ADVERTISEMENT

OT: EURO 2024 Thread

The best players on the best teams in England are not English. Something one must remember.
Foden was City's best player this year. Saka on Arsenal right there. Palmer for Chelsea. The other 3 sure. Bellingham was Real's best player winning Champs league. It's not a great argument.

Foden was City's best player this year. Saka on Arsenal right there. Palmer for Chelsea. The other 3 sure. Bellingham was Real's best player winning Champs league. It's not a great argument.
Chelsea lmao. I'm talking about good teams in England. Rodri was the best player on City for me. If I'm drafting city players Foden is middle rounds at best. Arsenal is the best argument with Saka and Rice but I'd take Odegaard over either. Obviously England hasn't produced a talent like Salah in forever if ever.

The best players on the best teams in England are not English. Something one must remember.
I get that but what they have is still way more than what you have on the Slovenias, Slovakias, etc of Europe.

I’ve never thought Southgate was that great a manager too even in their run in the last Euro but again that’s just my layperson opinion.

Reactions: RuSnp
Chelsea lmao. I'm talking about good teams in England. Rodri was the best player on City for me. If I'm drafting city players Foden is middle rounds at best. Arsenal is the best argument with Saka and Rice but I'd take Odegaard over either. Obviously England hasn't produced a talent like Salah in forever if ever.
Laughing at Chelsea but they finish top 6 and was top 3 in points since Boxing Day. Odegaard kind of stunk for a big part of the middle of the year. You mentioned Rice. Kane puts up monster numbers but he's a bit of a choker but still dominates Prem and then Bundesliga. The talent is there.

Weak arguments. Hair-splitting over whether England's players are the very top vs. slightly below that at almost every position is irrelevant vs. the argument about whether their players are much more talented than almost everyone on Slovakia. That's why if England had lost it would've been labelled a major choke job. But Bellingham may have just saved England, which may make all of this somewhat moot.

Laughing at Chelsea but they finish top 6 and was top 3 in points since Boxing Day. Odegaard kind of stunk for a big part of the middle of the year. You mentioned Rice. Kane puts up monster numbers but he's a bit of a choker but still dominates Prem and then Bundesliga. The talent is there.
Yeah I think we are arguing but I think we actually agree. If the point is England has enough talent to do better, I'm 100% in agreement. My point was basically responding to the "they have the best league in the world - so they should be great" point which they definitely do, but it's the best in the world because it has fantastic foreign players.

Reactions: Zak57
England always finds ways to blow when it matters most. This tournament will be no exception.

As my English buddies say, deep down they love to lose so they can complain.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Weak arguments. Hair-splitting over whether England's players are the very top vs. slightly below that at almost every position is irrelevant vs. the argument about whether their players are much more talented than almost everyone on Slovakia. That's why if England had lost it would've been labelled a major choke job. But Bellingham may have just saved England, which may make all of this somewhat moot.
I never made that point. My point was in response to a poster thinking they should do better because their league is the best. Scroll up and read.

Reactions: RU848789
Yes. Don't remember his big penalty miss in the WC? I think you're a spurs fan if I remember correctly so I know you won't see it that way.
Kane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Messi must be a choker too by that argument.

I think England should pull it out now. I feel like Slovakia wasn’t really trying to do anything all second half and it’s hard to turn that switch on after.

I'd rather offsides was structured the other way entirely - you're NOT offsides UNLESS YOUR ENTIRE body is in an offsides position. Would certainly add some goals.
I agree. Too many goals disallowed by players’ hands and feet offsides by inches but otherwise bodies even with the defenders.

Back in the 1990s, I refereed soccer and took classes on the offsides rule to be qualified. Then, “even was off.” Eventually, so many teams focused on defensive tactics such as offsides traps, attacking players lost initiative and the style of playing put fans to sleep.

The 1990 World Cup was a disaster of boring play and few goals. Only one team, West Germany scored more than 2 goals per game on average. Most teams averaged one or less.

FIFA reacted smartly. The offsides rule was changed, so "even was on." Goalkeepers were banned from handling passes from their teammates, eliminating the time delaying and attack killing passes from midfielders backwards to goalkeepers. Wins counted for 3 points, from 2. Referees were allowed to wear colors other than black. It worked, every World Cup since 1990 has featured more goals and fewer shootouts.

Perhaps the time has arrived to revise the offside rule again. I like the idea of the entire body in offside position.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUPete
Spain is the best team in the tournament. I’m not sure what the FIFA ranking methodology is, but they are better than 8th in the world. Maybe they hit a rough patch before Euro, not sure. But this is a damn good team.

Spain is the best team in the tournament. I’m not sure what the FIFA ranking methodology is, but they are better than 8th in the world. Maybe they hit a rough patch before Euro, not sure. But this is a damn good team.
Still very young. A lot of talent for sure.

He sounds like a gooner.

Reactions: Zak57
Ranking is based on prior results, not on form.

Yamal was the most dangerous player on the pitch... and he's only 16. Kid has a real bright future if he keeps his head on straight and stays healthy.

Ranking is based on prior results, not on form.
I get that and I know that the rankings are issued only four times a year, but I can’t imagine their “form” placed them behind some of these teams coming into the tournament. Like I said, I would need to do more of a deep dive into their pre-Euro results.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT