ADVERTISEMENT

OT: EURO 2024 Thread

That warmed up to be fun game and some really good PKs too. Not getting the PK on target to force the save is a pet peeve of mine but not as bad as sailing it over the crossbar I suppose.

France was completely decisive on all PKs. I hate it when guys do the stutter step thing before taking it.

You would think that England and the Netherlands should advance today....but both the Swiss and Turks have been playing inspired ball.

You would think that England and the Netherlands should advance today....but both the Swiss and Turks have been playing inspired ball.
Yep, no gimmes at this stage and neither England nor the Dutch have been overly impressive. Today's game is kind of...boring, so far.

Here’s the thing that pisses me off: once they changed the rules - or decided to start clamping down / on keepers coming off their line, on PK, they should’ve stopped that nonsense as well.
That Ronaldo approach to a pk needs to be banned. Be a man and hit the ball -just like the Frenchmen did.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
The hype train may go on overload with Guler assuming he plays like I think he will today. This isn't a vintage Dutch side especially in midfield so conditions are ripe for him.

The hype train may go on overload with Guler assuming he plays like I think he will today. This isn't a vintage Dutch side especially in midfield so conditions are ripe for him.
And there he is. What a ball that was with his other foot.

Solid match ups but a shame that we had to see Germany vs. Spain and France vs. Portugal in the quarters. Oh well, that’s how the draw falls sometimes. I like Spain and England to advance. Not really going out on a limb here. 😁

Solid match ups but a shame that we had to see Germany vs. Spain and France vs. Portugal in the quarters. Oh well, that’s how the draw falls sometimes. I like Spain and England to advance. Not really going out on a limb here. 😁
Spain has by far been the best team in the tournament. I would be stunned if they don’t take the title, but France is due to start scoring on offense as well so, who knows, but I’m absolutely loving these two matchups.

Spain has by far been the best team in the tournament. I would be stunned if they don’t take the title, but France is due to start scoring on offense as well so, who knows, but I’m absolutely loving these two matchups.
My only reservation about picking Spain to advance is that they may have some key guys serving yellow card suspensions. I haven’t done a deep dive on it yet, but they may need to play a style in this game that they’re not accustomed to playing.

My only reservation about picking Spain to advance is that they may have some key guys serving yellow card suspensions. I haven’t done a deep dive on it yet, but they may need to play a style in this game that they’re not accustomed to playing.
That’s a fantastic point. Two starting defenders for Spain are out.

Was out all afternoon and evening, so I just watched the Netherlands-Turkey match and what a fun watch that was! Great goals, some awesome saves (especially the last one by the Dutch keeper) and nothing left in the tank for either team. I hope the semis live up to the teams playing - hope someone scores early in each match to open things up.

Was out all afternoon and evening, so I just watched the Netherlands-Turkey match and what a fun watch that was! Great goals, some awesome saves (especially the last one by the Dutch keeper) and nothing left in the tank for either team. I hope the semis live up to the teams playing - hope someone scores early in each match to open things up.
Turkey was better than I thought.

I hope the semis live up to the teams playing - hope someone scores early in each match to open things up.

Well, I got my hope answered of an early goal, now let's see some good action, although it was already off to a good start, as Spain probably should've scored on Fabian's header. Rooting mildly for Spain - very mildly - rooting for England to win it all.

And another fantastic goal by Spain's Olmo (don't think it was an own goal, but they need to check it). 2-1 Spain.

Edit - now they've ruled it an own goal, but it was still an amazing move and shot by Olmo.

That's some quality soccer. Crazy how much respect France is showing Spain when on defense. But I get it; Spain's the real deal. Their support play is clinical.

And another fantastic goal by Spain's Olmo (don't think it was an own goal, but they need to check it). 2-1 Spain.

Edit - now they've ruled it an own goal, but it was still an amazing move and shot by Olmo.
And they just said they revised their decision and now it's a goal by Olmo. Still hate the lack of good/timely replays at soccer matches, as they still haven't shown a good enough replay angle to tell if it's a goal or not (and they probably have one) - they could learn a lot from American sports coverage on that.

Holy crap, what a goal by Yamal, still just 16 years old (and 360 days or so, lol). This could be fun.
Very impressive. Massive pressure situation for any player, let alone someone that age. But he's demonstrating good composure and delivering.

We should all be bathed by Messi when we're infants. That's gotta be the secret. 🙂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT