ADVERTISEMENT

OT: EURO 2024 Thread

Germany really getting more chances after that initial goal. Nice finish too on that last one. Still think Spain will be a tough one assuming they win but Germany has looked so much better in this tourney than they have in awhile.

Reactions: RUPete
Neuer with an amazing save at the end of the first half (probably my favorite player, since I play keeper and love his style). And a Danish goal was just disallowed for offsides. It still boggles my mind how shitty soccer coverage is wrt/slow and insufficient replays. Clearly they have them (the VAR folks see them and we often see them much later), but don't show them for some reason.

Edit: and seconds later, a PK for Germany by Havertz puts them up 1-0 (perfectly taken).

Now, they just showed the offsides from a few minutes ago and the Danish player was off by a toe - literally. While the PK was given for a glancing blow off of a hand that barely affected the flight of the ball. Hate PK rules - IMO refs should have latitude to call something less than a PK when the foul/handball really didn't prevent an obvious goal scoring opportunity.
No latitude on handballs in the penalty area. And the first disallow against Germany was deemed harsh by the color analyst. Can’t remember his name. A game of inches both ways. Germany deserved the win.

I kinda get and appreciate soccer.. and then I see these VAR rulings and think.. WHY? His whole body was well onsides and was moving toward being more onsides.. not involved initially and no advantage gained.. so.. why? Unlike Germany's first goal disallowed which was properly called a foul in real time. And worse on that Danish goal.. the guy ruled offsides was ripped down and would have gotten a penalty kick if not for the initial ruling of a goal.

And in the USA game.. red card was correct.. but Panama instigated and fouled badly and should have been called a yellow on same play. If that was a yellow then maybe we don't commit that red card foul. And the goalie going down should have been a yellow and the yellow for ramming our guy on the sideline should have been called a red card.. not a soccer play in any way.. it was a physical assault. But, I suppose, we see the same ridiculous lack of balance in calls in football and basketball...

I kinda get and appreciate soccer.. and then I see these VAR rulings and think.. WHY? His whole body was well onsides and was moving toward being more onsides.. not involved initially and no advantage gained.. so.. why? Unlike Germany's first goal disallowed which was properly called a foul in real time. And worse on that Danish goal.. the guy ruled offsides was ripped down and would have gotten a penalty kick if not for the initial ruling of a goal.

And in the USA game.. red card was correct.. but Panama instigated and fouled badly and should have been called a yellow on same play. If that was a yellow then maybe we don't commit that red card foul. And the goalie going down should have been a yellow and the yellow for ramming our guy on the sideline should have been called a red card.. not a soccer play in any way.. it was a physical assault. But, I suppose, we see the same ridiculous lack of balance in calls in football and basketball...
It’s where he is when the ball is played. And the first disallow was still bs unless we’re putting skirts on everyone during corners now.

@RUPete - congrats on Germany my man!

They look good and will be a tough out for anybody looking forward, especially at home.
Spain will still be a brutal opponent assuming they win. Thanks for the congrats - you know Italy will get back to doing damage soon!

It’s where he is when the ball is played. And the first disallow was still bs unless we’re putting skirts on everyone during corners now.
Baloney.. both the goalie and the defender who should have been with teh goal-scorer got picked.. that's not soccer. And it is where teh player is who is getting the pass when the ball is played.. and the player offsides was called on was moving back towards the ball with his whole body onsides save for a tailing toe or heel.. I for get which. This was not the typical gaining advantage by running ahead of the defender before the ball was passed. They need to change the rule to consider advantage gained.

Baloney.. both the goalie and the defender who should have been with teh goal-scorer got picked.. that's not soccer. And it is where teh player is who is getting the pass when the ball is played.. and the player offsides was called on was moving back towards the ball with his whole body onsides save for a tailing toe or heel.. I for get which. This was not the typical gaining advantage by running ahead of the defender before the ball was passed. They need to change the rule to consider advantage gained.
You’re very wrong. The disallow was called on a very off-the-ball play that had nothing to do with the cross and a very liberal interpretation of the impact on the play. The only guy who picked the Danish GK was his guy. And offsides is offsides whether we like it or not. Damn, for a guy who doesn’t follow soccer, you sure know a bunch. 😂

I'd rather offsides was structured the other way entirely - you're NOT offsides UNLESS YOUR ENTIRE body is in an offsides position. Would certainly add some goals.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
You’re very wrong. The disallow was called on a very off-the-ball play that had nothing to do with the cross and a very liberal interpretation of the impact on the play. The only guy who picked the Danish GK was his guy. And offsides is offsides whether we like it or not. Damn, for a guy who doesn’t follow soccer, you sure know a bunch. 😂
Yes.. the foul was earlier and further out, but both the goalie was interfered with as well as the defender who was marking the player that scored, temporarily on the header. Find a video and link it.. it was clear in the short replay during the game that I got a chance to replay and slow down a few times. During teh broadcast it was very brief.

This is a bad video but it is a fans view.. check out the german player looking to block the goalie.. he literally sticks his leg out to trip the goalie as he tries to go punch the ball out.. and replay it and look to the far left to see the danish player get picked off the guy going in for the header. While they may have disallowed it for the wrong reason.. there were two better reasons to disallow it. I hope you have the humility to admit you didn't see what I described earlier but see it now... or tell me that neither contact was a foul.. I think they were but if it is one of those 50-50 things itf it is a foul or not, I would not know. But I have seen it called on free kicks and corners.. and saw teams get away with it too. Heck.. in this game I saw the ref call two players to settle them down on a Dane corner over just this thing.

In terms of more complaints about soccer.. that handball.. unintentional.. hand was away from body but was not toward where the ball was.. totally unintentional and so close to German as to be impossible to pull it back. YES, a proper call.. but adjust the rule. No way to look at that was an intentional handball. But, I suppose, eliminating officials' ability to use discretion in many situations prevents corruption.

Last edited:
I'd rather offsides was structured the other way entirely - you're NOT offsides UNLESS YOUR ENTIRE body is in an offsides position. Would certainly add some goals.
Love to see them try a "blue line" kinda thing. But without 2-line fouls... allow the long balls if they are in a normal onsides position.. or behind the far blue line before as the pass is struck.

Yes.. the foul was earlier and further out, but both the goalie was interfered with as well as the defender who was marking the player that scored, temporarily on the header. Find a video and link it.. it was clear in the short replay during the game that I got a chance to replay and slow down a few times. During teh broadcast it was very brief.

This is a bad video but it is a fans view.. check out the german player looking to block the goalie.. he literally sticks his leg out to trip the goalie as he tries to go punch the ball out.. and replay it and look to the far left to see the danish player get picked off the guy going in for the header. While they may have disallowed it for the wrong reason.. there were two better reasons to disallow it. I hope you have the humility to admit you didn't see what I described earlier but see it now... or tell me that neither contact was a foul.. I think they were but if it is one of those 50-50 things itf it is a foul or not, I would not know. But I have seen it called on free kicks and corners.. and saw teams get away with it too. Heck.. in this game I saw the ref call two players to settle them down on a Dane corner over just this thing.

In terms of more complaints about soccer.. that handball.. unintentional.. hand was away from body but was not toward where the ball was.. totally unintentional and so close to German as to be impossible to pull it back. YES, a proper call.. but adjust the rule. No way to look at that was an intentional handball. But, I suppose, eliminating officials' ability to use discretion in many situations prevents corruption.
C’mon - I refuse to read all this nonsense. My initial take stands. The Danish player picked his own GK. Not even close and it was a garbage call. Stop already - you’re bias is showing.

C’mon - I refuse to read all this nonsense. My initial take stands. The Danish player picked his own GK. Not even close and it was a garbage call. Stop already - you’re bias is showing.
My bias? The video speaks for itself. Read nothing. Watch that video link. You know what I said happened.. both are visible.. on the right is goalie getting picked on the left is the defender getting picked/blocked/knocked down. I have no dog in this hunt.. no bias. But perhaps you do?

Gundogan did pick Schmiechel a bit, but as I said, right afterwards, that would've been a borderline call, just like the foul on Kimmich was. And I agree with the Danish offsides call and the handball call - they were correct, as per the rules - I just hate that there's no latitude for a ref to determine if the action affected the play and in both cases, it didn't, but I don't think they're ever going to allow that kind of latitude (just saying what I'd like to see).

https://www.foxsports.com/watch/fmc-brteuvzu80sf5spv

Biggest play of the match, IMO, was Neuer's brilliant save at the end of the first half, denying what should've been a fairly routine goal - not sure if there's anyone else better than him (still, at his age) at coming off his line. Germany looked pretty good, but will have a tough time with Spain (presumably). Kind of sucks that that side of the bracket is so much stronger, with Spain, Germany, France and Portugal (and even Belgium) vs. the other half which has...England.

Spain will still be a brutal opponent assuming they win. Thanks for the congrats - you know Italy will get back to doing damage soon!
Let’s hope
It’s all USA now, need a big win versus Uruguay tomorrow night and advance in the Copa!!

My bias? The video speaks for itself. Read nothing. Watch that video link. You know what I said happened.. both are visible.. on the right is goalie getting picked on the left is the defender getting picked/blocked/knocked down. I have no dog in this hunt.. no bias. But perhaps you do?
I do and you don’t know what you’re talking about. 😎

England about to choke again? Down 1-0 to friggin' Slovakia, who have had several other good chances (as has England). And England has 3-4 yellows already.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
England about to choke again? Down 1-0 to friggin' Slovakia, who have had several other good chances (as has England). And England has 3-4 yellows already.
For you guys who watch more often, does it seem like these “second tier” countries have caught up to the more traditional Euro soccer powers or have those traditional powers fallen back. I feel like there have been better than expected performances from countries you might not think about.

England is creating more opportunities than they were in their group games, so we’ll see what happens. But a loss would be a major choke given how things set up for them.

I don’t consider this choking at all. England has been terrible all tournament.

Southgate has no strategy. Foden and Saka on the wings have offered nothing. Palmer must come in to start the second half. To much individual play.

No changes from Southgate lol. Tethering Palmer to the bench this tourney has been something.

Why is Foden taking that free kick from that spot. Made for Trippier.

Foden’s free kicks, corners, and crosses have been terrible.

That was a good ball from Foden, Kane needs to do better with that one.

I don’t consider this choking at all. England has been terrible all tournament.

Southgate has no strategy. Foden and Saka on the wings have offered nothing. Palmer must come in to start the second half. To much individual play.
C'mon, their talent dwarfs Slovakia's, even if they haven't been playing great, so it's choking. Kane just missed a header he should put away and Foden should've been able to score that earlier goal without going offsides. And they just hit a post. England getting desparate.

C'mon, their talent dwarfs Slovakia's, even if they haven't been playing great, so it's choking. Kane just missed a header he should put away and Foden should've been able to score that earlier goal without going offsides. And they just hit a post. England getting desparate.
81 min and 0 shots on goal. Sort of remarkable.

Reactions: RUPete
Form means something, and so does coaching. Playing like shit is different than choking.

From my lay person point of view it is because this is England the home of the top league in the world and they must have a ton of talent to call on. Whether they live up to that is another story but it’s there so I see it as a big upset compared to expectations.

Reactions: RU848789 and RUPete
From my lay person point of view it is because this is England the home of the top league in the world and they must have a ton of talent to call on. Whether they live up to that is another story but it’s there so I see it as a big upset compared to expectations.
The best players on the best teams in England are not English. Something one must remember.

That England disallowed goal.. that was right. Player was ahead of the ball and all defenders.. that's on him. So unnecessary.. but, really, we have the TV angle and so does the computer check for offsides.. but neither the human line judge nor the player himself think him offsides. Heck.. we routinely see football players line up offsides before a snap.. and they have hash marks and 5-yard lines all over to help them gauge position. And despite the ball being stationary.. they still line up offsides.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT