was and he chalked it up to bureaucracy within the company. Says they like to make everything difficult.

I think what you are referring to is the restart of a plant idled in 2012 after the Fukushima accident. I thought perhaps you were talking about the opening of a new plant. The reopening is important because it illustrates how rising fuel costs and the desire for decarbonization have turned Japan away from a planned phaseout of nuclear energy. But, of course, reopening an existing plant is a far cry from actually building and operating new capacity. https://apnews.com/article/japan-nu...wa-fukushima-18976a399154dd3e850d963ab506548d
You are missing the point. They are going g back to nuclear.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT