ADVERTISEMENT

OT: EURO 2024 Thread

First match in an hour. Germany/Scotland. Going to be a great tourney as always!
Thanks for the heads up. Just a pedestrian soccer follower but I do pay some attention to the WC and Euros when they’re on.

I was wondering when someone was going to start this. Looking forward to it!

As a Pole, finding out yesterday that Lewandowski will be missing our first match Sunday vs. Netherlands (VVD being my favorite player / LFC fan) - was a real kick in the nuts.

Last edited:
Reactions: rumikenike
Outside of the US, Germany is the team I root for in these tournaments. When it rains it pours for Scotland in this match.

Germany has to avoid stupid yellow cards at this point. No reason to put yourself closer to a suspension.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Germany looking nasty
You knew they'd come to play w/the tourney on their home soil
They've got real talent. Wirtz. Gundogan. Kroos is still world class. And a guy like Havertz is in great form compared to a year ago. I think it is them, Spain, or England. Darkhorse: Switzerland or Denmark.

They've got real talent. Wirtz. Gundogan. Kroos is still world class. And a guy like Havertz is in great form compared to a year ago. I think it is them, Spain, or England. Darkhorse: Switzerland or Denmark.
The only time I'd root for England is if they play Germany (or possibly Brazil)
If they don't bring home the hardware this time, after the Euro 2020 + 1 disappointment, I'd be shocked

I think they said it’s been 40 years since a host country has won it.

After nearly throwing up in my mouth last night watching the CWS, a good night's sleep has turbo charged the smooth one for today's opener for the defending Euro champs vs. Albania

First, a brief stop in Red Bank as Mrs. Smooth competes in her inagural race, aptly named the Red Bank 5k. The little one and I will be draped in the Italian flag, beaming with pride anxiously awaiting 3pm

From there, it's onto our favorite Italian specialty store, Bella Italia in Freehold. Under the previous ownership, they always had Italy flags in there, but the food's still awesome and we've been going there for years (cue the "you sold out you fake Italian Medigan, how can you possibly cater instead of cook"), which I can't argue with

Then it's on to the main event - Italy vs. Albania. Early reports are saying 50k Albanian fans will be in the stadium, which is surprising as there's a ton of Italians living in Germany.

In typical Italy fashion, I expect them to give me a heart attack from the jump. Though severely depleted, with a ton of injuries and other guys out for various misunderstandings, you can never count us out, especially during big tournaments.

And, as always...
Forza Azzurri...
Forza Italia!!

After nearly throwing up in my mouth last night watching the CWS, a good night's sleep has turbo charged the smooth one for today's opener for the defending Euro champs vs. Albania

First, a brief stop in Red Bank as Mrs. Smooth competes in her inagural race, aptly named the Red Bank 5k. The little one and I will be draped in the Italian flag, beaming with pride anxiously awaiting 3pm

From there, it's onto our favorite Italian specialty store, Bella Italia in Freehold. Under the previous ownership, they always had Italy flags in there, but the food's still awesome and we've been going there for years (cue the "you sold out you fake Italian Medigan, how can you possibly cater instead of cook"), which I can't argue with

Then it's on to the main event - Italy vs. Albania. Early reports are saying 50k Albanian fans will be in the stadium, which is surprising as there's a ton of Italians living in Germany.

In typical Italy fashion, I expect them to give me a heart attack from the jump. Though severely depleted, with a ton of injuries and other guys out for various misunderstandings, you can never count us out, especially during big tournaments.

And, as always...
Forza Azzurri...
Forza Italia!!
I don’t think there is anyone more Italian than you living in the US.

Well, I’m more educated than I was before. Go Albania and keep the chrome coming.

Reactions: MadRU
Yeeeesssssssssss
Going to be epic!
Let's get ready for some boring play and fake injuries!

soccer-simpsons.gif

My daughter in law was born in Albania and her family is very nice and fun to be with. I believe this is the first time they have made the Euro in many years so I will root for them today despite having more Italian heritage in my background. They were telling me the other day how many Albanians were making the trip to Germany for the match.

My daughter in law was born in Albania and her family is very nice and fun to be with. I believe this is the first time they have made the Euro in many years so I will root for them today despite having more Italian heritage in my background. They were telling me the other day how many Albanians were making the trip to Germany for the match.
Blasphemy!

They said 50k Albanians are making the trip. No one is home.

No Ireland, no care.

Enjoy.
I think Ireland have a decent shot to qualify for WC 2026 for what it's worth. Depends on the draw. The striker Ferguson is a real player and they've got a few other pieces too.

That Albanian defender played that second goal exactly as I would have. Ball is coming fast and hard at my face! What should I do? Duck, of course.

I think Ireland have a decent shot to qualify for WC 2026 for what it's worth. Depends on the draw. The striker Ferguson is a real player and they've got a few other pieces too.
Well they need a manager first.

Thankfully the wine regulates the nerves

There was practically a nuclear meltdown on the first Albanian goal
One of the worst throw in in the history of soccer. Lol, luckily they took control. 70% posession. Good start!

There is a hilarious video of Albania fans breaking pasta in front of “distraught” Italy fans in Germany pregame.

Just rewatched the highlights, should have been 4-2 or even 5-2

First Albanian goal was nauseating, but like against England, the Azzurri maintained their composure after an early first goal conceded in hostile territory, controlled the game, dominated possession and eventually got the equalizer and the winner

Besides a lack of depth due to all the injuries (and Tonali being suspended), the main issue we don't have a true # 9

Scamacca is wildly inconsistent, Chiesa hasn't returned to his Euro 2021 form, and Retuggli is still considered an outlier despite producing in limited action

Chillenini was measured in his pregame analysis, but you could tell he doesn't have a lot of hope for them in this tourney (at least past the group stage)

Spain looked dominant
Is Crotoia bad, or is Spain that good?
Need to root for Albania from here on out

Reactions: daneman100
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT