ADVERTISEMENT

OT: EURO 2024 Thread

Yeah, I was going to ask where are all the Southgate detractors now? Beautiful goal, but if it doesn't happen and say they lose on penalties, Southgate is an idiot again for taking out Kane (even though he may have been hurt).
We're still here. Occasionally Southgate makes good moves. Kane obviously isn't 100%, something is off with him so taking him off wasn't surprising. But he misused Foden, and others, for a long time. That is my biggest gripe.

Fixture fatigue.

It was interesting to see some European clubs deny the USSF’s requests for players to play in the Olympics because they were on Gold Cup duty. Their clubs wanted to make sure they had a break.

Fixture fatigue.

It was interesting to see some European clubs deny the USSF’s requests for players to play in the Olympics because they were on Gold Cup duty. Their clubs wanted to make sure they had a break.
Chelsea had to deny Enzo and Mudryk as well. They wanted to play in the Euro/Copa and then also go to the Olympics. They need a break. If you're a top starter you basically get like 2 weeks off at this point when it's a Summer tourney cycle, never mind 2 with the Olympics.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Sounds like Southgate will be sticking around for the 2026 World Cup.

Sounds like Southgate will be sticking around for the 2026 World Cup.
Given England's record of futility in major tourneys, hard to argue with a WC semifinal in 2018 and a WC quarterfinal in 2022, plus Euro finals in 2020 and 2024. Winning on Sunday probably wins him knighthood.

Will England make this a competitive game? Or will Spain crush England like so many shallots in a sauce Madeira?

We find out in a half hour now.

England's transition to defending has been excellent. Spain is very fast transitioning to the attack, but so far, England has been quicker.

Such a pleasure watching these two teams play. The technical skill is pure. But the thing that stands out is how tactically aware all the players are in the moment. The movement off the ball is a joy to see.

They have nothing to be ashamed of - they found themselves down the stretch of this tournament, just wasn’t enough.

They have nothing to be ashamed of - they found themselves down the stretch of this tournament, just wasn’t enough.
England played well. A couple mental breakdowns at the back and Spain took advantage.

Was at a BBQ and just caught up on the DVR. Damn, really wanted to see England win. Spain was the best team in the tourney and was a bit better tonight, but England played pretty well, except for that mistake near the end, although they almost equalized it at the end of regular time - incredible defensive header off the line from Olmo. Fun game to watch.

Reactions: mildone
England loses. Finally we can get back to some sense of normalcy.
It's fine for casual fans. But now it will be an incessant amount of media stories whinging about them not winning and how they can figure out how to win the WC in 2 years. So 24 months of whining incoming.

It's fine for casual fans. But now it will be an incessant amount of media stories whinging about them not winning and how they can figure out how to win the WC in 2 years. So 24 months of whining incoming.
I know it's too simplistic, but they just need to ignore it. They're a good team that was not quite good enough today.

Reactions: mildone
I'll take Jules over Jenny
But Jenny’s eyes. A boy could lose himself in those eyes.

This is me and Jenny 🥰 🥰.

And yes, I’m fully aware that I’m teeing one up for y’all to hit out of the park at my expense. LOL

Always bet against England. Especially in the biggest spot.

Brits are happy though. They get to complain.

Southgate stepped down
Pep Guardiola up next? He's accomplished everything imaginable at the top club level at three great clubs, but has never coached a national team and what would be a greater national team coaching accomplishment than delivering a World Cup to England (looking at teams, which actually have the players to win the World Cup now, of which England is one)? Call me crazy, but he's done everything at the club level, so why not England? He wouldn't even have to move, lol.

Pep Guardiola up next? He's accomplished everything imaginable at the top club level at three great clubs, but has never coached a national team and what would be a greater national team coaching accomplishment than delivering a World Cup to England (looking at teams, which actually have the players to win the World Cup now, of which England is one)? Call me crazy, but he's done everything at the club level, so why not England? He wouldn't even have to move, lol.
Newcastle’s Eddie Howe and three former Chelsea managers, Graham Potter, Thomas Tuchel and Mauricio Pochettino, are near the top of the FA’s shortlist to succeed Southgate. Howe, who has previously described the England post as “the ultimate” job, is thought to be open to discussions should the FA approach Newcastle. Howe loves the day-to-day coaching of club management but could view the job as too good to turn down. England’s next fixtures are against the Republic of Ireland and Finland in the Nations League in September.

Southgate stepped down
Wonderful.
Seems less likely they pick a foreign manager. I just hope they don't pick another risk adverse defensive minded coach. They keep up this style of play they'll never beat a tiki taka Spain.

Wonderful.

Seems less likely they pick a foreign manager. I just hope they don't pick another risk adverse defensive minded coach. They keep up this style of play they'll never beat a tiki taka Spain.
Eddie Howe is an excellent coach. Potter is too, but has a bit of rebuilding his reputation to do after the Chelsea debacle. Not sure that was all his fault... there have been 3 full time managers at Chelsea since he was sacked towards the end of the 2023 season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT