ADVERTISEMENT

OT: EURO 2024 Thread

That comment "the dutch need the ball so they can rest, they've been chasing the ball" is laughably incorrect. I mean, they might be tired, but they're defending half the field, for the most part, and not really establishing a first defender until the ball gets down close to their defensive third. That's about as little running as a team can do on defense. And they're back quickly in transition, so they never really have to chase at all.

While appreciate counter-attacking as a strategy and also Netherland’s lethality, I still they are playing with fire and risking they won’t foul in and around the box.

That guy put a lot of English on his overreaction to the little tiny bump by the Dutch player.

England is more likely to be wearing down what with all the defending in the final third.

Both teams are kinda sluggish with their movement away from the ball when attacking.

So... can England compete with Spain?

They looked good in the first half, and then meh for much of the second. But they started looking better again after the 80th minute, despite looking more and more tired prior to then.

They've got real talent. Wirtz. Gundogan. Kroos is still world class. And a guy like Havertz is in great form compared to a year ago. I think it is them, Spain, or England. Darkhorse: Switzerland or Denmark.
Note to self for next time. Put actual money down/gamble, not just message board posts haha.

Reactions: RU848789
England, woohoo!! Maybe Southgate knows what he's doing, lol.
Yeah, I was going to ask where are all the Southgate detractors now? Beautiful goal, but if it doesn't happen and say they lose on penalties, Southgate is an idiot again for taking out Kane (even though he may have been hurt).

So... can England compete with Spain?

They looked good in the first half, and then meh for much of the second. But they started looking better again after the 80th minute, despite looking more and more tired prior to then.
Spain has looked better, to date, but this is the final with all the pressure associated with that. Big key to me is England not giving up an early goal like they have in several matches, as Spain might just shred them if they press too much to tie it up. I'm a little afraid the match will be a defensive snorefest - hope I'm wrong.

Note to self for next time. Put actual money down/gamble, not just message board posts haha.
Or just stick the money in an s&p or nasdaq index fund instead. And continue just making msg board posts with sports predictions.

I know, I know, I’m boring. 🙂

Spain has looked better, to date, but this is the final with all the pressure associated with that. Big key to me is England not giving up an early goal like they have in several matches, as Spain might just shred them if they press too much to tie it up. I'm a little afraid the match will be a defensive snorefest - hope I'm wrong.
If forced to guess, I’d pick Spain for their great recent form. But England certainly has all the talent it needs to compete and just needs to put it all together.

Might be a more open final. Spain usually doesn’t sit back. Could be a fun one.

I should have bet the final score exactly. I spent 2 full days in England and 1 full day in the Netherlands in April. I mean it was so obvious that was going to be the score... right? 😝

Big VAR decision - penalty! Kane ties it! Wasn't sure he was going to be 100% to take it after the hard knock he took. Great penalty. 1-1. This should be fun.
It was the right decision.

That being said, I thought that England needed to score one more time before the half. They gave them momentum back to the Dutch and the Dutch had it for the majority of the second half. What a phenomenal goal to end this before it went to extra time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT