ADVERTISEMENT

OT: EURO 2024 Thread

As good as Spain and Germany have looked (and I had them and England as the prohibitive favorites) - it is just the group stage. I think of the English in Euro 96 running rampant over the Dutch and then losing in pks to Germany and the Dutch in WC 2014 blitzing Spain and their group and then getting dunked in penalties.

As lifeless as the English have been - they've got players (and 4 points!). They just need to advance.

In general, looking great now is good but it is really just about advancing. Once you get to the last 8 really anybody with some breaks can win it.
True.

Me today:
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: WhiteBus
Belgium has dominated 2 games and just 1 win. They had another disallowed goal today, this one should have stood. They have just two goals so far and 3 disallowed. The first was warranted. The second one was a disaster. They didn't have clear evidence of the hand ball but deemed it close enough to call it. I thought video calls in soccer and baseball would get it right like 99% of the time. It's really no better than what they had before with just official's making the call.

They've got real talent. Wirtz. Gundogan. Kroos is still world class. And a guy like Havertz is in great form compared to a year ago. I think it is them, Spain, or England. Darkhorse: Switzerland or Denmark.
Liking this thus far but early.

Hope Mild is watching the Swiss. Thinking he would love the masterclass of pressing they are doing right now. Long way to go and Germany may figure it out, but super impressive to this point.

Liking this thus far but early.

Hope Mild is watching the Swiss. Thinking he would love the masterclass of pressing they are doing right now. Long way to go and Germany may figure it out, but super impressive to this point.

I don't claim to be an expert but the refs seem to be "letting them play"

Reactions: RUPete
And Germany wins the group. Well deserved. Some questionable non calls favoring the Swiss in the penalty area.

And Germany wins the group. Well deserved. Some questionable non calls favoring the Swiss in the penalty area.
First time in recent memory I recall rooting for Germany, I’d rather face the Swiss in the next round if we are fortunate enough to advance

First time in recent memory I recall rooting for Germany, I’d rather face the Swiss in the next round if we are fortunate enough to advance
I think you’ll beat them but they are a pain in the ass to play against. You may need a little extra wine for this one.

Wow, what a save on the Modric PK, but then a minute later, Modric puts a rebound away after another great save by Donnaruma. 1-0 Croatia. Great stuff.

Italy knows they have to score now and they're really applying the pressure to Croatia, who are defending desperately, but Italy looks almost bound to score.

And Italy ties it with about 40 seconds left in stoppage time. This is so much fun to watch.

Question is how does Croatia allow the Italian player to be so wide open in the box? They were spending too much time attacking at the end, IMO, and should've had everyone back, but didn't.

Last edited:
It's been rare that a team with 3 points goes through, but who knows? 8 minutes of stoppage time is an eternity, lol.
Point is moot now, but here's my explanation. Had Italy lost 1-0, they would have had three points and -1 goal difference. They would have needed to finish ahead of two other third place finishers

They had one in the bank. They would have definitely finished ahead of Hungary, who has three points but a -3 goal difference.

And they would have almost certainly finished ahead of the Group F third place finisher. For that not to be true, Georgia would have to beat Portugal.

- phenomenal run (follows through the middle and gets ball back after his initial touch) and pass by a defender
- phenomenal goal

....NO WAY IN HELL should there have been 8-minutes of extra time.

Reactions: daneman100
- phenomenal run (follows through the middle and gets ball back after his initial touch) and pass by a defender
- phenomenal goal

....NO WAY IN HELL should there have been 8-minutes of extra time.
My viewing was a little sporadic. Why do you say that? Were there extra delays around the penalty? I know I saw some Croatia guys cramping up causing a few more delays. But 8 is a lot of extra time.

My viewing was a little sporadic. Why do you say that? Were there extra delays around the penalty? I know I saw some Croatia guys cramping up causing a few more delays. But 8 is a lot of extra time.
I'm saying it for the same reason the announcers said it: stunning that "8" was put on the board. Should've been 5-6 tops.

Like the 10 yesterday in Scotland match made complete sense.
Yes, that’s what I was thinking about or if there is some kind of fan disruption. Although they didn’t stop play in the matches I saw when the fans threw crap on the field.

8 was a lot

Maybe it was positive referee revenge for the South Korea debacle in 2002 with the phantom offsides bs or the Euro 2000 final when they gave France too much extra time and they tied it then proceeded to win it we’re golden goal

Either way, I’ll take it and run

• Haha
Reactions: AreYouNUTS
8 was a lot

Maybe it was positive referee revenge for the South Korea debacle in 2002 with the phantom offsides bs or the Euro 2000 final when they gave France too much extra time and they tied it then proceeded to win it we’re golden goal

Either way, I’ll take it and run
You’re going back a ways Jay! Just sayin’ 😂

You’re going back a ways Jay! Just sayin’ 😂
Those losses still sting, particularly the Euto final versus France.

We got revenge at the World Cup in 06, but like they say, those crushing losses will always stay with you, sometimes even more so than dramatic wins.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT