ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Electric vehicles

Cramer has no idea what he's talking about.
This is true.

It's also true that NOBODY knows what they're talking about when it comes to predicting the future. It's all speculation. Everybody's guessing.

If forced to make a guess, I'd guess the CT will enjoy a brief period of initial sales to people who like cars that scream "look at me" followed by a handful of years of lackluster sales. And that within a decade, the model will be quietly cancelled.

But it's just a guess. And, since it has no meaningful impact on anything, why should anybody care?

Video Shows Tesla Cybertruck Appearing To Struggle With Some Light Off-Roading​

Allegedly, the Cybertruck will go into production by the end of the year or 2025 depending on what you mean by "production":​

This comment kinds of nails it for me:

Midlife Miata DriverCollin Woodard
11/01/23 10:03am
Let’s be honest with ourselves though. The 15 people with more money than sense who will buy these monstrosities aren’t going to be taking them off-road. They’re doing it for the attention and the most serious road obstacle they will ever see will be speed bumps in mall parking lots.

Video Shows Tesla Cybertruck Appearing To Struggle With Some Light Off-Roading​

Allegedly, the Cybertruck will go into production by the end of the year or 2025 depending on what you mean by "production":​

This comment kinds of nails it for me:

Midlife Miata DriverCollin Woodard
11/01/23 10:03am
Let’s be honest with ourselves though. The 15 people with more money than sense who will buy these monstrosities aren’t going to be taking them off-road. They’re doing it for the attention and the most serious road obstacle they will ever see will be speed bumps in mall parking lots.

I gotta disagree. A decade ago that'd be spot on. But off-roading, particularly overlanding, has gotten so trendy, I expect many CT buyers to be diving in without looking - even if they're just doin' it for the 'gram!!!

Expect to see Cybertrucks polluting your favorite Sedona tracks after getting beached and abandoned for the next viral sure thing.

Reactions: Knight Shift
That's the thing. The entire automotive world is already laughing at the vehicle just based on appearance.

When it's finally delivered into customer's hands, and if it demonstrates anything less than mind-blowing perfection in every aspects of driving, it's not going to take long for for the initial buyers to realize that the nature of the attention they're getting doesn't match their pre-purchase hopes and expectations.

I think one would have to be fairly delusional to not realize all this already. So perhaps the buyers will be people who actually like the unusual appearance (beauty eye beholder and all) and don't care what anybody else thinks. Assuming the vehicle is competent, I wouldn't make fun of such people because I can appreciate the no fvcks to give attitude.

I suspect true attention-seekers will look elsewhere because they care about the nature of the attention and will sensitive to being laughed at so much. And also because being willing to spend $100K opens up plenty of other possibilities for attention-getting vehicles without the inherent comedic aspect.

That's the thing. The entire automotive world is already laughing at the vehicle just based on appearance.

When it's finally delivered into customer's hands, and if it demonstrates anything less than mind-blowing perfection in every aspects of driving, it's not going to take long for for the initial buyers to realize that the nature of the attention they're getting doesn't match their pre-purchase hopes and expectations.

I think one would have to be fairly delusional to not realize all this already. So perhaps the buyers will be people who actually like the unusual appearance (beauty eye beholder and all) and don't care what anybody else thinks. Assuming the vehicle is competent, I wouldn't make fun of such people because I can appreciate the no fvcks to give attitude.

I suspect true attention-seekers will look elsewhere because they care about the nature of the attention and will sensitive to being laughed at so much. And also because being willing to spend $100K opens up plenty of other possibilities for attention-getting vehicles without the inherent comedic aspect.

It's not just superficial, either. That design directly interferes with what a pickup does. No accessing side toolboxes or cargo over the bed, the massive market of rack and capakers has to completely redesign very straightforward products with weird geometry, no roof for roof racks ...

It's not just superficial, either. That design directly interferes with what a pickup does. No accessing side toolboxes or cargo over the bed, the massive market of rack and capakers has to completely redesign very straightforward products with weird geometry, no roof for roof racks ...
True. It has seemed like a design brain fart from the start.

Reactions: fsg2
I gotta disagree. A decade ago that'd be spot on. But off-roading, particularly overlanding, has gotten so trendy, I expect many CT buyers to be diving in without looking - even if they're just doin' it for the 'gram!!!

Expect to see Cybertrucks polluting your favorite Sedona tracks after getting beached and abandoned for the next viral sure thing.
Cramer (who really should not be commenting on cars/trucks-just look at the guy) said something that MAY be right--he did not see your middle America truck driver wanting a CT. The CT will have definite appeal with fanboys/fangirls/fanthems (I made a word because I am trans friendly!!) of Tesla on the coasts and in cities. But, IIRC, you are in the middle of the country where there is a lot of cool rugged driving. From the little I know, and I could be off here, unless there is a special off road version of the CT, that may not be what people who want to go off road will buy. The problem is we have not seen the entire range of product that CT will be, so this could change/evolve.

I agree here too, from what we know now. This does not seem to be a traditional "work truck," and maybe CT/Tesla are not going after that segment. It seems to be geared to those who want a post-modern urban assault vehicle that can absorb gunshots and arrows? There's a market for these vehicles. They are interesting looking and they do have some cool features.

My family threatened to disown me when I expressed keen interest in buying one. I was not worried about that, but when my Lightning reservation came through, I was good. I still have a little bit of Rivian envy, but many reviews I have read have complained about road noise and possible cheapness of the build. I have no reason to switch vehicles at this point, and I have heard the trade values of EVs has fallen, so I'm going to stick with my Lighting, which I am still thrilled with.

Tesla is only filling the 6 figure orders. Don’t see that much demand w/o the flippers.

I’m on my way to the game tomorrow. Charged my car in PA and 3 chargers were blocked by ICEs. Can’t believe some people are still doing this shit in 2023.

Reactions: Rutgers Chris
Cramer (who really should not be commenting on cars/trucks-just look at the guy) said something that MAY be right--he did not see your middle America truck driver wanting a CT. The CT will have definite appeal with fanboys/fangirls/fanthems (I made a word because I am trans friendly!!) of Tesla on the coasts and in cities. But, IIRC, you are in the middle of the country where there is a lot of cool rugged driving. From the little I know, and I could be off here, unless there is a special off road version of the CT, that may not be what people who want to go off road will buy. The problem is we have not seen the entire range of product that CT will be, so this could change/evolve.

I agree here too, from what we know now. This does not seem to be a traditional "work truck," and maybe CT/Tesla are not going after that segment. It seems to be geared to those who want a post-modern urban assault vehicle that can absorb gunshots and arrows? There's a market for these vehicles. They are interesting looking and they do have some cool features.

My family threatened to disown me when I expressed keen interest in buying one. I was not worried about that, but when my Lightning reservation came through, I was good. I still have a little bit of Rivian envy, but many reviews I have read have complained about road noise and possible cheapness of the build. I have no reason to switch vehicles at this point, and I have heard the trade values of EVs has fallen, so I'm going to stick with my Lighting, which I am still thrilled with.
From what I understand, the CT doesn’t have axels so it is designed for off-roading. Zero to 60 in under 3-3.5 seconds for a 7000 pound truck seems a bit unnecessary but I guess that’s the point of much of its design.

From what I understand, the CT doesn’t have axels so it is designed for off-roading. Zero to 60 in under 3-3.5 seconds for a 7000 pound truck seems a bit unnecessary but I guess that’s the point of much of its design.

Well, it has axles, it just doesn't have full-width axles. After all, there's still a connection between the electric motors and the wheels.

In 2023 that's a trait that's shared with 97% of the cars on the road, EV or ICE.

Well, it has axles, it just doesn't have full-width axles. After all, there's still a connection between the electric motors and the wheels.

In 2023 that's a trait that's shared with 97% of the cars on the road, EV or ICE.
The lack of a real differential is what I was searching for. That is supposed to make it more off road friendly.

The lack of a real differential is what I was searching for. That is supposed to make it more off road friendly.

In this day and age it's all about how traction is managed. There's actually a lot to be said for mechanical AWD systems, as they've been proven to perform better than the electronically controlled systems, at least to date. Tesla's lack of app dev controls would, IMO, increase that performance gap.

The old "Top Gear" show spent a lot of time on the capabilities of AWD systems in cars and SUVs. In one segment they demonstrated that *none* of the popular AWD SUVs could climb a wet, grassy hill. In another they tested AWD sedans on snow and the only one that could perform was an Audi A4 with the original Quattro (mechanical) AWD. That was the same episode that they capped by having the very same Audi drive straight up a ski jumping slope. Sadly, even Audi has abandoned the old Torsen-based mechanical systems and is using Haldex electronic systems across their full range, same as everyone else.

Anticipating your next question, the reason why mechanical systems have given way to electronic systems is cost & fuel efficiency. A mechanical system can split torque between front & rear, but can't go to absolute zero at either end - to some extent, the engine is always driving all 4 wheels. Electronic systems have the ability to completely disconnect the front or rear of the drivetrain when not needed, which is most of the time. They are considerably more fuel efficient.

I’m on my way to the game tomorrow. Charged my car in PA and 3 chargers were blocked by ICEs. Can’t believe some people are still doing this shit in 2023.
I agree that's it's totally lame of whomever it was blocking the chargers. Seems like a good way to get one's car keyed, just like parking in handicap spots when not handicapped or taking up two spaces in crowded parking lots.

I actually enjoyed some near-unprecedented great cooperation from my fellow drivers earlier today with both EVs and ICEs all getting the hell out of my way during my 168 mile, 4h 15m, fun drive around Northwest Jersey. Averaged 17 totally inefficient and wonderfully fun mpg (which is surprisingly consistent with what the EPA says I should get). Woo hoo! 😀

In this day and age it's all about how traction is managed. There's actually a lot to be said for mechanical AWD systems, as they've been proven to perform better than the electronically controlled systems, at least to date. Tesla's lack of app dev controls would, IMO, increase that performance gap.

The old "Top Gear" show spent a lot of time on the capabilities of AWD systems in cars and SUVs. In one segment they demonstrated that *none* of the popular AWD SUVs could climb a wet, grassy hill. In another they tested AWD sedans on snow and the only one that could perform was an Audi A4 with the original Quattro (mechanical) AWD. That was the same episode that they capped by having the very same Audi drive straight up a ski jumping slope. Sadly, even Audi has abandoned the old Torsen-based mechanical systems and is using Haldex electronic systems across their full range, same as everyone else.

Anticipating your next question, the reason why mechanical systems have given way to electronic systems is cost & fuel efficiency. A mechanical system can split torque between front & rear, but can't go to absolute zero at either end - to some extent, the engine is always driving all 4 wheels. Electronic systems have the ability to completely disconnect the front or rear of the drivetrain when not needed, which is most of the time. They are considerably more fuel efficient.

Full-time mechanical 4WDs don't, but part-time systems use single-axle drive for most conditions, until the driver locks the center diff. Locker can be electronic or mechanical and ideally joined by front- and rear-axle lockers.

More fuel efficient than full-time since you'll mostly be in FWD or RWD on roads, but part-time tends to be on big trucks and body-frame SUVs that aren't otherwise very efficient.

Cybertruck AWD uses motors at each axle, but that'll still just be electronically controlled AWD, inferior to full- or part-time 4WD for off-roading. I'm sure Elon will say it's the bestest, toughest ever, but ... no.

Munro Vehicles in Scotland actually builds a Land Rover Defender-looking electric SUV/truck with mechanical 4WD driveline.

Cybertruck AWD uses motors at each axle

Not yet.

There are single, dual and tri- motor options. The quad motor option is not yet available.

Regardless of the number of motors, there will still be axles of some length. And the torque output of those motors will be, of course, software controlled.

Not yet.

There are single, dual and tri- motor options. The quad motor option is not yet available.

Regardless of the number of motors, there will still be axles of some length. And the torque output of those motors will be, of course, software controlled.

There's only two axles 😋

Solution looking for a problem. And probably a bad idea (messing with the steering ratio).

Interesting review. I guess I’d have to try it myself to believe it doesn’t feel lame. In my SUV, I don’t miss having a manual at all. In a sports car, I would miss the manual but it’s only part of what I’d miss from an ICEV and not even the most significant part.

So I kinda am in the camp that fails to understand the point of the manual in the EV (unless they actually make it do something purposeful).

Interesting review. I guess I’d have to try it myself to believe it doesn’t feel lame. In my SUV, I don’t miss having a manual at all. In a sports car, I would miss the manual but it’s only part of what I’d miss from an ICEV and not even the most significant part.

So I kinda am in the camp that fails to understand the point of the manual in the EV (unless they actually make it do something purposeful).
Nostalgia is a purpose..

I haven’t viewed a word of this thread so forgive me is this has been covered:

My car just died so I needed to get a new car.

Drive about 20k a year so needed a car with good gas mileage. After looking around I decided that HYBRID was the way to go.

Wanted a small suv or hatchback type

Didn’t want to spend a lot

And wanted a car with good reviews / dependability

Went with the Kia Niro.

Advertised 54 mpg. First week getting 50.2 mpg.

Very happy with decision

Btw - a concept that was new to me: plug-in hybrid. Plugs in like an electric where you get up to 40 miles all electric and then after that goes to the hybrid engine. Kind of best of both worlds: if you’re diligent about charging you could be largely electric but then have the hybrid engine so you’re not hostage to needing a charging station. However was another $8k and didn’t want to bother with plugging in at this point. So went with normal hybrid. But it was enticing. Could be particularly smart option for someone who already had charging stations readily available to them (maybe for a family - having one electric and one hybrid plug-in could be a good choice)

Last edited:
Damn, I thought I wanted my next EV to be bullet/arrow proof. But how can I turn down one that can drive backwards at 170 mph?

Damn, I thought I wanted my next EV to be bullet/arrow proof. But how can I turn down one that can drive backwards at 170 mph?
If you were about to get carjacked, you might be wishing for a car that could do 170 in reverse. But... yeah, otherwise, it's a pretty silly thing.

And I don't know about you, but for me, the $2+ million price tag would be how I could turn one down. That's a lot of coin for what amounts to a toy that probably can't realistically be driven very often.

Dodge makes an electrified truck for those who need to keep truckin'

"Ram Ramcharger" is the surest indication yet that automakers need to stop reviving heritage nameplates for completely unrelated new launches, but truck looks like a nice 'tweener. I like this better than a fully electric for sure.

Dodge makes an electrified truck for those who need to keep truckin'

"Ram Ramcharger" is the surest indication yet that automakers need to stop reviving heritage nameplates for completely unrelated new launches, but truck looks like a nice 'tweener. I like this better than a fully electric for sure.

Cool, but I'm waiting for the Ram Ramcharger Rampage.

• Haha
Reactions: mildone and fsg2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT